Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mojo saying if next weekend we see the same kind of openings in the major markets as we saw this weekend, the international growth could be above $500mil. That would be pretty amazing. Especially considering the domestic total should easily cross #250mil now.

Mojo saying if next weekend we see the same kind of openings in the major markets as we saw this weekend, the international growth could be above $500mil. That would be pretty amazing. Especially considering the domestic total should easily cross #250mil now.

I would love that. The more MOS becomes a big success, the happier I am and the more likely chance we'll get a sequel and a DCCU. :woot:

what make the international number jump that huge?

Cause there are many major markets left to be opened such as China.

what make the international number jump that huge?
They haven't opened in most of the major markets yet. If we see the same high numbers relative to the market, this could be huge.

Latest estimate for MOS's Sunday is $36-$36.5 million, essentially making it the same as Saturday. :word:

Latest estimate for MOS's Sunday is $36-$36.5 million, essentially making it the same as Saturday. :word:
i thought it's an 18% increase, in the earlier said.

18% increase in matinees not the whole day. So the business at night decreased but during the day negated that.

I was having this conversation earlier with something and I was trying to take all funding into account.

Firstly, I believe what I read said that the budget for the film was $225.

- MOS domestic was 125.
- MOS international = 70.
- Merchandise = 170.

Total: a guesstimate of $350+

I don't know what the exact numbers were marketing/merchandise wise, but my guess is that WB has essentially covered all of their costs and guess what, it's been out for three and a half days.

That isn't even mentioning the fact that:

- It has yet to open in MAJOR markets such as China and I believe our friends on the barbie as well.
- I went with two people to see it, who aren't even Superman fans, and they both walked out and said "I'm buying that immediately." I am aware that DVD/BR sales are never extraordinary, but each one does cost more than a movie ticket.

Essentially, this movie is already making pure profit for WB and it still has at least a month in theaters if not more, along with merchandise and of course the push for a home release.

Some of my figures and guesses might be a bit off but I think you are picking up what I'm putting down.

Well its not making pure profit now since they only get about half from domestic take and even less from international.

Has MOS opened in Japan yet? I want to see what the returns are there, seeing it's the home of DRAGON BALL Z and FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR. The fan culture may be even more primed for the kind of action in this film than we were.

Well its not making pure profit now since they only get about half from domestic take and even less from international.

Half of domestic is 65 and merchandise profit as of a couple of weeks ago is 170. That is 235-ish. They might still have a few costs to cover but as I said, even with some of my numbers being a bit off they're close to it.

Last edited:
Has MOS opened in Japan yet? I want to see what the returns are there, seeing it's the home of DRAGON BALL Z and FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR. The fan culture may be even more primed for the kind of action in this film than we were.

No, it opens in Japan August 30th.Poor guys gotta wait that long!

No, it opens in Japan August 30th.Poor guys gotta wait that long!
poor indeed. why almost 3 months later... the bootlegs could have already filled up the market.

Half of domestic is 65 and merchandise profit as of a couple of weeks ago is 170. That is 235-ish. They might still have a few costs to cover but as I said, even with some of my numbers being a bit off they're close to it.

Considering the advertising cost, we still have a while to go. You have to double your budget at the very least. The movie cost $225mil without advertising.

There's arguments about this every time. :funny: But in general, I think a movie is considered successful if it makes its budget back. There's always the DVD/BR sales and merchandising and TV rights down the line to make double the budget and all that jazz.

There's arguments about this every time. :funny: But in general, I think a movie is considered successful if it makes its budget back. There's always the DVD/BR sales and merchandising and TV rights down the line to make double the budget and all that jazz.

you are quite right, I dont get why everyone assumes a movie has to make its money back in the BO alone. I cant wait to see the sales for this when it comes out on Blu ray and DVD. I still think this movie will make its money back from the BO and WB is very happy with this movie. They never seemed happy with Returns from the get go and that was a problem. SR was never what WB wanted I believe and MOS gives them what they want and more

Wasn't SR one of, if not, the biggest home video release of 2006? I definitely see MOS being a monster on home video. Cannot wait for the Blu-Ray! :D

I personally don't see the need to debate financial semantics. It's doing well, it's going to continue to do well for the near future, and do well at the home release.

The point is that WB is going to be happy with their bottom line; however you want to break it down or look at it - and that, for Superman fans, is excellent news.

Wasn't SR one of, if not, the biggest home video release of 2006? I definitely see MOS being a monster on home video. Cannot wait for the Blu-Ray! :D

Returns was 78.5 mil DVD in '06. I can't seem to find the 2006 list but if it were 2007 that would have placed it around 24th. This was a Top 100 list though so certainly not horrible.

I personally don't see the need to debate financial semantics. It's doing well, it's going to continue to do well for the near future, and do well at the home release.

The point is that WB is going to be happy with their bottom line; however you want to break it down or look at it - and that, for Superman fans, is excellent news.

Returns was 78.5 mil DVD in '06. I can't seem to find the 2006 list but if it were 2007 that would have placed it around 24th. This was a Top 100 list though so certainly not horrible.

Ah, I see. For some reason, I thought it was the top home video release. Oh well, back to MOS. I'm just glad it's doing very well, the WOM has been great, and we're going to get another Superman franchise that can actually introduce other characters and actually build a DCCU.

Cause there are many major markets left to be opened such as China.

Don't forget like most of mainland europe, like Germany, France etc.
The movie comes out on june 20th and I will attend a preview screening a day early. Just two days... Yes... Cannot wait!

Ah, I see. For some reason, I thought it was the top home video release. Oh well, back to MOS. I'm just glad it's doing very well, the WOM has been great, and we're going to get another Superman franchise that can actually introduce other characters and actually build a DCCU.

I agree. Couldn't be more excited for the WOM. I took two ladies who knew jack-squat about him and left the movie texting their boyfriends in the parking lot to inform them they were going to be taking them this week.

And while SR might not have been tops, 75.8 isn't bad at all depending. There's been up years and down years. In the last five or so, it's hit 200 and it's hit 150, but it's also hit 60, and last year the best was 85. It just fluctuates. Let's just hope everyone that sees it decides to buy it for themselves and also buy someone else a copy for Christmas :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"