Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - Part 18

Did you not watch the video? It sounds like you're just rambling right now.

Yes, I've watched the Appendices for all 3 Hobbit films, and while the lack of prep time did create a situation where Peter felt overwhelmed in bringing the story to the screen, he did in fact know exactly what he was filming and how it was meant to fit together narratively at the time, at least for the most part.

When you take things out of context, it becomes easy to sit and throw stones and act as if the films were just thrown together on the fly, even though the reality of the situation is that such was not the case at all

Watched the EE today, loved it, personally I have liked the movies we got. They have some issues and yes we're overlong in the end, but I would rather a movie be too long than too short personally. I love the way Thorin's arc was done, and personally I liked Bilbo's as well, though I can see why some wouldn't. As of was an awesome bad guy and while I was sad Thorin died at the end, I am also glad Azog was killed by him.

Overall though this trilogy got so much right for me and I think the way it ends transitions into the LOTR trilogy perfectly. The EE adds lot of great stuff for BOTFA, I recommend it to people who liked the theatrical cut.

Wonder if any fan cuts will emerge condensing this into a more manageable format? I'd like to try something like that myself but starting with a massive trilogy doesn't see wise.

Check this place out http://www.fanedit.org/

I haven't been on there for a little bit, but they have done several well received edits of TLOTR so I'm pretty sure they will do the Hobbit. I worked with people on this site several years ago and the best DOC SAVAGE edit was made there.

So my Blu-Ray (plus figurine) ended up arriving over the weekend from Amazon (we won't get into the unhelpful customer service guy that I dealt with last week).

Watched a lot of the Appendices features - though not all (I still have some stuff on the last disc to watch). And watched the movie. I'm pretty happy with the extended edition... I do kind of wish, though, that the scene between Gandalf and Thranduil (where Gandalf points out that Thranduil's wife left him more than just jewels - that she also left him a son and raised the question of which would she have preferred him to value more) had been put into the extended edition and it hadn't remained on the cutting room floor. But it does feel like Ian's acting might be a tad off in that scene, so maybe that's why it still remained out.

I've also seen some people (not necessarily on this board) complain that there still wasn't any closure with Thranduil and the jewels in the EE and I realized, there doesn't need to be. I mean... does he get the jewels back? Probably. But the whole point of that last scene with him and Legolas is basically pointing out that the jewels aren't what's important to him anymore (this is kind of the reason I wish that scene I mentioned above had been kept in). The closure that he needed (not necessarily the closure he initially wanted) was him reconciling with his son.

Also the extended edition did remove one of my favorite reaction shots from Thranduil (the one that's currently my avatar - at least, I'm pretty sure it was removed - due to the Dwarves and Elves actually engaging in fighting before the Orc's show up), but *sigh* I guess I can live with that teeny tiny omission :oldrazz:

I just spent the last two days watching the Five Armies EE and all the features. The EE was a vast improvement of the film, such that I'm left with a bittersweet feeling of finality that the theatrical version never gave me. The appendices are 100% required viewing. Say what you will about adaptation accuracy, but these were extremely well made films (even under the constraints) and there was so much love put into making the films by all involved. While I would still place the Hobbot films behind LotR, they still hold a very special place in my heart and will remain one of my favorite franchises. Now excuse me while I go start up Fellowship of the Ring. I don't want Middle-Earth to end. :)

So my Blu-Ray (plus figurine) ended up arriving over the weekend from Amazon (we won't get into the unhelpful customer service guy that I dealt with last week).

Watched a lot of the Appendices features - though not all (I still have some stuff on the last disc to watch). And watched the movie. I'm pretty happy with the extended edition... I do kind of wish, though, that the scene between Gandalf and Thranduil (where Gandalf points out that Thranduil's wife left him more than just jewels - that she also left him a son and raised the question of which would she have preferred him to value more) had been put into the extended edition and it hadn't remained on the cutting room floor. But it does feel like Ian's acting might be a tad off in that scene, so maybe that's why it still remained out.

I've also seen some people (not necessarily on this board) complain that there still wasn't any closure with Thranduil and the jewels in the EE and I realized, there doesn't need to be. I mean... does he get the jewels back? Probably. But the whole point of that last scene with him and Legolas is basically pointing out that the jewels aren't what's important to him anymore (this is kind of the reason I wish that scene I mentioned above had been kept in). The closure that he needed (not necessarily the closure he initially wanted) was him reconciling with his son.

Also the extended edition did remove one of my favorite reaction shots from Thranduil (the one that's currently my avatar - at least, I'm pretty sure it was removed - due to the Dwarves and Elves actually engaging in fighting before the Orc's show up), but *sigh* I guess I can live with that teeny tiny omission :oldrazz:

His whole arc clicked more with me this time. I hadnt really considered his emotional arc in the film until Pete and Fran talked about it.

For who knows how long, he's been a sort of recluse mourning his dead wife and longing for what was lost and gone, and he tried to get the jewles back because they belonged to his wife, but when he saw Taurial's anguish over Kili he realized that he hadnt lost everything. Taurial wakes him up so to speak which is his closure.

He cant get his wife back and the necklace wont fill the hole in his heart, but he still has a son and thats the thing he needs to appreciate. He realizes this. Thats the conclusion to his arc so whether he gets the jewles back isnt relevant.

Personally I think its one of the better things added to the series. The idea of Legolas's mother being taken by the orcs and Thranduil falling into his grief and neglecting his son is sad.:(

Agree 100% with the above. Thranduil is one of my favorite characters in The Hobbit. Lee Pace played him perfectly and while his character arc isn't as obvious as more prominent characters, it is still deep and impactful.

Peter shot scenes of the dwarves walking through the ruins of Dale and it was shot on the fully built and detailed Dale set, but Jackson left it on the cutting room floor instead of putting it in DOS. :cmad:

They also shot scenes of Gandalf finding a palantir in Dol Guldor. He touches it and it shows him what would happen if Smaug and Sauron teamed up. He was supposed to see Smaug leading legions of orcs across a wasted and burning Middle Earth. Too bad that never made it into the film. I'd love to have seen that vision.

There is some concept art of the vision shown in the "Dol Guldor: The Hill of Sorcery" documentary on the second special features disc.

The palantir can still be seen in the film tho. You can see it when Galadriel is holding Gandalf at the base of that broken statue when Sauron is taunting Galadriel. The camera pulls back and the statue is holding the Palantir in its raised hand.

Also after the Battle of Dul Goldur Gandalf was supposed to pursue Sauron to the Sea of Rhûn in the Far East. On the edge of the dried up Sea he would see a massive rock structure out in the distance and at the top would be a Seeing Seat like the one at Amon Hen. Gandalf was going to chase Sauron up this giant rock structure. And at the top Sauron would disappear.

They shot some bits of Gandalf on horseback riding in pursuit of Sauron, but the rest was only prevised before being cut. The only shot that made it into the film is the one of Gandalf riding across a dried up plain. In the finished film he is heading to Erebor, but originally that was shot as part of his journey to Rhûn.

This stuff makes me wish Jackson would have just done two Hobbit films and a bridge film that would have been about Gandalf's investigation into the Necromancer and the White Councils siege of Dul Goldur and the pursuit of Sauron into the Far East.

Pete says in the Erebor documentary the he has warehouses full of art, props, and set pieces that he couldn't bear to see destroyed. The documentary shows a glimpse of one of the warehouses and it's just shelves loaded with bits and bobs and set pieces. He said there isn't any current plans to showcase the stuff but it could be done one day. That's so cool that he took the initiative to save all the hard work of the artists. He's like a steward protecting all the work of his crews.:)

Last edited:
His whole arc clicked more with me this time. I hadnt really considered his emotional arc in the film until Pete and Fran talked about it.

For who knows how long, he's been a sort of recluse mourning his dead wife and longing for what was lost and gone, and he tried to get the jewles back because they belonged to his wife, but when he saw Taurial's anguish over Kili he realized that he hadnt lost everything. Taurial wakes him up so to speak which is his closure.

He cant get his wife back and the necklace wont fill the hole in his heart, but he still has a son and thats the thing he needs to appreciate. He realizes this. Thats the conclusion to his arc so whether he gets the jewles back isnt relevant.

Personally I think its one of the better things added to the series. The idea of Legolas's mother being taken by the orcs and Thranduil falling into his grief and neglecting his son is sad.:(

Agreed, Thranduil's role clicked with me in the EE of the final film a lot more, going to watch the whole Hobbit trilogy this weekend.

Pete says in the Erebor documentary the he has warehouses full of art, props, and set pieces that he couldn't bear to see destroyed. The documentary shows a glimpse of one of the warehouses and it's just shelves loaded with bits and bobs and set pieces. He said there isn't any current plans to showcase the stuff but it could be done one day. That's so cool that he took the initiative to save all the hard work of the artists. He's like a steward protecting all the work of his crews.:)
The thing that got me with that is I really hope it won't all be in ONE PLACE all the time. I hope the stuff makes a tour

Agreed, Thranduil's role clicked with me in the EE of the final film a lot more, going to watch the whole Hobbit trilogy this weekend.
I just finished with all the extras and Film Commentary yesterday lol

After watching all three of the films this week, An Unexpected Journey is the film that really looks like it needed more time for editing and special effects.

In terms of special effects I wish Weta Digital had more than a few weeks to work on Azog and they were able to make the gold coins around Smaug's eye look more realistic. Too bad that the studio rushed the release of the first movie. There wasn't even there enough time for Peter to color grade the film.

Here's my list of things I wish Peter left out:

Ori's burping.

Gandalf's reaction from being questioned on how many dragons he’s killed.

The thunder battle.

The sequence where the goblin king confronts the company and Gandalf kills him and they all fall hundreds of feet without any of them even getting a scratch.

I'm not crazy about the musical numbers as well.

Last edited:
They also shot scenes of Gandalf finding a palantir in Dol Guldor. He touches it and it shows him what would happen if Smaug and Sauron teamed up. He was supposed to see Smaug leading legions of orcs across a wasted and burning Middle Earth. Too bad that never made it into the film. I'd love to have seen that vision.

There is some concept art of the vision shown in the "Dol Guldor: The Hill of Sorcery" documentary on the second special features disc.

The palantir can still be seen in the film tho. You can see it when Galadriel is holding Gandalf at the base of that broken statue when Sauron is taunting Galadriel. The camera pulls back and the statue is holding the Palantir in its raised hand.

Also after the Battle of Dul Goldur Gandalf was supposed to pursue Sauron to the Sea of Rhûn in the Far East. On the edge of the dried up Sea he would see a massive rock structure out in the distance and at the top would be a Seeing Seat like the one at Amon Hen. Gandalf was going to chase Sauron up this giant rock structure. And at the top Sauron would disappear.

They shot some bits of Gandalf on horseback riding in pursuit of Sauron, but the rest was only prevised before being cut. The only shot that made it into the film is the one of Gandalf riding across a dried up plain. In the finished film he is heading to Erebor, but originally that was shot as part of his journey to Rhûn.

This stuff makes me wish Jackson would have just done two Hobbit films and a bridge film that would have been about Gandalf's investigation into the Necromancer and the White Councils siege of Dul Goldur and the pursuit of Sauron into the Far East.

Yeah, that's one bit in the EE of DOS that got brought up that I'm shocked that even the EE of BOTFA didn't elaborate one: the alleged Smaug/Sauron alliance that Thrain mentions briefly to Gandalf. So I'm assuming it's meant to imply that Smaug's original invasion of Erebor WASN'T just because he wanted the gold; that in reality Sauron had Smaug attack and take over the mountain so that it'd be ready once Azog with his army arrived and then Smaug would be one of Sauron's lieutenants in conquering the rest of Middle-Earth. I'm shocked Jackson and company didn't explain this better by leaving the planter scene in.

On the other hand. I'm REALLY happy that the BOTFA EE revealed that Alfred gets killed off shortly after bailing on Bard in that dress during the battle. I hated how the Theatrical Cut just ends his scenes off there by implying he survives the whole ordeal and then presumably goes somewhere else to treat more people like ****. He was a greedy scumbag who deserved to be killed off, and it's a shame the TE left that last scene out.

I'm slacking, haven't been able to buy Five Armies extended blu yet. Get paid this week buttttt have to do Xmas shopping. Bleh.

this isnt Hobbit related, but it is Tolkien related:
i just bought the LOTR extended edition collector's set, but it doesnt have the original box it came in... does anyone know where i can acquire one of these boxes?

Got a gift card for Xmas just used it to buy some movies on Amazon. Finally grabbed the extended blu of Five Armies. Should be here by Friday next week :up:

Maybe check eBay for the empty DVD box?

And I've been watching the EE bonus features for TBotFA. This stuff is great and really makes me appreciate the movie more than I did before.

on my next paycheck, im probably going to buy the Hobbit trilogy, but im really hoping that they do some ultimate edition box set or something

I give props to Jackson admitting and being transparent with how these films were made and taking the responsibility to admit it was his fault. Most directors never do that, especially on a movie this size. It does explain a lot now.

Got a notification from Amazon my extended blu has shipped and will arrive tomorrow :word: But I probably won't get to watch it until the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"