Hickman's "Avengers"

But again, he failed to make them legitimate. No one takes Spider-Woman, the Sentry, and others seriously at all.

Maybe not, but at the very least, he raised their profile. He might have made them infamous, but comic fans know who they are now.

Keep in mind, Bendis absolutely raped my favorite villain of all time, so I have nothing but bad things to say about him as a writer. I'm just saying his idea of pushing obscure characters isn't terrible, and he was vastly more successful at making people like Spider-Woman or Sentry, than Stern was at making people like Doctor Druid (granted, how popular can a young Rip Torn in tights be?)

Last edited:
I was one of the few enjoying AA ..(mainly because of the featured characters and bageley's art) ..but im not sure about the continuity, is it true it's officially non 616?

I tip my hat that there is some out of char stuff going on there, but it was not killing me. It was mainly like Thanos had been taken back to the 70s..but i was holding on for some wrinkles in the appearance of it all.

Maybe not, but at the very least, he raised their profile. He might have made them infamous, but comic fans know who they are now.

Keep in mind, Bendis absolutely raped my favorite villain of all time, so I have nothing but bad things to say about him as a writer. I'm just saying his idea of pushing obscure characters isn't terrible, and he was vastly more successful at making people like Spider-Woman or Sentry, than Stern was at making people like Doctor Druid (granted, how popular can a young Rip Torn in tights be?)

My big stance is for whatever Bendis did for "his guys" he lost by taking a **** on sacred avengers (dissassembled, Wonder Man)..and in his LONG run he never came around and made amends to these characters.

That and he could never piece together a coherant Arc that was good from start middle to finish..not even ONE. "the raft" was the best thing he did..and even that I'm not so sure about because I really like Finch.

Edit: But I'll add this whatever anyone can say about Bendis, for whatever reason he left the AVENGERS Franchise in a much better place than he found it...and maybe at an all time high.

Last edited:
I was one of the few enjoying AA ..(mainly because of the featured characters and bageley's art) ..but im not sure about the continuity, is it true it's officially non 616?

Same universe but admittedly by Marvel it's very loosely bound.

I rather it just be an off title makes more sense. Everything doesn't need to be 616/ultimate books.

Opena's a boss. Don't think I've seen his art before, but I'm impressed. Of course, there's no way he's gonna be on every issue with art like that, so I hope the others in rotation are good too.

Opena can usually knock out about 5 issues or so then take a break.

All great points, but I bolded one point that I want to discuss. If you look through Avengers history, every writer had a pet character that was rammed down our throats, to the delight of nobody.

- Stan Lee had the Swordsman, who he pushed really hard as a major adversary to the Kooky Quartet era Avengers.
- Roy Thomas didn't have any true failures, though I think he expected Arkon to be a major villain.
- Steve Englehart had Mantis, who he had beat up Thor with Kung Fu and pressure points...I love Mantis due to GotG and later appearances, but as of the Avengers run, she was highly unlikeable.
- We all love Roger Stern, but Doctor Druid was definitely a big "WTF?" in his run.
- Kurt Busiek had the fairly awkward sub-plot of the Triune of Understanding and Triathlon, that delighted absolutely no one, and gobbled up panel space in what was otherwise a masterful run.

As for poorly writing characters. I saw the preview for the next issue of Avengers Assemble and wept. Thanos is such a typical mustachio twirling villain in AA, and the Elders of the Universe are portrayed as a bunch of dopes (and he has Thanos address the Stranger and the In-Betweener as elders of the universe, which they are not.)

I actually liked the Triune stuff.

This title may get me back into going to my local comic shop again.

I actually like Luke cage, Spiderwoman, and even the red hulk

I like them too..however they are all currently overexposed.

Thats the only way to become A-list though I guess.

The problem I had was how it ended. The plot went from having issues dedicated to it, to getting mixed in with the Kang mega story.

I get the sense that Busiek didn't really have a choice. Either mix it in with this epic story he was finishing his run on, or let the plotline die/ get abused by someone else. As it is, I think it was a cool way to give some of the characters (in what had to have been one of the biggest single-story arc Avengers line-ups ever) something unique to do, and level the playing field with Kang.

I actually like Luke cage, Spiderwoman, and even the red hulk
I don't mind Cage but Bendis' handing him an Avengers team just feels awkward to me. I mean, Luke Cage? Leading a team of Avengers? For reals? :huh:

Spider-Woman just irritates me. I can't even put my finger on why, really, but no writer's ever done anything to endear her to me. She kind of just registers as eye candy with no other real purpose or personality.

Red Hulk I've done a complete 180 on thanks to Jeff Parker. Rulk as a *****e beating the s*** out of everyone to satisfy Loeb's fanboyism sucked. Rulk as a fallen, penitent soldier trying to make up for being a *****e has been great under Parker. He works on the Avengers for me because he brings something approaching the Hulk's power level with a personality that could much more reasonably work in a team setting, plus he has a vested interest in working with said team--to earn his self-respect back and atone for his misdeeds.

I thought Luke becoming a leader fit well. Post-Civil War all the known leaders were on Tony's side. On the other end we had Luke, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Dr. Strange, Spider-Woman, and Iron Fist. Honestly, none of them were leadership material or were just out of sorts. I honetly felt Luke was the best option. That lasted through Siege and by then he'd proven himself and Cap just let him keep his team.

I didnt like the black instead of red look in Iron Man before. But it looks good in that pic.

it would be great if War Machine had similar armor, with crimson replacing the gold.

I hope that Falcon actually gets to do some things action-wise instead of getting taken out early..

Rulk is OK when you come to grips with the fact he is Thunderbolt Ross..a great Marvel Character.

I like luke because unlike some characters, he has actually gone through some character development. Going from street level small time hero, to leader of an avengers team is a great arc.
I like rulk because of how ironic it is that this guy who has hunted the hulk for so long became a hulk himself

Red Hulk's a decent character now, but he's still just so damn silly.

Here' how I imagine it went-
Marvel: we need a good villain for the hulk
Loeb: simple. got it.
Marvel: What?
Loeb: well what's the opposite... of greeeen???
Marvel: ummm, red?
Loeb: Exactly. Red Hulk. Boom. Pay me!

Whenever any of my non-comic-fan friends hears that there's a "red Hulk", their response is always, unanimously, "Are you f***in kiddin me."

Last edited:
I like Luke Cage his kind of taken Wonder Man's spot on the Avengers.

I like the fact Luke is a pretty normal working class family man in the Avengers with Gods, Aliens, Genius scientists, ect.

I don't mind Luke on the Avengers, it just seems like kind of a stretch for him to lead a team of Avengers. Then again, the last time I saw his leadership ability in action was during Secret Invasion, where he was fueling the paranoia about Skrulls more than everyone else put together, so maybe my perception was tainted a bit.

I wouldn't care too much if he led a team it just depends on who he's actually leading. His team would have to exclude anybody that's been a prominent leader in the past like the big 3, Wasp, ect.

I think the new avengers line-up has been perfect for a while. sucks that theyre gonna change it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"