Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk of Wonder Woman's themes and emotion has me confused. It didn't resonate with me like that at all.

I think it's because Patty embraced the older tropes of superhero films like Superman: The Movie, as a more mythical character and larger-than-life. She took the time developing Diana as a person, her personality, and fish-out-of-water bemusement in England. So when she finally strides out in full gear in the No Man's Land sequence, it is breathtaking.

It helps that Gal and Chris Pine had amazing chemistry, which made me emotionally invested in the finale rather than just enjoying the explosions and eye candy. That kind of attention to character development and building the action around them -- rather than the reverse -- it just makes for a more satisfying film.

Having a franchise where different sub-franchisees and characters mix and interact with each other is fine, but I feel that can lead to complacency down the road. Audiences want something different, and I would rather have more self-contained films if that means we get better films overall.

So far this year the DCEU seems to be winning compared to the MCU.

What 'Spider-Man's Awful 73% Friday-to-Friday Plummet Means For Sony, Marvel, And Superhero Films

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...marvel-and-for-superhero-movies/#43f63fdc1672

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Has Passed $375 Million In North America

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ed-375-million-in-north-america/#76a7657e1f80

I wouldn't really say that. Marvel Studios has guaranteed consistency, but they're getting mainly frontloaded, a la Harry Potter, where most of the fans turn out opening weekend to satisfy the demand. There are a few outliers, namely the first Avengers (a novelty), Iron Man (ditto), and Ant-Man.

And I would be willing to bet money that Wonder Woman 2, when it comes out 2019 or 2020, will be front-loaded as well. Even if the sequel is as liked by audiences and well-reviewed by critics.

Is there a comprehensive scene-by-scene breakdown of the trailer?

Is there a comprehensive scene-by-scene breakdown of the trailer?

There's a pretty good one over at Collider. You can also see the statues of Thanos and the Black Order that look friggin amazing

I wouldn't really say that. Marvel Studios has guaranteed consistency, but they're getting mainly frontloaded, a la Harry Potter, where most of the fans turn out opening weekend to satisfy the demand. There are a few outliers, namely the first Avengers (a novelty), Iron Man (ditto), and Ant-Man.

And I would be willing to bet money that Wonder Woman 2, when it comes out 2019 or 2020, will be front-loaded as well. Even if the sequel is as liked by audiences and well-reviewed by critics.

Just meant it looks like Wonder Woman will have the highest domestic box office of the CBMs this year unless Justice League really sells it.
I think people were waiting for word of mouth before going to see Wonder Woman after getting burned by BvS and SS last year.
For the sequel people will be more inclined to go see WW2 right away instead waiting to see what the word of mouth is.

Going back to the discussion of MCU being like a TV show, I've been rewatching Teen Titans and I think that's actually the best comparison. It has a balance of episodic and serialized storytelling (with some of the stuff in the episodic stories coming back later into the serial ones), and a more extreme version of the MCU's tone where it can have episodes that are completely silly and bonkers, episodes that are very dark and intense, and stuff in between.

Speaking of, man, I wish we were getting a TT movie. A TV show is a mistake. Seeing Beast Boy's powers in live action would be amazing.

Stand-alone Hulk movie with Ruffalo won't happen. :(

Stand-alone Hulk movie with Ruffalo won't happen. :(

It's so weird that they can use him in avengers movies and not in solos. They should get around it by making Avengers: Future Imperfect and just make him the lead character.

Ruffalo can't play Hulk forever. I hoped for a solo where he passes "the mantle" to a new generation. Maybe She-Hulk or whatever. Maybe they can work around it (in another team-up movie) and make it a subplot or something.

Going back to the discussion of MCU being like a TV show, I've been rewatching Teen Titans and I think that's actually the best comparison. It has a balance of episodic and serialized storytelling (with some of the stuff in the episodic stories coming back later into the serial ones), and a more extreme version of the MCU's tone where it can have episodes that are completely silly and bonkers, episodes that are very dark and intense, and stuff in between.

Speaking of, man, I wish we were getting a TT movie. A TV show is a mistake. Seeing Beast Boy's powers in live action would be amazing.

Teen Titans is actually my favorite team from the DCU!! They have everything! They feel like a genuine family rather than just co workers. Multiple strong female characters and none of that token chick crap the JL/Avengers have. Racial diversity! Cyborg, Bumblebee, Blue Beetle and Static are all very popular TT members! There's no "only one minority allowed" rule like the JL and Avengers teams seem to have. Best of all, the team has a very diverse power set! Earth benders, water bemders, alien armor, super strength, magic, telekenisis, electrokenisis, pyrokenisis, phasing, shape shifting, martial artists...etc. Makes for a really fun dynamic (ala the X-Men).

Harley Quinn, Damian Wayne, Deathstroke and the Suicide Squad made lots of appearances on TV shows (Berlanti admit that higher ups asked him to put SS on the show because there were plans to use them in a movie), video games, comics (with DW, HQ and DS getting their own series) and animated movies. It seemed to me that those characters were being pushed by DC and being put out there in preparation for an appearance in a live-action movie, and in the end all of them apart from Damian are now in the DCEU (DS hasn't appeared yet, but he has been cast). I expect Damian to turn up in the future, as he has been used a lot in the recent animated movies.

The TT have had two cartoons, three animated movies and now a live-action show. The Wolfman/Perez run that these adaptions have been based on was an excellent one. Like the characters I mentioned already, it seems to me that DC is pushing them, and has plans to use them in the movies. I would be very surprised if they do not turn up in the DCEU, unless the reaction to the live-action show is terrible.

Last edited:
So, 99.9% chance us normal people will never see the D23 Infinity War trailer but do you guys think Marvel will show anything relating to IW at SDCC next week? Or will it solely focus on Thor and BP? (not that there's anything wrong with that, i'm hyped for both of those movies)

JL's gonna bring the noise next weekend, and it'd be a suitable one-two punch on Marvel's side.

So, 99.9% chance us normal people will never see the D23 Infinity War trailer but do you guys think Marvel will show anything relating to IW at SDCC next week? Or will it solely focus on Thor and BP? (not that there's anything wrong with that, i'm hyped for both of those movies)

JL's gonna bring the noise next weekend, and it'd be a suitable one-two punch on Marvel's side.

I think they may bring the statues of Thanos and the Black Order but just focus on Thor and BP. Really curious about that JL trailer.

I disagree about Iron Man 3. Comedy is used as subversion. Black does the same kind of thing with even greater propensity in Kiss×2 Bang×2 and The Nice Guys. Yet I've never heard a word about those films in regards to that.

Probably because neither of those movies had chunks of viewers desperately hoping for some faux-Nolan indulgence. Instead they got a movie where the villain kept all the core aspects of the character *except* for the superficial bits these fans actually wanted, and the hero had to learn a lesson of "Its okay to let other people bear the burden, too" by way of the love interest taking out the villain.

So far this year the DCEU seems to be winning compared to the MCU.

What 'Spider-Man's Awful 73% Friday-to-Friday Plummet Means For Sony, Marvel, And Superhero Films

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...marvel-and-for-superhero-movies/#43f63fdc1672

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Has Passed $375 Million In North America

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ed-375-million-in-north-america/#76a7657e1f80

Be fair, its more accurate to say *Wonder Woman* is winning. It remains to be seen how Justice League will do.

Probably because neither of those movies had chunks of viewers desperately hoping for some faux-Nolan indulgence. Instead they got a movie where the villain kept all the core aspects of the character *except* for the superficial bits these fans actually wanted, and the hero had to learn a lesson of "It's okay to let other people bear the burden, too" by way of the love interest taking out the villain.
You...were watching an entirely different movie.

Plus, they apparently split up. And apparently even that wasn't the real Mandarin.

Be fair, its more accurate to say *Wonder Woman* is winning. It remains to be seen how Justice League will do.

Hence the caveat so far this year. With a $45M for a 61% drop for the second weekend of Spider-Man Homecoming compared to Wonder Woman's 2nd weekend of $58.5M for a drop of 43% it doesn't look like SMH will top WW.
And the first two Thor movies weren't big hits, so I doubt Thor: Ragnarok will pass Wonder Woman either. So as it stands right now the DCEU, which Wonder Woman is a part of, is winning this year. How Justice League does
can't change that because even if Justice League poops the bed, a DCEU movie it still the domestic box office winner this year.

So anyone else what Ruffalo had to say? A Hulk solo film will never happen because Universal don't want to play ball with Marvel.

Universal are fools. Their monster crossover franchise is DOA. All they've got is Jurassic Park. You'd think they'd want some of that Marvel money like Sony.

I think Marvel will get all of their characters back someday. It's just a matter of when.

I think Marvel will get all of their characters back someday. It's just a matter of when.

By that time Ruffalo probably won't be playing the character though which sucks. I hope they give him a quasi-solo where he's the main character like civil war and just call it an avengers movie.

I kinda get Universal's perspective. Previous Hulk films weren't hits (you could argue TIH is the only legitimate box office disappointment of the MCU), so there probably isn't a lot of incentive on their part. Sucks for us fans, though.

Just meant it looks like Wonder Woman will have the highest domestic box office of the CBMs this year unless Justice League really sells it.
I think people were waiting for word of mouth before going to see Wonder Woman after getting burned by BvS and SS last year.
For the sequel people will be more inclined to go see WW2 right away instead waiting to see what the word of mouth is.

That's a given. I expect Wonder Woman 2 put up a Beauty and the Beast sized opening ($174M+) whether the reviews are good or not. Word of mouth will determine whether people will go back for repeat viewings though.

I have a feeling WB might schedule WW2 for a spring 2020 release to assert themselves as the big film by default in April. That kind of strategy worked beautifully to Disney's advantage with BaTB this spring.

I kinda get Universal's perspective. Previous Hulk films weren't hits (you could argue TIH is the only legitimate box office disappointment of the MCU), so there probably isn't a lot of incentive on their part. Sucks for us fans, though.

Universal has right of first refusal to distributing an Hulk film, but Disney can elect to do so if Universal refuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"