Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The number this weekend means little. 3D prices, IMAX. Hell, Fast and Furious is pulling in these kinds of numbers. It's all about the drop off in the following week. If it doesn't hold, and it probably won't hold strong given this WoM, it's lukewarm, tepid, whatever adjective you want to throw in there. I'll just stick with 'meh'.

FF6 is off of 5 other films and IT DID NOT do these numbers on memorial day weekend. Man of Steel could do (probably a little more (In the MIDDLE of JUNE of all months) what FF6 did in 4 days on a Holiday weeekend.

Great news... Anything over 120+ mil is a bonus since I have never seen a reboot with so many critics putting the movie down... Yet the fan/GA love it. Keep spreading the word and go see it a few times yourself. I wonder if Superman can pull what Avator did with word of mouth. Saw it in IMAX 3d last night and it was amazing. Will go see it in regular and 2d.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man...elease-record-opening-day-in-the-philippines/
FRIDAY 1 PM, 2ND UPDATE: “We are having a big day!” a Warner Bros exec just gushed to me. “Movie’s working!” exulted another exec at the studio. No official numbers yet. But my sources say that, based on matinee trends, Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters with 3D in 3,357 venues) is looking like $42.5M to $47.5M today, plus however the studio accounts for the $9M from Friday midnights and the $12M of corporate/Wal-Mart sales screenings from Thursday 7 PM shows. My sources have 3-day weekend estimates ranging from $114M to $120M with 4-day cumes ranging from $126M to $132M. ”It’s way behind Iron Man 3 but way ahead of Superman Returns,” a rival studio exec tells me. (Iron Man 3 kicked off Summer 2013 with a $174.1M opening weekend which ranked 2nd all-time behind last year’s The Avengers with $207.4M) That wildly overperforms Man Of Steel‘s pre-release tracking which has ranged from Warner Bros’ lowball $80sM aimed a managing expectations to rival studio projections around $95M-$100M.

So 115 plus the 12 million Wal-mart premiere night. Not too shabby at all. BEST June opening ever (maybe, depending on final numbers)

Saying that 120mil or more opening weekend is nothing special because of 3D ticket prices is pure b.s. That's a great opening and it's an especially great opening for a reboot coming only 7 years after the last tepidly received film. I know some didn't like it but lets not re-write history. As for the legs, if it does 120-150mil super long legs don't matter at that point. As long as it doesn't have Hulk style drops I'm getting a sequel asap.

And Furious 6 is having the legs of it's last two films so I don't know what bringing that up has to do with anything. People were acting like Captain America was dead because of it's 61% drop and yet it sold better than Thor on DVD and they are filming a sequel right now and same with Hunger Games. It had mostly good word of mouth and better reviews than MOS and it still dropped 60% because it was frontloaded as these films are now or days.

So 115 plus the 12 million Wal-mart premiere night. Not too shabby at all. BEST June opening ever (maybe, depending on final numbers)

Looking for at least two records by weekend's end.
Highest opening reboot
Highest june opening.

With a possible highest grossing reboot domestically and possibly intl.

The number this weekend means little. 3D prices, IMAX. Hell, Fast and Furious is pulling in these kinds of numbers. It's all about the drop off in the following week. If it doesn't hold, and it probably won't hold strong given this WoM, it's lukewarm, tepid, whatever adjective you want to throw in there. I'll just stick with 'meh'.

And just think, a few days ago when the Rains of Castamere these was playing on repeat around here, people couldn't shut up about how important opening numbers were.:whatever:

Now I'm hearing they mean little...
meh, superman welcomes all challenges and challengers.

The hate is strong in this one.

That's not even a real post because he obviously knows nothing about the box office and is blinded by hate. Over 100mil means great opening weekend. Period.

I hate Transformers but I'm not going to deny that it pulls in huge box office numbers.

world war z is starting to look like the sleeper hit of the summer..................and maybe monsters university.

It was foolish for people to underestimate brad after money ball

Man of steel will be going against 2 potential 100 million dollar openings.

No way WWZ is opening over $100M.

No way WWZ is opening over $100M.

Exactly. The ONLY real competition next week is Monsters University. WWZ is going to perform like I AM LEGEND, perhaps slightly less due to Will Smith's star power. And that opened to only 77 mil. I'm seeing less than 77 mil, between 70 and 77 potentially best case scenario. Tonally they look and seem to be going towards the same audience.

please movie gods, let this movie get huge BO numbers, at least big enough to guarantee a sequel :bow:

Exactly. The ONLY real competition next week is Monsters University. WWZ is going to perform like I AM LEGEND, perhaps slightly less due to Will Smith's star power. And that opened to only 77 mil. I'm seeing less than 77 mil, between 70 and 77 potentially best case scenario. Tonally they look and seem to be going towards the same audience.

Brad pitt is a bigger box office draw than will smith.............Will smith value is higher because hand picks his hits.

If the walking dead and warm bodies are any indication, maybe we're in the middle of a zombie craze/fad.

Last edited:
That's not even a real post because he obviously knows nothing about the box office and is blinded by hate. Over 100mil means great opening weekend. Period.

I hate Transformers but I'm not going to deny that it pulls in huge box office numbers.

Word :word:

It's looking pretty likely that this is going to make enough to warrant a sequel.

world war z is starting to look like the sleeper hit of the summer..................and maybe monsters university.

So the industry was dividedly unsure if the most recognized superhero around(and nolan) are going to make a 100 but it's a given that Brad Pitt in fresh property is? In a packed weekend no less?

And doesn't pixar only have one film that's opened to 100mill?

I'd be surprised.

So the industry was dividedly unsure if the most recognized superhero around(and nolan) are going to make a 100 but it's a given that Brad Pitt in fresh property is? In a packed weekend no less?

And doesn't pixar only have one film that's opened to 100mill?

I'd be surprised.

You and this entire forum will be.

It's amazing everyone is underestimating wwz.

Last edited:

No freaking way is WWZ making 100 million nor is MU. WWZ crappy CGI makes me chuckle everytime I see one of it's TV spots. And Brad Pitt YUCK never got his appeal.

I think it may do Amazing Spiderman numbers domestically, but not as well as A.S. overseas.

please movie gods, let this movie get huge BO numbers, at least big enough to guarantee a sequel :bow:

"D O N E !!" - The Movie Gods

Seriously, if these numbers hold up, it gets to at least 300 domestically. Returns did 191 overseas, and given 3D, the huge increase in foreign box office revenue, and the fact that Man of Steel is WAY more exciting and action-packed, I think we can expect that number to at least double. That would put it over 700, couple that with the huge merchandising success and it's a done deal. How fitting that Man of Steel opens with Kal-El's birth. The movie represents the birth of the DC Universe. This is gonna be a wild ride. :woot:

I never thought it was doing TASM numbers overseas and still don't. I say 350-375mil at best overseas.

Unless it would have made only 50 or 60 mill, then we would have never heard the end of it.
I feel your pain tho. Thor left me feeling the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"