World Making a Spiderman costume

Spidey7pc.jpg

anyone have an idea of how to make a 5 piece or a 7 piece outfit like this? i was thinking with flat, not raised webbing...

For a skilled seamster, it's not hard at all...just lengthy. The darts on the face get sewn together and the patches on the side of the head all come together to make the hood.

The palms and thumbs get sewn onto the hands and arms...etc. etc.

Is any specific sewing order necessary? I ask because some people are selling un-sewn/cut prints for much cheaper. I've sewn things together before, but never something this big...

You can get plain sheets of urethane (I just checked my link up there...it's not hitting to the right place...i'll fix that) ... then all you have to do is trace and cut! They even have red if you want to do the backside.

As for the new movie suit..I'd love to hear ideas about how to make THAT monster happen :)

That would be a great alternate to buying spider, do remember to correct the link.:woot:

Hey guys! I've been pretty busy lately, but wanted to stop by and see what was up around here.

Thought I'd show off a new material that turned out better than expected. It would be perfect for people who dont like or have the budget to mold...but want to make a 3d urethane Spider-Man chest symbol.

Well it's pretty simple and kinda cool. www.mcmaster.com sells sheets of urethane of multiple thicknesses and in huge sheets.

Here's the exact type I got: here It cost $17

e81267336f62da330978f4f8f8097b3f286524d7.jpg
77f26b537763eab2048892f887567da4e1ff15fd.jpg

StanLee, What is the name of the urethane sheet you used? I'm having a little trouble navigating the site.

Last edited:
On the McMaster site...

go to

Raw materials >> Rubber >> Sheets, Bars, and Strips >> then narrow down using the thickness you want and the size of the sheet that you want.

A spiderman chest logo is approximately 2.5 or 3 mm ... maybe even 4 if you want.

Thanks for the tip. It's too bad though that there's hardly anywhere to just buy a good spidey suit.

I think this is a way cheaper way then buying the spider custom made, im sure the quality is good too

Does anyone have tips on webbing? I don't want the raised webbing but i also don't have money to spend on dye sublimation. How easy/cost effective would it be to just have it printed onto red lycra at a screen printing company?

can someone PLEASE make me a costume like the movie one?
Do you mean the Tobey Maguire suit or the Andrew Garfield suit?
I'm pretty sure there's a user on here that makes the Maguire suit, but I hear they're pretty pricey. Also I think he only makes the raised webbing in one size, because cutting a new mold for the urethane would be too expensive.

As for the Garfield suit, I don't think anyone has perfected that yet.

Can someone help me please!...I cant make the lenses of the spiderman costum, pleas I really need it, how to make it, what kind of material I can use...etc..I appreciate your comments.. tks

Hi guys newby here though ive been following the forum for awhile, just purchased a suit print and waiting for it to come back from the dye sub company. Can anyone give me tips on sewing the costume like the hands and extra material outside the spiderwebs does that get tucked inside. Any tips would be greatly appreciated...and If anyone has a suit for sale please let me know thanks guys.

anybody have a tutorial or advice on how to make the eyes on this mask larger and how to use one way lenses instead of mesh cloth?

AphjktoCIAQvj9f.jpg:large

dude your link that you put is not working, its says there no context search related to it.

Thanks StanLee Wannabe! :)

I spent ages last night searching through forums and other sites trying to understand how everyone does the cowl / hood / mask! I see most people use an undermask mold, then put the cowl on either gluing it on the undermask or leaving it lose and finally attaching the frames. My folder on my desktop called "Research" is growing exponentially lol

I will use an undermask but will be looking for an alternative method, just to figure out what methods I can try!

Thanks for the info on urethane as well! Is it called Urethane Foam in the shop? I might put an order in or look at alternative substances I can source in the UK, B & Q and Wickies here I come lol. Have you used any other substances like rubber, silcone, plastics etc?

If I can't find anything I may have to resort to using fun foam that is used for kids projects ;)

Spidey4Fun very kindly sent me the scarlet spider logo that he drew (thanks again btw!) and working on the hoodie for a comic con in london in April :) I have spraypainted it (see pic)

5362296820_af65c029bb.jpg

onto the hoodie but really want to use 3D symbols for good effect.

My ultimate project is to recreate the jacket from the Leo Zelinsky design, although at the moment I may end up sourcing a tailor to make the jacket for me!

I actually have a ss hoodie like that - what London con are your going to?

Hey guys, I'm really liking the idea for this new forum. :highfive: I'm currently working on my own spidey suit and will hopefully figure out how to post pics so I can show you what I'm doing.

Basically I've gone for a cross between the Ultimate pattern with The Amazing Spider-Man (TASM) suits details. For the red portions I've used 4 way stretch red lycra from Hancock Fabrics. If you zoom in on a hi-res pic of the new suit, you will see that the black web-lines are surrounded by a very thin strip of red fabric while the 'squares' inside the webbing (more of a grid on the new suit) are a darker color red filled with small hexagons. (I hope I'm explaining this well...)

To achieve a similar effect, I've cut blue painters tape into 1/4 inch strips and carefully laid it onto the fabric to achieve the webbing/grid pattern. Next I placed a mesh fabric with the hexagon pattern (it was a camo mesh material that my brother was using for his gillie suit, if I can find a link online I will post it, but you could probably find it at Hobby Lobby) onto the fabric and smoothed it out. I had to tape it down in some places.

Next I found a can of rust oxide spray paint that happened to be in my Dad's shop (hurrah for free paint!) and carefully painted the fabric. I deliberately sprayed it on more thickly in some places to create some muscle shading. The mesh kind of obstructs your veiw of the final product, so you have to be careful to not spray too much/not enough...

After you remove the mesh and tape you have a piece of muscle shaded, hexagon speckled fabric with bright red web lines. Note: the honeycomb pattern is really subtle, and not visible in places, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Again, I'll post pics when and if I can. :)

The next step will be to apply some 3d tulip paint to create the webbing and front spider. I've ordered some of the paint but it won't get here till thursday/friday (Grrrr... :argh:) hopefully I won't muck up that bit... In the meantime I plan to finish the gloves (which are being annoying and not fitting properly) and the mask.

The pattern I'm using is modified and I'm hoping it will fit properly :yay: fingers crossed.

Cheers.

After seeing that^ comment, thought I'd post this. It's from a super high res shot of the TASM suit. Maybe it'll help somebody in their suit-making process. :D

8Eq6V.jpg

Thanks Troy. I haven't seen a pic of the suit with that much detail, how they did this I have no idea. :wow: I hope the TASM DVD might shed some light on how they made the costume (as well as other goodies, of course).

p.s. The fabric paint unexpectedly arrived today. I've started adding the webs and so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"