Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview with Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes

“We do think there’s a little room for improvement,” Bewkes said. “We can do a little bit better on the creative. The DC Comics characters have a little more lightness in them than maybe what you saw in those movies, so we’re thinking about that.”

“The strategy worked,” Bewkes said. “The execution did deliver what we wanted to do. We’re right on course or better. The main thing was to launch DC and reinvigorate it with the fan base. The reboot of Batman with Ben Affleck was a big success.

In regards to the first quote I'll just repost this here....

13c4fz.jpg

How is 850 million in line or exceeding their expectations? They were expecting a billion for this surely.

I have no idea. They're in denial. They got save face somehow.

The more lightness comment translates to me as; "The one movie we made any decent profit on was light so we're going to focus on that type of approach".

Bewkes was answering questions during a Q&A with investors of course he wasn't going to say that the movies made less than they anticipated. Although in all fairness I don't think they expected Suicide Squad to gross as much as it did so that is somehow a consolation prize for BvS not grossing 1B+.

But then again, after Johns, that's another executive at Warner publicly admitting the creative shortcomings of their movies and how they need to improve on quality. That is absolutely edifying.

Last edited:
Yeah, BvS underperformed and SS over-performed. So all things considered, they're doing fine financially (especially compared to 2015; wasn't that WB's worst year in recent memory?) but not enough to say that expectations were exceeded.

Did Suicide Squad gross enough to make up for the missing $150 million from the gross desired to be accumulated by Batman V Superman?
In regards to the first quote I'll just repost this here....

13c4fz.jpg
I'm pretty sure there are physical reasons to why this commonly spoken phrase is false.
:oldrazz:

The more lightness comment translates to me as; "The one movie we made any decent profit on was light so we're going to focus on that type of approach".
That might explain how Transformers managed to collect $1 billion a movie with every despicable sequel, imagine if that franchise was dark.

Have a hand in explaining it.

The likes of Bay's Transformers is what springs to mind when I see panned schlock like SS make money.

Can someone explain to me why there's an entire subculture of DCEU fandom that responds "F ME DADDY" to anything Snyder tweets? When did this start?

Can someone explain to me why there's an entire subculture of DCEU fandom that responds "F ME DADDY" to anything Snyder tweets? When did this start?

It's probably a play on whenever a celebrity tweets something. Go look at the replies Chris Evans, Ryan Reynolds and Ben Affleck get when they tweet.

That's weird... [BLACKOUT]People want to have sex with their fathers.[/BLACKOUT]

Seriously? That's just creepy.

The problem isn't lightness, its plot and characterization. WB already tried to ape Marvel lightness to boot up a cinematic universe with GL, and look how that turned out.

Why do they respond that and I feel ashamed?
The problem isn't lightness, its plot and characterization. WB already tried to ape Marvel lightness to boot up a cinematic universe with GL, and look how that turned out.
Because that's the message they got - "at least it's funny/not grim", thus better.

Was that supposed to be a light movie?
I don't know whether it's supposed to be lighthearted or dark and more serious.

It was quite upsetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back