Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's just one person I think a lot of people would be hesitant to slam Hanks too much. More than one would cause serious problems, though.

Takei will probably be treated with kid gloves.

Why? Honestly, I don't think the dude even has much of a career to ruin.

Ahh, the attitude of Brock Turner's judge.

How's that? Brock Turner was guilty...

I'm talking about innocent people who have had their entrie lives ruined because of phoney allegations.

Guys like Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington are some of the handful of big name actors that I think are scandal free.

Hanks is a down to earth normal friendly guy. The only issues I have ever heard relating to him is his black sheep son Chet Hanks.

Denzel seems professional and devoted to his wife.

Denzel messed around with Sanaa Lathan and Eva Mendes, supposedly. But cheating and sexual harassment don't automatically go together. Those women were seemingly willing participants, assuming the rumors are true.

Cheating is normal in Hollywood.

Cheating is normal, period.

How's that? Brock Turner was guilty...

I'm talking about innocent people who have had their entrie lives ruined because of phoney allegations.

False allegations are super rare. People just assume they're a common occurrence because the media focuses on those stories. Just because it happens, does not mean it happens often.

False allegations are super rare. People just assume they're a common occurrence because the media focuses on those stories. Just because it happens, does not mean it happens often.

I understand that. But they still happen. My point is we should always strive for the truth.

Whilst it's great that all this is getting the attention it deserves... that also makes it a prime opportunity for people with grudges to come out with false accusations.

I mean let's say I'm a failed actor (and a bit of a sociopath)and I dunno, Nic Cage stopped me getting a breakthrough role. Or he treated me like a piece of **** on set. With what's going on at the moment, where every accusation is getting treated as gospel, what's stopping me accusing him of sexually assaulting me to get some revenge?

I'm not saying that is what is happening, but it is a possibility. And if even one of these allegations turns out to be falsified by a vindictive loser, it ruins credibility of the real accusations. So again, we need to be careful and think with our heads not our hearts.

Last edited:
I understand that. But they still happen. My point is we should always strive for the truth.

Whilst it's great that all this is getting the attention it deserves... that also makes it a prime opportunity for people with grudges to come out with false accusations.
Here is my problem with your argument Endless. Its a false narrative. The truth is being accused of rape rightly or false doesn't ruin lives of men all the time. Hell probably easier to argue it doesn't end up doing anything to most.

Michael Jackson, Kobe Bryant, Ben Roethlisberger, Jameis Winston, Colin Kaepernick, Cristiano Ronaldo, Roman Polanski (actually convicted), Woody Allen, Mike Tyson (went to prison), Donald Trump. How many of these men had their lives ruined?

Here is my problem with your argument Endless. Its a false narrative. The truth is being accused of rape rightly or false doesn't ruin lives of men all the time. Hell probably easier to argue it doesn't end up doing anything to most.

Michael Jackson, Kobe Bryant, Ben Roethlisberger, Jameis Winston, Colin Kaepernick, Cristiano Ronaldo, Roman Polanski (actually convicted), Woody Allen, Mike Tyson (went to prison), Donald Trump. How many of these men had their lives ruined?

Hmm you make a fair point. People with power can be like Teflon... even if they're guilty!

All I'm saying though is we should still be careful not to condemn straight away. It's easy to believe accusations against Weinstein or Sheen... But what if someone accused Hanks or Spielberg?

How ruined can Trump's life be if he's President?

Hmm you make a fair point. People with power can be like Teflon... even if they're guilty!

All I'm saying though is we should still be careful not to condemn straight away. It's easy to believe accusations against Weinstein or Sheen... But what if someone accused Hanks or Spielberg?
I think every situation is unique. But one thing I feel is certain is that a lot of things that qualify as sexual harassment and even sexual assault were not considered a problem in Hollywood or society for years. Even now many would scoff at it. So part of me is willing to believe a lot of these things happened offhand because those who did it would think they weren't doing anything wrong even if they clearly were. That said, you do need to consider the source or sources of the accusation. One of the reason the Singer situation didn't get off the ground a few years back was apparently a lot of contradiction in the potential victim's story.

None, but we still make fun of Ben Roethlisberger's indiscretion.

Tyson seems to have reformed. Charges on Kobe were dropped. All I remember about Winston's problems was that he stole crab legs from a seafood restaurant. Never heard that about Kaepernick (who's career seems to be in ruin), or Ronaldo.

None, but we still make fun of Ben Roethlisberger's indiscretion.

Tyson seems to have reformed.
And that is sad. Because there is more then a few reason to think something terrible happened in the that restroom.

Tyson hasn't reformed. He still gets angry when he is asked about it, and still says he didn't do it. At least the last time I heard about it, like a year ago. Since then he revealed he was raped as a child.

There has to be an objective middle ground betweeen disbelieving twenty women claiming the same things about the same person, and automatically crucifying someone because one reason says they did something twenty years ago (note that it being one accuser does not mean it didn’t happen, but it’s a he said/she said situation where we don’t really have enough to make a determination).

Colin Kaepernick's career seems to be in ruin, and it has nothing to do with rape.

There has to be an objective middle ground betweeen disbelieving twenty women claiming the same things about the same person, and automatically crucifying someone because one reason says they did something twenty years ago (note that it being one accuser does not it didn’t happen, but it’s a he said/she said situation where we don’t really have enough to make a determination).
There is a lot of middle ground. But a lot of what we are seeing now is the inverse to what the policy has been since man has walked this Earth. That is why so many are quick to believe. Especially those that have been through it themselves or simply seen this pattern.

There is a lot of middle ground. But a lot of what we are seeing now is the inverse to what the policy has been since man has walked this Earth. That is why so many are quick to believe. Especially those that have been through it themselves or simply seen this pattern.

So we're basically playing catch up? I think there's an argument to be made for that. On the other hand, George Takei came out and blatantly denied the accusation against him. Does he still belong on the list of the disgraced? Things are moving so rapidly right now that we're just throwing all of these guys on one big pile. I can't say I'm losing sleep over it, though. I've become numb to it all over the last few weeks.

So we're basically playing catch up? I think there's an argument to be made for that. On the other hand, George Takei came out and blatantly denied the accusation against him. Does he still belong on the list of the disgraced? Things are moving so rapidly right now that we're just throwing all of these guys on one big pile. I can't say I'm losing sleep over it, though. I've become numb to it all over the last few weeks.
I am not saying its right, but in a way yes. That is what is happening. When you tell so many people they have been lying for so long, they are quick to believe any and everything that sound similar. Especially as you have those people who still deny any such situation, unless it benefits them. See Fox News.

If Hanks were ever accused of anything other than possession of pot, I would cry.

If it's just one person I think a lot of people would be hesitant to slam Hanks too much. More than one would cause serious problems, though.

Why? Honestly, I don't think the dude even has much of a career to ruin.

Prosaic answer considering the identity politics underlying this purge; he's not a heterosexual white male.

[looks at Spacey]

Sure, it is all about identity politics.

2/3 of the unholy trifecta is still sufficient - only one doesn't really put anyone on the ****-list. Also, Takei is assisted by being a likable guy, and considering what little I know of him I actually do believe he likely isn't guilty.

As an aside, I didn't say it's all about identity politics, but I believe it's a relevant component for a lot of people.

Or a side effect of those are the ones in power in Hollywood.

Or a side effect of those are the ones in power in Hollywood.

I'd definitely say that's a prevailing trend, sure.

The identity politics part seems more indicative of who the public seems to sharpen their forks and light their torches for, I'm definitely not claiming that I think the public believes only straight, white males are guilty of this behavior. It just seems like the persecution appears to be particularly aimed in that direction, although I fully entertain the idea that I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"