OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns - Part 1

Having the kid was not a good idea at all.

A superhero film is a snap shot of a superhero's legacy. Legacies are so large that they really need more than one move. Donner needed 2 films for the origin. Snyder seems to need 2 as well.

Having a kid really drives the story away from a superheroes journey and more closely family issues. For a series in the comic books. Or perhaps a television show. But for a film, especially one reintroducing Superman doesnt work.

Having the kid was not a good idea at all.

A superhero film is a snap shot of a superhero's legacy. Legacies are so large that they really need more than one move. Donner needed 2 films for the origin. Snyder seems to need 2 as well.

Having a kid really drives the story away from a superheroes journey and more closely family issues. For a series in the comic books. Or perhaps a television show. But for a film, especially one reintroducing Superman doesnt work.

I think a lot was in the works for the kid. The rumored sequel was supposedly going to have Brainiac take over him and Superman had to kill him. Its sounds bad on paper but I think it could have translated well onto the big screen.

I think a lot was in the works for the kid. The rumored sequel was supposedly going to have Brainiac take over him and Superman had to kill him. Its sounds bad on paper but I think it could have translated well onto the big screen.

It really, really wouldn't have.

The death of a child changes a person. You don't kill the child of Lois Lane and Superman, and you certainly don't have Superman being forced to kill him. Just no.

Yeah it could have been a good idea indeed. If people had given a chance to the project.
That said, and even if I do like SR pretty much, the child thing was... not a good idea. Maybe it was a good idea, but that needed a second film to truly be worth it... bad choice then. Although I understand their reasonning: what can affect Superman? a child, right, and the time that goes whithout him, right too.

What seems to me like a stupid behavior from all the omnipresent SR haters is the complain about the size of the hairs, how the hairs were cut (!) it was not "truly Superman", the color of the eyes, the size of the torso, the lengh of the cape, how high are the boots and of course the very best : the colors of the suit. All this stupidity, all this hate, all this *****ing crap from 2 grey cells haters, just to see it now, that nobody is complaining about MoS suit. *****ing dark suit indeed! Sometimes I can't even see the symbol and think they made it all black. Yet, none is really complaing about this!? I remember all the hate about people arguing how the suit does not define the man (meaning take away the red trunks), yet being so hateful about the color scheme of the SR suit. While MoS displayed such a goddamned dark suit. I fail to see the logic...

It sounds beyond terrible! !! Are Singer n his two sidekicks really that mad???!!!

Superman was forced to kill general zod has already created such an outcry. I can't imagine how gigantic the outcry would be if superman was forced to kill an innocent kid.

What a crap idea... make me hate them more!!!

Under the proposed script, whatever Brainiac does to him, ages the kid by 30 years .
So Superman would be killing his son but as an adult , not the same age he was in SR .

Last edited:
Under the proposed script, whatever Brainiac does to him, ages the kid by 30 years .
So Superman would be killing his son but as an adult , not the same age he was in SR .

It still wouldn’t make things any better if Superman were forced to kill his own son. It’s one thing if it’s General Zod, an actual villain, but another thing if it’s his own son. The relationship between Superman and Lois was already on the rocks due to his sudden 5 year absence and her engagement to Richard White, but things would have been beyond repairable between them if Superman had to take the life of their own child, regardless on how old he was.

That, and the fact that Superman, as a character, just wasn’t well established in “SR”. And for all the problems that MOS had, at least it was an entertaining film, which is something that I can’t say about SR in general.

I agree.
I was just clarifying specifics ,not saying it was a good idea .

I liked the idea of Jason but if Singer was going to do something so stupid as to have Superman kill his own child then I am even more happy that there wasn't a sequel. I don't care how you try to slice killing his son and the son of Lois is just something that would be impossible to forgive. I can imagine Lois herself becoming his enemy.

Beyond beyond beyond absurd! !!
I would rather to have superman get killed. N his son to replace him.
This absurdity is beyond any sane mind imagination!!!

It sounds beyond terrible! !! Are Singer n his two sidekicks really that mad???!!!

Superman was forced to kill general zod has already created such an outcry. I can't imagine how gigantic the outcry would be if superman was forced to kill an innocent kid.

What a crap idea... make me hate them more!!!

Yeah,That's following bad with worse.Glad that **** never saw the light of day.

I liked the idea of Jason but if Singer was going to do something so stupid as to have Superman kill his own child then I am even more happy that there wasn't a sequel. I don't care how you try to slice killing his son and the son of Lois is just something that would be impossible to forgive. I can imagine Lois herself becoming his enemy.
If you give Superman a son, you gotta make it interesting. The character of Jason was anything but engaging.

Beyond beyond beyond absurd! !!
I would rather to have superman get killed. N his son to replace him.
This absurdity is beyond any sane mind imagination!!!

Bryan Singer is terrible, I have zero confidence in any of his work. He just doesn't get what people find interesting

Bryan Singer is terrible, I have zero confidence in any of his work. He just doesn't get what people find interesting

He and his sidekicks are brain dead on superman story. The rest he / they might be ok. Well, WB loves brain dead.

... ... uh... Define "what people find interesting"?!? :huh: :huh: :rolleyes:

I don't think Singer is a terrible director at all; I mean he made acclaimed hits like "The Usual Suspects" and the first two X-Men films. Sure his recent films haven't been that great, but if you look at someone like Affleck, there's always the possibility that he can still make a great comeback someday, maybe with DOFP, but I just don't think he was right for Superman due to his love for the Donner Era.

Yeah I don't find Singer terrible, I'm not forgetting his past films and I still feel he is the reason for all the CBMs we have now.
He is just not good for Superman.

... ... uh... Define "what people find interesting"?!? :huh: :huh: :rolleyes:

The opposite of what he does

X-men - terrible
X-men 2 - slightly above terrible
SR - terrible

He doesn't belong with this genre.

Not one of those movies had any tension or emotional investment

X-men - terrible
SR - terrible

I think X-men was the first modern superhero movie that successfully brought back the superhero movie trend.

Xmen was good
X2 was great
I think people believe X3 would have been good if he was the one to direct it.

X-men - terrible
SR - terrible

Posing your opinion as facts. :down

Superman Returns was and is a very well made film. Plot/story wise ? Use of actors ? Entertainment value wise ? In those aspects, it falls quite flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"