Days of Future Past 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction - Part 4

It's a known fact that word of mouth was terrible for X3 so it had a big trail off after the debut so it's not surprising at all that DOFP is beating the dailies at the same point, it most certainly should.

It's just that X3 had such a big opening and that's what DOFP is still working against. If DOFP had a better 2nd weekend I think that would have definitely put it over X3.

Well DOFP should really have a better legs compare to X3, not only because its the better film but the ticket prices these days are much higher compare to 2006.

We can thank the Maleficent CRAZE for that poor second week.

What I'm frustrated by Maleficent's domestic gross is DOFP has so much star power, there's more characters and DOFP is basically the All-Star event of the series. While Maleficent's star power is mostly on Angelina Jolie, its not a sequel of a successful franchise, I don't think people really cared about the other actors who appeared in the film and most especially the critics didn't like it. Plus DOFP had so much early buzz compare to Maleficent. And everyone (me, BoxOffice.com, BOM) pretty much expected that DOFP would outgross Maleficent.

But given the success of Oz and Alice in Wonderland, its not really surprising that it has great legs at the box-office. And for some reason, its still trending very well online. And in my country, Malificent also outgrossed DOFP by a million. Grrr! :o Though Malificent didn't really have a big competition during its 2nd weekend/3rd weekend.

We can thank the Maleficent CRAZE for that poor second week.

Jolie appeals to the mums and women of her age group, Disney fairytales appeal to the kids and families. The trailer had excellent effects and visuals, with elements of LoTR (big battle clash running across a plain, trees coming to life) and also a sort of Harry Potter-ish vibe. I can see why it appealed to a certain demographic.

X-Men: DoFP is very much perceived as a men's movie. It was Jackman, Fassbender and McAvoy who were together on the junkets. I didn't see Jennifer Lawrence, Ellen Page or Halle Berry do promo interviews about the movie - but they should have done (or done more, if they did do any). J-Law appeals to the young women, Ellen Page could have been a draw for gay women, Halle Berry could have had a Jolie-like draw on the slightly older women.

X-Men needs to broaden its appeal - at least in the marketing if not in the actual movie. If they want as many demographics as possible to see the movie, they have to cast, write, direct and promote it with as many demographics as possible in mind.

Hopefully, X-Men Apocalypse will bring in a young Storm and Jean who have teen/female appeal. But as a mutant action disaster flick, it will probably still appeal largely to the guys out there.

A Mystique solo movie could work to broaden the appeal of the franchise, given the vast backstory of the comic book version - though much of that isn't possible now because of the way the movies have played out so far. For instance, the story where Mystique was trying to prevent a plot by Wolfgang Von Strucker, Geist and Shadow King to put a Nazi on the British throne sounds like the basis for a great movie, but doesn't really fit with the film continuity where Mystique was just a kid at the time of the rise of Nazi Germany.

many good points, xmaniac. I was expecting more promo from the actresses together, like in X1 and so, but for some reason Fox didnt do it.
To me they didnt all they could, and the USA number is a proff of that. as much as some fans think its just because X3 and Origins, but its not just about that.

- The trailer didnt came in July as past movies, but in October
- There wasnt a superbowl spot.
- There wasnt too much promo from the actresses.

So all this had a lack of impact.

Didn't Halle Berry only do Comic-Con last year and breifly mention the movie on Queen Latifah?

I know she was busy filming Extant, but at the very least she could have attended one of the premieres. She's not the star she used to be, but she would have generated a few more headlines.

She was also on Ellen.

Are people really shocked Maleficent grossed higher than DOFP? I pretty much called that a while back when people were trying to dismiss it so easily.

Never underestimate the power of a heavily female driven story/movie, I mean look at Frozen. Also, you add one of the biggest actresses of our time to the mix and the fact that Maleficent is a Disney icon and everything is there to explain it's success.

I didn't think it was better than DOFP but I certainly enjoyed the movie, it's visuals and Jolie's performance. As someone has already pointed out, X-Men will need to appeal more to a wider audience - I think DOFP certainly moved the ball into that court and now it'll be up to Apocalypse to really sell it.

Maybe cause of the demographic and the movie is an hour and a half. :huh:

Well DOFP should really have a better legs compare to X3, not only because its the better film but the ticket prices these days are much higher compare to 2006.
:huh: Ticket prices have nothing to do with legs.

Maybe you meant overall box office...

Are people really shocked Maleficent grossed higher than DOFP? I pretty much called that a while back when people were trying to dismiss it so easily.

Never underestimate the power of a heavily female driven story/movie, I mean look at Frozen. Also, you add one of the biggest actresses of our time to the mix and the fact that Maleficent is a Disney icon and everything is there to explain it's success.

I didn't think it was better than DOFP but I certainly enjoyed the movie, it's visuals and Jolie's performance. As someone has already pointed out, X-Men will need to appeal more to a wider audience - I think DOFP certainly moved the ball into that court and now it'll be up to Apocalypse to really sell it.

I felt DOFP appealed more to Marvel fans/X-Men fans in a way because of how the story drops you in and you need some knowledge of the past X flicks. DOFP was almost like a ''sorry'' to X fans for past movies that almost killed the franchise. Apocalypse could really go beyond to appeal to more general audiences by introducing the city-leveling destruction that the general audiences are used too for these movies and also introducing younger Xmen fan favorites like storm, jean, Cyclops, nightcrawler, gambit, etc....

How about not one Box office expert say maleficent making 200 Million domesticly and
Angelina Jolie's box office hits have been in Action films.

The X-Men films can't suddenly turn into something else.

The extent of roles of Cyclops,Jean Storm,and Gambit remains to be seen In Apocalypse
with the FC big 4 returning,Introducing major new villain In APocalypse,and wolverine.

Apocalypse Is adding mutants destroying citys with their powers.

Didn't Halle Berry only do Comic-Con last year and breifly mention the movie on Queen Latifah?

I know she was busy filming Extant, but at the very least she could have attended one of the premieres. She's not the star she used to be, but she would have generated a few more headlines.

I disagree. Halle is hotter now as an actress than she was a year ago this time. After the critical and financial successes of Cloud Atlas and The Call, she's certainly bankable.

Plus, as of tonight, she'll be headlining her own damn weekly TV series produced by Steven Spielberg himself. Critics are raving about the new show and the network is promoting the hell out of it (I mean, even I'm getting a tad tired of the pop up promos on Facebook :whatever: ). So no, Halle's stock is definitely rising; it's just a shame she was too busy between giving birth to her new son and filming Extant that she couldn't do more to promote Days Of Future Past. But her appearance on Ellen certainly did a LOT to raise awareness of the film.

Here's her appearance on Ellen, which features a clip of her tag-team power move with Magneto in the Sentinel battle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnhgFR_TYVg&list=LL2t5HBPAoFL3VEzbNxcejwA&index=4

Sure, you could argue it's rising.. but the question is, rising from where? Not from where it was a few years ago...

I disagree. Halle is hotter now as an actress than she was a year ago this time. After the critical and financial successes of Cloud Atlas and The Call, she's certainly bankable.

Plus, as of tonight, she'll be headlining her own damn weekly TV series produced by Steven Spielberg himself. Critics are raving about the new show and the network is promoting the hell out of it (I mean, even I'm getting a tad tired of the pop up promos on Facebook :whatever: ). So no, Halle's stock is definitely rising; it's just a shame she was too busy between giving birth to her new son and filming Extant that she couldn't do more to promote Days Of Future Past. But her appearance on Ellen certainly did a LOT to raise awareness of the film.

I'm sorry, but after X-Men: The Last Stand her career almost went down the toilet.

Cloud Atlas was divisive with critics and a box office bomb. The Call was a moderate hit yes, but it did push her forward a little. She desperately needed another X-Men film.

Plus, while I'm glad to see her in Extant, there's still the sense that SHE needs IT and not the other way around. It's difficult for ''movie stars'' to regress to television, but I think she has made the right decision.

It's more surprising to me that Jennifer Lawrence wasn't doing more promotional work for the movie.

As both Halle and Ellen had small roles, it's more understandable that they weren't out there selling the film all over the place, even though it would have been wise to have both actresses do more promotional work than we got.

Halle is still a star, no matter her past failings and her much publicised personal life.

More than likely, the promotion of the movie is linked to the specific deals made with specific actors. They're either contracted to promote it at the press junkets and talk shows, or they aren't.

Ellen still did a fair amount of promation for DOFP. With her TV show I can understand why
Halle was mostly absent from promation but Jennifer Lawrence also did limited amount of
promation.

That's not always a good thing. If it's anything like Man of Steel it just ends up feeling silly.

If we are going to see major structural damage being done, I hope it's not fatiguing and overdone like the end of Man of Steel (or any of the Transformers movies).

Mind you, the Transformers movies are indestructible and Asian markets are lapping up all that metal mayhem. So maybe a bit of disaster is what we need, especially if Storm and Magneto are helping to cause it as the pawns of Apocalypse! If you're going to have any natural phenomena in these movies, it should be at the hands of mutant powers gone wild.

It's more surprising to me that Jennifer Lawrence wasn't doing more promotional work for the movie.

Well the girl was filming Mockingjay 1 & 2 at the same time the major promotional push was going on so she can only be in so many places at once.

I think she did enough based on her already hectic schedule.

:huh: Ticket prices have nothing to do with legs.

Maybe you meant overall box office...

Ticket prices have an impact to box-office. Just like how an IMAX release would increase the box-office gross of the film.

Who knows, DOFP might have a better daily grosses right now, but who knows whats the number for the attendance.

Ticket prices have an impact to box-office. Just like how an IMAX release would increase the box-office gross of the film.

Who knows, DOFP might have a better daily grosses right now, but who knows whats the number for the attendance.

Ticket prices have an effect on overall gross yes, but has almost nothing to do with the staying power of a film tbh. If anything, films nowadays have much shorter legs than films of 10 years ago precisely because of the more expensive tickets. People are less inclined to repeat viewings since tickets are so expensive, and maybe discouraged from watching many movies in a short period of time. This means competition is an even larger factor in legs, because some people may only choose one film out of the many that are available at the cinemas.

In DOFP's case. It was released in a summer where there was a big movie releasing almost every week. People will say "What about Iron Man 3 last year? The summer had many movies too" but see, IronMan and Marvel are one of the biggest brands now and coming off a big movie like Avengers, it already helped people make the decision of "which movie out of the many out now should I watch?" X-Men used to have a similar brand power but that has obviously waned by a lot.

Maleficent is the only big film this summer that had any good legs, primarily because of Jolie's star power and her performance in that subpar movie. Backed by Disney marketing and a well known villain character from a famous fairy tale, it is no surprise that it is doing as well as it is. Disney's marketing for their movies is really strong, whereas Fox almost has a "let it fend for itself" approach. This can be seen from Disney's marketing for the upcoming Guardians, compared to Fox's for Apes and How to Train Your Dragon 2. No doubt the muted marketing for the latter has really hurt it's box office despite its stellar reviews.

I don't think Halle would promote as much as the other main cast because she was not part of the main cast. I mean as a star, she definitely is but for her role in the movie, she isn't.

Here's her appearance on Ellen, which features a clip of her tag-team power move with Magneto in the Sentinel battle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnhgFR_TYVg&list=LL2t5HBPAoFL3VEzbNxcejwA&index=4

To the bolded: Bwaahh...?

I loved Cloud Atlas but it was a financial disaster and got mixed reviews, and that's being kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"