Arrow Dinah Laurel Lance/Katie Cassidy Thread - Part 5

Discussion in 'Past DC TV Series' started by Thread Manager, Feb 12, 2018.

1. cheungcheung Registered

Her being DA makes no sense at all.....

ludovica likes this.
  2. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

This x100. I think it is short sighted, lazy and flat out stupid to have her become an ADA. The character is sooooo much better suited for legal aid. Generally speaking pro bono legal services lawyers are more pro justice and crusaders than prosecutors who tend to fit the mold of government stooge more. I loved her being a pro bono lawyer as it harkened more to comics Ollie and Dinah where they are grass roots for the people crusaders. I actually think comics Ollie wouldn’t be trusting of an ADA.

3. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Unfortunately looks like another Laurel-less Crossover.

4. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

What's happened to Siren X? Can we get her back for a guest appearance in Arrow? It would be great to have her fight Black Siren. It would be almost the equivalent of Black Siren now assuming the Black Canary identity and Siren X assuming the former Black Siren identity.

Is Siren X not also stuck locked up on Earth 1 somewhere?

5. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

They never bothered to reveal what happened to her but I'm pretty sure that she was taken back to E-X to face justice for her crimes.

This years crossover would've been the perfect time to show us (a) Laurel as Black Canary again. And if she ever suits up again, I wonder if she will get a bit of a makeover costume wise to showcase her new anti-hero stance.

6. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Isn't Earth X overrun with Nazis though? It's essentially a Nazi earth. Why would she be facing justice for her crimes there? That's like sending a Nazi back to the Nazis. They're going to applaud her there, not lock her up.

I thought maybe she was locked up here somewhere on Earth 1. After all, Black Siren was locked up here. She didn't get sent back to Earth 2.

7. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

The crossover ended with them breaking up the Nazi regime and Siren-X was one of the few left trying to rebuild it. Black Siren didnt have anyone from E2 who was interested in taking her back. Citizen Cold was and most likely took her back with him when he went back to X.

8. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Well she can always come back to earth 1. If she got here before she can get here again.

9. Deltron3030 Registered

Rewatching season 1 the last few days. I actually liked her character this season. Her acting seems better and she was way hotter as a brunette. Her losing weight and turning her into a vigilante was the death of her character. Not sure why but her acting is so bad now. I think her acting style was better suited for a non vigilante role.

10. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I agree that she was her best in season 1. Then she was awful in seasons 2-4. I actually like her as Black Siren. They’re really doing some interesting things with the character.

11. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

While I always enjoyed her for the most part, you could definitely tell that the lesser material she got to play with the more bored she seemed and less she gave. But I think she did a great job in the back half of S4 right before they killed her off since they actually gave her good material and figured out how to use the character but then of course she got killed. 5x10 is one of my fave performances of hers in the show since she just let loose. First half of S6 she didnt have to flex any acting chops so it wasnt anything special but especially this year she has returned to her A game.

Forever a shame she isnt allowed to be a fully realized Black Canary.
    upload_2018-11-26_18-21-25.png

LightDaggers likes this.
  12. WhoMani Registered

I always thought that Laurel was one of the best characters in season one of Arrow... I never really understood the hate that she received from the fans.

Awest66, Lobo and LightDaggers like this.
  13. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

They constantly had her bad mouth the hero of the show lol. I like(d) her but they didnt do anything to make the audience like her or be on her side (even if she was in the right). MG and co. drove her and that Laurel/Oliver relationship into the ground SO FAST I got whiplash lol.

14. Thome216 Registered

One of the reasons why I stopped watching. She was one of my fav characters. So glad she's back and getting good scenes.

15. Legendver2 Registered

She never badmouthed the hero in season 1 though. She was actually one of the few who was on Arrow's side until they flipped that in season 2.

16. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

She was on The Hoods side but her and Olivers relationship involved a lot of bickering.

17. b_boy Registered

Laurel, as a character, did have a very good storyline. The thing is, everybody was expecting Black Canary, and Laurel, as the comic book Black Canary, was far away from it as possible. And a lot of her fan base came from the Supernatural tv show expecting Ruby pt 2 (kickass blond, with good fighting skills and wearing black a lot of the times). I know I was one of those fans, and if you watch pre-season 1 interviews, you'll see the only thing they ask Katie Cassidy is about when is she gonna be BC, and that's it, ppl weren't insterested on the rest (I know cos I was one of those too). And by the middle of the season 1 she just became the girl who needed to be save (early in the season they gave a lot of hints towards her becoming a hero, but by the middle of it they dropped it).
    So I do think a lot of the hate ended up coming from what ppl expected her character to be, but there wasn't that much hate yet until season 2. ,Season 2, well, we all know what happened from that point on...

WhoMani likes this.
  18. Nathan Registered

It's pretty much all of this. And another big reason for me personally was that she showed renewed romantic interest in Oliver way too soon. After all the countless cheating, after running off with her sister and being partially responsible for her "death", it only takes a couple Episodes from Laurel wishing he never came back, to wanting to jump back into his pants. But I am not even sure if that actually took several Episodes, or if that was literally in the show's premiere Episode. I instantly lost all respect for that character and stopped caring for her from that point on. And of course the writers never bothered to give her material that would eventually make me want to care about her again.

Then as you said, Season 2 happened and the character of Laurel never recovered.

#68 Nathan, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    WhoMani and b_boy like this.
  19. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I think it was normal for fans to come into the show thinking she'd be Black Canary since the character was named Dinah laurel Lance and everyone bts said she'd be Black Canary. Though it became apparent by middle of the season that they had no interest in making her BC and then bringing in Sara as BC was.....well bts it was just evident even more lol. The fact that they didnt even tell Katie about bringing in Black Canary said it all. Same with the Lauriver relationship. I think they never meant to go forward with them after like episode 4 but they just had to tell the story to get it out of the way and no one once again told KC that the ship was dead until Season 4.

I think MG hated having to have her in the show and make her into BC and once he was able to convince the uppers that they didnt need her they offed her.

WhoMani, Awest66 and regnak like this.
  20. Hunter Rider Ronin

21. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Did she get married recently? They even credit her name differently in the cast now.

22. batdude Registered

Yeah, she did, to a non celebrity. Which is probably why it didn't get much attention.

23. LightDaggers This action will have consequences...

She was good in s1. I never knew she got hate, but she's always been my favorite character on the show.

24. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Do we're finally supposed to get Sirens backstory next week and she'll be involved in another BoP episode.

Beth also stated they'll finally answer if Laurel can be redeemed or ho back to her old ways. Kind of worried they may turn her into s villain again.

25. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Well that's good that she married a non celebrity. And she took his name as well as it showed up in the credits like that.

Is this her wedding dress?

I think people will get frustrated if she goes back to being a villain as it will seem like we're going in circles and she has no growth.