Marvel Now - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had such a kickass lineup so it's a shame the stories didn't represent that

Ugh, I hate Milligan's writing.

He thought it was a good idea to have Gambit sleep with Mystique as well as volunteer to become a horseman of Apocalypse and get super snot powers.

God what a terrible writer.

Yeah, I'm not going to fault him on one, insignificant X-Men run when on his best days he's on Moore, Gaiman, and old school Morrison levels.

Ugh, I hate Milligan's writing.

He thought it was a good idea to have Gambit sleep with Mystique as well as volunteer to become a horseman of Apocalypse and get super snot powers.

God what a terrible writer.
We try to pretend those stories don't exist. :waa:

Yes, Marvel's latest teaser that was really anything but has been officially revealed. Doop really is getting his own five-issue limited series starting in April called All-New Doop #1.

What's 'all-new' about Doop? (btw, if you have to ask who or what Doop is, you're probably on the wrong website, you're looking for Wikipedia) Well, let's start with what's old first - co-creator Peter Milligan is writing the series, and co-creator Mike Allred is doing covers. David Lafuente is handling interior art (so that's new!)

Lefuente told Marvel.com in the announcement interview that Doop is unique, "even in a universe inhabited by zillions of crazy characters like machine-gun dolphins and talking bombs." Milligan, meanwhile, said that Doop is "close to [his] heart, and probably several other organs to boot." The writer also noted the odd character's staying power, saying it's because Doop is "so hard to pin down or fully understand."

The story to All-New Doop will take place amidst the "Battle of the Atom" crossover from late 2013, with Doop's story taking place "in the margins" of that one, says Milligan. "though Doop seemed to play no part in the original Battle of the Atom, this story reveals the truth. And the truth is very surprising, in a very Doop kind of way." The future and past characters from that crossover will also appear in this story.

Lafuente promises lots of "strange" in the series, including the end of the first issue, and jsut seeing how Doop travels in and out of the story. While there are comedic moments, they come from the absurdist qualities of the character, though Milligan says his story is "deadly serious."

All-New Doop #1 hist shelves April, 2014.

doop1.jpg

doop_1interior.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/20000-yup-doop-is-getting-his-own-series-no-really.html

So this takes place during Battle of the Atom? That pretty much decides it for me. This book isn't even getting a flip through. Ugh.

Don't know what Battle of the Atom is, don't care what Battle of the Atom is (is it about two giant molecules battling it out cause that would be awesome), but I will be buying 10 copies of this.

Battle of the Atom was one of the worst X-men stories to come out of the last decade

He had such a kickass lineup so it's a shame the stories didn't represent that

Exactly...the lineup he was working with was fantastic, but his storytelling and use of said characters was sub-par to terrible to BWUH?

I can't speak for his writing in other areas, as I think the X run is my only exposure to it, but going by that I kind of dread to see his name on stuff.

The best thing to come out of his run for me was that he made me a Gambit fan. I cant explain it bc I know he didnt get the best writing there, but I left his run, being more interested in the character than before and this was coming from someone that previously hated him

I have been thinking recently... with the way Marvel has its sliding timeline, with certain things being fixed points (like Cap fighting in WWII), the amount of time Captain America was frozen will continue to increase (in the original Avengers comics, it was like 20 years, while in the Avengers movie, it was about 70 years).

That being said, does anyone else think that it is weird that, thinking realistically about how much Marvel lets their characters age, we are either at the point, or will be at the point soon, that all of our heroes, especially Captain America, weren't active during 9/11? I believe DC stayed away from mentioning that at all in their books, but wasn't the fallout of 9/11 a pretty big deal in Cap books for a while?

The best thing to come out of his run for me was that he made me a Gambit fan. I cant explain it bc I know he didnt get the best writing there, but I left his run, being more interested in the character than before and this was coming from someone that previously hated him

The only nice thing I can say about Milligan's run on X-Men is that they gave Gambit and Havok great looking costumes they should have kept longer than they had. There's literally nothing worth mentioning about his run. The whole things can be can be summarized with Iceman being a total dick for 30 issues. The only thing mildly-worth mentioning is the tension the team had (however overly-dramatic) while infected during that Golgotha arc.

so was it better or worse than Chuck Austen's run? I had the misfortune of reading that.

Comparable but I'll give the slight edge to Milligan. For one he didn't have an obsession with that stupid Annie so it was a plus

Chuck Austin introduced Juggernaut to the X-Men, and I loved him for it. And while I know I'm alone, I also liked the Draco. But honestly, a lot of his run was crap. Milligan's wasn't crap as much as it was just boring.

Though I will say this... Austin's run gets worse as time goes by while Milligan's has gotten better for me. I actually liked a good part of his run (Bizarre Love Triangle and Blood of Apocalypse specifically). I can safely say I liked it better than a lot of other runs post-Morrison. Yeah, there were crap parts (and Iceman being a punk is one of them), but overall I thought it was decent. And the art was almost always nice.

Milligan's X-Men run was ok. It started bleh and ended good.

Austen was terrible. He's responsible for a ton of bad comics during the mid 00's.

Wow I was just thinking yesterday that I wasn't surprised they hadn't relaunched the line as All New Ultimate "insert team name"

Who the heck is Bombshell?

Not sure who Bombshell is either.

On the plus side, at least Peter isn't hanging around a female clone of him while Johnny is hitting on this same female clone. It was all a bit skeevy feeling.

Bombshell's a character created in Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Peter Parker used to fight her and her mom, they were kind of comic relief villains, she's only 16 and after her mother was arrested she tried having a normal life, last time we saw her she was starting to become a superhero.

Bombshell has been hanging in Miles Spider-Man posse along side Spider-woman (a female clone of Peter Parker) and Cloak & Dagger.

Chuck Austin introduced Juggernaut to the X-Men, and I loved him for it. And while I know I'm alone, I also liked the Draco. But honestly, a lot of his run was crap. Milligan's wasn't crap as much as it was just boring.

Though I will say this... Austin's run gets worse as time goes by while Milligan's has gotten better for me. I actually liked a good part of his run (Bizarre Love Triangle and Blood of Apocalypse specifically). I can safely say I liked it better than a lot of other runs post-Morrison. Yeah, there were crap parts (and Iceman being a punk is one of them), but overall I thought it was decent. And the art was almost always nice.

Draco is what made me stop reading comics.

so was it better or worse than Chuck Austen's run? I had the misfortune of reading that.
If I had to choose between the two I'd probably....jump out a window.

I guess I'd pick Austen because Holy War was the first X-Men story I ever read and I liked what he did with Juggernaut and Sammie.

Holy War had one of the best opening scenes of any comic ever. It then went down the route of mediocre to just plain crappy. I like the overall idea but not the execution.

And that story killed Skin. :( I still hate that.

Come to think of it, I kinda liked a lot of the later arcs of Austen's run. She Lies With Angels, the two part stories in X-Men and Uncanny X-Men following Morrison's run (one featuring Xavier/Wolverine/Polaris and the other featuring Cyclops/Emma/Beast), the Xorn arc, and the Brotherhood arc. Basically, when Larocca came on as artist, his stories suddenly got better. I liked a lot of his stuff prior to that, but I can also see the absurdity in most of it. His character's were written crappie a lot of times, and the execution of the stories were often underwhelming, but his ideas were usually decent.

Last edited:
The best thing Austen did was write Warren as leader. He was quite effective in that role and I loved that he followed through with the building blocks Casey left there. I had high hopes when it looked as if he was adding M to the lineup but she only stayed one arc. I liked that he got Marvel to finally remember that Havok existed but hate what he did there and with Polaris, turning her into a complete psycho, but I guess at least she had a personality, something she lacked when Milligan and Brubaker wrote her. I know people liked it but I hated Juggernaut as an X-man and Sammy fishboy around Both got way too much focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"