Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were Kevin Fiege, or any of the bigwigs working at Marvel, I'd be chomping at the bit for the FF rights just to make a Dr. Doom Netflix series. That, in my opinion, would be the best possible way to reintroduce the brand to the public after three awful FF misfires.

Namor is a weird situation. Wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up in Black Panther 2 or something, but I doubt he gets his own solo film.

Yeah we're not seeing a solo Namor film until those distribution rights are reverted.

If I were Kevin Fiege, or any of the bigwigs working at Marvel, I'd be chomping at the bit for the FF rights just to make a Dr. Doom Netflix series. That, in my opinion, would be the best possible way to reintroduce the brand to the public after three awful FF misfires.

Yeah we're not seeing a solo Namor film until those distribution rights are reverted.

Will the Netflix series ever influence the films?

When it was just AoS in its early (very crappy) days I can imagine the film division wanting to keep completely separate from the TV/Netflix stuff and avoid any association. Now that the quality has improved so much I think the willingness will be there a bit more but maybe they are still figuring out how to do it and to what extent they want to try (probably only a light link for now, like cameos and references). That might change again where a character who would be potentially very important to the film universe like Dr Doom was given a show.

You know of all the ways I've thought to bring back the Fantastic Four I never considered a TV show from Dooms POV. That would be really interesting.

And it would be a different enough way to do it that it would carry much less baggage than another F4 film reboot.

And it would be a different enough way to do it that it would carry much less baggage than another F4 film reboot.

Yeah I think it would be a really smart move

You know of all the ways I've thought to bring back the Fantastic Four I never considered a TV show from Dooms POV. That would be really interesting.

A cool idea, but given how terribly wrong they've got Dr Doom so far I would be pretty nervous about it.

I mean, how hard is it to get Dr Doom right ? He's basically a mad scientist who wears a mask, has the worst case of megalomania in history, hates Reed Richards and talks about himself in the 3rd person ( I love that about him the most)

Before this day is ended, mankind shall grovel helplessly at my feet -- and, as fate has obviously ordained -- Doctor Doom shall be Master of Earth

doctor-doom-14.jpeg

To be honest, I've always felt that FF had a campy flavour to it (even a bit during the John Byrne classic years, now that was some great FF !)

ev8.jpg

Ah, still my favorite ever FF issue !

The Julian McMahon Doom was simply terrible, as he came off as whiny rather than crazy - and don't get me started on Tony Kebbel.

Why no one can translate Doom onto the screen effectively is beyond me.

But anyway, a series based around Doom would be interesting - but I think I'd rather someone just do a good job with the FF first.

Anyway, Marvel reacquiring FF would be a good thing, as I think, from a tonal perspective, classic FF stories would fit in well with the MCU.

A cool idea, but given how terribly wrong they've got Dr Doom so far I would be pretty nervous about it.

I mean, how hard is it to get Dr Doom right ? He's basically a mad scientist who wears a mask, has the worst case of megalomania in history, hates Reed Richards and talks about himself in the 3rd person ( I love that about him the most)

Before this day is ended, mankind shall grovel helplessly at my feet -- and, as fate has obviously ordained -- Doctor Doom shall be Master of Earth

doctor-doom-14.jpeg

To be honest, I've always felt that FF had a campy flavour to it (even a bit during the John Byrne classic years, now that was some great FF !)

ev8.jpg

Ah, still my favorite ever FF issue !

The Julian McMahon Doom was simply terrible, as he came off as whiny rather than crazy - and don't get me started on Tony Kebbel.

Why no one can translate Doom onto the screen effectively is beyond me.

But anyway, a series based around Doom would be interesting - but I think I'd rather someone just do a good job with the FF first.

Anyway, Marvel reacquiring FF would be a good thing, as I think, from a tonal perspective, classic FF stories would fit in well with the MCU.

We're talking if Marvel gets the rights back which I think we can all agree would be best for the Fantastic Four. I don't think they can handle another bad version (even though I do enjoy the Tim Story films).

Also if they were to do a Netflix series in Dr Doom in my mind it would still have the FF in it. They just wouldn't be the main focus of the show. I'd see it as more like a show where Doom is the lead but the FF are also constant characters think like Ray's family in Ray Donovan. They have their own presence almost as much as Ray but the lead is Ray.

We actually did get a boss Doom once though... Just not live action.

[YT]q5FcKAe4M1w[/YT]
[YT]My7YVK8bx8s[/YT]

[YT]Lxudn6ILIKA[/YT]

I think there have been a couple of stumbling blocks for lack of an awesome Doom that we as fans don't appreciate. While we can and should always point to Darth Vader as a way to say "See, It Can Be Done" we should accept the difficulties Doom brings to a production. First off... We all want someone of great talent behind the mask. But that's the first stumbling block to doing a comic accurate Doom. Actors and their agents are going to be a bit gun shy, whether established and respected talent or up and comers, to having the mask on at all times. They just are folks. Look, they couldn't even get Hemmsworth into the helmet for Thor 1 and he was an unknown. We all know about Tobey in the Raimi films and Chris Evans spends A LOT of time sans his head gear. It's gonna be hard to attract top tier talent with this as a fact. "Hey, give them enough money and..." Let's stop that thought right there. Sigh... Sometimes there are indeed bigger issues at play than money. If it's up and coming talent, unless they are Tom Hardy types, they want their face seen to be recognized by the audience and set the stage for bigger roles down the line. If they are established talent well, there can be ego issues. They too want to be seen. Why do you think the Doc Doom's previously came from an FX night time soap and from the world of Mocap and mostly unknown talent for Trank? The part starts off with a handicap for attracting the types of actors we want as fans, hell what film makers want as creatives. Then we have questions of tone. If you embrace the more out there and somewhat camp aspects, well, we saw that in the Story films. It's a needle that you have to thread with Doom. I love imperious, know it all, arrogant to the core Doom with his speech patterns and use of words like "cretin"... But would that work in totality for the 21st century audience on the whole? I'm not so sure. Finally... Costume or MoCap we are looking at a character that is going to require an out lay of money EVER SINGLE TIME they are on screen. Physical armor or CGI we are looking at a cost issue either way. Physical armor will bring up issues of added time and money due to a whole host of factors most fanboys shrug off but anyone that's worked on a film set know can drive up expenses in some fashion. Mocap CGI is less expensive but... We would be dealing with a story where Doom just adds to the SFX budget again since there would already be FOUR other characters requiring SFX/CGI in some fashion as well. These are just a few understandable reasons we've gotten the Doom's in live action that we have I suspect.

Physical armour is possible when done right. The folks over at Fox were just lazy. The new Doom was awful. Absolutely awful. :shrug:

Physical armour is possible when done right. The folks over at Fox were just lazy. The new Doom was awful. Absolutely awful. :shrug:

I still think that concept would have made for a great sci fi/body horror mind.

Only problem with a Doom Netflix series is that Marvel won't acknowledge it. I'd rather see a Doom spinoff movie set in the wider MCU.

finally finished watching Civil War for the first time.
one thing i wanna say about the villain is that Zemo was more convincing villain whereas Lex was more entertaining villain. tbh i liked Lex more.

I'm kinda concerned with the lack of promotion for Dr strange. It feels weird and the movie is only less than a month away over here.

It's over a month. 6 weeks from today. Marketing won't really kick in until the final 4 weeks or so.

As a character I've not much interest in Dr. Strange. But then the same was true for Ant Man, Iron Man, Cap, Guardians of the Galaxy etc, and now they're all in movies that are among my fav CBMs. The fact its Marvel doing it is what is making me anticipate Dr. Strange.

Same here.

And the more I see of DS the more interested I am in it.

Will the Netflix series ever influence the films?

At the moment it appears not. But given the immense success of the Netflix series, as well as the continued success of the film division, I think it's likely to happen in the future.

I think there have been a couple of stumbling blocks for lack of an awesome Doom that we as fans don't appreciate. While we can and should always point to Darth Vader as a way to say "See, It Can Be Done" we should accept the difficulties Doom brings to a production. First off... We all want someone of great talent behind the mask. But that's the first stumbling block to doing a comic accurate Doom. Actors and their agents are going to be a bit gun shy, whether established and respected talent or up and comers, to having the mask on at all times. They just are folks. Look, they couldn't even get Hemmsworth into the helmet for Thor 1 and he was an unknown. We all know about Tobey in the Raimi films and Chris Evans spends A LOT of time sans his head gear. It's gonna be hard to attract top tier talent with this as a fact. "Hey, give them enough money and..." Let's stop that thought right there. Sigh... Sometimes there are indeed bigger issues at play than money. If it's up and coming talent, unless they are Tom Hardy types, they want their face seen to be recognized by the audience and set the stage for bigger roles down the line. If they are established talent well, there can be ego issues. They too want to be seen. Why do you think the Doc Doom's previously came from an FX night time soap and from the world of Mocap and mostly unknown talent for Trank? The part starts off with a handicap for attracting the types of actors we want as fans, hell what film makers want as creatives. Then we have questions of tone. If you embrace the more out there and somewhat camp aspects, well, we saw that in the Story films. It's a needle that you have to thread with Doom. I love imperious, know it all, arrogant to the core Doom with his speech patterns and use of words like "cretin"... But would that work in totality for the 21st century audience on the whole? I'm not so sure. Finally... Costume or MoCap we are looking at a character that is going to require an out lay of money EVER SINGLE TIME they are on screen. Physical armor or CGI we are looking at a cost issue either way. Physical armor will bring up issues of added time and money due to a whole host of factors most fanboys shrug off but anyone that's worked on a film set know can drive up expenses in some fashion. Mocap CGI is less expensive but... We would be dealing with a story where Doom just adds to the SFX budget again since there would already be FOUR other characters requiring SFX/CGI in some fashion as well. These are just a few understandable reasons we've gotten the Doom's in live action that we have I suspect.

None of these issues seem all that insurmountable, particularly the armor. I don't see how physical armor couldn't work.

dr-doom.jpg

Not saying there wouldn't be challenges, but there are different challenges (some more than others) with adapting every comic book character. With the right hands and the right resources, a great Doom seems well within reach.

Last edited:
It's over a month. 6 weeks from today. Marketing won't really kick in until the final 4 weeks or so.

Well it comes out on the 25th of October over here. That's in more or less 4 weeks from today.

I think the villains alone are a big enough reason for Marvel to get the rights to the Fantastic 4. After Thanos, what other big threat could they use?

Plus they obviously would like to get their hands on Silver Surfer and getting the rights to the first 4 would really open things up.

No thanks to a Netflix series...I just don't think it'd work. Plus we need to see the Thing take on the Hulk.

Lately it seems you can't mention any character without someone coming in and suggesting that he/she should get a Netflix series. :o

I guess it depends, but I like how they are keeping it to the Marvel Knights. I would have liked to see Ghost Rider appear on Netflix instead of on AOS.

No thanks to a Netflix series...I just don't think it'd work. Plus we need to see the Thing take on the Hulk.
The Doom Netflix series I'm proposing wouldn't feature the FF in any significant capacity (if at all) and would mainly serve as a way to reintroduce the FF brand to the general public in a fresh, interesting way that won't have people going, "wow, another FF movie?" They could then use the character in any MCU movie going forward, particularly another FF reboot down the line.

Doom also has a great origin that would really benefit from a 13 hour series.

I'm not sure you can do Doom without the FF though.

I do think a good way to introduce the FF into the MCU is to start them off cameo img in other films. Reed could always be a friend of Bruce Banner, Tony Stark, or someone. Then go from there. Reintroducing the characters a little slower Geiger building the up into throw own film.

It depends if its an already established Doom. Suicide Squad introduced several Batman villains in a non Batman movie.

It depends if its an already established Doom. Suicide Squad introduced several Batman villains in a non Batman movie.

Oh I see maybe that could work then, only thing is he takes on the Fantastic Four so who would he take on instead? Or am I mis-judging the whole concept?

Well I guess it depends on what his role is. He might not necessarily be the antagonist. He could have a common enemy or something that aligns with his best interests that don't involve the FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"