Dr Strange box office prediction thread

That's got to be one of the most idiotic reasons ever for wanting something to fail.

Let me guess, you're a Marvel Zombie. If wanting a movie to fail is idiotic because of unnecessary race/gender bending casting, especially when one of the roles that were gender/race bent should have gone to an Asian man (a group that is often shut out of Hollywood), then I am proud to be an idiot.

Let me guess, you're a Marvel Zombie. If wanting a movie to fail is idiotic because of unnecessary race/gender bending casting, especially when one of the roles that were gender/race bent should have gone to an Asian man (a group that is often shut out of Hollywood), then I am proud to be an idiot.

*sigh* I thought that SJW ******** was reserved for tumblr.

Without wanting to go into a discussion about this, if TAO had been cast as an Asian man, the same people screeching about whitewashing now would instead be screeching about perpetuation of racial stereotypes.

TAO in the MCU is Celtic. She was never intended to be Asian. This is not a case of yellowface or whitewashing. It's another universe, different from the comics.

Wishing for a movie to fail because of that is idiotic. It's not political, it's plain stupid. People's livelihoods depend on it making bank, and that includes all the POCs in the cast (and crew).

How about you instead focus on the fact that this is one of the very few blockbuster movies featuring an Asian man in the main cast, or is that too positive and not screechworthy enough for you?

While I'm not as adamant on the issue as Blade X, I can see where he and SJW's are coming from. There are tibetan fans who are insulted that Ancient One is white in the movie. I agree with the moviemakers that the traditional AO would have been worse, but they could have updated the character to not be a racist caricature. Instead they decided not to try at all.

I am in favor of Ancient One being a woman, though.

Thing is, though, even in the comics, TAO never was Tibetan. He was from Kamar-Taj, which is a fictional country (even though it clearly stood in for Tibet). Besides, a movie about a superhero is not the right platform to be making political statements about Tibet, especially if the movie is to be screened in China.

This whole whitewashing thing has become so blown out of proportion that it's getting ridiculous. I've seen SJWs claim that DS himself should be played by a Chinese, or Tibetan, or Indian actor, depending on who's doing the screeching.

Sorry for the OT. I'll shut up now.

Without wanting to go into a discussion about this, if TAO had been cast as an Asian man, the same people screeching about whitewashing now would instead be screeching about perpetuation of racial stereotypes.

TAO in the MCU is Celtic. She was never intended to be Asian. This is not a case of yellowface or whitewashing. It's another universe, different from the comics.

Wishing for a movie to fail because of that is idiotic. It's not political, it's plain stupid. People's livelihoods depend on it making bank, and that includes all the POCs in the cast (and crew).

How about you instead focus on the fact that this is one of the very few blockbuster movies featuring an Asian man in the main cast, or is that too positive and not screechworthy enough for you?

Couldn't have said it any better. Silliest reason for wanting a film to fail. Wouldn't be surprised if he wants Iron Fist to fail for not race bending.

OTOH, I want this movie to either flop or under perform at the box office SOLELY because of the race/gender bending casting of the Ancient One and Mordo.

If wanting a movie to fail is idiotic because of unnecessary race/gender bending casting, especially when one of the roles that were gender/race bent should have gone to an Asian man (a group that is often shut out of Hollywood), then I am proud to be an idiot.

So due to the woeful misrepresentation of Asians in Western blockbusters, you're mad that they changed the Ancient One's race, but are also mad that Mordo is now another race that is woefully misrepresented in Western blockbusters. Interesting.

So due to the woeful misrepresentation of Asians in Western blockbusters, you're mad that they changed the Ancient One's race, but are also mad that Mordo is now another race that is woefully misrepresented in Western blockbusters. Interesting.

Bunch of fake outrage in this thread...

Bunch of fake outrage in this thread...

Indeed, or perhaps outrage with bad camouflage.

I mean, is there a legitimate issue with the casting of the Ancient One? Yes. However, that issue is not "representation", that issue is "kowtowing to a repressive authoritarian state". They could have cast the Ancient One as Chinese, and it would not have changed the problematicness a single bit, because it would still be changing the plot to appease the Chinese government's unreasonably touchiness about anyone pointing out that they conquered and oppressed ( and continue to oppress ) another country.

Indeed, or perhaps outrage with bad camouflage.

I mean, is there a legitimate issue with the casting of the Ancient One? Yes. However, that issue is not "representation", that issue is "kowtowing to a repressive authoritarian state". They could have cast the Ancient One as Chinese, and it would not have changed the problematicness a single bit, because it would still be changing the plot to appease the Chinese government's unreasonably touchiness about anyone pointing out that they conquered and oppressed ( and continue to oppress ) another country.

Very well put. This is a very complicated issue.

What's opening wk/end tracking for now? Still up to $75 millions?

It is pretty ironic when someone is upset with a black actor or woman gets a major role in a Hollywood picture. :funny:

We also have an asian actor in this film who will appear in Avengers IW

This has nothing to do with all of that overly PC SJW BS. If you've read any of my past posts you would know that I am against ALL race,gender, and sexuality bending of established comic book characters (which includes the race bending of Mordo) when they are adapted for film and TV. I'm also against Hollywood's racist treatment in regards to not hiring minorities for roles that were supposed to be played by minorities. This is why I have a problem with the role of TAO being given to a white woman instead of an Asian actor.

How do you know that would have been the reaction? Speaking SOLELY for myself, I sure as hell wouldn't be calling the casting of an Asian man to play TAO a racial stereotype. It seems to me that the people who are trying to justify this whitewashing casting like to bring out the BS excuse about how they cast a white actress for the role to avoid racially stereotyping Asians. Give me a friggin break.

BWAHAHAHA, seriously? So by using your twisted goal post moving logic why not make this movie about a kind hearted 28 year old parapsychologist who, after the death of her parents, travels the world in order to find the fabled TAO in the hope that she will teach her magic so that she can resurrect her parents.

It would be divine Karma/justice if this movie flops. And I'm pretty sure that the actors in this movie won't starve or become homeless if this movie either under performs or flops at the box office.

It would be even more positive and worth celebrating if they had TWO Asian males in the main cast.

Sorry to wade in on the off-topic discussion, but of white-washing the Ancient One, Scott Derrickson:

"In this case, the stereotype of [the Ancient One] had to be undone. I wanted it to be a woman, a middle-aged woman. Every iteration of that script played by an Asian woman felt like a 'Dragon Lady," he said. "I'm very sensitive to the history of 'Dragon Lady' representation and Anna May Wong films. I moved away from that. Who's the magical, mystical, woman with secrets that could work in this role? I thought Tilda Swinton."

Seems fair? A directors prerogative to move away from this "Dragon Lady" representation or is this more white-washing racism?

Tilda Swinton:
"They need to see the film to understand why Scott Derrickson and [Marvel Studios President] Kevin Feige decided to reimagine the Ancient One as a woman," she explained. "People shouting loud and proud about needing more diversity in Hollywood cinema have got us right behind them."

In short, people need to see the film before criticising, and that diversity is actually being promoted by the movie in various ways. Fair enough, or more white-washing?

Took the words right out of my mouth, Tilda :up:

I am wondering if Strange keeps up the reviews, how it will effect the box office opening.

I'm already expecting it to at least match TtDW's OW.

Thing is, though, even in the comics, TAO never was Tibetan. He was from Kamar-Taj, which is a fictional country (even though it clearly stood in for Tibet).

Actually in the original comics he was from the "mystic mountains" of either India or Nepal (I can't recall which).

Besides, a movie about a superhero is not the right platform to be making political statements about Tibet, especially if the movie is to be screened in China.

How is hiring an Asian actor to play TAO making a political statement about Tibet? All we are saying is that we want TAO to be Asian.

This whole whitewashing thing has become so blown out of proportion that it's getting ridiculous. I've seen SJWs claim that DS himself should be played by a Chinese, or Tibetan, or Indian actor, depending on who's doing the screeching.

Now this, I am in complete agreement with you on.

Couldn't have said it any better. Silliest reason for wanting a film to fail. Wouldn't be surprised if he wants Iron Fist to fail for not race bending.

Why the hell would I want Iron Fist to be race bent when I have specifically said several times already that I am against ALL RACE BENDING? Get your facts straight before you make an asinine assumption about someone.

Them casting a Black actor to play a white bad guy is them tossing us table scraps to make themselves feel good about themselves. God forbid that they would cast him to play an actual Black heroic mystical character like Doctor Voodoo.

So Blade X is apparently not aware that this is the box office thread.

Well, if he boycotts the movie, that'll affect box office. :D

Seriously speaking, I have been following tumblr. It's interesting to see what they think of Marvel movies. They are actually pretty big fans of MCU, but they're really not happy about this one. 40 000 of them have reblogged a post asking people to boycott Dr. Strange. That has led to posts like one below being very common.

Tumblr person said:
Imagine marrying someone and then finding out they saw doctor strange on cinemas

#divorcepapers

Do you guys think that this controversy might be harmful to the box office in any meaningful way?

People being hyperbolic and crazy on tumblr? Never. :o

Well, if he boycotts the movie, that'll affect box office. :D

Seriously speaking, I have been following tumblr. It's interesting to see what they think of Marvel movies. They are actually pretty big fans of MCU, but they're really not happy about this one. 40 000 of them have reblogged a post asking people to boycott Dr. Strange. That has led to posts like one below being very common.

Do you guys think that this controversy might be harmful to the box office in any meaningful way?

They're boycotting this movie just because of TAO being a caucasian female? :whatever: They should grow up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"