The Dark Knight general public....

I just had two copy machine techs come to my office and I was surprised one of them actually knew about "a Batman Begins sequel". He mentioned it after seeing my bat symbol tat. It seems the GP is at least aware of the movie.

I'm guessing the hype will kick into overdrive with 6 months to go. I'm kinda surprised they didn't do a subway ad thing for WSS here in NYC or even billboards. Whatever...I'm glad they keep us involved. It extends the whole experience outside of just the movie.

Honestly, if TDK doesn't perform well, it's the fault of the marketing department.

I say this, because when I see the Iron Man trailer, the official Indy website with video blogs, the Hellboy 2 website... these are all movies coming out within a month 1/2 of each other... and they've got the people aware.

Hell, you're right. Most of my friends are more excited about Iron Man... and that's sad... that's because they've actually been SHOWN something.

And how sad is it that a movie like "Cloverfield", which is supposedly the best-kept secret in hollywood history, actually has a trailer with actual footage in it??

I'm not trying to be an ass.... I can't wait for TDK, and it's my most anticipated movie of 2008... but if this movie only belongs to us, the fans, and it doesn't perform well... I'm afraid we won't get a 3rd movie. I'm actually scared about that.

Bear in mind that Iron Man is due for release on May 2nd. That's right at the start of the blockbuster season. The Dark Knight doesn't hit theatres for another two and a half months after that - on July 18th.

Now that Iron Man teaser was released in mid/late September. If we extrapolate the same timeframe from that (2 and a half months) we get to early December. Exactly the time when The Dark Knight's first proper trailer is due for release. TDK is not behind at all. In fact, we've had an announcement teaser already! Iron Man never had one of those back in July.

It will ramp up next year. People know how good BB was, and they know the Joker, and I think they're tired of disappointments like SM3 and FF, etc. (or at least I am).

Movies never pick up with the general audience until a month or two before it's release.

Both very true.

Warner Bros will market the hell out of it with tv spots and posters in the theatres. I dont think there going to sit on their asses for this one like they did with BB.

If TDK had more fallafel, then the world would already know about it.

It's a Batman movie. Batman is a worldwide name who's been around since 1939.

ive been wondering this... how much does the general public actually know about this movie? there was a teaser trailer yes, seen by some general public....but only showed a QUICK flash of a joker card....chances are many people missed it....

not only that....but the general public knows nothing about the leaked pics, whysoserious, Rory the pumpkin, the new pic....the new game....well basically all the general public knows for sure is there another batman coming....if they even know that much....not everyone is a fangeek like us....

so i guess the discussion is how will TDK capture the general audience? when? are they gonna continue fangeek viral marketing and hope ticket sales stem from that? i think not.... but IMO, if Heaths Joker is as fantastic as we hear, youd think there would be....MORE....than what we have... of course theres still months of time...but how are they gonna get this to the general public in the way they got it to us?

i say this because they got the joker and TDK to us in a viral, JOKERISH way...a simple trailer wont get the general public like this got us.... IMO, ive saidthis in another thread, but they sould have the trailer, but also have random joker commercials...much live TV interruptions like joker took over the tv station and states a plan or task for the fans, or jsut simply talks wierd stuff..

any thoughts....

Before this thread gets closed for its decidedly non-spoilery nature, I suppose I can chime in since I'm at home sick and still like 5000 posts from being able to upload my animated Rick James avatar.

Here it goes: the "general public" will be more aware of this film as it gets closer to its release date.-- AND when "they" will suffer a barrage of so many TDK-themed Slurpee cups, lunch boxes, and television commercials. AND NOT when nascent awareness of this film requires that one applies clown make-up and poses for a pic in their aunt's heirloom tomato garden with their embarassed and bored-to-death female cousin -- a gesture that is not only totally unsatisfying, but can only serve to provide future blackmail material when one ultimately decides to embrace bourgeois conventionality and become a real grown-up after all.

Good luck with this wack-arse thread!

Ray, this Batman series will not target the little kids thats for sure but i dont think its a downside at all because people who are not Batman fans after seeing the trailers when they come out and the star power it brings, im sure they will be interested to see what its about

That is a Lie , I Guarantee you they will have Joker Toys they will be targeted towards kids . They will probally show commercials on Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network .

That is a Lie , I Guarantee you they will have Joker Toys they will be targeted towards kids . They will probally show commercials on Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network .

"A Lie"? What in the cock are you talking about? The guy was simply stating a rather valid opinion. And if you're lucky that is pretty much all you'll find in these forums, noob. Get accustomed to it.

And my opinion is that if we see a homicidal maniac/occasional tranny in clown make-up with machine guns a-blazing on Nickelodeon during Hannah Montana or whatever-the-fawk, then I will gladly eat my shoe.

It wasn´t clear who you were replying to, seemed like you were replying to me, always quote the person you´re replying to if it´s someone specifically.

I was replying to you. Sorry for any misunderstanding. :cwink:

The genius of this marketing scheme is they're letting fans do the marketing for them. Seeing groups of people dressed as the Joker grouping around tourist attractions is going to stir up a little bit of interest at the very least, and I'm sure they'll set us out doing their monkey work in the near future as well.

The genius of this marketing scheme is they're letting fans do the marketing for them. Seeing groups of people dressed as the Joker grouping around tourist attractions is going to stir up a little bit of interest at the very least, and I'm sure they'll set us out doing their monkey work in the near future as well.

Sorry to dissapoint you and others here but we are a VERY small minority of the movie going audiance batman is a major brand figure around the world but films today come and go few films are really big smash hits TDK will never see the numbers Pirates of the Carribien got WB has to make big billboards everywhere full page previews and other ways to capture the public remember the hype for films like B89,and Jurrasic Park? thats what we need but i doubt we will get it.

It's more crass than "genius", IMO. And I assure you that the viral campaign is in no way an ersatz for the perennial bat-symbol-on-a-Slurpee-cup variety of advertising.

And my opinion is that if we see a homicidal maniac/occasional tranny in clown make-up with machine guns a-blazing on Nickelodeon during Hannah Montana or whatever-the-fawk, then I will gladly eat my shoe.

....Werner Herzog? Is that you!?

I POST ON THE SAME BOARD AS WERNER HERZOG

How cool.

I love Aguirre, dude. One of my all time favorites.

It's more crass than "genius", IMO. And I assure you that the viral campaign is in no way an ersatz for the perennial bat-symbol-on-a-Slurpee-cup variety of advertising.
True, but its also the cheapest variety of advertising available.

True, but its also the cheapest variety of advertising available.

Perhaps, but my point was that it's not as effective in reaching a ****-ton of people. And that it won't act as a substitute for more traditional marketing practices (i.e. -- Warner's will still spend a **** ton of money on marketing, cuz a lot more people will buy a Ginormo Big Gulp than click on whysoserious.com)

The movie doesnt need the type of marketing that almost forces you to watch it like Sp3 or Transformers or Pirates had...Batman Begins was amazingly well accepted movie,by the audiences and critics and fans...so when the trailer in December gets out people wont be like ''oh not this crap again,the first movie sucked'',etc.etc..more like ''man BB was awesome and this promises to be even better'' just like when Pirates 2 got out cause Pirates 1 and BB got the same reaction and one great teaser/trailer was all that the audiences needed to get sold..that will be the case of TDK cause the Batman again is a cool character to like unlike before the opening of Begins.

And about the kids,Venom was an black alien who should've been a nightmare for most kids so i dont think a psychopate would turn them from watching or scare them...10 years ago maybe but now the society is different,you're not cool/brave/old enough if you dont watch stuff like Saw so the kids will eat TDK cause it will be cool,mark my words.

How cool.

Have you given Wild Blue Yonder a shot? It's up there for me. THat is, for Werner Fawking Herzog, biotches.

The movie doesnt need the type of marketing that almost forces you to watch it like Sp3 or Transformers or Pirates had...Batman Begins was amazingly well accepted movie,by the audiences and critics and fans...so when the trailer in December gets out people wont be like ''oh not this crap again,the first movie sucked'',etc.etc..more like ''man BB was awesome and this promises to be even better'' just like when Pirates 2 got out cause Pirates 1 and BB got the same reaction and one great teaser/trailer was all that the audiences needed to get sold..that will be the case of TDK cause the Batman again is a cool character to like unlike before the opening of Begins.

And about the kids,Venom was an black alien who should've been a nightmare for most kids so i dont think a psychopate would turn them from watching or scare them...10 years ago maybe but now the society is different,you're not cool/brave/old enough if you dont watch stuff like
Saw so the kids will eat TDK cause it will be cool,mark my words.

Sorry i completely disagree Spidey the character is more child friendly then batman and always has been though there is violence in his films its more audiance freindly (people being zapped instead of in a rain of bullets) TDK is really a film for teenages and adults people hoping to see a B89/Pirates of the Carribien style deluge of advertising and hype will be sorely dissapointed.

How cool.

Klaus Kinski would have made a great Joker, someone more talented than me (that means pretty much everyone on this board) please jokerize him.

Honestly, if TDK doesn't perform well, it's the fault of the marketing department.

I say this, because when I see the Iron Man trailer, the official Indy website with video blogs, the Hellboy 2 website... these are all movies coming out within a month 1/2 of each other... and they've got the people aware.

Hell, you're right. Most of my friends are more excited about Iron Man... and that's sad... that's because they've actually been SHOWN something.

And how sad is it that a movie like "Cloverfield", which is supposedly the best-kept secret in hollywood history, actually has a trailer with actual footage in it??

I'm not trying to be an ass.... I can't wait for TDK, and it's my most anticipated movie of 2008... but if this movie only belongs to us, the fans, and it doesn't perform well... I'm afraid we won't get a 3rd movie. I'm actually scared about that.

Get a grip, dude. Seriously.

Iron Man is something new, something people have never seen before. The trailer was wicked, and it's got people talking. Good for Favreau, the movie looks like it'll rock.

Movies like Batman sequels, much like Harry Potter sequels, are more "expected" than "anticipated" (for lack of a better comparison). I don't mean this in a negative way, I can't explain it that well. What I mean is - there won't be as much talk about it so far from it's release date. People know it's coming, even if it's subconscious. They've known since the last scene of Batman Begins.

And Cloverfield, while it'll probably be a pretty good movie...is more hype than anything. And even THAT has died down. It's viral marketing has been pretty much overshadowed by TDK's in geek circles, and the rest of the public has forgotten about it since the short period of buzz following Transformers. The new trailer with Beowulf will intrigue people again, like anything new does.

There is a built in audience for Batman. Always will be. Technically, WB doesn't need to let people know the movie even exists until a week before it's release, and people would still come out in droves. It may not be Pirates, but that's a freak occurance. It's also got a tremendous amount of goodwill on it's side after pretty much everyone liked Begins (after going into it cautiously post-B&R). Add the Joker to that, and the element of "newness" to it given it's darker, more chaotic edge, and you have a winner.

The thing you really have to worry about concerning a third movie is the effect of Justice League. The whole debacle already seems to be wearing on Nolan's patience.

Sorry i completely disagree Spidey the character is more child friendly then batman and always has been though there is violence in his films its more audiance freindly (people being zapped instead of in a rain of bullets) TDK is really a film for teenages and adults people hoping to see a B89/Pirates of the Carribien style deluge of advertising and hype will be sorely dissapointed.

Nothing to be sorry about,it's your oppinion :cwink:

Anyway you're wrong about the hype...BB made 205 millions with no hype,with no major villains(nobody outside of comic book circles knows who Ra's and Scarecrow are) and with people's bitter taste in their mouths after the 2 terrible movies.I mean for gods sake there were children hanging in Pirates,so i dont think The Joker will cause some kid to be scared...you're missintepreting hype..i'm not saying that TDK will make 400 millions but it will open with around 100 millions and if everybody is like OMG the movie rocks,it woudnt surprise me at all to see a number like that...if the movie sucks it will drop like SP3 did,but i really dont see that happening in any way.Batman is household name and just because it doesnt have a Melrose Place love story like SP it doesnt mean that it's not as popular.Just look at 300..a movie that no one new about like 3 months before it opened and it made 210 millions while opening in March and being R rated...TDK will do 300 like nothing...when it opens,till the end of the summer there is no competition for it..Indy is in May,IronMan also...you will,mark my word,TDK will be a tremendous hit.:woot:

And the thing about the trailer....when it goes out people will be desperate tyo watch the movie....it's ridiculous to say that people are not hyped for a movie that its 9 months away...when we are in May we will have this same conversation again and you will see my point...Transformers got their first footage teaser in December also...and the movie had an amazing hype prior to it's opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"