Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really helps that there's not a lot of competition out right now. One thing that I think hurt Star Trek was Iron Man 3 was still running well and Great Gatsby came in above expectation.

This is the End is the only thing out anyone else might want to see that's new, and that's a different demographic.

Pretty strong. Hopeful for 100M OW, would be amazing if it beat out Spider-man 114M (although spider-man blows it out of the water in terms of tickets sold no 3D,Imax). That would almost guarantee a sequel imho.

I'm positive it will.:up:

If it means anything; I can't get another ticket to watch it where i am, because it's booked completely for the rest of the day. The only time people have ever swarmed the cinema this much is when Skyfall came out.

It really helps that there's not a lot of competition out right now. One thing that I think hurt Star Trek was Iron Man 3 was still running well and Great Gatsby came in above expectation.

This is the End is the only thing out anyone else might want to see that's new, and that's a different demographic.

As of today you are right, as of next week, it technically in one of the stiffest situations a cbm's been in since Captain America.

Though STID may have had a lousier deal.
Also, WB has had a pretty lame year thus far. They need this and hobbit to deliver.

Gonna be interesting watching this thread go from doom and gloom back up again. This is pretty entertaining.

I'm pretty sure MOS will have more legs than Iron Man 3. One of the big complaints about IM3 was a lack of action, too much of the corny Mr Stark. No problem for MOS in that department, apparently not a lot of Clark and a colossal amount of Superman action :jedi

I'm pretty sure MOS will have more legs than Iron Man 3. One of the big complaints about IM3 was a lack of action, too much of the corny Mr Stark. No problem for MOS in that department, apparently not a lot of Clark and a colossal amount of Superman action :jedi

I have my doubts MoS will hit top five world wide(like im3), but it probably won't face many of those Ironman issues no. It supposedly will face it's own though.

It's so strange to imagine what films of the past would have faced, complaint wise had they been released today. I mean what would people have said about Returns post Avengers and TDK, what would people have said about Willem defoe today, or even Xmen....

I have my doubts MoS will hit top five world wide(like im3), but it probably won't face many of those Ironman issues no. It supposedly will face it's own though.

It's so strange to imagine what films of the past would have faced, complaint wise had they been released today. I mean what would people have said about Returns post Avengers and TDK, what would people have said about Willem defoe today, or even Xmen....

Those are actually good questions to ask. And impossible to answer.

Right. And without Wal-Mart 7pm showings that number probably would have been 15-18mil.

It's not doing record breaking international numbers, trust me. It will do well but we should be happy with 300mil.

That is a little down and out. The whole Non-American lead angle may help the movie because Superman can scream American Imperialism at times.

Its already added.
Without it , it would only be 9 million.

We don't know the amount of people that bought 7PM shows...they WOULD have likley bought midnight shows most likely. Even if you split it, 15 million just on midnights is pretty damn high for a reboot.

Here's something no one is yet talking about. I was on the fence about when I would see this movie again. After having our brains fried at midnight, we immediately decided we're seeing it again this weekend and the sooner the better. I heard people in the row behind us talking about the same thing. I'm pretty positive that wasn't a freak occurrence. If blockbusters are eye candy, then Man of Steel is eye heroin.

Same here. I saw it in a pretty intimate smaller theatre in Pasadena, but I HAVE to see this in IMAX after watching it.

DeFoe was awesome, but that costume has always been bad, especially when you see the makeup and animatronics they had planned, not to mention DeFoe already looks like Goblin.

DeFoe was awesome, but that costume has always been bad, especially when you see the makeup and animatronics they had planned, not to mention DeFoe already looks like Goblin.

Yeah but as bad as that costume was, I have a newfound repect for it after seeing the horrible costume from turn off the dark.

We don't know the amount of people that bought 7PM shows...they WOULD have likley bought midnight shows most likely. Even if you split it, 15 million just on midnights is pretty damn high for a reboot.

True, if anything,that 7pm showing took away some ticket sales from the people that would've seen it at midnight. Plus, the 3-D tickets were cheaper if you bought if from the Wal-Mart screening than if you saw it at midnight and bought it from the movie theater.So some money could have been lost on that extra 3D charge that was not added from the Wal-Mart tickets.

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice
Early Friday grosses indicate that MAN OF STEEL is headed for more than $120 mil this weekend. #ManofSteel

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice
Early Friday grosses indicate that MAN OF STEEL is headed for more than $120 mil this weekend. #ManofSteel

nice!

that's more than what WB had anticipated

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice

Being a reboot and coming off of SR, absolutely amazing! :up:

nice!

that's more than what WB had anticipated

Pretty sure they expect that.
But these sorts of numbers look all the prettier when they are 30-50 mill higher than the studio's listed estimates.

Really amazing to think Man of Steel might be the highest opening weekend ever for an origin CBM or reboot. Crazy. WB is doing a happy little dance in their studio right now. Too have Batman and now Superman after TDK trilogy. Justice League might be the one to top Avengers at the box-office IF they do it right/and do rebooted Batman correct.

Yeah... Studios usually released much lower numbers than what they expect. I'm sure they know they can expect something over $100M based on the tracking and pre-sales that they're getting.

WB had a horrible year until Gatsby's surpring opening weekend, looks like they've done it again. If a crappy GL movie can open to 53mil then a Superman movie that looks amazing should at least be doubling that opening weekend.

I'm still hoping for 150mil opening with at least 2.5 multiplier. Iron Man 3 and Furious 6 are sequels so of course their legs aren't great and should not be compared to this MOS.

Kudos to the people who always predicted over 100mil opening weekend because I sure didn't.

Superman is going to enter again in the private club of the AAA superhero franchises. I have been waited for this moment for more than 20 years.

WB had a horrible year until Gatsby's surpring opening weekend, looks like they've done it again. If a crappy GL movie can open to 53mil then a Superman movie that looks amazing should at least be doubling that opening weekend.

I'm still hoping for 150mil opening with at least 2.5 multiplier. Iron Man 3 and Furious 6 are sequels so of course their legs aren't great and should not be compared to this MOS.

Kudos to the people who always predicted over 100mil opening weekend because I sure didn't.

Did you like the film spidey?

Still have no clue what the legs will be like, a second week dive could hurt matters.
If everything goes as it usually does than I'm sticking with my TF numbers.

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice

Nice hope it makes around 150-160 million but still for a reboot this is great.

The number this weekend means little. 3D prices, IMAX. Hell, Fast and Furious is pulling in these kinds of numbers. It's all about the drop off in the following week. If it doesn't hold, and it probably won't hold strong given this WoM, it's lukewarm, tepid, whatever adjective you want to throw in there. I'll just stick with 'meh'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"