Logan LOGAN - User Review and Reactions Thread (Spoilers)

I just don't think they did much with Japan. It felt like they were going through the motions without any clear ideas. The story they did with the grandfather could've taken place anywhere, only window dressing tied it to Japan.

Did Wolverine really learn anything in the end? What got him over his depression? He even got Jean back at the end of DoFP only for him to become an even worse version of a loner in Logan.

I just don't think they did much with Japan. It felt like they were going through the motions without any clear ideas. The story they did with the grandfather could've taken place anywhere, only window dressing tied it to Japan.

Did Wolverine really learn anything in the end? What got him over his depression? He even got Jean back at the end of DoFP only for him to become an even worse version of a loner in Logan.

For me he learned plenty, he was a lost "Ronin" that learnt that others do need him and his love for Mariko made him realise he can let go over the past, Jean, and come back to civilization and back to his family of the xmen where he belongs as a soldier. Least thats what I took from it.

both origins and last stand are poor films.i find origins a bit more watchable.it's like with last stand is viewed more favorable than origins because it's viewed by many as more mixed films since they threw a lot of things from comics to the wall.Kelsey Grammer and ellen page excellint casting in last stand while in origins we had fine sabretooth.a joke is X_men 1 has sabretooth who looked like character but origins had sabretooth with personality from comics.Jackman never phones in a wolverine performance.the prologue from origins was nice as was the war montage.

The wolverine is different better than both films but there may be some who prefer last stand or origins to it.

James mangold did his take on both japanese saga and old man logan/death of wolverine.and did fine job on both.

Well for me Mangolds efforts are much better.

The Wolverine is technically a better film but the story just isn't as interesting as the origin. Those of us that read comics know of the iconic Japan storyline but to others it can seem like the film makers ran out of ideas and it's "Wolverine in Japan".

They totally botched the origin in Origins though. On paper it may look a better story. But TW told its story in a much better way.

TW is far superior to Origins for me, to each their own, but its a shame Mangold couldnt have made that film too in hindsight then we could have had a great trilogy of Wolverines "Birth"(Origins), "Love/Life" (TW) and "Death" (Logan). It is what it is at the end of the day but I wish Origins was closer than the other two films as Hugh deserved a better origins film.

Yeah if this franchise had started with Mangold directing Origins we could be talking about Logan being a great conclusion to a great trilogy now.

Or we'd be talking about how Mangold got burnt out after working on two Wolverine films and totally dropped the ball on his third. Which usually seems to be the case when a director is with a franchise for that long.

Yeah if this franchise had started with Mangold directing Origins we could be talking about Logan being a great conclusion to a great trilogy now.
If Mangold would've been on Origins he would've never made The Wolverine or Logan. I mean Origins was a 90% studio mandated film affected by the writer's strike that took ages to film. And remember how Hood wanted Wolverine to have PTSD? But obviously this was in the time were Fox thought that the audience wouldn't be interested in heavy themes. Heck they were ready to replace Hood until Richard Donner flew in. Mangold wouldn't have gone along with any of that. Ever.

Last edited:
I think people are giving Mangold a lot more credit than he deserves. He just happened to come into the franchise at a time where studios were more open to different approaches to the genre, just like with Nolan and Batman. It's not clout, it's just opportunity and luck.

After all, this is the guy that directed Kate & Leopold, Identity and Knight & Day. The guys not above doing work-for-hire studio tripe.

Hey, I liked Knight and Day. Fun movie. If it was playing on TV I'd sit down and watch it.

And considering Mangold was the co-writer, came up with the story, and directed Logan I think he deserves all the credit.

I mean really Mangold has a better filmography than most cbm directors, aside from the heavy hitters like Nolan or Waititi. He's done movies like 3:10 to Yuma, Walk the line, Heavy, and Copland.

Girl, Interrupted won Angela Jolie best supporting actress. Reese Witherspoon won best actress for Walk the Line. Mangold clearly has talent.

Scott Derickson had a bunch of crap horror films on his resume and he did Dr. Strange.
The Russo's have only done two Captain America movies.
Before Guardians, James Gunn only had one good movie on his resume, Slither.

Do those directors get too much credit?

Last edited:
Not that I want to sorta put rankings on an artist's lifeworks and reduce their film to accolades and what critic's think, but just looking at critical reception - Jim is really accomplished. He has more great films than some directors have great CBM movies.

Not that I want to sorta put rankings on an artist's lifeworks and reduce their film to accolades and what critic's think, but just looking at critical reception - Jim is really accomplished. He has more great films than some directors have great CBM movies.

I just hate when people try to downplay directors. Regardless of how good or bad a director is, if they direct a good movie, they deserve credit.

Hey, I liked Knight and Day. Fun movie. If it was playing on TV I'd sit down and watch it.

And considering Mangold was the co-writer, came up with the story, and directed Logan I think he deserves all the credit.

I mean really Mangold has a better filmography than most cbm directors, aside from the heavy hitters like Nolan or Waititi. He's done movies like 3:10 to Yuma, Walk the line, Heavy, and Copland.

Girl, Interrupted won Angela Jolie best supporting actress. Reese Witherspoon won best actress for Walk the Line. Mangold clearly has talent.

Scott Derickson had a bunch of crap horror films on his resume and he did Dr. Strange.

I think they do, yes. I'm not really fond of any of those movies (though TWS is okay for the most part). GotG I outright hate. With comic book movies, it's hard to tell how much is the filmmaker and how much is the studio. There's not a lot of room for experimentation or genuine drama.

Mangold is certainly one of the few directors that not only had some prior features to his name but genuinely good movies. That doesn't always translate to a good cbm, though. Just look at what happened with Gavin Hood, David Ayer, Shane Black, Michel Gondry, Ang Lee, Martin Cambpell.

I readily admit that Logan is most likely as close to a filmmakers vision as we'll get in a big franchise movie like this, but it was just chance that Mangold came into the series at this time. Had the X-Men franchise not been on the downward trend when he was first hired, had Deadpool not been the hit it was, I doubt Fox would've had the balls to make Logan he way it is now.

If Mangold would've been on Origins he would've never made The Wolverine or Logan. I mean Origins was a 90% studio mandated film affected by the writer's strike that took ages to film. And remember how Hood wanted Wolverine to have PTSD? But obviously this was in the time were Fox thought that the audience wouldn't be interested in heavy themes. Heck they were ready to replace Hood until Richard Donner flew in. Mangold wouldn't have gone along with any of that. Ever.

Oh I know he wouldn't have. But he would have had more clout than Hood so still would have made a better movie imo.

Agreed, Mangold has always been a really good director. He deserves plenty of credit for Logan

I finally saw the film for the first time.

Holy crap; what a experience. Man, I'm still reeling for all of the emotions that I got from watching this film. "Logan" is the kind of the film that really leaves you in a state of numbness, where you questioned yourself on whether it's really all over.

If this is truly Hugh's final film, then he really went out with a bang. It's funny though, everyone used to complain on how Wolverine's character was pretty much engulfing the entire X-Men franchise...and in a way, this film was a good example of that seeing as how the film
killed Wolverine and the entire X-Men

I'm not sure if I can bring myself to watch this film again though. It's not because it's a bad film but it really drains a lot out of a person emotionally.

Just got back from seeing it again. It was actually '7 dead mutants' during the Westchester incident.

Man, after seeing the movie, that Hurt trailer is even more emotional.

Whoever cut that trailer deserves a raise.

I sure as hell missd his narration in 'Apocalypse'.

Holy crap!! We couldn't have asked for a better send off for Hugh Jackman! What a way to go out! James Mangold killed it this time (no pun intended)! I gave it a solid 8, possibly 8.5...which is really damn good on my scale because I'm a bit of a snob. For comparison I would give 'The Wolverine' maybe 6 or 6.5 and 'X-men Origins: Wolverine' a 4, maybe 3.5.

Something that would've bumped it up to a 9 for me would be some bonding time between Laura and Logan. I could tell that Logan cared for Laura, but I never felt like he even liked her...like at all. An acknowledgement from Logan of how she's just like him would've been great too. But I really liked the smaller character moments, like Logan and Charles's back and forth banter and I'm glad they didn't sacrifice the humor just because of the rating. It's actually funnier than The Wolverine! The main antagonist, while not very compelling, was enjoyable to watch due to his personality and charisma and he had one of the more satisfying ends in a Marvel based movie.

But most of all, I felt genuine sadness and emptiness when the credits rolled....which is something that should be felt when someone you love passes away. What a great movie. Thank you so much, Hugh Jackman, for your wonderful portrayal of this iconic character...and farewell!

I thought it was excellent. A-

I wasn't expecting this to be as long as it was, but it was enjoyable.

The relative lack of a bunch of mutants (aside the kids) was a good thing for the narrative.

Logan here is very war-weary. I'm not sure when it was established that adamantium was actually poisonous to his body? Curious.

It's good that we don't know too much about how many of the X-Men died. some may still be alive, living their lives, somewhere.

A cool final go-round for Patrick Stewart, it would have been interesting if he were the narrator-- even up until the end. So, no astral-projection get-out-of-death-card at the end? Hmmm...
Interesting that we see the "micro" version of his "seizure blast" power-- we saw it used against his will in X2, but for the most part we never really were exposed to the consequences (anyone operating/riding in any kind of vehicle would have been in a hell of a mess)..

Pierce and the Reavers were a good enough bunch of adversaries. No 'super' powers but the guns and bionic limbs were enough.

The fight at Logan's desert hideout was tremendous-- lots of twists, for sure, including the end chase in the limo.

Dr. Rice was not that compelling, to me. I guess they had to do something with him.

The Shane allegory seemed to fit, though I don't remember ever having seen that film on TV.

Glad to see Eriq LaSalle and Elise Neal in a high profile film again. The subplot/sidebar about corporate agriculture was a little surprising, I'm not sure how many people really got what was being hinted at.

And yeah, it's pretty awful that they ended up being victimized by the villains-- I couldn't help but think that in Origins, another kindly couple welcomed Logan, only for tragedy to strike.. I can only presume that the filmmakers knew they were kind of revisiting a similar scenario.

Caliban had a nice small role again. He got a rise out of the audience when he mentioned preparing a particular dessert for Professor X. I don't think a lot of Americans know what it is. ;)

I was vaguely thinking about 'Albert' myself when the evil clone showed up. I presume his bones weren't adamantium-treated, just the claws?
this was a much better use of an adamantium bullet in the climax compared to Origins.

The in-story X-Men comics were a nice touch. I'm surprised that there is an online fan contingent who have assumed it was a diss to fan culture.

The girl who played X-23 was impressive. Intriguing that the story made her mute for most of the film until Act 3. I wonder if she was involved in most of her own stunts? Those were all some intense, violent fighting sequences. Wow.

I doubt she'll play her again immediately. But we'll see, I guess. I predict that Fox would prefer to cast an older teen for a PG-13 film.

I was surprised that the filmmakers were allowed to make a film as violent as this was, especially involving a child character. Then again, I'm reminded of the Kick-@$$ films, but those were at least moderately satirical.

I did want Liev Schreiber to show up as Sabertooth. Maybe he could have been the secret henchman, super-bitter about being older/dying but willing to work with Alkali-Transigen to extend his life.

Last edited:
Caliban had a nice small role again. He got a rise out of the audience when he mentioned preparing a particular dessert for Professor X. I don't think a lot of Americans know what it is. ;)

Spotted dick. I'm British, so i got the reference.

Saw it today. I really didn't expect such a good movie.

The movie is so dark it's kind of upsetting. Everyone is dead or dying. Two of the series' most famous characters are both past their prime and it's handled in such a good way.

The ending bothered me slightly though, but it's forgivable (why would the kids be any safer in Canada than America or Mexico). I also feel that they should have done something with Ian McKellen's Magneto.

But yeah, probably the best X-Men movie, especially if you saw the first two films.

This is my favorite X-Men film. It was incredible. So incredible that I decided to make an account on here after lurking for years to actually talk about the film.

The ending bothered me slightly though, but it's forgivable (why would the kids be any safer in Canada than America or Mexico).

I felt this was a metaphor for the hardship many immigrants or refugees face when trying to come into another country to escape extreme violence and threat of death in their home countries. I never personally felt 'Logan', as a film, was telling us Canada is safer than the U.S. or Mexico. Gabriela believed it to be their best shot at safety and she and the kids hung onto this hope, but did not know for certain. This is exactly how many many immigrants feel when coming into the U.S. illegally or as refugees or people exiled from their countries. I recall seeing a documentary sometime back about members of a few impoverished Guatemalan families (I think it was Guatemala) who could not obtain a visa to come to the U.S. even though they had tried. They were going to be killed in their home country due to gang violence and government suppression and were under immediate threat and so they ran. These were said to be innocent people in that they were not criminals, but the situation in their country was tragic and oppressive. They felt their only hope was to try to go through Mexico and cross the border to the U.S. and the journey they made was so difficult and physically demanding that most of them died on the way. Only a few of them actually made it across the border only to be detained and deported once they made it across. However, from the very beginning, they had the hope that they would have been safe and free in the U.S. It is extremely sad, but it is a reality for many people, and I felt to some degree, 'Logan' was trying to capture what that hope and desperation feels like. The film ends with us truthfully not knowing whether the kids are safe, but we hope they are and we have the choice to believe that Eden really existed, that someone was waiting for them on the other side, and that they will be safe. I like how that was left open ended for us.

This is my favorite X-Men film. It was incredible. So incredible that I decided to make an account on here after lurking for years to actually talk about the film.

I felt this was a metaphor for the hardship many immigrants or refugees face when trying to come into another country to escape extreme violence and threat of death in their home countries. I never personally felt 'Logan', as a film, was telling us Canada is safer than the U.S. or Mexico. Gabriela believed it to be their best shot at safety and she and the kids hung onto this hope, but did not know for certain. This is exactly how many many immigrants feel when coming into the U.S. illegally or as refugees or people exiled from their countries. I recall seeing a documentary sometime back about members of a few impoverished Guatemalan families (I think it was Guatemala) who could not obtain a visa to come to the U.S. even though they had tried. They were going to be killed in their home country due to gang violence and government suppression and were under immediate threat and so they ran. These were said to be innocent people in that they were not criminals, but the situation in their country was tragic and oppressive. They felt their only hope was to try to go through Mexico and cross the border to the U.S. and the journey they made was so difficult and physically demanding that most of them died on the way. Only a few of them actually made it across the border only to be detained and deported once they made it across. However, from the very beginning, they had the hope that they would have been safe and free in the U.S. It is extremely sad, but it is a reality for many people, and I felt to some degree, 'Logan' was trying to capture what that hope and desperation feels like. The film ends with us truthfully not knowing whether the kids are safe, but we hope they are and we have the choice to believe that Eden really existed, that someone was waiting for them on the other side, and that they will be safe. I like how that was left open ended for us.

:up:

As we came out my cousin who'd already seen it once said "It leaves you cold but is a really good film" and that sums it up for me, it's a great closing chapter for the character and has some brilliant moments in it, but it's relentlessly bleak and not the type of film I'm are eager to revisit.

The performances of Hugh and Picard are top drawer and the kid playing X-23 was brilliant, she conveyed so much without speaking for most of the film and I totally bought into the bond she formed with Logan. The action was brutal and I'd say the two stand out sequences were the escape in the limo and Logan and Laura in tandem against the Reavers.

The villains were pretty menacing, I dug the leader of the Reavers as a top heel and Richard E Grant as the evil scientist, plus I got a shock when X-24 turned out to be a cloned Logan. Was that all Hugh with hair and make-up, or some CGI youth enhancement? I thought they overdid it with the cussing, not that it bothered me but Logan has never cussed as regularly as that in the books and it was out of character for Prof X.

I liked the quieter moments in the movie, like Charles calming the horses with his telepathy and the family dinner they shared with Dr. Peter Benton and his family. It was certainly a fiittng end for Wolverine and I thought Laura turning the cross into an X as the mutant kids went off to have a future he'd helped them have a chance at was a bittersweet but beautfiul final shot.

Logan's main theme was hauntingly beautiful as well.

[YT]n36aaCE6jiM[/YT]

This was really fantastic. Like I was amazed at how good it was. It's not often that I've seen an audience visibly and audibly emotionally effected by a CBM before, beyond just general blockbuster "heck yeah" reactions. So props to the movie there.

-Jackman and Stewart are fantastic here, and if this is their co-round as these characters then it was a near-perfect send off.

-Dafne Keen was amazing here. Like I was astonished at just how consistently great she was here, and at such a young age. And the fact that she had to do the majority of her acting with just her facial expression, posture, body language, etc makes it all the more impressive. It may very well be the best all-around performance by a child actor that I've ever seen (certainly Top Three easily). And after this, I'm 100% behind them making an X-23 solo film in the future.

-I ended up liking Donald Pierce as a villain quite a lot. I do wish that he'd gotten a bit more screentime, but I get why he didn't in the context of the story. And Boyd Holbrook just has a great deal of natural charisma and gives the character a certain slimy charm that makes him fun to watch (even though he's a really detestable person overall).

-Richard E. Grant does a believable job playing the "evil scientist" type, and I actually liked the X-24 thing. It fit thematically into the story I thought.

-Caliban was good also.

-The movie looks great and the direction is really good. And I loved the "modern-day Western" vibe that it had going on. Heck Pierce felt like an old-school western villain, just in modern-day. You could have put him in a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood Western as the baddie and he'd have fit there really well to.

-The Shane parallels are obvious. But I also got some Unforgiven and No Country for Old Men vibes as well. And being as how I really like all three of those films, I liked it here as well.

-I also really liked the climax and don't at all agree that it doesn't live up to the rest of the movie. I felt like it totally fit in and made a lot of sense.

-The action is brutal, hard-hitting, relentless, and not at all glamorize. Again my audience was clearly reacting to it in places. In other words, exactly how it should have been.

-The score was really good, and I admire how restrained it was most of the time.

-Etc.

In short, I'm having trouble thinking of any real negatives here that aren't really minor nitpicks overall. This was just a great FILM, not just a great comic book film.

10/10 easily.

There's so many great layers to this film. Mangold wants to see Logan let loose with the claws (for himself, Hugh and the fans), but I also feel like he's making a statement towards those who may only be concerned with the more violent aspects of the character. X-24, for all intents and purposes, is probably close to what Weapon X was in his heyday and what fans have wanted to see all these years, but Mangold simultaneously allows us to see that it's actually quite horrifying to see Logan like that and in real life, killing isn't glamorous. He finds a great balance.

Oh, and during the tracking shot of him charging through the forest, one of the Reavers says, "There's the Wolverine!" That's such a cool moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"