Deathstroke Solo Movie

I just feel like this is another film no-one asked for.

So? Most great films weren't films people asked for either. Audiences aren't creatives for a reason.

Actually, you're right. There's never been and logic and reason behind these DC Films so I really should stop expecting that to change.

Warner Bros has been pushing Deathstroke for awhile now. I'm not surprised that he might be getting his own movie.

Thing is Evans was initially offered Justice League Dark. He turned that down and but made a great pitch for a Deathstroke film which impressed WB.

This is a prefect character and director fit. Hope Joe keeps the role, too. Hope it happens.

Actually, you're right. There's never been and logic and reason behind these DC Films so I really should stop expecting that to change.

I'm curious what logic needs to be behind a studio adapting its popular or interesting properties beyond...adapting said popular or interesting property.

It's like other studios, that's fine...but when WB/DC does it...

:whatever:

They've said from the first day of DC Entertainment that their goal is to adapt many of their characters.

So another dart to throw at the wall. How about Justice League come out and we get further development of the list of films that DC already has on its slate?

A Deathstroke movie directed by Gareth Evans. Why wouldn't you want this film?

Anyway...Deathstroke could be one of those elements that ties disparate elements of the DC Universe together.

Solo anti-hero. Batman villain. Relationship with Nightwing becoming Titans villain. Justice League foe w/Legion of Doom. Etc.

I'm still not sold on Manganiello as Slade, but this is an absolutely perfect director attachment! This needs to jump to the top of the fast track ASAP!

I'm so down for Gareth Evans directing this film.

Another film to add to the list of DC-related films that might or might not happen.

I like joe mangianello so I might give it a go if the script is good. And the director is a very good choice

Can somebody please explain to me why Manganiello is a good choice for Slade? Is it purely because he looks like him and has big muscles? Because it can’t be due to his acting ability, or previous film roles...

Seriously, somebody please sell me why he’s right for Deathstroke!

hahahaha! So Now they're gonna have Joe star and carry the film on his own?

I thought it was bad when he was cast in this role for Batman but no big deal cuz he wasn't the film's star. Giving Joe his own film is a terrible idea.

This could turn out to be another Suicide Squad fiasco with simply better action.

Ideally I would suggest that he was a Suicide Squad villain.
Introduce him in a current "successful" franchise and get people excited.

Follow the same pattern as Black Panther in Civil War. I'm still surprised at how well he was received, and it perfectly set him up for his own movie.

I like Manganiello's public persona and with the right role he is more than entertaining but I doubt he has the chops for Slade: I always imagined a Deathstroke movie needed a performance in the ballpark of Damon's Bourne movies. Nothing awards worthy maybe but with layers and some thoughtfullness coming through.
Should it get made and retain Manganiello, best of luck to him, here's hoping he proves me wrong.

Almost surely impossible but how would Clooney be as a choice?

The Only movie I ever liked Clooney in is From Dusk til' Dawn so personally I think he's a terrible choice.

You need someone who can play cold really well who can be both cunning and charismatic enough to make you wanna watch this character on screen.

If there's one thing I've learned from people like Robert Pattinson, Channing Tatum, and even Gal Gadot, it's to not readily write actors off before they've had a genuine chance to show what they can do.

It's great that Ledger won an Oscar for playing a comic book character, but the simple truth is a lot of these characters don't need awards-caliber actors delivering awards-caliber performances. Take Gadot for example. She's not winning any awards for her turn as Wonder Woman, yet she is now the face of the character as far as the public is concerned. Slade Wilson is a cold-blooded assassin. That's well within Manganiello's wheelhouse.

Last edited:
If there's one thing I've learned from people like Robert Pattinson, Channing Tatum, and even Gal Gadot, it's to not readily write actors off before they've had a genuine chance to show what they can do.

It's great that Ledger won an Oscar for playing a comic book character, but the simple truth is a lot of these characters don't need awards-caliber actors delivering awards-caliber performances. Take Gadot for example. She's not winning any awards for her turn as Wonder Woman, yet she is now the face of the character as far as the public is concerned. Slade Wilson is a cold-blooded assassin. That's well within Manganiello's wheelhouse.

Girls have always loved Pattinson and Tatum. Pattinson was always a talented actor though, Tatum still isn't but he excels at comedy and probably cuz he's a big goof in real life. He seems like a good dude in real life and I truly believe he keeps getting work cuz people enjoy his personality and not really cuz he's a talented actor. He just isn't.
Gadot has always had charisma but no one believed she could act so This one I'll give you.

Joe, could sell that demeanor in small doses. Which is why it wasn't bad to have him in Batman movie. But Now he's the leading man of the movie. He just doesn't have the charisma and chops for this character.
Ya, he could play any normal cold blooded assassin but could he sell us on this character?
I personally don't think so but that's just my opinion cuz I don't think he's a good enough actor to carry his own film. Hearing about any movie that would star this guy would be enough to make me not wanna watch it.

Think about it this way. Jack Nicholson is an Oscar winner who Played the Joker, Jared Leto is an Oscar winner who played the Joker, and Heath Ledger is an actor who won his Oscar playing the Joker. Now of the 3 that I listed here, Which won would you like to see get their own Joker movie, hypothetically?
My answer would be all of them without thinking about it. Cuz I enjoy all of these actors and I have a good idea of what they could potentially do with this role given an entire movie.

I've seen enough stuff with Joe to know that he works best being a goof and in small doses. Just like Tatum.

Last edited:
Girls have always loved Pattinson and Tatum. Pattinson was always a talented actor though, Tatum still isn't but he excels at comedy and probably cuz he's a big goof in real life. He seems like a good dude in real life and I truly believe he keeps getting work cuz people enjoy his personality and not really cuz he's a talented actor. He just isn't.
Gadot has always had charisma but no one believed she could act so This one I'll give you.

Joe, could sell that demeanor in small doses. Which is why it wasn't bad to have him in Batman movie. But Now he's the leading man of the movie. He just doesn't have the charisma and chops for this character.
Ya, he could play any normal cold blooded assassin but could he sell us on this character?
I personally don't think so but that's just my opinion cuz I don't think he's a good enough actor to carry his own film. Hearing about any movie that would star this guy would be enough to make me not wanna watch it.

Think about it this way. Jack Nicholson is an Oscar winner who Played the Joker, Jared Leto is an Oscar winner who played the Joker, and Heath Ledger is an actor who won his Oscar playing the Joker. Now of the 3 that I listed here, Which won would you like to see get their own Joker movie, hypothetically?
My answer would be all of them without thinking about it. Cuz I enjoy all of these actors and I have a good idea of what they could potentially do with this role given an entire movie.

I've seen enough stuff with Joe to know that he works best being a goof and in small doses. Just like Tatum.
Tatum is excellent in Foxcatcher.

Granted, I say this from limited personal familiarity with the character, but Deathstroke is a cold, calculating assassin with not much in the way of emotional nuance. I'm not expecting powerful monologues or great dramatic scenes from this particular character. Most of what I've seen from Deathstroke simply requires Manganiello to look tough, act tough, and talk tough. The character is a vehicle for spectacular action sequences. Again, perfectly within his wheelhouse.

Would I have preferred a different actor? Sure. Am I as low on Manganiello as others are? Absolutely not.

Last edited:
Tatum is excellent in Foxcatcher.

Granted, I say this from limited personal familiarity with the character, but Deathstroke is a cold, calculating assassin with not much in the way of emotional nuance. I'm not expecting powerful monologues or great dramatic scenes from this particular character. Most of what I've seen from the character simply requires Manganiello to look tough, act tough, and talk tough. The character is a vehicle for spectacular action sequences. Again, perfectly within his wheelhouse.

Would I have preferred a different actor? Sure. Am I as low on Manganiello as others are? Absolutely not.

That's Your opinion but I totally disagree with it and would call it his most dull performance today.

And if it was a movie where this character isn't the star, You'd be right to expect that but strong monologues about ruthlessness and discipline are totally associated with this character. The guy who Played Slade on Arrow would probably do a better job than Joe. Also New 52 version of Slade has quite a bit of Drama that would benefit from having a good actor on board.

I just think Joe is not the guy for this role but I don't hate him either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"