Kurse!

Those might not be "ping-pong balls" after all, at second look --- that photo has a lot of weird black polka dots splattered all over, but that might be dirt that's being kicked up during the scene or something. I dunno.

Anyhow, definitely looks like the actor under that helmet is very dark-skinned; could just be makeup if they're officially making the Dark Elves "dark" (they weren't in the comics), but I'm inclined to believe that's Triple A after all.

Another supporting point: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is 6' 1.5". Chris Hemsworth is, of course, 6' 4".

But the mask doesn't look so much like the Kurse mask from the book (a panel has been posted about a page or two back). Boo.

Well here is what I am thinking. Surtur probably will be more like 80 feet tall. just think for a second...1000 feet tall. do you know how big that is? That's like 3 godzilla's lol.

Tsk! He should be a *big* villain! Why is Marvel always shortchanging the Thor franchise?? :yay:

More seriously, the Marvel.wikia web site says he really is 1000 feet tall. http://marvel.wikia.com/Surtur_(Earth-616)

He doesn't seem to explicitly have the power we were speculating about behind the spoiler button. He can "manipulate cosmic energy for various effects". Would that include changing Algrim into Kurse? (see, I got back to the thread topic).

I think you're on to something there.
Closer inspection reveals what looks to be mo-cap ping-pong balls on his armor, and this Dark Elf is definitely fighting alongside Thor instead of against him. Pretty safe bet that's our first look at Kurse right there, pre-CGI enhancement.

This. I HOPE there will be some CGI done to him.

If that is Kurse (which I am iffy about) I really hope THAT isn't what he looks like. He is smaller than thor. tho I can see some resembleance, i hope he looks different

not sure I see the ping pong balls on the armor there but I thought there might be a sort of skull symbol on his chest which is what made me wonder... (I can't believe I am the only one who wondered this though? Has this been discussed?)

and yes, he really looks like he's fighting alongside, not sneaking up on Thor.

Yeah. Which would favor the him turning theory. I am not too sure if I buy into this yet though. The armor, and clothing, it does look Kurse-esch, but I'm surprised the horns aren't there...and that he's so small. Smaller than Thor.

I hope there is some CGI work done on him. If there isn't, if THAT is how Kurse will look,

this guy will be very dissappointed :/

I'm disinclined to think this, too. I have the impression he's too powerful for it. So it's below his pay grade, as it were.

Malekith seems a more likely candidate (h/t to CherokeeSam for originally mentioning it).

:up:

Another supporting point: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is 6' 1.5". Chris Hemsworth is, of course, 6' 4".

But the mask doesn't look so much like the Kurse mask from the book (a panel has been posted about a page or two back). Boo.

I know. Kurse should be BIGGER than thor too...I hope it changes

Tsk! He should be a *big* villain! Why is Marvel always shortchanging the Thor franchise?? :yay:

More seriously, the Marvel.wikia web site says he really is 1000 feet tall. http://marvel.wikia.com/Surtur_(Earth-616)

He doesn't seem to explicitly have the power we were speculating about behind the spoiler button. He can "manipulate cosmic energy for various effects". Would that include changing Algrim into Kurse? (see, I got back to the thread topic).

Not sure. But that is definitaly something I can see them doing for this. That shadowy figure is probably surtur. It sounds just likely the simonson run. Surtur is in the backround I bet surtur will be thhere :)

hey, I was looking at the old pics of Thor and Sif fighting (from Sept I think) and take a look at the guy next to Thor here with the Ax

slJVT.jpg

Think that could be Kurse? Whoever he his, he sort of looks from the pic like he could be fighting alongside Thor there, and he could be CGI'd some to look bigger and add some effects to make the costume more impressive. (which is what they did with the Frost Giants in Thor)
Holy crap it looks exactly like Algrim the strong. It's actually Kruse... before he's get transformed into Kruse.
T347_AlgrimTheStrong.JPG

Correction, he hated Thor until after he remembered that it was Malekith who betrayed him and dumped him down into the center of the Earth. Then, he HATES Malekith. ;)

Kurse4.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap it looks exactly like Algrim the strong. It's actually Kruse... before he's get transformed into Kruse.
T347_AlgrimTheStrong.JPG

So one possibility is there will be CGI on this character to make him bigger and more menacing and more like Kurse.

another possibility is that after changing to Kurse, then he realizes what Malekith has done, and that he shouldnt fight Thor but fight alongside Thor against Malekith (along the lines of my Kurse/Algrim idea that he becomes a peaceful leader of the Dark Elves). In the process of this "change of heart" he changes back to Algrim the Strong somehow (I know it doesn't happen that way in the comics but bear with me, I dont know if I believe in a peace lovin' Kurse based on the pics I've seen) and then fights on Thor's side to put an end to Malekith's rule of his people.

and of course another possibility is I'm completely wrong here and it's neither Algrim or Kurse, but I do swear I see a skull on his chest there... :p

So one possibility is there will be CGI on this character to make him bigger and more menacing and more like Kurse.

another possibility is that after changing to Kurse, then he realizes what Malekith has done, and that he shouldnt fight Thor but fight alongside Thor against Malekith (along the lines of my Kurse/Algrim idea that he becomes a peaceful leader of the Dark Elves). In the process of this "change of heart" he changes back to Algrim the Strong somehow (I know it doesn't happen that way in the comics but bear with me, I dont know if I believe in a peace lovin' Kurse based on the pics I've seen) and then fights on Thor's side to put an end to Malekith's rule of his people.

and of course another possibility is I'm completely wrong here and it's neither Algrim or Kurse, but I do swear I see a skull on his chest there... :p

I know. I feel like it will be kurse for the rest of the movie when he changes.

It certainly looks like a skull.

And it does look like algrim

T347_AlgrimTheStrong.JPG

The only thing, obviously, why would a pre Kurse Algrim fight ALONG side of Thor?

Maybe it isn't him at all.

You would think that when the photos were released, it would have said, Thor Sif, and Algrim, instead of Thor and Sif, also, releasing a picture of a villain that early, doesn't seem TOO likely. Im just speculating, could be Algrim

edit: Pretty sure its just a dark elf in armor :p I looked at some other pictures, a lot of the elves in battle seem to be dressed like that WITH that design on the chest/stomach of the armor.

I think this is just an elf

You would think that when the photos were released, it would have said, Thor Sif, and Algrim, instead of Thor and Sif, also, releasing a picture of a villain that early, doesn't seem TOO likely. Im just speculating, could be Algrim

I thought those were all sneaky pap pictures and not officially released by marvel. considering some are taken while peaking through bushes, lol... I think they are not official, so the person taking pictures might not have known who is who.

Oh and incidentally, there is a guy in the middle of this picture who appears to be a creature with ram like horns coming out of his head. I dont think that's a helmet I think that's the creatures horns, does that look familiar to anyone as a character?

p11146121445.jpg

Last edited:
I thought those were all sneaky pap pictures and not officially released by marvel. considering some are taken while peaking through bushes, lol... I think they are not official, so the person taking pictures might not have known who is who.

Oh and incidentally, there is a guy in the middle of this picture who appears to be a creature with ram like horns coming out of his head. I dont think that's a helmet I think that's the creatures horns, does that look familiar to anyone as a character?

p11146121445.jpg

I think it just may be simply armor for the movie.

I hope some light gets shined on the whole Kurse thing. I am expecting him to be like..big lol

edit: Pretty sure its just a dark elf in armor :p I looked at some other pictures, a lot of the elves in battle seem to be dressed like that WITH that design on the chest/stomach of the armor.

I think this is just an elf

Still doesn't explain why a Dark Elf is fighting *alongside* Thor instead of against him. Yer average Dark Elf would be swinging the axe AT Thor, not trying to lend him aid. (Kurse is the only one who fits that story.)

p11146121445.jpg

Fire demon. Not Surtur-sized, for sure, but regular fire demons are human-sized. But definitely looks like a fire demon, if you add some CGI flames as a body aura.

Still doesn't explain why a Dark Elf is fighting *alongside* Thor instead of against him. Yer average Dark Elf would be swinging the axe AT Thor, not trying to lend him aid. (Kurse is the only one who fits that story.)

Fire demon. Not Surtur-sized, for sure, but regular fire demons are human-sized. But definitely looks like a fire demon, if you add some CGI flames as a body aura.

oh that, I was looking at the helmet guy. Yeah, I agree, it does look very demonic, and I realized that about kurse after I typed it. I hope that's algrim before Kurse. You can't say you won't be dissappointed if Kurse looks like that.

Though when it comes to appearance, Marvel has been right on, so I am still expecting greatness

ok so just came across this picture of the guy we were thinking might be Kurse or Algrim and now he looks more like he might be attacking Thor there... soo.... so confused...

thor-the-dark-world-chris-hemsworth-600x412.jpg

and now with the new pictures of the "dark elves" I'm wondering who the hell these guys (ugly purple and green on right) may be, since I was thinking they might be Dark Elves and there are certainly none that look like the new pictures of the Dark Elves in these battle scenes that I've seen. So... anyone's guess what the heck is going on here.... :huh:

thorthedarkworldsetphotos2.jpeg

Purple and Green guys look sort of like The Other from the Avengers

They're Marauders, invading Asgard. That much we *do* know.
Who the Marauders are, we don't know.
But my guess is that they're a ragtag bunch of interplanetary mercs who work for Thanos, and they're there to drag Loki's ass back to The Big Guy (per the promised threat in The Avengers).

I'm thinking that, and maybe a misc. demon for the other guy... just came across this which is making me wonder about the ALice Krige character again...

Karnilla lived opulently in the ancient fastness of Nornkeep, attended by her servant, the aged minor sorceress Haag, and troops of guardian demons. Although there were many demons among her subjects, Karnilla's realm was also populated by humanoid immortals, just as was Asgard proper.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Karnilla_(Earth-616)

That would about cover that melee of various characters fighting in those scenes from a month or so ago wouldn't it? If Karnilla, or possibly the Vanirs or all of the above are trying to take control over Asgard or just fighting amongst themselves. I was wondering about the Vanir as some of these since they are described as "wild nature and fertility gods and goddesses" in the mythology and some of the human warriors sort of have that look I think, and a forest is a very "natural" setting for those. This stuff could all be a scene early on where Thor, Sif and Warriors 3 are trying to straighten out the other worlds where things are going crazy after the bi frost is destroyed. (sort of like the scene at the beginning of THor where Odin and the Asgardians and the Frost Giants are fighting.)

And Nornheim was mentioned in the deleted scene in Thor between Loki and Thor before the ceremony. (Loki veiled them in smoke to ease their escape...)

and no, in this case that's probably not Algrim/Kurse lol...

Last edited:
ok so just came across this picture of the guy we were thinking might be Kurse or Algrim and now he looks more like he might be attacking Thor there... soo.... so confused...

thor-the-dark-world-chris-hemsworth-600x412.jpg

and now with the new pictures of the "dark elves" I'm wondering who the hell these guys (ugly purple and green on right) may be, since I was thinking they might be Dark Elves and there are certainly none that look like the new pictures of the Dark Elves in these battle scenes that I've seen. So... anyone's guess what the heck is going on here.... :huh:

thorthedarkworldsetphotos2.jpeg

Legit, so confusing lol.

Though they certainly aren't elves. They don't have ears. Not to mention this "algrim" is dressed different than thre other pictures we've seen of the elves.

They are mauruders as sam said. I am not soo sure to say this guy is algrim or kurse yet for that matter.

I'm thinking that, and maybe a misc. demon for the other guy... just came across this which is making me wonder about the ALice Krige character again...

http://marvel.wikia.com/Karnilla_(Earth-616)

That would about cover that melee of various characters fighting in those scenes from a month or so ago wouldn't it? If Karnilla, or possibly the Vanirs or all of the above are trying to take control over Asgard or just fighting amongst themselves. I was wondering about the Vanir as some of these since they are described as "wild nature and fertility gods and goddesses" in the mythology and some of the human warriors sort of have that look I think, and a forest is a very "natural" setting for those. This stuff could all be a scene early on where Thor, Sif and Warriors 3 are trying to straighten out the other worlds where things are going crazy after the bi frost is destroyed. (sort of like the scene at the beginning of THor where Odin and the Asgardians and the Frost Giants are fighting.)

And Nornheim was mentioned in the deleted scene in Thor between Loki and Thor before the ceremony. (Loki veiled them in smoke to ease their escape...)

and no, in this case that's probably not Algrim/Kurse lol...

:up:

I am on board here...but damn, its difficult, so much going on...SO much going on lol. I agree with sam though, this army probably are thanos mercanaries

Okay upon closer inspection this is what I think we have here...

1) some creatures that look like ugly Trolls
2) at least one creature that looks like a Demon with horns
3) Helmeted Warriors in reddish armor (like the one I thought was Kurse/Algrim), pretty sure these are fighting against the Asgardians
4) Sif on a horse, and another guy on a white horse, that has horned helmet. He doesnt really look like one of the warriors 3 but maybe Volstagg since he looks big (but I doubt that). The horses really give me the clue that we are probably on Asgard/Nornheim/Vanheim, though.
5) Thor, Fandral too I think is there, Volstag spotted too without helmet or horse, other Gold helmeted Asgardian warriors definitely involved.
6) some characters with silverish bands across the forehead, some with red below that so probably same "tribe". some with sort of Jedi robes and one is an old man with a long wood stick beside another old man. Some of the younger warriors have a sort of Persian look to the clothing, very markedly different from the armored warriors, but definitely warriors. Swords.
7) some warriors with armor that is more silver/green/grey looking and much more worn and less flashy than the shiny Asgardian warriors
8) a "tribe" probably non-warriors I think are there also. At least two appear to be Asian, very different look from guys with silver bands on head. There is another younger woman who is in the same picture to the right with same or similar hair/headdress as one of those two sitting.
9) some marauder looking ugly guys, some with just a long black ponytail hanging down from a bald head or long dreadlocks or bald. At least one I think has some sort of gun maybe.
10) one guy who looks like a big rhinoceros man (He does!)

Did I miss anything interesting? :)

that's A LOT of different people fighting! Could be some Marauders but seems like there is much more then just them and the Asgarian warriors there. I think this may be Nornheim and just some fighting simply setting up how the 9 realms are going nuts right now and Thor is sent by Odin to try to get things straightened out.

And as for Kurse, I'm going with the idea that he's very CGI, and maybe some of the fighting that Thor is doing this week is against him, but he's not here because they want to keep that completely a secret. And I know Adewale was tweeted about being Kurse that week, more than once I think. So he's already maybe filmed stuff with motion capture if that's the way they are going, and that'll be added to what Thor is doing this week later on. It's amazing what they can do in post production.

edit: adding Volstag as he was spotted in another set of pictures I missed earlier

Last edited:
Okay upon closer inspection this is what I think we have here...

1) some creatures that look like ugly Trolls
2) at least one creature that looks like a Demon with horns
3) Helmeted Warriors in reddish armor (like the one I thought was Kurse/Algrim), pretty sure these are fighting against the Asgardians
4) Sif on a horse, and another guy on a white horse, that has horned helmet. He doesnt really look like one of the warriors 3 but maybe Volstagg since he looks big (but I doubt that). The horses really give me the clue that we are probably on Asgard/Nornheim/Vanheim, though.
5) Thor, Fandral too I think is there, other Gold helmeted Asgardian warriors definitely involved.
6) some characters with silverish bands across the forehead, some with red below that so probably same "tribe". some with sort of Jedi robes and one is an old man with a long wood stick beside another old man. Some of the younger warriors have a sort of Persian look to the clothing, very markedly different from the armored warriors, but definitely warriors. Swords.
7) some warriors with armor that is more silver/green/grey looking and much more worn and less flashy than the shiny Asgardian warriors
8) a "tribe" probably non-warriors I think are there also. At least two appear to be Asian, very different look from guys with silver bands on head. There is another younger woman who is in the same picture to the right with same or similar hair/headdress as one of those two sitting.
9) some marauder looking ugly guys, some with just a long black ponytail hanging down from a bald head or long dreadlocks or bald. At least one I think has some sort of gun maybe.
10) one guy who looks like a big rhinoceros man (He does!)

Did I miss anything interesting? :)

that's A LOT of different people fighting! Could be some Marauders but seems like there is much more then just them and the Asgarian warriors there. I think this may be Nornheim and just some fighting simply setting up how the 9 realms are going nuts right now and Thor is sent by Odin to try to get things straightened out.

And as for Kurse, I'm going with the idea that he's very CGI, and maybe some of the fighting that Thor is doing this week is against him, but he's not here because they want to keep that completely a secret. And I know Adewale was tweeted about being Kurse that week, more than once I think. So he's already maybe filmed stuff with motion capture if that's the way they are going, and that'll be added to what Thor is doing this week later on. It's amazing what they can do in post production.

It's things like this that intrigue me what effects companies and graphic designers and animaters can do. Its over looked. But they are truely artists. Did you see the pictures of the Thanos prosthetic? Granted, its not graphic design, and more make up artists' work. But It blows my mind. That is a great great piece of work and i really respect artists for the work they do on these movies

4) .. . The horses really give me the clue that we are probably on Asgard/Nornheim/Vanheim, though.

The first photos we got from the Bourne Woods location (where what you are describing was filmed) showed huts and a pillar with Viking-like design elements. I believe that Bourne Woods shoot was meant to be on Asgard.

Plus: (It's an old spoiler, but I think still not "out in the open" knowledge)
About the same time the Bourne Woods photos were coming out, we got a spoiler from a different stuntman about how a ship crashed into the palace, indicating a big attack on Asgard.

So it could be Nornheim (Nornheim is not a separate realm, but rather a province of Asgard). I don't think it's Vanaheim (though I'm very curious as to how they'll show Vanaheim.)

You're right, that's quite a coalition that the baddies have assembled. Does Asgard have any allies?? (Vanaheim fought a war with Asgard, both in the books and in myth, so they're not likely friends.)

Yeah, I imagine there will be a lot of CGI involved with Kurse. I saw some making-of footage from The Avengers. Mark Ruffalo wore a lot of foam padding and I think Chris Hemsworth grappled with him. It was on a stage. I suppose it might be like that for Kurse fights.

I also have a speculation about Kurse (or absence thereof) that involves one of the more recent spoilers (so click at your peril):
People have been supposing that Thor is shadow-boxing what will be Kurse in the Greenwich University shoot. But I think that fight comes early on, since it's supposed to be Midgard and Jane is there. Per the spoiler, she continues on with Thor and Loki and visits more than one realm. So this Greenwich University scene is too early for Algrim to have turned into Kurse. I think it may even be too early for Thor to be confronting Algrim. (And that's supposed to be on Svartalfheim anyway).

I'll try to reply more tomorrow, getting pooped out and ready for bed.

But in regards to where Jane is and possible Kurse-Thor fighting.

Just because a bunch of scenes are on the same grounds, doesnt mean they will all be the same place in the film. They could use a classroom or other area of the university to show Jane wherever she is teaching or what have you (may not even be in England) or a room to show where she is doing research. or another room to show a throne room on another world or something (like the Chapel could be changed over to, for instance).

It seems to be a bit too coincidental that Thor happens to land on Earth fighting the Elves right where Jane happens to be.

And so then this scene with Thor and the Elves could be an entirely different place that is being torn up. But I agree I think it's likely some of this shadowboxing is fighting a CGI Kurse, wherever they end up fighting. It sounds like it is Earth though based on the reference to abandoned cars in that Filming notice. But it isnt necessarily where Jane is.

I'll try to reply more tomorrow, getting pooped out and ready for bed.

But in regards to where Jane is and possible Kurse-Thor fighting.

Just because a bunch of scenes are on the same grounds, doesnt mean they will all be the same place in the film. They could use a classroom or other area of the university to show Jane wherever she is teaching or what have you (may not even be in England) or a room to show where she is doing research. or another room to show a throne room on another world or something (like the Chapel could be changed over to, for instance).

It seems to be a bit too coincidental that Thor happens to land on Earth fighting the Elves right where Jane happens to be.

And so then this scene with Thor and the Elves could be an entirely different place that is being torn up. But I agree I think it's likely some of this shadowboxing is fighting a CGI Kurse, wherever they end up fighting. It sounds like it is Earth though based on the reference to abandoned cars in that Filming notice. But it isnt necessarily where Jane is.

That's a fair point!! (about how locations are used in films)

At least one of the scenes being shot at Greenwich University is supposed to be on Earth. In one of the links you posted, the blogger commented that the red bus on the set had a real-world destination listed on it.

Regarding the coincidence,
I've been wondering about that too. I think your supposition is a strong one, that that scene is actually on Svartalfheim (since some of the buildings in England are actually representing Svartalfheim buildings).

Last edited:
That's a fair point!! (about how locations are used in films)

At least one of the scenes being shot at Greenwich University is supposed to be on Earth. In one of the links you posted, the blogger commented that the red bus on the set had a real-world destination listed on it.

Regarding the coincidence,
I've been wondering about that too. I think your supposition is a strong one, that that scene is actually on Svartalfheim (since some of the buildings in England are actually representing Svartalfheim buildings).

I thought that's already been confirmed??? :huh:

I thought that's already been confirmed??? :huh:

Well, Andrew Lawden has stated that some of the buildings being filmed in the UK are intended to be used as buildings in Svartalfheim. (MarvelFreshman posted the specific quote this morning on the spoilers thread.) But that doesn't mean that these buildings on the Greenwich University campus are representing buildings on Svartalfheim.
Or were you referring to my comment about one of the scenes at Greenwich University being set on Earth?

Well, Andrew Lawden has stated that some of the buildings being filmed in the UK are intended to be used as buildings in Svartalfheim. (MarvelFreshman posted the specific quote this morning on the spoilers thread.) But that doesn't mean that these buildings on the Greenwich University campus are representing buildings on Svartalfheim.
Or were you referring to my comment about one of the scenes at Greenwich University being set on Earth?

No. I meant the part you spoilered. Yeah, I was just remembered it wrong is all. Carry on :p

good lord. I have been on this site all day. this is my 41st post today on the hype..good lord far and away a personal record for me :p

No. I meant the part you spoilered. Yeah, I was just remembered it wrong is all. Carry on :p

good lord. I have been on this site all day. this is my 41st post today on the hype..good lord far and away a personal record for me :p

We at the Hype thank you for your dedication to the cause! :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"