Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure $700 million is guaranteed. But possible? Sure.

Man of Steel (Warner Bros.) — $271.2 million
The box office performance of the latest Superman reboot has been a hotly contested topic. Some consider it a slam dunk, since it opened with $128.7 million and easily surpassed the disappointing $200 million domestic total of 2006′s Superman Returns. Some consider it a disappointment, since it cost a whopping $225 million to produce and has fallen swiftly from its gargantuan debut, putting it on track for a $300 million domestic finish. I fall into the former camp. Warner Bros. marketed the heck out of this Zack Snyder-directed sequel; it’s already earned $542.9 million worldwide (Returns grossed just $391 million) en route to a likely $700 million finish. While that pales in comparison to Iron Man 3‘s global haul, Man of Steel is a franchise launchpad — not a sequel — and it nicely sets up Warner Bros. to build a mega-profitable series around appealing star Henry Cavill.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/07/best-box-office-performances-2013/

From what a guy on youtube tells me, Superman is unusually popular in the UK due to many of the Chris Reeve films playing a lot on the BBC.

That's true... I guess I'm still gauging my reactions based on the reception Superman Returns got.

Then again, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight wasn't HUGE over here either so I'm still a litlle surprised.

I agree 100%...when all is said and done it will crawl over 700...just.

That's really not what it means to have something 'locked'. If you just barely crawl passed the stated amount then there was plenty of legit reason to doubt if your film would ever get there. For MoS to be 'locked' for 700M it should fly by that number with some gas left in the tank and finish at 710+ at least.

That's really not what it means to have something 'locked'. If you just barely crawl passed the stated amount then there was plenty of legit reason to doubt if your film would ever get there. For MoS to be 'locked' for 700M it should fly by that number with some gas left in the tank and finish at 710+ at least.

This is true...but it's difficult to put a lid on enthusiasm for something that's been bashed so many times on here. People are constantly revising there numbers, pathetic really. I include myself in this.:yay:

Okay, $710 million + it is! Domestic take is going to take it to around $615 million WW and then throw in Brazil, Japan and whatever it pulls in from all of the other countries over the next six weeks or so, and IMO it's pretty easy to make a case for MOS getting beyond $700 Million. It opens in Brazil next Friday. If it does poorly there, then I'll concede to you that it will be a struggle for it get to that $700 million mark. Lets see where it is at a week from Monday.

I may be off on my overall predictions, but so far my mini-predictions have pretty spot on.

I predicted $60-65m in China through today, and it's at $58. I still predict by the end of its' run in China it will be between $70-75m.

I predicted $275m domestic at the end of this weekend about a week ago. Ended up at $271m.

I'm revising my overall prediction down to $750-800m ww. I'm still going to be optimistic.

I may be off on my overall predictions, but so far my mini-predictions have pretty spot on.

I predicted $60-65m in China through today, and it's at $58. I still predict by the end of its' run in China it will be between $70-75m.

I predicted $275m domestic at the end of this weekend about a week ago. Ended up at $271m.

I'm revising my overall prediction down to $750-800m ww. I'm still going to be optimistic.

That's an enthusiastic figure!

Yeah...right on!!!!

Based on Sunday estimate, the weekly take could end up looking something like this

Mon- 1.45(-55%)
Tue- 1.66(+15%)
Wed- 1.33(-20%)
Thur- 1.26(-5%)

So that's $5.7M for the week meaning about $17M for week 4 which keeps it right on pace for $300M domestic.

Enthusiasm brothers...yeah...right on!!

Based on Sunday estimate, the weekly take could end up looking something like this

Mon- 1.45(-55%)
Tue- 1.66(+15%)
Wed- 1.33(-20%)
Thur- 1.26(-5%)

So that's $5.7M for the week meaning about $17M for week 4 which keeps it right on pace for $300M domestic.

Yeah!! Enthusiasm brothers...right on!!:yay::woot::yay::woot::yay::woot::yay::woot:

Okay, $710 million + it is! Domestic take is going to take it to around $615 million WW and then throw in Brazil, Japan and whatever it pulls in from all of the other countries over the next six weeks or so, and IMO it's pretty easy to make a case for MOS getting beyond $700 Million. It opens in Brazil next Friday. If it does poorly there, then I'll concede to you that it will be a struggle for it get to that $700 million mark. Lets see where it is at a week from Monday.

I don't disagree, necessarily. MoS going passed 700M WW wouldn't really surprise me all that much. However, I think an opposing argument is just as easy to make which is why I don't throw the 'locked' term around. Saying IM3 passing $1B WW after it's OW or 2nd weekend is an example of 'locked' that makes sense.

I'm just a stickler for terms, and saying something is locked has a very specific meaning. It means that barring the outbreak of WWIII or some other calamity that is unforeseeable it is guaranteed to pass a certain mark. MoS is 'locked' for $650M for example, probably $675M even. But beyond that I hesitate to call locks. You don't put the terms 'struggle to reach' and 'locked' in the same thought. They're opposites.

And while your DOM guess of another $30M is possible, I think it's a bit high considering we have yet another superhero movie among all the competition coming up. I'd put the DOM tank that's left at $20-23M.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be pathetic and say...it's gonna make a billion...yeah right on!!

Only Joking!

I don't disagree, necessarily. MoS going passed 700M WW wouldn't really surprise me all that much. However, I think an opposing argument is just as easy to make which is why I don't throw the 'locked' term around. Saying IM3 passing $1B WW after it's OW or 2nd weekend is an example of 'locked' that makes sense.

I'm just a stickler for terms, and saying something is locked has a very specific meaning. It means that barring the outbreak of WWIII or some other calamity that is unforeseeable it is guaranteed to pass a certain mark. MoS is 'locked' for $650M for example, probably $675M even. But beyond that I hesitate to call locks. You don't put the terms 'struggle to reach' and 'locked' in the same thought. They're opposites.

And while your DOM guess of another $30M is possible, I think it's a bit high considering we have yet another superhero movie among all the competition coming up. I'd put the DOM tank that's left at $20-23M.

I stated it would crawl.:yay:

I'm gonna be pathetic and say...it's gonna make a billion...yeah right on!!

Only Joking!

It makes you think though, what it could have got to if it had been universally loved (critically etc) and had a better release window. Wonder how close to a billion it would have got.

It makes you think though, what it could have got to if it had been universally loved (critically etc) and had a better release window. Wonder how close to a billion it would have got.

Maybe another 100M WW beyond wherever it ends up at. Who knows? There's really no way to tell. I think even in that case a billion would've been quite a long shot.

I genuinely thought it would get close. I guess a lot of people base their opinions on the hype train machine...even so, it has done very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"