The Dark Knight Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Rocketman

Superhero
Reaction score
The past is the past, I know.

BUT, when I watch both films back to back, it's sooo annoying to see the lack of continuity in Rachel's casting.

So, for the sake of continuity, if you had the choice to go back in time, would you originally cast Maggie as Rachel in BB, or would you have Katie return for TDK?

Personally, I would have Maggie in both films.

NOTE: Ignore Tom Cruise and their personal lives, and just look at both ladies' performances themselves.

Maggie. She can act.

Katie, she was so bad the Razzies scooped her into their nominations.

Batman Begins was nominated for a Razzie!?

LOL, god no!

Katie Holmes was for her role as Rachel.

Yes, and we could have Schumacher directing Begins and all that.

Personally I would have had Holmes back for the sequel. Apart from a few scenes in BB I thought she was fine. Plus it would've been fun to see her reunite with Eckhart after TYFS.

Ideally Gyllenhaal would've played the role in both films.

Ideally Rachel Dawes shouldn't have even existed. It should've been Harvey Dent in her place.

Ideally Rachel Dawes shouldn't have even existed. It should've been Harvey Dent in her place.
Arguable. However I think she worked as a love interest for Bruce, but more than that a (hollow) chance at a normal life for him, fulfilling a sort of Andrea Beaumont role. And her significance was raised much further in TDK with her relationship with Harvey, not to mention she's the only good guy in the film not to compromise.

Ultimately, Rachel shouldn't have existed. I agree.
We didn't NEED a love interest in these films. It would've been yet another bold and ballsy move on Nolan's part.

If anything, Selina Kyle could've replaced Rachel's time as a small time thief who eventually rises in power.

I probably would of preferred someone different all together...
(having to recast character in-between movie wasn’t ideal)

though, it is kind of an ironic question, as more or less (not that she wasn't cast based on her talent, as well) but, she was also cast somewhat do to her resemblance to Katie... therefore, had Katie not been in the first one, Maggie probably wouldn't of been considered

but, as for the question at hand... if I had to choose, I'd go with Maggie for both

Arguable. However I think she worked as a love interest for Bruce, but more than that a (hollow) chance at a normal life for him, fulfilling a sort of Andrea Beaumont role. And her significance was raised much further in TDK with her relationship with Harvey, not to mention she's the only good guy in the film not to compromise.

You say that as if it's an honorable quality.

I'll say Holmes for both movies. She looks more like a princess that you want to save.

I would have preferred Gyllenhaal in both films, but don't feel strongly about it.

I believe Holmes won the Razzie, congrats on that.

Frankly I would've nixed the character altogether. I think Iron Man is a good template for how romance should be handled in the Bat-films. I have no qualms with Batman having a love interest, but having his fawn over a girl who doesn't really love him back (i.e. putting ole' Bats in the "friend zone") doesn't work for me at all. What I would've preferred is Nolan slowly develop Selina Kyle over the course of a few movies. Start her off as an ancillary character, then slowly develop a romance between the two (as well as showing her journey to becoming Catwoman - perhaps by the second or third film). I didn't mind the 'childhood friend' aspect, but I always thought giving that role to Dent - despite being antithetical to the comics - would've worked A LOT better.

The whole 'friend zone' aspect was really odd? Interesting, but odd. Not entirely against his persona per say

Last edited:
As some of you said, either Maggie on both or no Rachel at all. That's a good couple of alternatives.

I honestly didn't mind Katie Holmes in Batman Begins... so for the sake of continuity I would of preferred if she returned for The Dark Knight.

BUT Maggie is the FAR superior actress and after watching her in The Dark Knight, I wish she would have been cast in Batman Begins. I really thought her performance was great.

So really... I don't know. :doh:

The whole character kind of fell flat anyway... But perhaps we would have connected to her slightly more if she was played by Maggie through the two films.

Maggie in both.

If Katie had been in TDK, there would be a parts I wouldn't like so much.

In Batman's world it is :cwink:

Nah, in Batman's world, it's stupid and dangerous. In fact, that's kind of the whole point of The Dark Knight. Sure, Batman didn't break his "one rule", but he did have to resort to underhanded tactics and exploitation of private technology in order to defeat the Joker. Rachel's way would've gotten more people killed.

They seemed about equal to me. Maggie was somehow more annoying which caught me by surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"