The Dark Knight Rises Love Interest in the Third Film

Had a really hard time choosing between Catwoman and Vicki Vale but in the end I chose Vale. If I could have chosen both I probably would have.

I know there are numerous reasons why Batman "needs" Catwoman as a love interest, but why would Catwoman need Batman? She can take care of herself and probably wouldn't need any help to get out of a tricky situation.

It would annoy me if they made Catwoman reckless towards dangerous situations so that she can be rescued by Batman. It would just feel too much like a plot device to make Catwoman his "true" love.

For me, Vicki Vale would work much better as a love interest of sorts.

My idea is that Bruce Wayne is avoiding dealing with the death of Rachel. He throws himself into his role as Batman, being more aggressive and brutal than he would normally be. This leads him to begin making little mistakes, something which the next villain could take advantage of. Alfred is growing concerned over Bruce's reckless behaviour. Bruce tries to prove to Alfred that he is fine and begins dating Vicki Vale, who it turns out is doing a newspaper article on Batman. Vicki also seems to have some personality characteristics similar to Rachel, something which Alfred picks up on. Bruce takes Vicki out on dates and they do what normal couples expect to do although there is no feeling behind it on Bruce's part. Vicki becomes increasingly aware of Bruce's detachment to the given situation over the course of the movie and eventually calls him out about his feelings. Vicki and Bruce break up and Bruce begins to deal with Rachel's death. A few days later, Bruce throws a fundraiser to celebrate the creation of the Thomas and Martha Wayne Foundation Trust, a charity in memory of his parents which helps provide money to improve the disadvantaged areas of Gotham. Vicki attends the fundraiser as she is covering the event for the news paper. She wishes Bruce well for the future and hopes that he finds someone who can make him happy. Bruce then talks to some other fundraiser guests including a woman named Selina Kyle.

Vicki wouldn’t be such a damsel in distress as she was in Batman.

ALittlePush said:
I know there are numerous reasons why Batman "needs" Catwoman as a love interest, but why would Catwoman need Batman? She can take care of herself and probably wouldn't need any help to get out of a tricky situation.It would annoy me if they made Catwoman reckless towards dangerous situations so that she can be rescued by Batman. It would just feel too much like a plot device to make Catwoman his "true" love.
As I see it, Catwoman doesn't need to be rescued by anyone, but she likes Batman and wants to convert him to his side, see the wolrd the way she does. Like the Joker did.I don't want any more women trying to anchor Bruce down to a normal life. That's Alfred work and that's precisely what you are suggesting for Vicki. I want Catwoman because she can be the first exceptional and complex female character of the Nolan series so far.

As I see it, Catwoman doesn't need to be rescued by anyone, but she likes Batman and wants to convert him to his side, see the wolrd the way she does. Like the Joker did.I don't want any more women trying to anchor Bruce down to a normal life. That's Alfred work and that's precisely what you are suggesting for Vicki. I want Catwoman because she can be the first exceptional and complex female character of the Nolan series so far.
I'm inclined to agree.

Had a really hard time choosing between Catwoman and Vicki Vale but in the end I chose Vale. If I could have chosen both I probably would have.

I know there are numerous reasons why Batman "needs" Catwoman as a love interest, but why would Catwoman need Batman? She can take care of herself and probably wouldn't need any help to get out of a tricky situation.

It would annoy me if they made Catwoman reckless towards dangerous situations so that she can be rescued by Batman. It would just feel too much like a plot device to make Catwoman his "true" love.

For me, Vicki Vale would work much better as a love interest of sorts.

My idea is that Bruce Wayne is avoiding dealing with the death of Rachel. He throws himself into his role as Batman, being more aggressive and brutal than he would normally be. This leads him to begin making little mistakes, something which the next villain could take advantage of. Alfred is growing concerned over Bruce's reckless behaviour. Bruce tries to prove to Alfred that he is fine and begins dating Vicki Vale, who it turns out is doing a newspaper article on Batman. Vicki also seems to have some personality characteristics similar to Rachel, something which Alfred picks up on. Bruce takes Vicki out on dates and they do what normal couples expect to do although there is no feeling behind it on Bruce's part. Vicki becomes increasingly aware of Bruce's detachment to the given situation over the course of the movie and eventually calls him out about his feelings. Vicki and Bruce break up and Bruce begins to deal with Rachel's death. A few days later, Bruce throws a fundraiser to celebrate the creation of the Thomas and Martha Wayne Foundation Trust, a charity in memory of his parents which helps provide money to improve the disadvantaged areas of Gotham. Vicki attends the fundraiser as she is covering the event for the news paper. She wishes Bruce well for the future and hopes that he finds someone who can make him happy. Bruce then talks to some other fundraiser guests including a woman named Selina Kyle.

Vicki wouldn’t be such a damsel in distress as she was in Batman.
Selina is to Bruce what Lois is to Superman and MJ is to Spiderman. Therefore i think that if Nolan is to introduce another love interest, he has to introduce Selina. I mean, its his last movie, right?

Last edited:
Selina is to Bruce what Lois is to Superman and MJ is to Spiderman. Therefore i think that if Nolan is to introduce another love interest, he has to introduce Selina. I mean, its his last movie, right?

I can see where you're coming from. However, if it is Nolan's last movie, to introduce Catwoman as Batman's "true" love all within the space of one movie just feels a little bit forced, IMO.

Rachel died in TDK, and although lots of people say that Bruce didn't really love her or that there should be enough time passed between each film to take care of the mourning period, it always feels a little off when a significant death is just seemingly ignored.

I'm not a big fan of the Rachel character but she did have a big impact on Bruce's life. For Bruce just to move on and fall in love with someone else without showing any signs of grief just feels a little wrong.

That's why I chose Vicki, Bruce isn't in love with her, he's only dating her to prove to Alfred that he is fine. He's avoiding dealing with Rachel's death. It's only after Vicki calls him out on his feelings, that Bruce starts to deal with it.

He could visit the graves of Rachel and his parents before the fundraiser scene.

I introduced Selina at the end as a little nod to their relationship. He would be getting over Rachel so their would be no reason why a relationship couldn't develop between Selina and Bruce in a fourth movie, if there is one. If there isn't, it could be left up to interpretation as to how the relationship develops.

I can see where you're coming from. However, if it is Nolan's last movie, to introduce Catwoman as Batman's "true" love all within the space of one movie just feels a little bit forced, IMO.

Rachel died in TDK, and although lots of people say that Bruce didn't really love her or that there should be enough time passed between each film to take care of the mourning period, it always feels a little off when a significant death is just seemingly ignored.

I'm not a big fan of the Rachel character but she did have a big impact on Bruce's life. For Bruce just to move on and fall in love with someone else without showing any signs of grief just feels a little wrong.

That's why I chose Vicki, Bruce isn't in love with her, he's only dating her to prove to Alfred that he is fine. He's avoiding dealing with Rachel's death. It's only after Vicki calls him out on his feelings, that Bruce starts to deal with it.

He could visit the graves of Rachel and his parents before the fundraiser scene.

I introduced Selina at the end as a little nod to their relationship. He would be getting over Rachel so their would be no reason why a relationship couldn't develop between Selina and Bruce in a fourth movie, if there is one. If there isn't, it could be left up to interpretation as to how the relationship develops.
I understand where you re coming from as well, but i think that if this is Nolan's last movie, he has to establish the major characters and Vale isnt one of them. Of course he cant explore the Cat-Bat relationship in one movie, but he could initiate it and end the movie with the premise of a long future between them.

i wished Vicki Vale would come back... with Kim Basinger!!! she needs only some face-lotions and she would look again like in Batman89. For me she is the best girl. she was the most natural - and most beautiful girl in the movies...

edit: but she´s the girl of michael keaton... it would be strange if she is flirting with christian bale now... hng..

i wished Vicki Vale would come back... with Kim Basinger!!! she needs only some face-lotions and she would look again like in Batman89. For me she is the best girl. she was the most natural - and most beautiful girl in the movies...

edit: but she´s the girl of michael keaton... it would be strange if she is flirting with christian bale now... hng..

If Vicki Vale did come back, I would want her to scream a lot less and not be such a damsel in distress.

I'd like to see Selina Kyle or Vicki Vale. :up:

Forget Catwoman...she will be out of the third movie! And I´d like to know why Talia al Ghul´s thread was removed????

And yet that's all she is.

What I mean is you can have a stereotypical damsel in distress with the screaming at every opportunity and the fainting and the "I tried nothing to stop myself being captured" or you can have the less of a damsel in distress who screams a lot less, has to be gassed before they lose conciousness and puts up more of a fight to prevent their capture although they will still need to be rescued.

Wouldn't mind Selina, but I'd really like to see Talia on screen.

I'm gonna be flamed for this, but after Catwoman (who will always be his #1 anyway) i like this:
a122.png

Zatanna was also great as a late teen love interest in the "Zatanna" episode of BTAS.

I'm gonna be flamed for this, but after Catwoman (who will always be his #1 anyway) i like this:
a122.png

Zatanna was also great as a late teen love interest in the "Zatanna" episode of BTAS.

I'm 100% behind you, actually. :up: I adore that episode, their history. I wonder what Nolan would do if he were to consider her? Hmm..

Zatanna wouldn't even be a contender for the maybe list of love interests. The likes of Selina, Vicki, Julie Madison, Talia, Silver, Vesper etc would far out rank her.

Besides Selina, Talia and Vale, i have barely heard of the rest of them. Being that they are Bruce's gals in the batbooks i assume that they outrank anyone outside them simply be being in them. But anyway, i dont think Bruce actually cared much about Vale or these other girls. I remember he used to date one of them during his early years in the Monster Men story and he was standing her up all the time.

As for Zatanna, he hasnt had anything with her in the comics anyway. She admitted that she was expecting a move from him but he never made one. I loved their teen romance in BTAS' origin story and how Dini adressed Batman's escape artist abilities.

But i do think that his romance with WW is very deep. They clearly have feelings for each other but his mission and her immortality keep them apart. WW has shown to have a lot of feelings for him. She used a hax machine that could predict the future or whatever and one of the possible futures that it predicted was them being together until Bruce's final moments and Diana losing him of old age (she doesnt age).

Lately as a temporary Star Sapphire, Diana used her lasso on Mera, Aquaman's wife to see why she was so full of rage (she was a red lantern of rage) and they exchanged memories, with the picture i posted above being Diana's memory of Bruce. Through her discussion with Mera its obvious how much she loved him (he's dead for the time being).

Last edited:
If there's going to be any romance in these movies Selina Kyle/Catwoman and Talia (and none of that "Talia Head" stuff, it's Talia Al Ghul) are the only one's who make sense. Vicki Vale or Silver Saint Cloud or any normal romantic interest with a regular woman etc. wouldn't be anymore that an annoyance. Such romances would be pretty boring. Bruce needs that super-charged electric chemistry that only Selina or Talia could provide. There's gotta be fire....I just wish Nolan set up Talia in BB. It would have been awesome to see Ras on a thrown with Talia (saying few words) standing next to him looking gorgeous and slightly dangerous!

Last edited:
Besides Selina, Talia and Vale, i have barely heard of the rest of them.

Really?

Julie Madison was Bruce Wayne's first major love interest. If you're looking for recent stories with her, check out Batman and the Mad Monk, and Batman and the Monster Men. Elle McPherson also played Julie in Batman and Robin. Silver St Cloud was involved in some of the most infamous stories in Batman lore, like The Laughing Fish, and the whole Hugo Strange saga where he learned Batman's identity. A lot of old school Batman fans pegged her as Batman's one true love interest. And Vesper Fairchild, she was a love interest in the late 90's, who was eventually murdered, and kicked off a huge story arc called Bruce Wayne fugitive/murderer where he was framed for her murder.

Really?

Julie Madison was Bruce Wayne's first major love interest. If you're looking for recent stories with her, check out Batman and the Mad Monk, and Batman and the Monster Men. Elle McPherson also played Julie in Batman and Robin. Silver St Cloud was involved in some of the most infamous stories in Batman lore, like The Laughing Fish, and the whole Hugo Strange saga where he learned Batman's identity. A lot of old school Batman fans pegged her as Batman's one true love interest. And Vesper Fairchild, she was a love interest in the late 90's, who was eventually murdered, and kicked off a huge story arc called Bruce Wayne fugitive/murderer where he was framed for her murder.

I completely forgot she played Julie. Should go punch in B&R again.

Really?

Julie Madison was Bruce Wayne's first major love interest. If you're looking for recent stories with her, check out Batman and the Mad Monk, and Batman and the Monster Men.
Yeah that's the girl i was referring to in my previous post. I didnt remember her name.

I find the idea of Batman & Wonder Woman as a couple disgusting, much as I always found the idea of Wolverine & Jean Grey as a couple disgusting, but that's just me. :cwink:

Within these films, Catwoman/Selina Kyle & Talia are the only ones that would make sense, as stated above (but I still voted for Selina).

Talia though may have a lot of side story that would need to be brought about in the third film if they went with her. And I have a feeling they won't want a lot of that. It's for sure possible, but I wonder if they will really have a love interest be center stage in the third. I think Talia may need to be center stage if they do chose her though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"