Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything except the sandpaper-rough CGI looks good. I love the way Smaug moves in a looming, serpentine way. Mirkwood looks better than Lothlorien did- less on-the-nose use of white light.

This movie has been in post for a while the cg should look better

Just compare the tactile feel and texture of the minas tirith model to any number of the cgi locations in this trailer. Heck look at the first ROTK trailer and tell me if any of those sets looked as video gamey as the locations in this trailer do. It doesn't matter if this film isn't finished. The first three films never looked like this even in an unfinished state.

The designs are beautiful, but the over abundance of cgi in this trilogy is irritating.

This is coming out on December, and the CG is fine anyway, nothing shocking, a lot of the movie is shot on greenscreen, that's how it is. The Hobbit AUJ has great CG work, there are a couple of shots here and there in the chase sequence with Radagast that are a miss, but overall, it's some great work.

Cinematography looks gorgeous here, I think there are still quite a few people who have a problem with digital, it looks flatter than film, but the colors are fantastic, and Lesnie is a master at what he does.

The CG locations in the trailer look great, seriously, what the hell.

Until I see more of Smaug, Drogon is the more intimidating dragon. Hoping they put Bolg front and center in this film.

The digital isn't the problem. Its the cinematography. Its flat and framed like you would frame a stage play. This is evident in a couple shots in the trailer and in AUJ as well. Actually Jackson talked about this a few times before AUJ came out and gave his reasons for it being that way.

Just reposting the trailer link for those that missed it (and since we're in a new thread):

[YT]fnaojlfdUbs[/YT]

As for the CGI? At the moment I'm not concerned. There's still 6 months to go, and I'd be shocked if they didn't work on polishing and refining it right up until the last moment they can. I was fine with most of the CGI in AUJ (the only part I had any real issue with was during Radagast/Warg chase scene). So if - in the end - the CGI is on par with what was in AUJ - I'll be a happy camper.

Just my opinion, though :)

Last edited:
Just compare the tactile feel and texture of the minas tirith model to any number of the cgi locations in this trailer. Heck look at the first ROTK trailer and tell me if any of those sets looked as video gamey as the locations in this trailer do. It doesn't matter if this film isn't finished. The first three films never looked like this even in an unfinished state.

The designs are beautiful, but the over abundance of cgi in this trilogy is irritating.
Did they use miniature models for the settings in this like they did for LOTR or is it all CGI?

The bear and the dragon both looked pretty bad. And while I know its early, Beorn especially looks just as bad as I expected given the quality of other furred animals in the first film.

The white orc (Azog? Drawing a blank on the name) looks as good as ever but the animals in these films, be it the wargs, the rabbits or even the moose look quite bad. Its as if Weta forgot how to make hair or something.

Really enjoyed the first one and I'll probably enjoy this one too but I will agree that some of the CGI looks a tad bit dodgy. The framing as someone mentioned is also a bit questionable.

Anyone who saw the first Hobbit in 48fps still planning on seeing this one in that format?

I definitely won't be. The frame rate just exacerbated many of the other problems I had with the film's overall aesthetic. Also I have to drive out a bit of a ways to see it in that format.

I doubt I'll even see the next film in 3d.

How about some more Tauriel/Evangeline avatars please?:hrt:

I liked it. I didn't like the first close-up shot of Lee Pace. Bad greenscreen composition (so far)

Tauriel seems like they really were jonsing to have an elf warrior chick after making up all the stuff for Arwen that they cut out so they just wholesale added their fan fiction character this time.

One question: was it really necessary to have a closeup of Thranduil's mad eyebrows?

He seems to be a lost brother of the White Queen:

Anyone who saw the first Hobbit in 48fps still planning on seeing this one in that format?
*raises hand* We first saw AUJ in 2D 24FPS (and loved it) and then me and my sister decided to go again the next week and see it in 3D HFR just to see if the hype was worth it... we loved it even more with the HFR.

So going forward with both DoS and TaBA we'll see them right off the bat in the 3D HFR and probably won't bother with the lower frame rate in the theaters at all.

One question: was it really necessary to have a closeup of Thranduil's mad eyebrows?

He seems to be a lost brother of the White Queen:

[YT]FDHvpwKGIlE[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"