Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
What have you got against Bofur?

hauj_2d-lenticular_bofur_dom.jpg

Bofur was cool. Loved the way he kept looking after Bilbo. He jerked him back into the middle of the group when Elrond came riding in, he looked for Bilbo on the mountain side, and he tried to get Bilbo to stay with the group so I hope to see this develop over the next two films. You know, despite the limited lines, and thin characterization I definitely got the sense that these guys look after each other and Bofur pretty much adopted Bilbo right into the group.

I was surprised to find that I liked Filli and Killi. I expecred to not like them, but they were funny and I hope to see more of them playing off of each other. They are brothers, correct?

I was even more surprised that Bifur wasnt used for comic relief, what with him only being able to speak in dwarvish and the axe chip buried in his head.

Last edited:
It was way too slow, by the time things actually started happening I just kind of wanted it to be over. Everything went on for just a bit too long, from the opening with old Bilbo to the flight on the Eagles at the very end....everything lasted longer than it should've. It needed a much faster pace.

I don't understand these kinds of complaints towards The Hobbit. Mainly because you could easily say The Fellowship of the Ring took awhile to get things going and all three LotR films had scenes that went on a bit too long at times. When it came to pacing, I felt this movie was the best out of the four.

I do agree with not really caring for the majority of the dwarves. There were just too many(I know that that's how it is in the book)so that there was no way they could have gotten any development or dialogue to flesh them out in one film. Maybe in the next films they might give a bit more focus on some of them.

I don't understand these kinds of complaints towards The Hobbit. Mainly because you could easily say The Fellowship of the Ring took awhile to get things going and all three LotR films had scenes that went on a bit too long at times. When it came to pacing, I felt this movie was the best out of the four.

I do agree with not really caring for the majority of the dwarves. There were just too many(I know that that's how it is in the book)so that there was no way they could have gotten any development or dialogue to flesh them out in one film. Maybe in the next films they might give a bit more focus on some of them.

I love FOTR but thw Hobbit dragged for me. The two have very different stories and pacing structures. This one starts off fairly leisurely. Whereas FOTR begins early with a sense of forboding and that time is already running out. That makes for a very different pace and experience.

I love FOTR but thw Hobbit dragged for me. The two have very different stories and pacing structures. This one starts off fairly leisurely. Whereas FOTR begins early with a sense of forboding and that time is already running out. That makes for a very different pace and experience.

I don't know. They both had a prologue explaining things that happened in the past then immediately spent a considerable amount of time in the Shire before any kind of adventure started. I'm not about to take a watch and time which film spent the most time in the Shire but I wasn't bothered by it in The Hobbit just like I wasn't bothered by it in FotR.

Finally got to see this,I think the film itself is amazing and am actually ok with the slow pacing for the most part,My main negative is with the CGI,A LOT of it was amazingly..bad and the ending scene literally made me cringe!!!!!

An 8.5/10 for me!

Last edited:
Finally got to see this,I think the film itself is amazing and am actually ok with the slow pacing for the most part,My main negative is with the CGI,A LOT of it was amazingly..bad and the ending scene literally made me crinch!!!!

An 8.5/10 for me!

The eagles rescuing them or Smaug?

Still on the fence about seeing this. It was one thing if the critics had mixed feelings but now that the word of mouth is also a little mixed i'm not sure the film may be worth it?

Trigger Warning, Criticism Ahead.

Fellowship took a little while to get going, but at least those parts were actually part of its story.

The Bag End scenes with Old Bilbo and Frodo at the beginning of this film were tacked on though they weren't that long seemed to drag due to being kind of stilted.

I liked that they brought Ian Holm back, but it really could have just been done with him writing and narrating, similar to the Galadriel voiceover from Fellowship.

Instead they spend time positioning the scenes within the context of Fellowship which wasn't really needed.

Fellowship took a little while to get going, but at least those parts were actually part of its story.

The Bag End scenes with Old Bilbo and Frodo at the beginning of this film were tacked on though they weren't that long seemed to drag due to being kind of stilted.

:funny: What's with the "trigger warning"?

The eagles rescuing them or Smaug?

Smaug,The eagles scene&effects were beautiful But the treasure&Smaug poping out andopening his eye was like a cut-scene from a video game,A LOT of the CGI looked right out of games But Smaug in the end was BAD

Still on the fence about seeing this. It was one thing if the critics had mixed feelings but now that the word of mouth is also a little mixed i'm not sure the film may be worth it?

I'm dumbfounded by the critical reaction. I really am.

It's a good film. See it.

Its not that big of a gamble many who have ended up liking this are people who had doubts. People who had too high expectations are the ones hating it.
That being the die hard book fans. If like movies and Film I think The Hobbit is more appealing. Because there are slight changes that seem to make Bilbo more useful which was great.

I say its not that big a gamble and you may like the film. I recommend this don't compare every moment to LOTR. Its not as good as them so except that but it does have humor and more fun and makes it in ways different kind of good fantasy film.

I liked that they brought Ian Holm back, but it really could have just been done with him writing and narrating, similar to the Galadriel voiceover from Fellowship.

Instead they spend time positioning the scenes within the context of Fellowship which wasn't really needed.
Seeing Ian Holm and his narration was best part of the movie. His voice was great over the happenings in the prolog scenes of the Fall of The King Under The Mountain.

:funny: What's with the "trigger warning"?

Just Hawk being another name for a donkey because I called him out and proved on the previous page that he told me - out of the blue - to "stuff it." I kind of think it's rather funny myself how worked up Hawk gets.

Smaug,The eagles scene&effects were beautiful But the treasure&Smaug poping out andopening his eye was like a cut-scene from a video game,A LOT of the CGI looked right out of games But Smaug in the end was BAD

There were some shots in the prologue that looked like that to me, especially the shot showing his tail disappearing into the Mountain, cringe.

Saw it yesterday. A great start to a (unnecessary) trilogy, but great nonetheless. I found it more enjoyable than the overly dragged out Two Towers, and Never-ending ROTK (which I both loved, don't get me wrong), but not on par with FOTR.

9/10

Bofur was cool. Loved the way he kept looking after Bilbo. He jerked him back into the middle of the group when Elrond came riding in, he looked for Bilbo on the mountain side, and he tried to get Bilbo to stay with the group so I hope to see this develop over the next two films. You know, despite the limited lines, and thin characterization I definitely got the sense that these guys look after each other and Bofur pretty much adopted Bilbo right into the group.

I was surprised to find that I liked Filli and Killi. I expecred to not like them, but they were funny and I hope to see more of them playing off of each other. They are brothers, correct?

I was even more surprised that Bifur wasnt used for comic relief, what with him only being able to speak in dwarvish and the axe chip buried in his head.

I agree with this post. :) I love Bofur. Balin. kili. Fili.

I agree also that FOTR is the best Film out of all the Middle Earth adaptations. Its probably because its was stunning epic and gave one of the best Prologs in film history.

Been reading the first chapter of The Hobbit and it is crazy how faithful Jackson was to the book. I mean pretty much every bit is in the movie.

One question, where was Thrain? He was in the first trailer, but nowhere in the film.

Just Hawk being another name for a donkey because I called him out and proved on the previous page that he told me - out of the blue - to "stuff it." I kind of think it's rather funny myself how worked up Hawk gets.

I did not tell you to stuff it. That conversation had absolutely not a damn thing to do with you.

And again, you're the one, along with a few others who take criticism of this film personally.

I really liked both Dwalin and Balin, not sure if that's right spelling.

I really liked both Dwalin and Balin, not sure if that's right spelling.

That's right.

I didnt realize Dwalin and Balin were brothers. Though maybe they made mention of this in the film and I missed it. I read it in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"