The Me Too Movement: The Sexual Harassment and Assault Thread

Damn, what a mess, whatever the truth is.

He hasn't and that is true but it also just distills the movement into an overly simplistic us vs them argument where it isn't.

But not really. He says it’s not black and white. Which is true. I know people hate on Sean Penn and by all means, hate on him, but taking his quote as controversial or something “wrong”, I don’t agree with. There’s a reason why it’s not picking up traction cause it doesn’t mean anything one way or another. Just another opinion.

Damn, what a mess, whatever the truth is.
Well, all things considered, is there any real chance she didn't do it? That she tried to switch it to him attacking her after saying nothing happened, after seeing the texts, it is hard to imagine this wasn't her raping the boy. That she is attacking people the way she criticized others for attacking victims and those that spoke out speaks volumes imo.

Is Twitter how you threaten lawsuits now? Seriously? Do people even have lives outside of Twitter or social media?

What an odd and socially maladjusted way to threaten to sue someone genuinely, via social media?? For reals!!?? Rather than post via tweet, it would have been much smarter, professional and classier to just communicate directly to her or via her attorney.

Well, all things considered, is there any real chance she didn't do it? That she tried to switch it to him attacking her after saying nothing happened, after seeing the texts, it is hard to imagine this wasn't her raping the boy. That she is attacking people the way she criticized others for attacking victims and those that spoke out speaks volumes imo.
That’s how it seemed to me but I haven’t really kept up to date with all the facts on this so added that disclaimer.

What an odd and socially maladjusted way to threaten to sue someone genuinely, via social media?? For reals!!?? Rather than post via tweet, it would have been much smarter, professional and classier to just communicate directly to her or via her attorney.

Is Twitter how you threaten lawsuits now? Seriously? Do people even have lives outside of Twitter or social media?
It’s quite pathetic. I guess there is probably other official communication too, with this being for publicity and an attempt to instantly make it look like she’s not guilty to the outside world.

Argento's seen as a joke by now, she's pretty much done. If she can get some quick cash out of McGowan, she's going to do it - hopefully she'll lose the case though.

Sean Penn is a scum bag and his judgement on many matters is iffy at best.

Penn has backed and befriended Hugo Chavez (going as far as to demand the arrest of those that call Chavez a dictator) and Cristina Fernández de Kirchner (who is the crooked former Argentinian President that is the real life version of the crooked Hillary Clinton bogeyman Clinton detractors imagine her to be).

Argento's seen as a joke by now, she's pretty much done. If she can get some quick cash out of McGowan, she's going to do it - hopefully she'll lose the case though.
Rose must be mortified. What a terrible person to ally yourself to at such an important time. Yeah hope the case is thrown out or that Argento loses money as a result, but I don’t know how U.S. law works on stuff like this.

Last edited:
Easy way to stop these types of legal cases like Argento's - loser pays the winner's legal fees. You get that mandated on the books, you stamp out so many of these moronic cases instantly.

All the evidence in the world says she slept with this kid, it's not like there's any doubt. McGowan's a stooge too, but her calling Argento on it's hardly slander.

Don't think it will ever happen where that would become a widespread catch all law. Some states have those types of legal provisions, but they are very specific as I recall.

Also, technically if that were a law, it could prevent people who are in the right from bringing forth a lawsuit. Just saying, pros and cons.

Yeah, it's of course never going to happen. That's how you stop opportunist suits though, come down hard. People aren't going to risk bringing these when they know they're out of pocket when it inevitably gets slapped down as baseless.

Well technically in lawsuits, its really only the lawyers that get rich and make money. And lawyers try to entice potential plaintiffs by telling them they will get rich. Even if they lose, lawyers still get paid.

We really need to rename this something more generic regarding sexual assault and harassment.

Man accused of kidnapping woman and *********ing on her is given ‘one pass,’ won’t go to prison

A man in Alaska who was accused of kidnapping a woman from a gas station, choking her until she passed out, then *********ing over her has accepted a plea deal that will mean he does not spend any time in prison.

Justin Schneider, 34, was arrested in August after offering a woman a ride from a gas station, stopping on the side of a road, asking her to step out under the pretense of loading items into the car, strangling her until she lost consciousness, then *********ing on her, police said then.

The victim “said she could not fight him off, he was too heavy and had her down being choked to death,” Anchorage police detective Brett Sarber wrote in a criminal complaint obtained by KTVA News. “[She] said she lost consciousness, thinking she was going to die.”

When she regained consciousness, the man zipped up his pants, gave her a tissue and “told her that he wasn’t really going to kill her, that he needed her to believe she was going to die so that he could be sexually fulfilled,” Sarber wrote in the complaint.

The victim reported the assault — as well as a license plate number — to police and identified Schneider from a photo lineup. Schneider was arrested at his job as an air traffic controller at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, KTVA reported.

Schneider was charged with one count of felony kidnapping and three counts of assault, as well as one misdemeanor count of harassment involving “offensive contact with fluids,” according to court records. He originally faced a sentence of between five and 99 years in prison, officials said.

On Wednesday, Schneider accepted a deal in which he pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree felony assault in exchange for the dismissal of his other assault, kidnapping and harassment charges. He was sentenced to two years in prison with one year suspended.

However, because Schneider was given credit for a year under house arrest, he will not serve additional time in prison. He will be required to continue wearing an ankle monitor and participate in a treatment program.

“This can never happen again,” Judge Michael Corey told Schneider in court on Wednesday, emphasizing each of the last three words.

In video from his Wednesday court appearance, Schneider told the judge he appreciated the personal growth he experienced in the past year. There did not appear to be any mention of the victim.

“I would just like to, um, emphasize how grateful I am for this process,” Schneider said in court. “It has given me a year to really work on myself and become a better person and a better husband and a better father. And I’m very eager to continue that journey.”

“All right. Thank you, sir, I appreciate those comments,” the judge replied.

The prosecutor, Anchorage Assistant District Attorney Andrew Grannik, emphasized that he made the plea deal because Schneider had no prior criminal record and seemed amenable to rehabilitation, according to the Alaska Star.

“That’s the reason why I made the deal that I made, because I have reasonable expectations that it will not happen [again],” Grannik said. “But I would like the gentleman to be on notice that that is his one pass. It’s not really a pass, but given the conduct, one might consider that it is.”

The Alaska Star reported that Schneider’s victim, described only as a 25-year-old Native American woman, was not at the hearing and had, according to police, been traumatized “to the point where she couldn’t hardly speak” after the assault.

On Friday, Alaska Criminal Division Director John Skidmore released a statement defending the plea deal after “a number of concerned citizens” criticized the sentence as too lenient. The state argued that Schneider’s victim had willingly entered his vehicle and so could not have proved beyond a reasonable doubt the most serious charge — kidnapping — at trial.

“Kidnapping requires that the victim be ‘restrained’ or moved against his or her will,” Skidmore stated. “Under these circumstances, the criminal charge of kidnapping (as defined under Alaska law) could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Moreover, under Alaska law, even Schneider’s *********ing on his victim could not be categorized as a sex crime, he said.

“Despite this limitation, the prosecutor felt Mr. Schneider needed sex-offender treatment,” Skidmore stated. “The only way to achieve that result was to have Mr. Schneider agree to the probation conditions. Thus, the prosecutor required Mr. Schneider to undergo sex-offender treatment and comply with other monitoring conditions as a condition of the plea agreement.”

Skidmore did call Grannik’s choice of words “unfortunate and misunderstood” in suggesting the sentence was a “pass.”

“The prosecutor was attempting to explain that while the agreed-upon sentence seemed lenient, it was consistent with current Alaska law and based on a thorough review of the facts of case,” Skidmore stated. “The aggressive prosecution of violent crime — especially violence against women — has always been, and remains, a priority for us.”

A Federal Aviation Administration representative confirmed that Schneider had been hired as an air traffic controller in August 2009 and that he was no longer employed by the agency.
Washington Post

I have a feeling the name Ronan Farrow is going to cause powerful mean to have nightmares.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly the guy did on her. That is way too many asterisks for what I'm thinking.

We really need to rename this something more generic regarding sexual assault and harassment.

Man accused of kidnapping woman and *********ing on her is given ‘one pass,’ won’t go to prison

Washington Post
Jesus Christ... That is messed up beyond words. If men wanna wonder about women complaining about how male deviant behavior gets laughed off or why #MeeToo is a thing there's your exhibit A.

Blame the judges at a certain point, they have the discretion on these things. That guy should absolutely do like 15 years hard time.

You also really, really have to blame the prosecutor for offering it in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"