Official Man of Steel Trailer(s) Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to IGN there will be no MoS spot. Unfortunately. :(

What's most notable is which films and studios will not have a presence at this year's Super Bowl. Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox have both opted to sit out the game, so that means no spots for Man of Steel or The Wolverine. Sony is also skipping the Super Bowl so no spots for Evil Dead and Elysium.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/29/what-film-ads-will-be-shown-during-super-bowl-xlvii

$4 million for 30 seconds, WB is saving dat money. :o

Wait, wait, wait.. so WB didn't put a 30 second spot of Man of Steel during America's biggest sporting event of the year that was going to be watched up & down the country as well as around the world?

That's a bold, bold move.. fair enough the trailer was attached to TDKR, but heck even Iron Man 3 had a spot & that film could sell itself after the success of The Avengers.

Missed opportunity to get some much needed publicity for such an American icon during a highly American sporting event.

As disappointed as I am at their decision, I think I understand it. I honestly believe if MoS was getting released in May or sooner, they'd have done a spot. I just think they built the marketing up slowly, and don't want it to peak too soon - they don't want word of mouth and anticipation to hit full stride too early.

At 4 and half months to go, they obviously know there's still plenty of time to get people excited about this. Their next trailer won't have to be a $4 million 30 second spot, released at the same time as a bunch of other films, sharing the lime light. It'll be our biggest and best look at what the film is about, and the general audiences interests will sky rocket just at the right moment.

I honestly think the Super Bowl will be the last time were able to say 'what a missed opportunity by WB.' Soon the gloves will come off and this film will turn into the unstoppable juggernaut we want it to be.

They didn't have a Superbowl trailer for Green Lantern either. At some point a couple of years ago a few movie studios decided that superbowl spots weren't worth it. WB was one of them. And I can understand, because it's stupidly expensive and 30 seconds worth of footage isn't enough to build the proper tension required to make the money shots work.

And a film's success doesn't ride or die on a $4 million 30 second TV spot.

Superbowl??? What power it has?

Yeah, I don't think Superbowl ads are that effective especially for movies. The public has a short attention span as it is.

JAK®;25123839 said:
They didn't have a Superbowl trailer for Green Lantern either. At some point a couple of years ago a few movie studios decided that superbowl spots weren't worth it. WB was one of them. And I can understand, because it's stupidly expensive and 30 seconds worth of footage isn't enough to build the proper tension required to make the money shots work.

I can see it, especially if they're already planning to spam MoS ads in the months ahead. Wonder how much regular airtime they can get for the $4 mill they saved?

Well, I can say that having watched the Superbowl in a crowded Club full of people that everyone exploded and clapped when the Iron 3 trailer was shown. Not a scientific for the country to be sure but that's kind, but a reaction like that to part 3 of a francise makes me doubt that the whole "Super Bowl doesn't matter" rational is totally sound.

I think it was a missed opprotunity . I can understand the cost arguement, but at the end of the day , you can't cut corners when you're trying to promote a film like MOS which is expensive as hell anyway. You gotta build hype for it and you can't assume people will just jump on board because its Superman. The Superbowl was a good shot at drawing attention and getting people curious but, what's done is done.

And a film's success doesn't ride or die on a $4 million 30 second TV spot.

It certainly generates buzz for people who don't go to movies often. Like that BB super bowl spot WB shelled out for back in early 2005.

The SB spot got people talking. And a decent enough opening weekend resulted in a very leggy run thanks to stellar WOM.

As disappointed as I am at their decision, I think I understand it. I honestly believe if MoS was getting released in May or sooner, they'd have done a spot. I just think they built the marketing up slowly, and don't want it to peak too soon - they don't want word of mouth and anticipation to hit full stride too early.

At 4 and half months to go, they obviously know there's still plenty of time to get people excited about this. Their next trailer won't have to be a $4 million 30 second spot, released at the same time as a bunch of other films, sharing the lime light. It'll be our biggest and best look at what the film is about, and the general audiences interests will sky rocket just at the right moment.

I honestly think the Super Bowl will be the last time were able to say 'what a missed opportunity by WB.' Soon the gloves will come off and this film will turn into the unstoppable juggernaut we want it to be.

:up:

Well, I can say that having watched the Superbowl in a crowded Club full of people that everyone exploded and clapped when the Iron 3 trailer was shown. Not a scientific for the country to be sure but that's kind, but a reaction like that to part 3 of a francise makes me doubt that the whole "Super Bowl doesn't matter" rational is totally sound.

I think it was a missed opprotunity . I can understand the cost arguement, but at the end of the day , you can't cut corners when you're trying to promote a film like MOS which is expensive as hell anyway. You gotta build hype for it and you can't assume people will just jump on board because its Superman. The Superbowl was a good shot at drawing attention and getting people curious but, what's done is done.
Obviously there are differing schools of thought among the studios. It was news in 2011 that WB and Sony were going to opt out of showing trailers at the Superbowl. So far they've continued to opt out. Other studios seem to think differently.

Highest rated Super Bowl broadcast in history.

Way to drop the ball, WB.

It certainly generates buzz for people who don't go to movies often. Like that BB super bowl spot WB shelled out for back in early 2005.

The SB spot got people talking. And a decent enough opening weekend resulted in a very leggy run thanks to stellar WOM.

It's not the only time people will be exposed to MOS. TV spots closer to the film's release will create buzz too and for a lower price. Thus, WB's people don't see much need in spending that much money for one TV spot. At some point someone(s) at WB figured it really isn't worth it to make a Super Bowl spot and thus, for now, they don't bother releasing one for any of their films.

That was a great trailer for only 30 secs!

WB should've just paid Cavill to do this: [YT]fp_gRLg2P_A[/YT]

Highest rated Super Bowl broadcast in history.

Way to drop the ball, WB.

Lol. It's funny bc as soon as we found out that MOS was going to skip it, I knew this was going to happen.

Irony of it all is, at the end of the day, the interest it would have sparked would have the internet buzzing with free press and free advertising (Internet news front pages and repeats on local news, so on and so forth) and millions more hits from the unfamiliar on Youtube and other video upload websites. Which would have made up for the $4mil they would have spent on a legit 30 sec commercial.

Now they have to pay for all the extra advertising and that will come out to more then $4 to reach those same groups of people.

*Not to mention that the Super Bowl is broadcast all over the world. According to the NFL, Super Bowl XLI was broadcast to 232 countries and territories worldwide in 34 different languages. This was 6 years ago.

Last edited:
I think it's a missed opportunity but as someone said most people don't know a films coming out until a month or even a few weeks before its out.

As much as it would have been annoying, WBs could have just edited 30 seconds out of the trailer just to put something out there at Superbowl.

I think it's a missed opportunity but as someone said most people don't know a films coming out until a month or even a few weeks before its out.

As much as it would have been annoying, WBs could have just edited 30 seconds out of the trailer just to put something out there at Superbowl.

Yeah, 30 second commercial wouldn't have hurt. I'm wasn't even expecting to see a full trailer, just something. I even heard people curious about Lone Ranger , so its not like it a Super bowl spot has zero effect.

Its a better launching pad to create buzz at least and to get people talking and interested, and Superman is gonna need it . I don't think its a guaranteed blockbuster like The Dark Knight or Ironman films.

The Superbowl is typically the highest viewed television broadcast of the year here in the states so having a spot makes sense. BUT...having said that I think when it comes to a character like Superman a Superbowl spot isn't really needed. Something like The Lone Ranger benefits more.

The Superbowl is typically the highest viewed television broadcast of the year here in the states so having a spot makes sense. BUT...having said that I think when it comes to a character like Superman a Superbowl spot isn't really needed. Something like The Lone Ranger benefits more.

I must have missed The Lone Ranger spot....and I watched the entire Super Bowl

Originally Posted by Greeneyes
Unconfirmed news,the third MOS trailer is set to show in early to mid April according to comicbooketc,and advance tickets available from May

^^^^^^
WB's is cheap when it comes to not having a MOS SB spot. A silly move.

Meh. Trailer #3 should be in March with Oz and then that Trailer can be shown with other March films and with Oblivion in April.

Then show a new kick ass Traile in May with IM3, Star Trek and Gatsby.

The viral needs to get going this month also.

The marketing for MOS needs to start picking up steam....seriously. Toys and action figures? Blah....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"