Marvel Now - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing Austen did was write Warren as leader. He was quite effective in that role and I loved that he followed through with the building blocks Casey left there. I had high hopes when it looked as if he was adding M to the lineup but she only stayed one arc. I liked that he got Marvel to finally remember that Havok existed but hate what he did there and with Polaris, turning her into a complete psycho, but I guess at least she had a personality, something she lacked when Milligan and Brubaker wrote her. I know people liked it but I hated Juggernaut as an X-man and Sammy fishboy around Both got way too much focus

and then Warren had sex with an under aged minor in front of her family.

I loved Juggernaut and Sammy. I thought they were phenomenal, and I HATED that Carey undid that with a stupid stand alone story. That was the one thing that I feel Austen did right.

Other than that, I also liked that he brought Havok back from the Mutant X world, but hated that he didn't have Havok remember it at all... and he still doesn't. And bringing Polaris into the title was great until he made her psycho. I get why (Genosha), but I never liked it. And Annie/Carter added nothing to the book but was the focus for far too long.

And while he wrote Warren as a good leader, I hated that he made Nightcrawler out to be a bad one. He'd already proven himself a good leader in the past. Austen's handling of him was frustrating. Cyclops chastising him during Holy War was frustrating.

The thing I probably disliked the most, however, was his pairing Angel and Husk together. It just felt very strange due to their ages. Dominate Species wasn't a very good arc to begin with, and that sure didn't help. I liked She Lies With Angels overall, but not because of them. I liked Josh/Jay Guthrie's story. When did their relationship end anyway? I can't recall. I know they were together when House of M hit during Claremont's Excalibur run. Beyond that I don't remember.

and then Warren had sex with an under aged minor in front of her family.

You know, I'm fairly certain that was one of those things that is always mentioned but never happened. They made out in the air, but that was all that was implied. Anything beyond that was reader-added. Weird still, but not as bad as people make it up to be.

I loved Juggernaut and Sammy. I thought they were phenomenal, and I HATED that Carey undid that with a stupid stand alone story. That was the one thing that I feel Austen did right.
Me, too. I like my bad guys a little good and their interaction humanized Juggernaut to me in a way that no one else ever did. I was sad to see this undone as well.

Blah. Too many villains were becoming heroes in the last decade and that was one of the first to get the ball rolling. Thank god it was undone. The X-men kept losing villains so the writers went and made heroes villains to compensate :(

You know, I'm fairly certain that was one of those things that is always mentioned but never happened. They made out in the air, but that was all that was implied. Anything beyond that was reader-added. Weird still, but not as bad as people make it up to be.
Agreed. I think fans blew that one way out of proportion. Also she wasnt underaged. She was 17 when Gen X started and was 19 by the time she joined the X-men and dated a 30-31 year old Warren. They were seperated by roughly a decade. I didnt think it was that bad.

Last edited:
I am happy with the continuation of the Ultimate Universe - I was worried they were going to jettison it-all though I am not fond of the "All New" title. That half of the title is redundant and sounds like a sticker slapped on an elementary school kid's lunch box.

I could be remembering it wrong, but didn't some clothing like fall from the sky or something, implying it was naked time?

I think that at the time, Husk was probably in that 18-20 window, which is fine. Iceman was just giving Angel **** because of the obvious age difference. However, with the way Marvel seems to de-age people, I wouldn't be surprised if they mention something about Husk being 18-19 NOW.

Out of curiosity, how was the Juggernaut/Sammy thing "undone"?

I think they took off their shirts, but I'm fairly certain that was it.

As for Juggy/Sammy. Sammy died at the end of Austen's run, killed by Black Tom. Juggernaut stayed the heroic path, though he did become more gray area again after getting his Juggernaut powers back for a while. Still, he was mostly a good guy with some bad in him. Then Carey came alone and had him decide to just be bad again and started acting like the *****e he used to be. Xavier met up with him, he tried to kill Xavier (and succeeded) and was happy about that. Then he found out that none of that really happened because Xavier made the meeting in Juggy's brain, but the intent was there. Juggernaut acted in his head how he wanted to act in real life. He was happy being bad again, and Xavier put him in his place. It was stupid.

We knew it would happen, but spoilered just in case you didn't want to know!

http://www.newsarama.com/20019-official-amazing-spider-man-peter-parker-to-return.html

Man I love that top cover with the buildings on top. I'm guessing that's the variant.

Marcos Martin and Paolo Rivera are the 2 best Spidey cover artists ever.

I just don't get Ramos' appeal. They guy draws cartoonish glob monsters. He ruined Venom's look for God's sake. I'll eventually give Spidey a shot again I'm sure, but not until after Slott and Ramos head for other pastures.

I like Slott alot but Ramos.....I'll say no more...

Slott's too much of a link to post-OMD Spidey. Plus I don't really like his overall attitude toward fans who disagree with what he does in Spidey. Him and Wacker both. It just made me a little jaded toward ever trying his run again no matter how much praise it gets.

I like Slott. Even though he has made some story decisions I didn't like, he's a great writer, and one of the few that not only respect continuity, but uses it to enrich his stories even more.

Ramos on the other hand can go to the same cage of horrible artists along with Land. I wish Marvel would get rid of both of them.

I don't question his storytelling ability. His character depictions could use some work at times, but the actual storytelling is typically fantastic.

BAMF.jpg

Claremont??? You mean Marvel is going to not pay him to do nothing anymore?

Im excited to see Nightcrawler get his own title, but not sure how long it will last to be honest. I have dropping/having the marvel books i get canceled lately, but this will be one is a instant buy for me. My Marvel pull list in the last few months has gone from about 15 to 4 and I was considering dropping them all together but, I will hold off on that for now.

I am beyond shocked that Nightcrawler is only $2.99. Did Marvel somehow overlook that? It's just not their way. Still, the dollar less makes it a sure buy for me. That Magneto comic being $4, and Nightcrawler buying more of my interest, might just doom it to my "maybe not" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"