James Bond In Skyfall - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
why arent they releasing the trailer.. i really would like to know how they decide these things... its so random sometimes...

Yeah, I liked certain aspects as QoS and even think it's a pretty decent action movie but it's my least favorite Bond film.

It is in my top ten. Bond has some really terrible films, so QoS doesn't really rank all that low. Better then all the Roger Moore films, the two Dalton films, TND, DAD, DAF, and YOLT easily for me. Just a better made film then the majority of the Bond films, and actually has a Bond worth caring about. Outside of CR and QoS, Bond is either really melodramatic or so detached, there really isn't much of a character there.

I feel Olga Kurylenko was wasted in that film. She's a sexy actress and yet she was more like Bond's pal. It's almost the chaste relationship you might expect with Moneypenny. They should've saved Olga for another movie where she would've been more like a traditional Bond girl. I don't see her coming back either, because she was rather unmemorable in the end, along with the movie.

QoS has one obvious problem. It was shot incomplete. The movie has the idea of being something bigger and better then it or the franchise are, but the strike killed the script. The movie needed another 20 minutes, but also needed what was there to be well written and substantial. You can see the spark of genius and potential that could of been unlocked with a better director and a finished script.

Camille and Green are good examples. I really like the relationship between Bond and Camille. Olga is a very good actress and incredibly beautiful. Her relationship with Bond works, there just isn't enough of it. She didn't need to be super sexed up, nor did Bond need to want to shag her from the word go. There was a nice understanding as the film went on. They are a pair of professionals at conflict with their own nature.

Their kiss at the end of the film spoke volumes. The emotional toll of the weight they are both carrying. How their place in life at the moment didn't allow for the typical Bond/Bong girl relation. And more importantly, how she realized how revenge couldn't release Bond from his personal torment. Probably made their relationship far more important then the countless Bond girls not named Vesper or Tracy. Unlike the rest she isn't a super woman, isn't vacant upstairs and she isn't wide-eyed and annoying.

Greene is just depressing. Great actor, a number of possibilities, and yes even a smart little plot. You have this grumpy, clearly emotional unstable little man with a whole organization behind him. The skeleton is strong. Sadly, for the most part the execution is flawed. The scenes just don't come together. The dialogue just doesn't work. When you see a scene like the oil in the desert, you wonder why they couldn't get the other bits so right.

Quantum just dissolves into nothingness. It is clear the story just wasn't ready to film.

Last edited:
Daniel Craig's role in the Olympics ceremony is the kind of thing we would've gotten in a previous era of Bond when things were more fun. That Union Jack parachute is, of course, a nod to Roger Moore. Back then, we even had Margaret Thatcher (albeit an actor impersonating her) at the end of For Your Eyes Only.

I hope some of the fun comes back for Skyfall. Quantum of Solace was seriously lacking in any fun or memorable scenes and iconic shots. Even that Olympics mini movie was more striking and memorable than anything in QOS. It's as if QOS was almost ashamed to be a Bond movie and was trying to copy Bourne too much. Would you ever get Jason Bourne doing anything like this with the Queen though? I bet she might not even know who he is.

The opera shootout, the elevator escape, the final scene, Camille and Bond's first and last meeting, the oil in the desert. All pretty great, all pretty memorable.

It really isn't all that like Bourne outside of the action scenes. It isn't lacking fun, it just tries to be witty like CR. It was an attempt to make a good film, something substantial, instead of a compilation of a bunch of boring paint-by-numbers scenes.

People like to talk about the older films like they are actually fun to watch. I can't sit through most of them. They just aren't interesting for the most part. There are just so many times I can roll my eyes at those "ninjas" or Roger Moore in general. Once OHMSS ends, it wasn't unlike Goldeneye that something worth watching from start to finish came back.

I think the real question is why the hell Green built his base with all that oil surrounding him.

I think QoS worst crime is its awful theme/intro song. :funny:

Actually scratch that. It was that awful sequence with the parachute. I don't think they could have made that more unbelievable if they tried. The composition wasn't anything to brag about either. The movie should have ended there seeing as the parachute opened when they were 7 feet off the ground yet they somehow make it out miraculously unscathed of any serious injuries.

I think QoS worst crime is its awful theme/intro song. :funny:

Actually scratch that. It was that awful sequence with the parachute. I don't think they could have made that more unbelievable if they tried. The composition wasn't anything to brag about either. The movie should have ended there seeing as the parachute opened when they were 7 feet off the ground yet they somehow make it out miraculously unscathed of any serious injuries.

I'll take that over Bond slow-mo it on the bike. It don't know how made the decision to shoot Bond's approach like that. Especially after how awesome his acquisition of the bike was.

I am not sure what you are saying. There is no oil.

Wasn't his factory run by something that caused everything to combust?

I haven't seen this film in four years. I just remember the entire base going up in flames and that was because of what it had stored there.

Wasn't his factory run by something that caused everything to combust?

I haven't seen this film in four years. I just remember the entire base going up in flames and that was because of what it had stored there.

I am not remembering this. I am remembering the boa chase kicking off when Bond does his thing with the motorbike. I could throw my Blu ray on, but it is all the way upstairs and I am watching Olympic Judo right now. :D

By the way, if you are talking about the hotel at the end of the film, I believe what you are talking about is hydrogen. It is what allows the hotel to run out in the middle of nowhere.

I hope some of the fun comes back for Skyfall. Quantum of Solace was seriously lacking in any fun or memorable scenes and iconic shots. Even that Olympics mini movie was more striking and memorable than anything in QOS. It's as if QOS was almost ashamed to be a Bond movie and was trying to copy Bourne too much. Would you ever get Jason Bourne doing anything like this with the Queen though? I bet she might not even know who he is.

I'm seeing similar comments from the dark knight rises

Maybe why the avengers did so well is because it was just lively superheroes doing good guy stuff. Nobody was brooding

I guess in a time of economic turmoil people just want so fun in their movies

I am not remembering this. I am remembering the boa chase kicking off when Bond does his thing with the motorbike. I could throw my Blu ray on, but it is all the way upstairs and I am watching Olympic Judo right now. :D

By the way, if you are talking about the hotel at the end of the film, I believe what you are talking about is hydrogen. It is what allows the hotel to run out in the middle of nowhere.

Still... seems kind of foolish to do that.

Still... seems kind of foolish to do that.

I am not sure it is his hotel, nor that it's intent was to be a base of operations.

Also, pretty sure they didn't think Bond was going to show up. It is pretty secluded and Bond was suppose to be dealing with the CIA and their capture or kill order.

QoS isn't all that bad, it's in the mid-range of Bond films, not really horrible but not particularly great either.

I don't get why some don't like Camille, she's not one of Bond's conquests, she's someone undergoing a similar struggle as him and through her we see Bond's own pain reflected.
Likewise I loved the inclusion/death of Mathis.
Really though I did want some more..."Bond" elements. It was a fairly big missed opportunity not to Incorporate the actual Quantum of Solace speech from the short story. They could of have Mathis drop it and have it come off perfectly natural.

The Olympics thing with Bond has been taken down :-)huh:) but I saw the TV spot which was good, but the film is drip feeding, we need an officially released full blown stonker of a trailer IMO

This sequence is going to be amazing.

The Olympics thing with Bond has been taken down :-)huh:)

Maybe the one posted in this thread, but there is still a version of it on youtube that I saw only seconds ago which still worked.

Yeah The IOC have taken down everything that has to do with the opening cermenoy. I tried to find the awesome lord of the rings style industrial revolution segment, but nothing exists of it. I dont get it, why have a youtube page if your not gonna put the good stuff up there?

I was really disappointed with the Bond part of the opening ceremonies. I felt like it was a wasted opportunity. The scene was shot in a very un-Bond fashion.

Missed the start of the opening show last night dozed off and forgot it started. But saw the opening on yt. And bond stuff was pretty neat. And oh look all the folks worried about that rumor knighting thing that didn't happen.

That Bond Tv spot is great when will they release the next trailer? With Total Recall?

The Official TV Spot
[YT]YFNv5nDYMsU[/YT]

That TV spot kicks ass, love the music in it with the flashes of action in the beginning, and the Bond dropping down and adjusting the jacket and one of his cuffs in one shot was vintage 007!

The tv spot is wicked sweet and the scene folks been talking on with bond landing in train and it getting ripped apart classic.

The tv spot is wicked sweet and the scene folks been talking on with bond landing in train and it getting ripped apart classic.
Pure Bond. Hell is erupting around him and he's casually fixing his watch as if there's nothing to worry about.

So far this looks like Wong Kar Wai directing. In other words. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"