Days of Future Past First Class Sequel - July 18, 2014 - Part 1

Not to pick on one point in particular as I agree in general on Vaughn/Singer. The studio may want this new direction but I doubt those 2 would agree to make a film completely different to what they were originally planning. I also agree that Avengers' role in this is to help convince Fox to agree & provide the funds rather than anything more sinister.

Superman though is one of THE biggest characters in comics (alongside Bats & Spidey) & if Returns had hit it out of the park he would still be contending for the very top position. Returns was more missing the very high expectations of the brand than being a disaster of any kind. A bit like an Avengers sequel making $350m; a tonne of money but probably not in line with targets.

Its such a big jump in term of concept, definetly, but they still can adress personal issues on the movie loganbabe.

lest hope for the best. They are taking their time with the script, so it can only mean a better work.
The personal issues will always be the best thing for me about the X-films, so I was quite excited when James talked about his ideas of developing Charles further when dealing with his emotional breakdown.

I know it can still be part of the story, but I worry that the pressure to make the sequel more like The Avengers will take its toll on what made First Class so unique.

But, yes, we can still hope for the best...

In my opinion Fox needed to do something ambitious and different with the franchise. It's the oldest of the modern superhero franchises and in order to keep interest you need to do something to get people excited. Would a regular sequel to X-Men: First Class get people excited? Yes. But it's the same group of people.

Mutants vs. robots is going to get a lot of people interested who previously weren't. The Avengers made so much money because The Avengers vs. aliens was a great hook. People got excited about it. They didn't care much for Loki and Thor's relationship or Captain America's 'out of time' situation. They might not have even seen Thor or Captain America. Superheroes + aliens + explosions = interest.

If Fox does it right they can get an 'event movie' type feel with Days of Future Past. The closest of the previous movies to generate a lot of buzz was X3 and as a result it made the most money. I can see DoFP making X3 money if all goes well, maybe even more because of 3D.

Well let's remember X2 was a key reason for The Last Stand's success.When previous film Is major sucess and people actully like It It creates excitement and buzz for next
film.Heath Ledger's death along wasn't reason for the dark Knight' success people liking Batman begins helped Including those who caught It on DVD and TV but didn't In theatres.The dark Knight got people excited for the dark Knight rises.But laregely I agree with you.

How much are they going to spend on this?

Sounds like at least a 25% increase over that first one (from 160 m to 200 m).

But it's probably going to still be profitable (450+ m WW gross) if it's grander in scope than most X-men movies.

Fox having tax credits so they were able to get First Class made for 140.

The last report said days of future past was starting with a 175 Million Budget.Only the last Stand cost more.The fact filming Is suspose to beguin from janury to Spring and It comes out july 18 2014 means It's not being rushed like other X-Men films.Still I won't be surprised If budget ends up close to 200 Million.Besides creating sentinles and post apocalypic future there Is getting cast members from earlier films.

Your kinda believing Internet attacks on Singer.Superman returns made more money than first Class,wolverine,thor,Cap,and Incredible Hulk.At RT Superman retrns has 76
rating.Higher than the Amazing spider-Man,Iron Man 2,and the increidble Hulk.Singer was asked to do reboot of superman after warner's decided not to do sequel to Superman returns and he turned It down.Valykrie did decent business.The first film with tom Cruise to do so after his personal life caused MIII to underperform.And some early screenings
of the renamed Jack the giant slayer have been postivie

There are hints that Singer and vaughn had wanted to go with DOFP before the avengers opened.

Singer In spring 2011 talked about Hugh Jackman returning In first Class sequel

Vaughn as first Class was getting ready to open talked about flashforward In sequel with Ian Mckellan and Patrick stewart

In spring 2011 Lauren shueller Donnor was alking about X4 and It leading Into X5.and as first Class was arriving on bluray/DVD she was hemhowing aorund the subject.

Don't forget Donnor has been wantng to do DOFP for quite some time.

Bottom line I don't think the avengers success Is what caused DOFP to go forward.I think Singer,Vaughn,and Donnor wanted to go there.If anything the avengers helped them convince Fox to go all out for this film.You got a 175 million budget to start with and them being given more time than any X-Men film besides Origins to shoot and finish.

Superman Returns did a little over $200 mill domestic but it's budget was $270 Mil. And the oversea's number should've been much higher than that.

The fact is that it still under performed. If not...then where's its sequel?

IMO SR wasn't terrible it just didn't offer anything that the original Superman film didn't already give us 30 years ago.

Plus the whole lifting a Kryptonite Mountain with Kryptonite shards still in him and the whole deadbeat dad plot didn't go too well with many people despite its RT rating.

In my opinion Fox needed to do something ambitious and different with the franchise. It's the oldest of the modern superhero franchises and in order to keep interest you need to do something to get people excited.

I do agree with that, particularly as by the end of First Class we're left with the same X-Men/Brotherhood setup that was covered from several angles in the original trilogy. First Class felt very fresh partly because it showed the characters from before this division happend, but the sequel is not going to have this advantage. We've already had X-Men vs. Brotherhood and X-Men working with the Brotherhood, there needs to be some new ingredient added into the mix.

I'm a tad nervous about the spectacle overshadowing the personal stuff as well, but there's no reason why they can't coexist in the same movie. And articles/blurbs like the ones from Millar are there to talk up the movie, so of course they'll be talking about what they think will sell the movie the best.

My bigger concern is that they'll be tempted to overstuff the movie with characters to the point where all the character stuff is as shallow and hurried as in The Avengers, which I'd really hate to see happen.

I do agree with that, particularly as by the end of First Class we're left with the same X-Men/Brotherhood setup that was covered from several angles in the original trilogy. We've already had X-Men vs. Brotherhood and X-Men working with the Brotherhood, there needs to be some fresh new ingredient added into the mix.

I'm a tad nervous about the spectacle overshadowing the personal stuff as well, but there's no reason why they can't coexist in the same movie. And articles/blurbs like the ones from Millar are there to talk up the movie, so of course they'll be talking about what they think will sell the movie the best.

My bigger concern is that they'll be tempted to overstuff the movie with characters to the point where all the character stuff is as shallow and hurried as in The Avengers, which I'd really hate to see happen.

Where do you get the idea of Avengers being shallow and hurried? They already set up the thing from previous films and characterization. Whedon already had a template set up.

Where do you get the idea of Avengers being shallow and hurried? They already set up the thing from previous films and characterization. Whedon already had a template set up.

I haven't seen any of the individual films apart from the first Iron Man. But my feeling with The Avengers is that it tried both to build on the previous films and introduce the characters to the people like myself who haven't watched all (or any) of the individual films. And to me, it didn't work because when you have that many main characters to handle you can only give a limited amount of time and development to one before hurrying onto the next. So basically you have a movie where everyone is a supporting character.

As most Avengers themed stories are. Same with LOTR and other ensemble themed stories. X-Men did all right the first go around, but it became Wolverine and the X-Men. Not the way to go.

There's a lot of over reacting going on her. I don't see why story would suddenly come second when that has never EVER been the case in regards t Vaughn and Singer.

As most Avengers themed stories are. Same with LOTR and other ensemble themed stories.

Well, LoTR had an advantage IMO because it basically told one continuous story over three 3 hour-long films. So it could afford to be quite generous to most of the ensemble's characters over the course.

I get the feeling that (and I've mentioned this before, hoping that it would happen) that Days of Future Past was what Lauren Shuler-Donner and Bryan Singer originally had in mind for X4.

If that was the case, they're basically incorporating X4, with the follow-up to First Class, the same way they did with First Class and the aborted Magneto prequel, once Singer came back to the franchise.

DOFP has long been my dream story for an X-Men film and it's the perfect basis for a cross-generational event film, where not only we can see the new cast that was introduced in First Class, but also bring back old favorites from the Singer films, as well.

I'm extremely curious to see how they pull it off...

This will be Fox's opportunity to make up for dropping the ball on the Dark Phoenix Saga (in X3).

(Fingers Crossed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"