• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

Bryan Singer's X-men 3 Revealed!

Having listened to his podcast, this is just depressing. Literally and utterly depressing. I understand it was Singer's choice but Fox technically made the choice for him with their stalling on greenlighting X3.

We would've had the first perfect trilogy in this genre had Singer and company made that film based on Doughtery's ideas.

I was seriously thinking about completing the X-Men Trilogy on blu-ray by buy The Last Stand for the hell of it. Not anymore....

Having listened to his podcast, this is just depressing. Literally and utterly depressing. I understand it was Singer's choice but Fox technically made the choice for him with their stalling on greenlighting X3.

We would've had the first perfect trilogy in this genre had Singer and company made that film based on Doughtery's ideas.

I was seriously thinking about completing the X-Men Trilogy on blu-ray by buy The Last Stand for the hell of it. Not anymore....

I am exactly the same, TLS was the only one I havent re-bought on blu-ray, was thinking about it to complete the collection but this has just depressed me so much, I wont be buying it.

I firmly believe Singer's X3 would have been the best CB movie to date, yes, even better than the over-fabled TDK, why the **** did Fox stall after X2, idiots.

And why couldn´t they be both excellent movies in their own right? What´s this thing with fanboys that everything´s like a football team, people can´t praise or be excited about one property without trying to diminish the value of another? To me there´s more than one "best superhero movie ever" and I´m thankful for that.

And spare me from "those annoying Batman fanboys think TDK is the second coming", there has been this reaction - thankfully - to Superman The Movie, X2, Spidey 2, Iron Man and a few other. If it has been particularly intense in TDK´s case, to a large extent it corresponds to the particularly intense critical and commercial success of the movie. If it´s overrated or over-fabled in a fan´s view - and everything from Godfater to Casablanca has been called that on the Internet - it´s purely personal, but the unique impact that it had is a fact. And one can only dream Singer´s X3 would have had such an impact as well, sadly.

Last edited:
I forget where i saw this, but i heard some other idea's that Singer came up with for X3 was:

Emma Frost/White Queen, being an old flame of Xavier's
Nathaniel Essex/Sinister would be part of the Hellfire Club
Bolivar Trask & his Sentinels
Arcade
no Storm, :(, but Beast

Sinister being part of HC would've been cool, because it would start his obession with Cyclops and Jean...possibly in future installements the Grey-Summers kids/clone(s) could appear

I wonder if Trask would be a member of the Hellfire society, cause in the comics Sen.kelly and he knew about the Sentinel project

The inclusion of Emma Frost is the only thing from the above list that has ever been confirmed.

WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This would've been the movie rival all movies...things I liked were:

Alkali Lake, opening, all dryed up
strange occurances happening around the world(Think Silver Surfer in F4 sequel)
Phoenix decimating mutant camps
cargo ships w/mutant slaves(possibly Genosha(??))
a strange light in the sky i.e. Phoenix
Phoenix tearing the ships apart
Phoenix feeling that she's above the "Drama" and decides to take matters into her own hands, being a 1 woman crusade, and she didn't give a damn what the X-Men thought...
Cyclops actually builds the Danger Room feeling that its his/X-Men fault that if they were faster,and better fighters Jean wouldn't have died
X-Men and Brotherhood are after Phoenix
Jean realizes her new found ablities are causing havoc
Cyclops doesn't kill Phoenix, but she decides to leave Earth and become a God and start life anew in the cosmo's and her saying, "I"ll be watching"

man even though this was just ideas, I'm really geeked once again for Singer's treatment!!! its funny becuase I have read some fanfics w/the intended Alkali lake sequence and the strange events happening...

Don't like the bolded. I don't like the idea of the interstellar / space stuff. I like the fact that the X-Men movies were grounded on Earth and reality.

And as far as Singer's apparent ideas, I don't like the exclusion of Storm.

Everything else though? Everything else sounds like it would have made for a good film. I dunno that it'd inherently be better than The Last Stand (I actually like the movie, a lot), but it'd be nice to have a movie that doesn't kill Cyclops and Xavier, and cure Rogue. So perhaps the payoff would have been worth it.

Almost anything would have been better than The Last Stand. That movie made almost every wrong decision (bussiness, creative, or otherwise) that could have possibly been made beyond the faults of the first two movies.

As for Dougherty’s ideas for Phoenix, I think they’re an interesting adaptation of the cosmic aspect of the character. I would prefer they stick with the original idea, that Phoenix is an uncontrollable Jean Grey (something I think The Last Stand got right), but, otherwise, I think it’s an interesting take.

As for being grounded, I see nothing wrong with Phoenix evolving into a higher form of consciousness. Plenty of people believe a higher form of consciousness exists in some capacity, and, in my opinion, it’s no more unrealistic than the likes of Magneto’s radiation machine. In fact, I think it’s the kind of concept the third X-Men movie probably should have tackled more. If, in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I can accept the silliness of Wolverine and Sabretooth tag-teaming a remote controlled, genetically engineered, super-mutant atop a crumbling nuclear reactor, I can accept that Jean Grey evolves into a higher form of being.

Last edited:
The problem with Singer directing X3 after Superman Returns is that Superman Returns would still exist. And I hated it. I'd perfer if he just chose X3 over it.

What a shame they never got the chance to execute these ideas on the big screen. Not everything in X3 was bad but hearing Dougherty's thoughts on how Phoenix could have been handled and the portrayal of Cyclops as a leader sounds like we imo missed out on a potentially great sequel.:(

Wonder what Dan Harris and Singer's own individual visions of X3 were? I ask this because Dougherty talks about the things he pitched and makes no mention of Emma Frost which is something Harris said they wanted to do.
I forget where i saw this, but i heard some other idea's that Singer came up with for X3 was:

Arcade

Sinister being part of HC would've been cool, because it would start his obession with Cyclops and Jean...possibly in future installements the Grey-Summers kids/clone(s) could appear

I wonder if Trask would be a member of the Hellfire society, cause in the comics Sen.kelly and he knew about the Sentinel project

If i'm not mistaken Singer hates Arcade so that would have been unlikely.And like BMM said Emma Frost was the only confirmed addition though Beast would have been also likely been an another addition.
The problem with Singer directing X3 after Superman Returns is that Superman Returns would still exist. And I hated it. I'd perfer if he just chose X3 over it.

I don't share your opinion on Superman Returns but maybe in hindsight it would have been better if he chose X3. But then again Superman might have been in limbo for years to come much like it is now.:o

^Limbo would've been better than yet another bad Superman movie.

I also wish everyone just did X3 instead of Superman Returns.

Arcade

I remember the Arcade and Sentinel rumours, but for X-Men 2, not X-Men 3. I remember the No Storm ones too, but not that she would be replaced with Beast. When did X2 come out? 03? Darn, how time flies? lol...

Almost anything would have been better than The Last Stand. That movie made almost every wrong decision (bussiness, creative, or otherwise) that could have possibly been made beyond the faults of the first two movies.
As for Dougherty’s ideas for Phoenix, I think they’re an interesting adaptation of the cosmic aspect of the character. I would prefer they stick with the original idea, that Phoenix is an uncontrollable Jean Grey (something I think The Last Stand got right), but, otherwise, I think it’s an interesting take.

As for being grounded, I see nothing wrong with Phoenix evolving into a higher form of consciousness. Plenty of people believe a higher form of consciousness exists in some capacity, and, in my opinion, it’s no more unrealistic than the likes of Magneto’s radiation machine. In fact, I think it’s the kind of concept the third X-Men movie probably should have tackled more. If, in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I can accept the silliness of Wolverine and Sabretooth tag-teaming a remote controlled, genetically engineered, super-mutant atop a crumbling nuclear reactor, I can accept that Jean Grey evolves into a higher form of being.

Agreed, I already thought TLS was absolute trash, and one of the worst CB movies ever, but this just makes me hate the fact that it exists even more. Terrible, terrible movie by Fox.

Can't believe I didn't listen to this until today. Good stuff (about X3 and writing stuff in general).

Also made me wanna watch Trick 'r Treat again. :D

you notice he dont mention wolverines role in it lol

when i think about the movie we got instead, i just think man thats depressing

.....they should get all the actors to make an animated film based on these ideas

I actually prefer the Phoenix ending we got, with her trying to kill Wolverine while he wouldn't give up and had to kill his beloved to save everyone else.
I think it's one of the few things they got right.

Not really, it should have been cyclops not wolverine

.....they should get all the actors to make an animated film based on these ideas

I always said, if they can do two versions of the Excorcist prequel, why not X3...and I did enjoy X3, just there were so many possibilities...

If they're planning X-Men 4, then they must have an idea of what they want to do after the events of X3. I'm really hoping for X-Men 4!

*Sigh*

I grew up on Singer's movies. X1 came out when I was 9 years old, and watching it with my Dad was an experience I'll never forget. Then I bought the VCR a few months later, and re-watched the movie over and over until everyone else got sick of watching the damn thing with me.

The same thing happned with X2, a few years later. We were both blown away.

When X3 came out, I watched it with a couple of friends, and I was supposed to see it with my dad later that week. I came home, and I told him not to bother. I hated it that much.

Here's to hoping X:FC will make up for it.

the list sounds nice, but don't forget that they are / were just ideas. it doesn't mean that they would end up in the movie. some thi8ngs would be scrapped by fox and other by singer.
it was singer who gave wolverine too much screentime in the first 2 movies and it was singer who made cyclops a whimp and a non visible leader.

um more like Fox pressuring Singer into making Wolverine (the most marketable character) have more story than Cyclops.

Fox did so much to cut back and hamper these movies. I bet Brian Singer's 'lacking" action sequences weren't entirely his fault but a result of having to scale back to due Fox's budget cutting demands.
Fox seemed to act similarly with Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection, seemed like those stories of those films were specific planned out to be budget conscious and studio controlled.

Fox really is such a real example of that like kind of movie purely PURELY out to not create quality films just pure money making blockbusterwhatevers with short run times, or maybe this just happened when Tom Rothman took over Fox (we alllll know his name from the X3 troubled production).

Were there any new characters for Bryan's X3?

Bryan shouldn't have left X3 in the first place. Yes it was his decision, but still it was no brainer that FOX would release a new X-movie especially when X2 became so successful and that FOX would stick with the 3-year gap and he already directed the 1st 2 movies and he still picked Superman Returns over X-Men 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"