Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52816

Nightmare on Elm Street Relaunch Gets Its Director!
Source: Risky Business
February 11, 2009

The Hollywood Reporter's Risky Business Blog has gotten early word on who will be helming the Platinum Dunes remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street and it's none other than music video director Samuel Bayer, the man responsible for MTV's introduction to grunge in the form of Nirvana's award-winning "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video. No word on when production will start on the movie that was being scripted by Wesley Strick (Arachnophobia), but Bayer is also slated to helm the Platinum Dunes thriller Fiasco Heights according to the story, which you can read here.
Hmmm, interesting. Hopefully, he does well.

February 11, 2009

The Hollywood Reporter's Risky Business Blog has gotten early word on who will be helming the Platinum Dunes remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street and it's none other than music video director Samuel Bayer, the man responsible for MTV's introduction to grunge in the form of Nirvana's award-winning "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video. No word on when production will start on the movie that was being scripted by Wesley Strick (Arachnophobia), but Bayer is also slated to helm the Platinum Dunes thriller Fiasco Heights according to the story, which you can read here.

Wow! They didn't go with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Friday the 13th guy or Rob Zombie!?!

great_scott_400.png

Didn't see that coming.

I second that.

No reason, just .... I'm wondering why they chose him, and if he's going to picture what they want. Don't get me wrong, the guys' great..but it better have some sort of dirty dark feeling atmospher to it. I don't know. I wasn't expecting that out of no where. But whatever, I hope to hear more about this and see where it goes and what this guy has to say about what he plans on doing.

Wow! They didn't go with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Friday the 13th guy or Rob Zombie!?!

great_scott_400.png

Didn't see that coming.

That could be a good thing. Zombie and Nispel haven't impressed me.

Whoever replaces Englund has some big shoes to fill imo.

No Doubt about that I mean its easy to do a Remake aka Reboot with the Halloween and Friday the 13th because those Villains didn't talk. However with Freddy he pretty much set the tone with his voice. IMO if they were to pick anybody I don't know who could play Freddy except of course Robert England. I really hope the Billy Bob rumor isn't true he's not good for that role at all. maybe Daniel Day Lewis would do a good job who knows.

Englund will forever known as Freddy.

He has a dozen movies to prove it, while I think this new series will only last..2-3 movies.

Not that Sean Penn would ever do it, but I've always imagined him as a younger Freddy Kruger. He looks just about like a younger Robert Englund & would probably look just as good in the make-up.
His career might suffer from doing a role like this but he would probably deliver a damn good performance in the process.

While I'm not a fan of any of the Platinum Dunes remakes, I find their choice in director intriguing, considering the material he has to work with. If any of you have seen the videos for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Until it Sleeps", you'll know what I'm talking about. Both give off a very surreal, uneasy atmosphere that I think could work in favor of Freddy. I only hope this guy can direct something without music playing in the background, though.

nirvana was awesome.

the videos sam bayer made for the american idiot album were incredibly awesome.

most of his music videos are awesome.

this news is not awesome.

this is gonna be another cilche filled horror movie were all girls get naked and die, nobody has any character development, and then a awful tease for a sequel at the end.

cool he made music videos, but how about you have someone whos made a good movie before you let them remake a beloved classic? how can you just hand a music video director this?? this crap really pisses me off.

February 11, 2009

That kinda makes sense seeing as Marcus Nispel. (TCM and F13) Was a music video director aswell.

If anyone expected to get a big director attached. Then you were wrong. Bay and Co said the reasob behind PD was to get little to unknown directors to get there feet into the film business.

The Casting should be interesting now.

great_scott_400.png

Didn't see that coming.
Well, i'm kinda not surprised they didn't pick Nispel. I would have liked to see Jonathan Liesman give a try at it.

nirvana was awesome.

this is gonna be another cilche filled horror movie were all girls get naked and die, nobody has any character development, and then a awful tease for a sequel at the end.

cool he made music videos, but how about you have someone whos made a good movie before you let them remake a beloved classic? how can you just hand a music video director this?? this crap really pisses me off.
Since when has any of that ever happen in a NOES film? NOES isn't F13. I think PD is always close to the originals they remake.

nirvana was awesome.

Well sometimes people have to get their chance somewhere.

If you remember, Tony Scott was mainly a video/advert director before he did his first big movie which turned out to be Top Gun.

Maybe this guy could do something good. Most of his music videos have been quite memorable, so thats a good starting point.

Platinum Dunes is behind this? $10 says it sucks!

I 100% agree with that. I mean, to me Englund is Freddy and right now, I really don't see anyone that can take up his mantle. I'll still check it out and hope that whoever takes the place as Freddy will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"