general public....

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight' started by Reek, Nov 1, 2007.

1. psychosully Registered

It will be Batmania all over again next year. It will be crazy!

I also like the theory ome one on the boards has mentioned before that 'Batman Begins' is the marketing for 'The Dark Knight' in a way.

Like Begins was a way of saying "look, we can make an awesome Batman movie" and TDK is going to say "You thought that was good? This is going to blow you away."

So I wouldn't worry just yet about the general public. Most of them pick a movie they want to see that day, It's only us who get excited about a movie 10 years prior.

2. The Redux 714 Registered

I think that if they bring out a new trailer, say in December, and instead of putting the official site on the end of it, like www.thedarkknight.com, they could put Joker's whysoserious.com on there.

I also like the idea of...say during superbowl, in the middle of what we think is a legit commercial/ad, The Joker pops up and shares his vision with everybody...

3. Eggyman The Oval Avenger

The advertising for the general public should be different -- just like it's different with the viral stuff for the fans . . .

I'd like to see The Joker hijack an awards show -- MTV, or something. Someone could be about to give an award when Joker and his goons storm the stage, firing blanks and laughing. He could steel the award and maybe take the award giver as hostage.

I'd like something like that. Give the public something different, just like they're giving us something different.

4. Caped Crusader Grizzled

THAT WOULD BE AMAZING !

5. The Redux 714 Registered

Too bad something like that won't happen.

I'd love it to...hell, I'd probably fall over orgasming if I saw that during the Golden Globes...

"And the award for best actor in a comedy goes to..."

"ME!!!" *storms stage with goons and pulls award from Tom Cruise, screaming "YOINK!"*

Joker - "Now, I'd love to stand up here for hours on end thanking my fellow homies an' all, but I've got a flying rat to exterminate. See you in the funny papers, Wanna-Be's!"

6. Eggyman The Oval Avenger

7. Steelsheen Head Geek of Nerdtopia

the GP are vaguely aware, but they'll be pumped up to see it once the marketing is underway.

8. jmc away for a while

Oscars perhaps? Bigger audience, global audience.

9. Nepenthes Registered

Being one of our star australian exports Heath Ledger gets a bit of press here. Articles always make a deal about him being the Joker, going up against Jack, wearing weird socks to award shows etc. So I'd say if you asked people over here 'who is the Joker' more aussies would give the right answer than say Americans or British. fairly natural. the movie will get ALOT of coverge here when it hits.

this would be corny as fck. it's a movie not a Six Flags show. should never leave the screen.

10. jmc away for a while

^ it's called breaking the Fourth Wall :woot:

11. The Redux 714 Registered

BURN!!!

12. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

I just find it frustrating when my friends are more excited over Iron Man and his trailer than they are about the Dark Knight...

although, one of my friends loves batman returns and another one really enjoys watching batman and robin:ninja: so maybe its the old boulder up a hill scenario.

However, i don't think we are giving the public much credit... they know about this movie and are probably looking forward to it but won't count the days of their life away till its release like the rest of us :oldrazz:

13. ultimatefan The Batman must come back

www.movietickets.com made a poll with thousands of people from all demographics (an ACTUAL poll, not a random vote on the internet thing that any geek can rig) and TDK was the second most anticipated movie for 2008, only behind Indy 4. At this point if you ask random people on the street, they won´t know there´s a new Indiana Jones or a new Chronicles of Narnia movie yet either, it´s close to release that the awareness will REALLY kick in.

14. Eggyman The Oval Avenger

In your opinion, of course . . .

15. RED-RAIN broken balls

^^granted, that's what these boards are for.

16. Castlewood Registered

Honestly, if TDK doesn't perform well, it's the fault of the marketing department.

I say this, because when I see the Iron Man trailer, the official Indy website with video blogs, the Hellboy 2 website... these are all movies coming out within a month 1/2 of each other... and they've got the people aware.

Hell, you're right. Most of my friends are more excited about Iron Man... and that's sad... that's because they've actually been SHOWN something.

And how sad is it that a movie like "Cloverfield", which is supposedly the best-kept secret in hollywood history, actually has a trailer with actual footage in it??

I'm not trying to be an ass.... I can't wait for TDK, and it's my most anticipated movie of 2008... but if this movie only belongs to us, the fans, and it doesn't perform well... I'm afraid we won't get a 3rd movie. I'm actually scared about that.

17. ultimatefan The Batman must come back

I tell you with absolute confidence you have no reason to be scared.

18. ultimatefan The Batman must come back

An informed opinion from someone who´s been following this stuff for a while.

19. Eggyman The Oval Avenger

Fair enough, but an opinion is still just an opinion. I wasn't discrediting him, just stating that we have different opinions on the subject. :)

20. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

Bottom line... i think we need some form of footage to get the general public excited at all.

I mean, when the teaser trailer for TDK came out i was so excited, it didn't bother me that there was no footage but all my friends whom i sent the link to basically said to me they found it very boring:csad:

i remember one friend exactly said to me - 'Its a cartoon, it doesn't matter if it lets me hear the jokers voice, i can go watch batman 89 for two hours and get lots more'!

We need footage, not necessarily us but the public!!!!!

21. greenlantern530 Dat Piff.

SO much hate. :csad:

Anyway a LOT of people know about this movie with the new Joker and The BatPod and all that. Its not nearly as underground as BB was.

22. xisaacx trademarks us miserable

we all have only gotten minimal info on the movie, but everyone thinks they know everything so ha its whatever

23. ultimatefan The Batman must come back

It wasn´t clear who you were replying to, seemed like you were replying to me, always quote the person you´re replying to if it´s someone specifically.

24. Tempest19 Registered

1. Times Square will get lots of posters prior to the film's launch. Maybe batsignals will even be seen in the night sky!

2. The Joker will take over the CW and possibly another network, if possible, like Seinfield is controlling NBC right now for bee movie. But, instead of a nice chat the Joker has the studio hostage and is threatening to kill everybody!

3. There are Joker warnings on the television set during the MTV movie awards with an ugly clown face and a 'We will be back to your scheduled programming soon' or something like that. Then the Joker breaks in, shoots people and grabs somebody hostage. Batman swings in to the rescue and knocks him out. They have a quick fight and the Joker escapes! (leading into the DARK KNIGHT)

4. General marketing campaign + first five minutes with I AM LEGEND

5. Merchandise everywhere.

25. shuut Registered

In most of the polling I've been made aware of, TDK leads the lists of the most anticipated movies for next year. A former knuckle dragging jock, I now work in advertising here in pgh, I have friends in every circle imaginable and I can tell you without hesitation, if Nolan and co deliver the goods as I'm sure they will.....there is a massive, massive audience waiting to receive. Feelers report that the scale will rival and likely surpass that of the original Burton film.

On a side note, we are currently trying to organize a "jokerization" of Heinz Field to take pics for Rorysdeathkiss.com, shooting for next saturday, hoping for at least 100 Jokers, all shapes, sizes, genders, whatever are welcome, just wear your Pgh finery and a SMILE, who loves ya...happy times.