• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Contest Of Marvels (Season 3) - Thread 1

Diablo
Although Wendigo had a fighting chance....now where is Vanguard?
Wasp
I have seen her go giant size enough to use as a tactic, especially when knowing her foe and going in alone.
Mantis
Ronan
They are both my characters and I am still unsure who to go with but I am leaning towards Ronan just because of more options in powers

Mantis
Ultimo
Diablo
Crimson Cowl -
Granted, she's a no-name to most people. But she could easily slice Jan up whether she's big or tiny

Diablo

Wasp

Ronan
Ultimus seems the stronger powerhouse, but Ronan seems to have a better variety of powers. Either one is probably going to go a couple of rounds at least.
Mantis
Back and forth and back and forth on this one. I really wanted to vote for Valkyrie, especially with all her experience. But with her variety of powers, Mantis could edge this one out.

Ronan

Diablo

Wasp -
Good debate for Cowl though. I was pretty 50/50 most the way through.

Mantis

My Votes:

*Diablo -
Even with a debate, I do not see Wendigo winning this against such a powerful magic user.
BTW, when's the last time we saw Vanguard???

*Crimson Cowl -
Excellent first debate, Random! You convinced me. I'm so glad to see these awesome characters have a fighting chance now.

*Ultimus - This one really is a toss up, Powder. You have my sympathy for losing an awesome character.

*Valkyrie -
Definitely the hardest decision in this thread. It's almost a toss-up; but, I'm going with my gut feeling. Plus, I don't think Alcatraz has that much vegitation.

Last edited:
Just a reminder....even with spoilers, you should not be leaving comments about your own characters after debating is over. You can, though, once voting is over.

Thank you,

The Management

Jeez they are both my characters, how is saying anything going against myself...:down:

Okay good, because I thought you were being a little nuts if that was the case...:)

Diablo

Ultimus

Wasp

Mantis -
This is one that I am not quite sure about. Brunhilde is actually more powerful then your average Asgardian (she is class 45) and she is known to be an extremely skilled warrior. I did not think I would have voted against her but Powder's comments that she defeated Thor never were answerred and as such I have to give the vote for the character I like least.

Voting Is Over!

Final Results:

Diablo defeats Wendigo 10-0

Wasp defeats Crimson Cowl 8-2

Ultimus defeats Ronan The Accuser 6-4

Mantis defeats Valkyrie 7-3

CoM.jpg

Bracket 1

Match 1:

Basilisk-Basil Elks (POWDER-MAN) link

basilk.jpg

vs.

New Sun (WIEGEABO) link

newsun-1.jpg

Match 2:

Mr. Fantastic (RANDOMHAVOC) link

mrfantastic.jpg

vs.

Xi'an Chi Xan (JEWISHHOBBIT) link

xian.jpg

Bracket 2

Match 1:

Doctor Doom (RANDOMHAVOC) link

docdoom.jpg

vs.

Miss Arrow (MIDNIGHTICE) link

missarrow.jpg

Match 2:

Mesmero (HARLEKIN) link

mesmero-1.jpg

vs.

Sabra (POWDER-MAN) link

sabra.jpg

DOCTOR DOOM VS MISS ARROW

PREP TIME
With Doom's resources he'll clearly be able to find out about her. And he's famous enough that she'll know the basics about him.

Okay, she's clearly outclassed here. Doom's armor already allows him to survive without air, and thus can at least become air tight at his will. With that being the case Doom's armor is invulnerable to any attack she can possibly try.

So, there's clearly no way for her to win, at best she can try to run away and hide indefinitely. Now, if she doesn't realize this, and tries to attack, she's dead. If she tries to hide by turning into bees or something, Doom can track her down using his scanners and outrunning her by flying, and then with his level of firepower he could just decimate a large portion of forest or wherever it is that she's foolish enough to go.

Hmm... perhaps, her best choice would be to beg for mercy. Except, SHE WILL GET NO MERCY... FROM DOOM!!

Okay, I'm done.

WINNER = DOOM

OPENING DEBATE: MR FANTASTIC VS XI'AN WHOOZAWHATZIT

Okay, normally when someone's from 2099, a modern day character would know nothing about them. Reed is about the only person that doesn't necessarily apply for (other than psychics). Using his various equipment it's quite possible he'd find out about Xi'an, but we'll assume not just to err on the side of caution in regards to being fair.

Prep
Reed knows nothing about Xi'an. Xi'an knows perhaps some rough information on Reed, but nothing that would give him insight into any particular advantages.

Needless to say Reed's a top level genius in basically every scientific field. Reed knows the value of force fields (from Sue's constant use), and so would like bring a personal force field device, along with a scanner and a an energy weapon with adjustable levels of intensity.

The match
Reed would scan to locate the exact location of life signs, would rule out the animal life signs and would quickly figure out exactly where Xi'an is. He would then use his stretching ability to get a good vantage point and fire a wide beam with his energy weapon, starting at a relatively low level (enough to incapacitate a strong, normal human) and increasing it as necessary. Thus insuring knocking out his opponent while making sure not to kill him.

He would of course have his force field on during this time.

The result
A very definite win for Mr Richards.

Xi'an Chi Xan Vs Mr. Fantastic

Okay, this is a toughie but it's possible.

We all know Reed Richards. The main thing about Xi'an is that he has one hand that destroys on a molecular level in seconds (works on organic and non-organic). Basically, he touches a chair and it's dust, or a person himself. His other hand heals within seconds. He is also a master at every form of Eastern Martial Arts. He's very quick, agile, etc. He's also a very strong-willed individual and highly intelligent (nowhere near Reed, but definately not Johnny Storm :))

Prep-Time

This will benefit Xi'an. Reed has access to time machines and such but he has no way of knowing that Xi'an is from an alternate future or a means to research him. No one in the main 616 has ever heard of Xi'an. Reed would be going in blind.

Now Xi'an is lucky. The world of 2099 is a bit sketchy of the heroes of the past and even moreso on what became of them, but there was a Fantastic Four 2099 for a short time and it was really Reed Richards from some alternate past. He was dead on the exact same guy with the exact same intelligence. Xi'an knows Reed personally, and Reed has no idea who Xi'an is.

And so, during prep-time Xi'an has time to ponder this, consider everything he knows about Reed, and plan as he meditates. He has his death hand but he wouldn't use it on another human being, so that's out. Thus, he has to consider differant methods. However, being from the very advanced future, I'm sure he can find some basic stuff. The main thing though is that Reed is elastic and I think most people's first instinct there is to freeze it or melt it. Xi'an won't melt him for fear of killing him, but freezing... that's something else.

Now... I can't say I know much about freezing or whatnot, but Xi'an will. The reasoning for this is that during the X-Men 2099 series there are quite a few instances where freezing came up regularly. Cerebra froze 3 of the false X-men to keep them from degenerating and all the X-Men knew about that. Xi'an wasn't with them at the time but did show up during his bad days and stole those X-Men for the Theatre of Pain and took charge of them during his initiation and all that. It seems like frozen cryrogenics is a pretty common thing in the future, so something like that makes me think that someone as resourceful as Xi'an should have no problem finding something that can freeze a person.

Now... come the battle

They are on an Island, which doesn't really benefit or hurt either person. I'm certain Reed will have something whipped up and ready to go but Xi'an isn't going to rush into things. He's very subtle and patient. Very sneaky. He's pretty much a kung fu monk :)

Xi'an will search for Reed and Reed will search for Xi'an. They will eventually find one another and I'm certain Reed will try a gun of somekind but Xi'an is agile and fast. He was able to dodge punches by Junkpile and leap over his huge frame and such. It'll be hard for Reed to tag Xi'an. However, Reed isn't that quick and his ego is something of a hinderance and I see him relying on his tech to win, but Xi'an is hard to hit, as stated, and if he can manage to get close his hand can break all tech that Reed has.

NOTE - cutting into my stuff here for a random thought... if Reed tries to use the Island's tech to trap Xi'an, Xi'an can just break down his prison and make his way out.

Basically, what it comes down to is Xi'an will use whatever freezing means he has to freeze Reed. Whether it be a gun, caplets like Impact Webbing, a disc that emits the freezing feature... etc. Basically, Xi'an gets close and tags Reed... or from a distance with a distant blaster, and Reed is frozen in place and Xi'an wins.

Final Thought

To make it quick, what makes Xi'an in this is that he actually knows Reed Richards personally. He knows who he is, his mentality, and what he's capable of (whereas Reed's coming in blind). He has 24 hours to plan this out and the freezing option seems best. With the future tech of the 2099 universe it shouldn't be hard to come accross something that can freeze easily. Heck, today we have fire hydrants and such. 100 years from now should have great improvements in that type of thing. Not to mention that Xi'an has a history with cryrogenics, it's very much in character and possible. Then when they meet, it's just a blast and a win.

And not to belittle Reed's tech and planning, but when he doesn't know who he's planning against it isnt' as impressive or Deus Ex Machina-ish. He won't know anything about Xi'an, his powers, his mind, his past, etc. He's blind and Xi'an is coming in fully aware.

And Xi'an's fighting ability, agility, intelligence, and his destruction hand is enough to where if Reed gets a drop on him, he can defend himself until he can get his freezing attack in. And that's only IF Reed gets the drop on him. We can't assume he will.

Winner - Xi'an Chi Xan

OPENING DEBATE: MR FANTASTIC VS XI'AN WHOOZAWHATZIT

Okay, normally when someone's from 2099, a modern day character would know nothing about them. Reed is about the only person that doesn't necessarily apply for (other than psychics). Using his various equipment it's quite possible he'd find out about Xi'an, but we'll assume not just to err on the side of caution in regards to being fair.

Problem with this is, he wouldn't know that Xi'an is from an alternate future, so he wouldn't know where to look. He wouldn't find anything in the current days, but even if that makes him think he's from an alternate somewhere... think of all the other current worlds he'd have to try looking through... and then all the thousands of years in the past and the future to look through, then all the alternate thousands of years in the past and future....

So what I'm basically saying is... Reed isn't going to find anything on Xi'an. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack... but the haystack is infinite, not just a pile... but there's still just one needle somewhere in it.

Prep
Reed knows nothing about Xi'an. Xi'an knows perhaps some rough information on Reed, but nothing that would give him insight into any particular advantages.

Note true. A Reed Richards from some alternate past showed up in the 2099 and he was exactly Reed. In fact, it was rumored that it was supposed to have been the real Reed Richards from his past, only something happened to where he doesn't remember it. This wasn't confirmed though. Xi'an and Reed even knew each other, as shown in the 2099 World of Tomorrow series. Therefor, Xi'an knows everything about Reed, even down to his personality.

Needless to say Reed's a top level genius in basically every scientific field. Reed knows the value of force fields (from Sue's constant use), and so would like bring a personal force field device, along with a scanner and a an energy weapon with adjustable levels of intensity.

The match
Reed would scan to locate the exact location of life signs, would rule out the animal life signs and would quickly figure out exactly where Xi'an is. He would then use his stretching ability to get a good vantage point and fire a wide beam with his energy weapon, starting at a relatively low level (enough to incapacitate a strong, normal human) and increasing it as necessary. Thus insuring knocking out his opponent while making sure not to kill him.

He would of course have his force field on during this time.

I think this is a good strategy with one small defect. If he's firing a gun of some kind... how is it getting through his own forcefield? If he's protected and sealed in the forcefield then so would the gun I'd think, or else he wouldn't be able to hold it. Firing inside the forcefield would hurt Reed only. So thus, the forcefield would have to be turned off or not be used at all, or else Reed becomes ineffective.

And if Reed does turn off the forcefield then he becomes open for a freezing attack from Xi'an.

Another way around this is for Xi'an to freeze Reed but get the forcefield. The forcefield would freeze and Reed would be trapped. That'd either be game, or Reed would break out of it and he's vulnerable again, but this time to a quick moving Xi'an who should be right about on him with another freezing attack, this time without protection.

Winner - Xi'an

New Sun vs Basilisk

Bad, bad draw for Basilisk. Really bad draw.

Basilisk's main offensive weapon, his eyebeams, are powerful and dangerous. Potentially deadly. But not to New Sun.

If Basilisks beams (whether it be force, heat, or cold), get too be too much for New Sun, he can just convert his body to energy to escape it's effects.

Or, better yet, detonate Basilisks eyes inside their sockets. Problem solved. New Son's powers can effect living tissue (unlike 616 Gambit), and maiming or killing is something he's willing to do. This also means he could blow off other parts of Basilisk's body, or the very ground he walks on, or anything else around Basilisk. Or just blow up Basilisk himself.

New Son wins

Not true. A Reed Richards from some alternate past showed up in the 2099 and he was exactly Reed.

I think this is a good strategy with one small defect. If he's firing a gun of some kind... how is it getting through his own forcefield? If he's protected and sealed in the forcefield then so would the gun I'd think, or else he wouldn't be able to hold it. Firing inside the forcefield would hurt Reed only. So thus, the forcefield would have to be turned off or not be used at all, or else Reed becomes ineffective.

And if Reed does turn off the forcefield then he becomes open for a freezing attack from Xi'an.

Another way around this is for Xi'an to freeze Reed but get the forcefield. The forcefield would freeze and Reed would be trapped. That'd either be game, or Reed would break out of it and he's vulnerable again, but this time to a quick moving Xi'an who should be right about on him with another freezing attack, this time without protection.

Winner - Xi'an

1) Fair enough, regarding Xi'an knowing Reed. As I mentioned though, no big advantage there. Your freezing idea is novel, but really ineffective with the forcefield in mind.

2) I'm guessing your playing dumb in order to try to strengthen your debate, but this is Reed frickin Richards. Do you really think he'd have a problem whipping up a shield which he can open small holes in through which he can fire his weapon. On top of that, with his sensors he'll know where Xi'an is from a LONG ways away and be able to take him long before Xi'an can even see Richards to be able to try and freeze him.

3) Okay, you're REEEEEALLLY stretching it suggesting that Xi'an will be able to freeze Reed's shields. The shields would be made of energy, not plastic. On top of that, Xi'an wouldn't even get within range of Reed to use them, as already explained.

WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO IS NO MATTER HOW SNEAKY XI'AN TRIES TO BE, REED WILL KNOW EXACTLY WHERE HE IS VIA HIS SCANNERS, AND CAN TAKE HIM OUT BEFORE XI'AN EVEN KNOWS WHAT DIRECTION REED IS IN.

WINNER = MR FANTASTIC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"