Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like Disney's history is squeaky clean.

They sure took their sweet time with John Lasseter though...
Oh, what I mean is they don't play once it hits the news. Lasseter "disappeared" once that got out.

Here's a comment from birthmoviesdeath that sums it up for me:
"James Gunn made off-color jokes a decade ago" is the least surprising thing in the world. That it was only brought up now by the likes of Mike "Pizzagate" ****in' Cernovich - someone whose words have been demonstrably harmful - shows that this was a calculated, cynical takedown. I realize Disney's position is difficult, but it still pisses me off.
There is off-color jokes, and then there is making "jokes" about raping kids. Which is exactly why people write off-color joke instead of saying he made jokes about raping kids.

Here's a comment from birthmoviesdeath that sums it up for me:
"James Gunn made off-color jokes a decade ago" is the least surprising thing in the world. That it was only brought up now by the likes of Mike "Pizzagate" ****in' Cernovich - someone whose words have been demonstrably harmful - shows that this was a calculated, cynical takedown. I realize Disney's position is difficult, but it still pisses me off.
It really doesn't matter who uncovered them; the fact that the jokes were even still on Gunn's Twitter feed after his first run-in with Disney about distasteful blog posts shows he didn't care enough to get rid of them. That's just lazy on his part and it opened him up to them being thrown back in his face, especially in a time when people are a bit more sensitive to the types of things he was joking about nearly a decade ago and he stirred up a hornet's nest by throwing old tweets at others who happened to disagree with him politically.

Its Disney. They don't play.

Kind of a weird assessment of a company that looked at the kind of tweeting Roseanne did, and was continuing to do, and said "Okay, here's your show."

I haven't read the jokes, because the subject matter sounds bad enough as it is, and not even bothering to delete them shows a good deal of carelessness on Gunn's part. But caving in to bad faith from far right-wingers feels like a bad precedent.

Kind of a weird assessment of a company that looked at the kind of tweeting Roseanne did, and was continuing to do, and said "Okay, here's your show."

I haven't read the jokes, because the subject matter sounds bad enough as it is, and not even bothering to delete them shows a good deal of carelessness on Gunn's part. But caving in to bad faith from far right-wingers feels like a bad precedent.
And as soon as it hit the main stream, they cut her quickly. That is what they do. I also think come off the heels of that and this, the precedent should be obviously set now.

I am willing to bet the head of ABC got some heat from higher up for her decision, but then decided to back her based on the publicity.

See, this is going to be a big problem. Because society is becoming less and less accepting of the fact that people change. If bad jokes from years ago can ruin a blockbuster filmmaker's career, what are we going to do if this trend doesn't change and anyone who has ever done something stupid online is now viewed as a liability by employers?

See, this is going to be a big problem. Because society is becoming less and less accepting of the fact that people change. If bad jokes from years ago can ruin a blockbuster filmmaker's career, what are we going to do if this trend doesn't change and anyone who has ever done something stupid online is now viewed as a liability by employers?
Is it less accepting of people changing, or less accepting of people doing this stuff in the first place?

Hopefully it makes people think twice before posting certain things online so you don't have to deal with it in the first place.

Hopefully it makes people think twice before posting certain things online so you don't have to deal with it in the first place.

I agree. But the culture as a whole is becoming less and less nuanced. In my opinion, people being unwilling to accept an apology for nearly decades old tweets (As inappropriate as they were) comes from the same place as people constantly labeling things the "best ever" or "worst ever" with nothing in between. There's very little thinking and a whole lot of mobbing to extremes.

I agree. But the culture as a whole is becoming less and less nuanced. In my opinion, people being unwilling to accept an apology for nearly decades old tweets (As inappropriate as they were) comes from the same place as people constantly labeling things the "best ever" or "worst ever" with nothing in between. There's very little thinking and a whole lot of mobbing to extremes.
This isn't something that came up and then went away. This is a new revelation.

Also, the idea that we are less nuanced now, as opposed to times of far more literal repression is insane to me. People use to be killed for dating someone of the wrong ethnicity. The idea that women are lesser wasn't just common place, it was the general opinion as held by the law in the USA. Being gay was an evil disease that needed to be purged from people and this was considered "common sense".

Things didn't use to be more nuanced. They were far more simpler, and far more geared towards a very specific group.

If it’s a new revelation, why did Gunn apologize for his past tweets for the first time in 2012?

This situation is lame.

If it’s a new revelation, why did Gunn apologize for his past tweets for the first time in 2012?

This situation is lame.
In 2012, he apologized for blog and FB posts. This time around it's old tweets. That makes for two separate apologies he's had to make for posts/tweets that are very much in the same vain. For Disney not to find out about these tweets until now, it really calls into question how deep of a background check they did before hiring him for GOTG1.

Well hey, a lot of people are being outraged about Gunn and getting kudos on their Tumblrs today, so that's the important thing.

Well hey, a lot of people are being outraged about Gunn and getting kudos on their Tumblrs today, so that's the important thing.
So Tumblr and Twitter are both outraged, but on opposite sides? That sounds about right. Well from what I know Tumblr. All I go there for is gifs. :funny:

It says assault. Are we talking sexual assault, or like he well hit her? It doesn't seem to say what he is accused of.

Last edited:
show me a famous stand up comic that is known for edgy jokes who could get away with those jokes that Gunn made and have a career. :cwink:
Its not like this was normal everyday dark humor. this was specific.

show me a famous stand up comic that is known for edgy jokes who could get away with those jokes that Gunn made and have a career. :cwink:
Its not like this was normal everyday dark humor. this was specific.

Eh... You'd be surprised. Ever listen to Bob Saget's routine after he was done with FULL HOUSE?

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

:hehe:

If 9/11 jokes aren't off the table, give Gunn his damn job back. Come on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"