Dinah Laurel Lance/Katie Cassidy Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by Thread Manager, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity9999x Registered

More average? Sure. More uninteresting? I don't think so, unless you consider making the character purposefully unlikable as more "interesting."

I really feel bad for Cassidy honestly. She's doing the best she can with really, really poor material. It's not exaggerating when I say she's easily had the worst material of the entire series. (Though oddly, right now, during what is easily the shows weakest stretch out of all the seasons, she's been handled all right).

They've just given Laurel a lot of crappy material to work with. Starting her off as Ollie's ex who he cheated on with her sister...only to reveal that she's in a relationship with Ollie's best friend, was not the best way to start her out.

Season two was even worse. It seemed like every single decision they made with Laurel was geared to make the audience hate her. It was the perfect example of how to NOT do a "lowest point" arc. Bringing a character down to their lowest point can be very interesting dramatically. However, you don't also have to make them unlikable on top of it. Game of Thrones is a great example. Jamie Lannister is reduced to his lowest moment in S3 of GOT, however, with each even that brought him lower, it made him more complex and more LIKEABLE to the audience. They did the opposite with Laurel.

And then, on top of it, they introduce a Black Canary that is both 1.) More likable, 2.) Received more training that Laurel, quite honestly, can't live up to. 3.) Is played by an actress with a greater aptitude for the physical nature of the role.

So once again, it's like they set Cassidy up for failure. They've been doing better this season, but honestly, it's only better because they're writing her in a way that doesn't make us hate her. And they completely rushed her arc. I never once believe that Laurel could, or should be able to hold her own on the streets. Her training has been laughably minimalistic, but I'm accepting it because I don't honestly think the writers are capable of giving her a good "growing" arc at this point.

2. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I didn't see what was so unlikable about her in S1. So what if she dated Olivers best friend who is also her friend from childhood. Oliver slept with her sister and continued to sleep around in S1, then he sleeps with her sister again when she appears to be a live and back in town without even telling her. So what if she has mixed feelings about Oliver in S1, he was the love of her life up until that point, she despised him for cheating on him and his role in her sisters death but she also felt bad for him for everything he had gone through.

The females always get the harshest critiques in this show if they arent happy go lucky.

3. Kar Registered

I just hope Laurel gets dirtied up a bit. Look a little rough as Black Canary. She comes off too dolled up for me as opposed to Sara who looked a little grittier in costume.

I miss Sara :( but I'm hoping they really bring the Canary out of Laurel by the end of this season.

4. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I think its just the overall look. I mean what more do you want from this:
    [​IMG]

Unless you mean dirty dirty, which I dont think I remember Sara ever really getting dirty lol.

5. Kar Registered

I think its the lipstick and how her wig always looks neat to me. That might be it.

6. Mikelus Intellectualis

Is not just chemistry, Colin Donnell is also more expressive than Stephen Amell, hence the scenes between Tommy and Thea are better too, Amell lacks that spark better actors have.

7. coluanprime Registered

The wig is okay, I just wish she'd go with a lighter lipstick. Her current one is almost black and it makes her look really weird.

8. Nathan Registered

I'm not a fan of Laurel putting on all that make up. So every time she suits up, to keep the streets safe, she first puts on some eye liner, lipstick, and paints all her nails. What happens when she quickly needs to ditch the mask and wig, does all the make up suddenly disappear, just like Ollie's grease paint would at times?

9. luis4u Registered

[​IMG][​IMG]

please no more secrets

10. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Look how long Oliver used his face paint. Aren't her nails black? Probably her usual nail polish color.

11. kane9321 oakland's finest

I just want her to die...she's the worst thing about arrow
    And it's not even close

12. kane9321 oakland's finest

I'd like to push the bit$$ down a flight of stairs and be done with her insufferable self

#987 kane9321, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  13. herolee10 No More Miracles

I wonder if Laurel will ever have a season where she doesn't end up being on the bad side of her Father's anger/disapproval.lol

I mean, it'd just be nice to see Laurel actually go through a period where she's enjoying life and being who she is.

I think the only time we ever got a dose of that was in her one short scene in "The Brave and the Bold" where she was talking to Oliver about how the Arrow appeared in Central City as Barry was talking to her dad. She actually looked happy and content right then and there.

And the irony here is that, if you took away Sara being dead and Laurel having to lie about it to her Dad, then it actually looked like that Laurel and her dad were finally at a good place with each other.

14. Hunter Rider Ronin

I disagree here, no wig is worse than that Worzel Gummidge thing Ollie was sporting under his cap last night. :oldrazz:

Nah it's not that, Ollie is the way he is because of what he has been through, hence how Amell plays him, Tommy was for most of his time on the show happy and mostly care free in his attitude, not carrying the burdens that weigh Ollie down, very different things needed for each role.

15. luis4u Registered

16. luis4u Registered

fix version [​IMG]

17. zenith16 Registered

the mask on the right looks better

18. Nathan Registered

Getting rid of the black lipstick really helps the look.

19. Boy Scout Registered

It's the exact same mask. Whoever created the image just made it look like there's makeup under it.

20. zenith16 Registered

your right I mistook it for the same layer used on batman masks but it is make up & yeah the different style of lips stick does help her look better the the Gothic black. the form just doesn't suit her

21. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Just had to post this since it reminded me of the Black Canary/make up thing
    [​IMG]

Everyone on that team must be very quick in changing between casual/costume lol.

22. az824 Registered

I think the black makeup is so illogical. I think it started with Burtons batman, but I hate that they've kept it. I like that laurels mask doesn't use make up under it because it makes sense. And in the newest pics she's posted on Twitter and Instagram, she's wearing red lipstick instead of the black. So she will look better in the next few episodes

23. Sterling Archer Registered

It's illogical yes, but I'd be lying if I said masks didn't look better with makeup underneath.

24. yonny616 Registered

The one on the right looks way better! And I love the current costume they're using.

25. SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

I agree, I like the current costume, but I do see a thread when it comes to females. Other than Cupid, who was supposed to have some sex appeal, none of the other females do when it comes to costumes. They all have their chests completely covered.

Now, I've always hated how over-sexualized women have been in comics, but from a simliar perspective of comfort, all of these costumes, men included, look like they too covered to the point where I feel hot just looking at them run around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.