Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

i can only see them doing prequels with indy at this point.

like the tv show - young indy in his late teens to 20s in his early adventures.

like when he first met marion, sallah,..., an early quest that would define who he is when we see him in temple of doom, etc

i can only see them doing prequels with indy at this point.

like the tv show - young indy in his late teens to 20s in his early adventures.

like when he first met marion, sallah,..., an early quest that would define who he is when we see him in temple of doom, etc

I am pretty certain we are not going to see the first time he met Marion.....

Given how Dial of Destiny hugely underperformed even with Harrison Ford, I wouldn't hold my breath for another Indiana Jones movie in this lifetime. Ford got his swan song as the character and Lucasfilm and Disney have Star Wars to fall back on and milk to death anyway.

That said, if they really insisted upon it, the most sensible way to continue the franchise would be an animated series not unlike Clone Wars featuring Indy in his prime.

Indy will eventually be recast, and the franchise will be rebooted, I’m sure of it. But probably not until long after Harrison Ford is no longer with us (and maybe Spielberg as well).

I know it's an insane concept to grasp especially during the last decade or so when Hollywood has been desperately trying to dredge up old franchises for nostalgia's sake, but film franchises can and do end sometimes. For example, when was the last time they made a Jaws movie, or a Back to the Future, or a Die Hard? Dial of Destiny severely underperformed. On what planet is Disney/Lucasfilm going to circle back to it in the near future and think, "You know what? Maybe a rebooted Indiana Jones with a new actor will do better." They aren't going to take a risk like that anytime soon.

I know it's an insane concept to grasp especially during the last decade or so when Hollywood has been desperately trying to dredge up old franchises for nostalgia's sake, but film franchises can and do end sometimes. For example, when was the last time they made a Jaws movie, or a Back to the Future, or a Die Hard? Dial of Destiny severely underperformed. On what planet is Disney/Lucasfilm going to circle back to it in the near future and think, "You know what? Maybe a rebooted Indiana Jones with a new actor will do better." They aren't going to take a risk like that anytime soon.
They've been working on a new Die Hard with a younger John McClane for many years, it just hasn't happened yet. But eventually it will. Sure franchises end sometimes, but that's usually after they stop being viable. Jaws didn't end cause it was the artistically valid time. It ended cause Jaws The Revenge was an infamously terrible movie. Die Hard had 5 movies and only died at least for a little while cause A Good Day to Die Hard tanked and was terrible. Back to the Future is one of the only ones that ended while still being viable, but that's cause Zemeckis has vetoed future installments. Studios have wanted to do it. Now, DoD's performance probably has frozen Indy for a good while. But Disney will eventually seek to make money off the IP again. That's how Hollywood works

Oh we’ll be seeing a new Bruce-free Die Hard as well, I’m just as sure of that. They’re already talking about a prequel, dumb as that notion is. Back to the Future was so…wholly unique, I wouldn’t expect anyone to try to recreate that without some other wild twist on it…but that wouldn’t surprise me either. Jaws at the end of the day was just a “killer shark” movie, and we’ve had plenty of those since. One of them will eventually use the title again though some day, since it was a book after all. No IP is safe, especially not one as straight-forward action-adventure as Indiana Jones. It’s just too easy to envision, honestly. Some day some new leading man will come along giving everybody young Harrison vibes, and the execs will inevitably say, “make that guy Indiana Jones.”

Once proven-successful IP’s never truly die in Hollywood. Back to the Future just got a Broadway musical. How long before someone decides to adapt that version to screen? The Mummy remake came 40 years after the last one and was a huge hit that spawned 2 sequels. Then the next one came like 15 years after and flopped. We’ll see it again in maybe 20 years.

They've been working on a new Die Hard with a younger John McClane for many years, it just hasn't happened yet. But eventually it will. Sure franchises end sometimes, but that's usually after they stop being viable. Jaws didn't end cause it was the artistically valid time. It ended cause Jaws The Revenge was an infamously terrible movie. Die Hard had 5 movies and only died at least for a little while cause A Good Day to Die Hard tanked and was terrible. Back to the Future is one of the only ones that ended while still being viable, but that's cause Zemeckis has vetoed future installments. Studios have wanted to do it. Now, DoD's performance probably has frozen Indy for a good while. But Disney will eventually seek to make money off the IP again. That's how Hollywood works
That's how Hollywood works but at the same time they're not going to keep going back to the well if they continue to lose money on something. Hell, the last year alone has been a wake up call for not just Disney but Hollywood in general. I really don't think studios are going to be as trigger happy to resurrect older franchises as they have been.

Oh we’ll be seeing a new Bruce-free Die Hard as well, I’m just as sure of that. They’re already talking about a prequel, dumb as that notion is. Back to the Future was so…wholly unique, I wouldn’t expect anyone to try to recreate that without some other wild twist on it…but that wouldn’t surprise me either. Jaws at the end of the day was just a “killer shark” movie, and we’ve had plenty of those since. One of them will eventually use the title again though some day, since it was a book after all. No IP is safe, especially not one as straight-forward action-adventure as Indiana Jones. It’s just too easy to envision, honestly. Some day some new leading man will come along giving everybody young Harrison vibes, and the execs will inevitably say, “make that guy Indiana Jones.”
It's a possibility but to reiterate I feel like studios are going to be a lot more cautious moving forward about resurrecting older franchises. Especially with something like Indiana Jones where the most beloved movies in the franchise are 35+ years old. Crystal Skull was a financial success but still wasn't embraced by audiences and Dial of Destiny didn't fare much better as far as reception.

Once proven-successful IP’s never truly die in Hollywood. Back to the Future just got a Broadway musical. How long before someone decides to adapt that version to screen? The Mummy remake came 40 years after the last one and was a huge hit that spawned 2 sequels. Then the next one came like 15 years after and flopped. We’ll see it again in maybe 20 years.
Ah yes, I forgot about the "musical adaptation" cheat code. Too bad Indy doesn't have one of those...yet. :o

And he will! Hell George Lucas might even endorse that lol.
Off topic but I do find it amusing that Hollywood seems to have found a loophole in getting people to not just outright dismiss remakes by adapting the Broadway musical versions. To give credit where it's due, there is a general level of talent that has to be brought to that for it to be a success and I wouldn't be surprised to see BTTF and the Beetlejuice musical adapted to screen the way The Color Purple and Mean Girls have.

That's how Hollywood works but at the same time they're not going to keep going back to the well if they continue to lose money on something. Hell, the last year alone has been a wake up call for not just Disney but Hollywood in general. I really don't think studios are going to be as trigger happy to resurrect older franchises as they have been.

It's a possibility but to reiterate I feel like studios are going to be a lot more cautious moving forward about resurrecting older franchises. Especially with something like Indiana Jones where the most beloved movies in the franchise are 35+ years old. Crystal Skull was a financial success but still wasn't embraced by audiences and Dial of Destiny didn't fare much better as far as reception.

Ah yes, I forgot about the "musical adaptation" cheat code. Too bad Indy doesn't have one of those...yet. :o
Things come in waves. Hollywood is all about IPs, but what is and isn't a viable IP rotates over time. So sure, Hollywood won't go back to these wells likely at this time, but eventually they will when the pendulum swings the other direction. Which it eventually will. No trend is ever permanent

This. I think Disney will wait 10 years and then announce a reboot.

Yep. The whole notion that Disney will never touch Indiana Jones again out of respect to Harrison Ford is nonsense.

They're already rebooting Harry Potter. A year ago, people would have said the same thing about that franchise. A cast far more familiar and relevant to todays generation. No one is untouchable.

Something like Back to the Future is a rare exception because Zemeckis and Gale control the sequel rights and own those characters. Universal can't touch it.

Indy was similar when George Lucas owned it but after he sold everything, it's all at the mercy of Disney now.

Yep. The whole notion that Disney will never touch Indiana Jones again out of respect to Harrison Ford is nonsense.

They're already rebooting Harry Potter. A year ago, people would have said the same thing about that franchise. A cast far more familiar and relevant to todays generation. No one is untouchable.

Something like Back to the Future is a rare exception because Zemeckis and Gale control the sequel rights and own those characters. Universal can't touch it.

Indy was similar when George Lucas owned it but after he sold everything, it's all at the mercy of Disney now.

Exactly, and as franchise it’s always been a money maker, even DoD had a decent BO run but the budget was too big to turn a profit.

They will re-visit it again at some point.

I do think there will be a recast as well. But in the mean time, I do think it's important to keep the character around. Bethesda/machine games upcoming Indiana Jones game could be a way to do just that honestly. The reveal of the game is finally happening on January 18th and I think, given who's involved, it's got potential to be amazing. Video games and stuff like that can keep the character relevant for the time being.

I know some people felt like DoD was bland or not exciting, but overall I'm happy we got an emotional epilogue with Harrison in the role one final time. I see the film aging well and fitting in with the rest of the franchise well over time. Current ranking.

Last crusade
Raiders
Temple of doom
Dial of Destiny
Crystal skull

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95