Game of Thrones - HBO part 2 - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even in the first season Jaime was probably the second best Lannister. He's a saint compared to his father and sister. And son.

:funny: WTF man? How is that not begging to be someone's sig line?

Hehe! I had the book in a plastic tote with some school stuff I had on college campus I took with me when I went home for winter break, little did I know the bottle of hand soap also in the tote was cracked and leaked all over place. :p

I was really sad about it I had just started reading it...

Well, and there was also that one time that Leia's home planet got blown up...and Luke came back and found his Aunt and Uncle as smoking skeletons with his home destroyed...and then later on his mentor got cut down by the guy that he thought also killed his father...

Not nearly the same tonally, of course.

Not to crap over what may be the world's most beloved movie, but the destruction of Alderaan never did anything for me.

And why would it? We knew nothing about Alderaan. We never even saw it until briefly in the last movie (two decades later). There were know beloved Alderaanian (sp) characters.

Yeah it sucked that Leia lost her homeworld, but, she seemed to get over it pretty quick. Or she just hid her grief real well.

So did Luke... Did he ever mention his charred foster parents again?

When Ned lost his head it mattered cause we knew the character. We knew what it meant for his kids and wife. Uncle Owen was just some dude we barely knew.

To be fair, in the show it is kind of unclear who tried to have Bran killed with a dagger. Or why for that matter.
I figured it had to be Cersei, since Jaime would never try to frame Tyrion for it. And by the time this became clear to Ned, it was too late to really do anything about it.

I figured it had to be Cersei, since Jaime would never try to frame Tyrion for it. And by the time this became clear to Ned, it was too late to really do anything about it.

I'm not sure if me telling you constitutes as a spoiler. A key scene that explains it was left out of the show, unless I'm misremembering. Course, it could be a subtle retcon.

Not to crap over what may be the world's most beloved movie, but the destruction of Alderaan never did anything for me.

And why would it? We knew nothing about Alderaan. We never even saw it until briefly in the last movie (two decades later). There were know beloved Alderaanian (sp) characters.

Yeah it sucked that Leia lost her homeworld, but, she seemed to get over it pretty quick. Or she just hid her grief real well.

So did Luke... Did he ever mention his charred foster parents again?

When Ned lost his head it mattered cause we knew the character. We knew what it meant for his kids and wife. Uncle Owen was just some dude we barely knew.

The actions described are still catastrophically brutal and in the one case pointlessly sadistic, which was my point--I was definitely not arguing that it had nearly the same emotional response as Ned's death or RW. For instance, the apparently Ewoks eat people, although nobody remembers that by the end with all those empty stormtrooper helmets because it's played for comedy. Obviously it's not meant to leave the same type of impact that GoT does since it's a completely different type of storytelling for a completely different audience.

For instance, the apparently Ewoks eat people, although nobody remembers that by the end with all those empty stormtrooper helmets because it's played for comedy.

That's quite a leap, dude. I mean, we all know the Ewoks raped the captured and dead Stormtroopers, but eaten? That's effed up, man.

After all that incest in Empire, you knew Lucas was done playing it safe. :o

Could you imagine if anything in Star Wars ended up as catastrophically brutal as the RW? :eek:

I kept using Star Wars to explain what happened to non-GoT friends who had no idea why everyone on their FB/Twitter was freaking out. I told them to just imagine Darth Vader killing all of the good guys halfway through the Empire Strikes Back.

Or I told them to imagine Deathly Hallows Part 1 ending with Voldemort killing Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Or Indiana Jones and Marion keeping their eyes open when the Ark was opened so they just wound up getting burned away with the rest of the Nazis.

I listened to the epic season 3 soundtrack. I must admit, the full version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" is one harmonica solo away from being a Blues Traveller song. :o

Jon Stewart was just doing a story about a virus that's killed 30 people worldwide that the news networks are all going off about:

"30 people?! Do you know what they call that on Game of Thrones? A wedding."

:funny:

Reading about some of the stuff to come in the books, I find myself really curious to see what a [blackout]Stannis/Jon Snow[/blackout] interaction looks like.

Personally I always wanted to see Robert and Stannis interact.

Never gonna happen though.

Given how many conflicts Robert had with Ned, his best friend and someone he claimed to love more than either of his brothers, I imagine the two of them could barely stand to be in the same room. Ned may have always had honor on his mind, but Stannis is just one stern mother****er. He wouldn't have had any of Robert's shenanigans, and Robert wouldn't have wanted a wet blanket like him around to spoil his good time.

i know this is a bit delayed and probably already talked about. But my friends and i were discussing Jamie Lannisters character and the whole revelation awhile back that he was a "good" guy. after thinking about it for a bit isn't that super out of character? they made it seem like we were supposed to feel sorry for him, but he still shoved a little kid out of a window with no remorse and kept trying to have him killed

The great thing about this show is that there aren't really any "good guys". Some characters shown in a more sympathetic light than others, but even they do things that, if viewed from certain points of view, are terrible and/or stupid.

A great example of this came in season 2, when Tyrion is working to prepare the city for battle, and Bronn informs him that the citizens see him as a little beast, pulling Joffrey's strings, and making their lives miserable.

All through the first two books, Jaime is painted as a villain (except, maybe, in the chapters from Tyrion's POV), because he isn't a POV character. Then book three comes along, and you get a look inside his head, and suddenly you start to sympathize with him. At the beginning, he hasn't changed. He's the same person he was when he pushed Bran out the window. But you start to sympathize with him. Eventually he does start to change, but at that point the reader is already invested, and is rooting for that change, rather than hating the character until the change.

Reading about some of the stuff to come in the books, I find myself really curious to see what a [blackout]Stannis/Jon Snow[/blackout] interaction looks like.

It aught to be pretty good. I suspect it won't happen until quite late in season 4, though.

Good does not exist in Westeros; everyone is evil. The ones that draw our sympathy (and "likes") are the least evil. However, less evil on Martin's scale does not equate to good; it is simply a lesser amount of evil.

Good does not exist in Westeros; everyone is evil. The ones that draw our sympathy (and "likes") are the least evil. However, less evil on Martin's scale does not equate to good; it is simply a lesser amount of evil.

Well, that's just not right.

Shade of gray.

Not everyone is evil.

The Starks are pretty much all good. The Tully's seem quite benevolent.

And there's Tyrion.

Really if the Lannisters didn't exist, Westeros might not be such a bad place to live.

Get rid of the Greyjoy's too.

[BLACKOUT]And the Bolton's.[/BLACKOUT]

The Bolton's kind of bug me.

It's like Eddard Stark is this great dude, and yet one of his lords is... Roose freaking Bolton. Did he just never know about a certain bastard's proclivities?

Not everyone is evil.

The Starks are pretty much all good. The Tully's seem quite benevolent.

And there's Tyrion & Jeoffry's younger siblings.

Really if the Lannisters didn't exist, Westeros might not be such a bad place to live.

The Mad King might still be running things. King's Landing would look like Harrenhall. All burnt up and whatnot.

Roose makes sense to me. If you've read the books you know that Roose is a lot older than Ned and has been doing these awful things in secret since the time of Ned's father. What was his motto? " A quiet people, a peaceful land."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"