Endgame Official Avengers: Endgame News & Speculation Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has more to do with actor availability and clarifying story points than any major script changes - but then the twist of Banner not changing back into the Hulk seems to have been added pretty late in the game in Infinity War [after the first trailer dropped and several toys were produced] so you never know...
This is the very first thing I thought of when I read they were doing re-shoots. The person who posted the news about reshoots and was worried that it's usually a bad sign has to remember something like this has never been done before so you can throw everything that's 'usual' out of the window. The magnitude of this movie and the amount of actors is unprecedented so I would suspect coordinating schedules for availability is probably the trickiest part. I don't know for sure, but w/Marvel's track record if they haven't earned the benefit of doubt by now, they never will. So i'm not concerned to hear this in the least bit.

I’ve been reading through things, and was wondering about something.

Since we know that they are reshooting the New York fight, I was wondering if during that fight Capt Marvel shows up to take out Thanos instead of Tony Stark going into the void with the Nuke. Leaving room for a new villain since.

Or they're just making a few prequels because they thought it served the story best?

Well I disagree that a prequel serves Black Widow's story best.

In general, prequels are best used sparingly. They're a hotbed for annoying retcons and potential inconsistencies.

Plus we've barely gotten any significant focus on Black Widow in the here and now. That should take priority.

Well I disagree that a prequel serves Black Widow's story best.

In general, prequels are best used sparingly. They're a hotbed for annoying retcons and potential inconsistencies.

Plus we've barely gotten any significant focus on Black Widow in the here and now. That should take priority.
Agreed - there's not much in a prequel that can't be shown in fleshed-out flashbacks or case files. It's not like Widow's backstory is a complete mystery. A weathered, combat-weary Natasha still coping with demons of her past would address both past and present.

The only logical reason IMO to go full-prequel is because Widow dies in Avengers 4.

I wonder if the reshoots have anything to do with the purchase of Fox. Could they be trying to squeeze in a Deadpool cameo?
LoL....there's no doubt in my mind, these reshoot has more to do with the Fox deal being close to complete & Fiege wanting to subtly set up the MCU for those Fox repatriated characters, w/o encroaching on the agreement not to do or mention any of these characters until deal completion...than a DP cameo...unless all parties involved, sign off on it.

Hoped with Cheadle doing re-shoots; it signifies WM has a significant role in this film.

If the reshoots are vfx or cgi related I would be a bit concerned. If it is just Cheadle and Ruffalo as Rhodey and Banner, nothing to worry about.

Agreed - there's not much in a prequel that can't be shown in fleshed-out flashbacks or case files. It's not like Widow's backstory is a complete mystery. A weathered, combat-weary Natasha still coping with demons of her past would address both past and present.

The only logical reason IMO to go full-prequel is because Widow dies in Avengers 4.

Good point. The Black Widow movie was one of the main reasons I assumed Black Widow would survive. Makes me wonder if Endgame is gonna be a complete slaughterfest for the OG Avengers...what with Cap's actor leaving and Tony seemingly no longer around in the Far From Home trailer.

Hopefully at least Thor and Hulk make it, so we can get a sequel to Ragnarok (or have them added to the GotG).

This is the very first thing I thought of when I read they were doing re-shoots. The person who posted the news about reshoots and was worried that it's usually a bad sign has to remember something like this has never been done before so you can throw everything that's 'usual' out of the window. The magnitude of this movie and the amount of actors is unprecedented so I would suspect coordinating schedules for availability is probably the trickiest part. I don't know for sure, but w/Marvel's track record if they haven't earned the benefit of doubt by now, they never will. So i'm not concerned to hear this in the least bit.

The reshoots for Infinity War spilled into January of 2018 and that movie turned out pretty well so I see no need to worry about these...

This is afaik typical for MCU films. Often they are "discovered" in the editing bay. Which is why Disney /Marvel bring in uncredited talents and do reshoots to help assemble their films in post. It's why there are sometimes late drastic changes. One example being Odin's death scene in Thor Ragnarok. They changed the setting, tone, and dialogue of that scene by doing reshoots.

This stigma of reshoots really needs to end. In this day and age when films are so often assembled in post rather than the script stage reshoots have become so common that they are the norm for blockbusters and not a guarantee of bad things. Or even a guarantee of good things. They just are. A normal typical part of the Hollywood filmmaking process.

And the Russos havent failed us once. Theyve delivered 3 really good top quality films. Especially after Infinity War, I'm willing to trust that they and Marvel have things under control.

I’ve been reading through things, and was wondering about something.

Since we know that they are reshooting the New York fight, I was wondering if during that fight Capt Marvel shows up to take out Thanos instead of Tony Stark going into the void with the Nuke. Leaving room for a new villain since.

Thanos wasn't involved in the Battle of New York. He wasn't even with the Chitauri armada in space. There's no way CM could defeat him there.

This is afaik typical for MCU films. Often they are "discovered" in the editing bay. Which is why Disney /Marvel bring in uncredited talents and do reshoots to help assemble their films in post. It's why there are sometimes late drastic changes. One example being Odin's death scene in Thor Ragnarok. They changed the setting, tone, and dialogue of that scene by doing reshoots.

This stigma of reshoots really needs to end. In this day and age when films are so often assembled in post rather than the script stage reshoots have become so common that they are the norm for blockbusters and not a guarantee of bad things. Or even a guarantee of good things. They just are. A normal typical part of the Hollywood filmmaking process.

And the Russos havent failed us once. Theyve delivered 3 really good top quality films. Especially after Infinity War, I'm willing to trust that they and Marvel have things under control.
Last-minute reshoots do have negative consequences for VFX work though. There was an Engadget article about how Black Panther's sketchy VFX was attributed to last-minute changes that got piled onto VFX workers. The lack of Hulk busting out of the Hulkbuster armor indicates a last-minute change that lead to the floating head VFX shot in IW.

While it might not impact the story, last-minute changes do impact the overall quality of the film, especially on VFX-intensive blockbusters. And it's entirely avoidable.

I think many of you are worrying about nothing...reshoots are just cover for post credit scene giving final farewell & memories to fans....nothing more, nothing less; and, a final departure for some actors.

All Marvel Studios films have reshoots included in their budgets and schedules. They could cover anything from pickups that were needed for vfx shots to redoing scenes or adding end credits, etc. The reshoots could be affected by actors' availability, as well. Actors with other commitments might not have been able to do reshoots until now.

The bottom line is that there's no reason for concern because reshoots are SOP for Marvel and most studios.

Last-minute reshoots do have negative consequences for VFX work though. There was an Engadget article about how Black Panther's sketchy VFX was attributed to last-minute changes that got piled onto VFX workers. The lack of Hulk busting out of the Hulkbuster armor indicates a last-minute change that lead to the floating head VFX shot in IW.

While it might not impact the story, last-minute changes do impact the overall quality of the film, especially on VFX-intensive blockbusters. And it's entirely avoidable.

It's not entirely avoidable. Not with projects of this scale. These are productions that involve tens of thousands of people and hundreds of days of work and an insane number of moving parts and an unimaginable number of potential complications. It's impossible to plan for everything. It's impossible to know exactly what's needed in a film until you get into post production and youre in the editing bay seeing how things actually function in the cut. Blockbuster productions are just too big and too hectic to entirely avoid reshoots and pickups every single time. That's why pickups and reshoots have become so common. Why they are budgeted for regardless of whether they are really needed. Nolan is afaik one of the few blockbuster directors that can consistently come in under budget and under time with no reshoots. But he's anal and OCD about his scripting and planning and the exception not the norm which is one of the reasons h'es so loved by WB and other studios. A good rule of thumb for cinema is the old war adage, "No plan or strategy survives first contact with the enemy." You can plan and plan and plan and that plan is going to fail you at some point because once you get into the trenches things become fluid and chaotic.

As for vfx, thats a minor concern. At least to me it is. Vfx issues used to bother me a lot more but with fantasy and sci fi films I accepted that nothing is going to look totally real. There will always be some obvious or questionable CGI somewhere. Just like in past decades model and matte backgrounds were sometimes obvious or sketchy. I tend to be harder on dramas and mundane films that have subpar cgi, but once the vfx count starts to climb into the thousands and the story involves high fantasy locations and elements I become a lot more forgiving. Admittedly tho Black Panther was edging towards my point of intolerance.

They are now called "additional photography".

If they are non-VFX shots this isn't a problem...If these are VFX intensive scenes being reshot then more floating heads could be heading our way.

Yeah. Captain Marvel's re-shoots happened at the end of November, so considering this is being released over a month and a half after that, these seem right on schedule.

^Wonder too if the success of the first one opened the purse strings some more or changed a few philosophies.

As for vfx, thats a minor concern. At least to me it is. Vfx issues used to bother me a lot more but with fantasy and sci fi films I accepted that nothing is going to look totally real. There will always be some obvious or questionable CGI somewhere. Just like in past decades model and matte backgrounds were sometimes obvious or sketchy. I tend to be harder on dramas and mundane films that have subpar cgi, but once the vfx count starts to climb into the thousands and the story involves high fantasy locations and elements I become a lot more forgiving. Admittedly tho Black Panther was edging towards my point of intolerance.
I care from the perspective of VFX workers bearing the brunt of the extra work for peanuts, and Hollywood studios reaping the rewards for subpar output.

Films are relying more and more on VFX work and studios are driving a race to the bottom.

Thanos wasn't involved in the Battle of New York. He wasn't even with the Chitauri armada in space. There's no way CM could defeat him there.

In the original timeline. Depending on if it's legitimately time-travel and if they go back further than NYC beforehand and change something, that poster's not wrong - theoretically at least Thanos could show up there if circumstances have changed the second time around and it's not playing out exactly the same way. If the Avengers have gone back in time and already met him sometime prior, he might just decide to show up here and handle things personally.

Less than 3 months to go.

Will they be using actors (that got dusted) to help promote the film?

And will we see film premieres in the same country (like IW)?

I imagine they'd still use the actors playing dusted characters to help promote the film since they've all got their respective legions of followers. After all, Vin Diesel just posted recently about fans being excited to see Endgame, even though Groot is currently gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"