The Wolverine Do you think The Wolverine could be the best 2013 superhero film?

Iron Man 3 makes a mockery out of the mandarian.Imagine Fox doing something like this.Yes Chris Nolan did something similar In batman begins but at least he had a Ra's al ghul like In comics as stand in for ducard.Treating pepper pots as love of Tony Stark's life when she actully married happy In comics would be like Peter parker never getting Involved with Mary Jane and marrying gwen stacy.Could you Imagine the backlash If SOny did that.James Rhodes was not Iron Patroit In comcis eather

IM3 spoilers:
Actually they don't make a mockery of the Mandarin, because Kinglsey isn't the Mandarin, he's just a façade created (by Killian, the real Mandarin) for the public to hate and fear, while Killian goes about his plans.

Is the Pepper/Happy relationship in the comics anywhere remotely near as iconic as Pete/MJ? I don't read the comics but I'm going to guess -> No.

Why do you have such problems with MS making changes but not Fox?

Why do you have such problems with MS making changes but not Fox?

I think what marvelrobbins means is that fanboys give a free pass to Marvel making major changes (and Iron Man 3 is the most radical departure yet) and yet they leap on the slightest change made to the X-Men mythos in a Fox movie. Can you imagine if Apocalypse or Sinister was portrayed like Mandarin?

Havn't seen it yet so can't really judge, but wasn't it said they were scared to even use the character for racist reasons? The IM3 take is still getting criticized by fans on just about every forum but the film seems to be liked for being well made regardless. I think the quality of the film is what matters the most for any studio.

Doom, Galactus, Cyclops, Rogue, Deadpool etc are all more well known then The Mandarin and appeared in ****** movies. So it's not really a surprise that Fox gets the heat more for their films then one character in Iron Man 3 does. Fox have made just plain bad decisions on 4 of their Marvel flicks that generally weren't very good or just sucked. Their percentage is not good. If the MCU was putting out bad films instead of crowd pleasing well reviewed ones, then the hate would be huge.

Last edited:
For starters you will never see me defending Fox on Last Stand,Origins,Elektra,
and the past FF films.I like the director's cut of daredevil but they tried to do
too much In one film.

The hypcrosy of some towards Fox(which has made 3 good films with X-Men,X2,
and first Class) but will totally let Disney/MS and Chris Nolan off the hook and
praise all their decsions.

I never liked Nolan taking the Ra's al ghul from comics and make him decoy for ducard.As far as I am concerned Lien neeson didn't play Ra's al ghul he played henri ducard.What happed with the manadarian Is far worse.Bad enough they went all PC but the closest thing they had In Iron Man to being based on the manadarian from comics is just a drunken actor standin for the villain of extremes storyline.

films are different meduem than comics but stop trying to claim MS are perfect adaptians of comics.I don't like It when any studios(Disney/MS,Sony,Fox) takes things from the ultimate line

With regards to Iron Man 3 It's also like Michael Bay's crap films on Transformers anyone who grew up on them from G1 will tell you the idea
that Megatron would ever follow someone else Is disservice but It's Bay doing films so what can you expect
Imagine If Fox had done Magneto as tool of another villain.Or Shaw as standin.Can you Imagine the backlash

My favorate comic books from actual comics I have bought have been

1:X-men
2:Spider-Man(I prefer the amazing Spider-man but A:That doesn't mean everything that Rami did I think was crap and B:I respect those who have Spider-Man 2 as one of their top Comic Book films)
3:Batman(always my favorate DC character)
4:Avengers related characters(i always was more likely to pick up team book
than solo books)
5:Superman

It's funny that there will be 4 marvel films In 2014 and some's attitude towards the Amazing Spider-man 2 and X_Men;Days of future past will be
Disney/MS didn't make them so they will be crap.Funny how some forget Bryna SInger on X-Men and Sam rami on PSider-man helped pay the way for films later one.MS would never have been able to get loans to start their own film studio without their success.

Hopefully The Wolverine will be able to hit back at fox haters.

I don't see why this is hard for you to understand. If Fox was making better movies no one would care. Elektra, Daredevil, FF, FF2, X Men Origins and X3 were all poorly received by the fans. Doesnt matter if you personally thought one was ok. The Majority didn't respond well to them. That's 6 films that the fans and critics didn't care for vs 3 positives. Two of which came out 10 friggin years ago. There has only been one well received Fox Marvel film since 2004. And you wonder why people won't give them the same credit as the MCU and Nolan? The answer is no one really likes their film's or trusts them. Fox has to put out not only good X Film's but a good FF movie to start winning back that trust. THis is a company that flat out said **** the fans we have their money. It's not just about changing a character, its about making an overall good movie and the franchises reaching their potential. X1,2 and FC are pretty well received overall so that's hardly the problem here, but look at how even the hardcore X-Film supporters bash on the films for having too much Wolverine, not enough Cyc and Rogue being a poor representation. The films aren't living up to the fans expectation's. While The MCU is for the most part, and it's only been around for 5 years.

When it comes down to it, most fans are more then willing to accept change if the film is well made....and some not, which is apparent by the IM3 reaction. But that's the case with every adaptation. Not everyone is praising the choice like you seem to be alluding to. And again that characters popularity has never been high, which is why you aren't seeing as much backlash.

Last edited:
With all of the Iron Man 3 talk going on in this thread, let me kindly remind everyone that the movie has yet to open in the U.S., so please keep any spoilerish talk to a minimum.

Thank you.

I'll be honest. Even before I saw IM3 I never thought The Wolverine would be the best superhero film of 2013. I could be wrong, but that's my gut feeling both then and now (though especially now after IM3).

Don't get me wrong, I'm hopeful that the film will be good. I liked what I've seen so far, but I don't think it will be the best of this year.

no, this won't be the best superhero film this year. but the question is kind of useless because we will all have our different opinions. if you're talking about a critical consensus or audience consensus, i think iron man 3 and man of steel are the ones to beat, even though the latter could end up being a suckerpunch-inspired cgi nightmare.

i'll settle for a good wolverine movie. i'm partial to asian cinema so i think i will enjoy the wolverine quite a bit. plus, mangold is a very competent director.

alas, if aronofsky were directing...

If Aronofsky were directing it would be one of the most anticipated films of the decade...

Mangold is very solid though. I recently re-watched 3:10 to Yuma and liked how he dealt with the redemptive arcs of the two main charaters.

Marketing will be the key.

Last night, I went for a drink with a friend who is over here from the US for a while.

He wants to see Iron Man 3, is excited about Star Trek, unsure about Man of Steel and was aware of another Thor coming out.

But he didn't even know about The Wolverine movie coming out in three months. When I mentioned it, he looked shocked and was totally unaware of the film's existence.

Crap marketing could make this film into a flop.

I see it as Iron Man 3 > The Wolverine > Thor: The Dark World > Kick-Ass 2 > Man of Steel

Forgot about

Kick-Ass 2

I see it as Man of Steel or Iron Man 3 > Thor: Dark World > The Wolverine > Kick-Ass 2

and fixed.

at the end of the day, I just hope their all good films.

I agree that Fox doesn't know how to sell the X-Men, but I also suspect the problem is that Wolverine's last two appearances (I'm not counting the First Class cameo) were in less than stellar films. Origins especially killed Wolverine's momentum as a character.

Last night, I went for a drink with a friend who is over here from the US for a while.

He wants to see Iron Man 3, is excited about Star Trek, unsure about Man of Steel and was aware of another Thor coming out.

But he didn't even know about The Wolverine movie coming out in three months. When I mentioned it, he looked shocked and was totally unaware of the film's existence.

It's the same with me. People in my circles are talking about MoS, IM3, Hangover 3, etc. But The Wolverine is not on their radar. When I've told them about it, they seemed genuinely interested.

:doh: The Wolverine could be the most forgettable movie in the series. Imagine if FOX keeps releasing prequels/spin-offs after DOFP like movies for X-Factor, Deadpool, another First Class sequel. Its one thing for the movies to be good, but if they don't sell enough tickets, this franchise will be doomed!

Wolverine + Hugh Jackamn = $$$$$. It's not the end of the world because your friend doesn't know about The Wolverine. The movie will be fine, the marketing will be fine, stop worrying.

kickass 2 looks really average to me. the director is relatively inexperienced too. i think the wolverine will be a better film.

Imagine If Fox had done Magneto as tool of another villain.Or Shaw as standin.Can you Imagine the backlash

Your analogy doesn't fit the twist at all. A more accurate take would be if "Magneto" (ie the person in the Magneto costume) was just some random guy operating as a front for Erik Lensherr, the "real" Magneto who then demonstrates all the core Magneto tropes.

Anyway, with IM3's current see-sawing reviews the door is now open for TW, but it's still an uphill battle considering it pretty much has to be as well reviewed as the best of the franchise (ie highly improbable). Not to mention there's still MoS on the horizon.

Last edited:

I saw a preview of Wolverine on a local morning show here in Melbourne, but I suspect that a lot of it had to do with the movie starring "our own" Hugh Jackman ;)

Quoted again for truth.

It seemed like the production and marketing budget for XM:FC was quite limited, and it really showed in the quality of the effects and marketing material. It looks like a similar situation for The Wolverine. Thankfully, it looks like it's a much less effects-dependent story, so hopefully the quality of the film does not suffer from its lower budget. But the lack of marketing effort for this film has been astonishing.

First Class kinda did well even if the marketing wasn't really great because its an X-Men film. And I think The Wolverine will do pretty well because it has Wolverine. But FOX should really promote their movies, they just can't rely on the popularity of X-Men/Wolverine and expect them to do well.

Personally Im not even really looking forward to Man Of Steel, I think the Superman character has been done to death and we all have seen the story told numerous times. I'm way more interested in Wolverine not just because he's one of my favorite comic book characters of all time but because I feel the film genuinely looks good...Someone mentioned earlier that it looked less effects driven, and it does! I'm very excited by the fact that judging by the trailers it is way more character driven, I have a feeling we'll see a more in depth look at Wolverine and get to see a side of him we've never seen before.

I'm looking forward to the interactions between Wolvie and the rest of the cast of characters, most of whom haven't been featured in movies before.

Personally Im not even really looking forward to Man Of Steel, I think the Superman character has been done to death and we all have seen the story told numerous times. I'm way more interested in Wolverine not just because he's one of my favorite comic book characters of all time but because I feel the film genuinely looks good...Someone mentioned earlier that it looked less effects driven, and it does! I'm very excited by the fact that judging by the trailers it is way more character driven, I have a feeling we'll see a more in depth look at Wolverine and get to see a side of him we've never seen before.

I don't think Man of Steel would be a great film at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"