Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I like Zimmer and own all of his soundtracks. And I would say that the MARVEL films have similarly lacked attaining one prized theme as well. Only there, it isn't going up against one of the best known soundtracks. You take away that Superman soundtrack however, all of us here who say while it's great and doesn't measure up? I doubt anyone would be saying that.

There will be a "theme" on the soundtrack. And it will be great and modern. The original Superman theme which was great is now a joke to me....it might be memorable, but it's NOT a nice thing to listen to - there's a difference.

There will be a "theme" on the soundtrack. And it will be great and modern. The original Superman theme which was great is now a joke to me....it might be memorable, but it's NOT a nice thing to listen to - there's a difference.

That is all up to personal opinion. As said, some people have liked what they've heard so far and some people have been underwhelmed by what they've heard so far. I'm not saying disliked because I don't think there is anyone on here that dislikes it. And that both views are equally valid. Just like your last sentence. Some on here might crucify you for saying that, I won't. I'm of the opinion that there is no truth other than truth doesn't exist - it's all subjective.

"This thing that I haven't heard is better/inferior to this thing that I have heard."

Which sums up everyone here.

As said, we're reviewing samples - we know we're reviewing samples, nobody has ever stated otherwise - so where's the gist of where this is going? Telling us we're reviewing samples? Nobody has ever stated otherwise. At this point telling everyone we're reviewing samples, when we know that - is basically spamming.

There is no theme present in the samples except for a possible build-up and as I've said since the beginning with that, "but it might be cut off" or "hopefully it is cut off." Thus, it's similarly a review of the samples. Thus the "cut off" meaning "there might be more." Which others have agreed upon. Right now it's underwhelming, thus for those of us with that view we have always said "hopefully it gets cleared up." Basically a 'cautiously hoping for the best' view one indicative of the samples nothing more, nothing less.

It's obvious by the trailer that there is more to the "theme" that what's in the sample. So unless you're totally oblivious to the music in the latest trailer, you're not being totally genuine by saying that you're only judging the "theme" by the samples that were just posted. Hiding behind "hopefully there is more" is a bit disingenuous because 99% of us have heard more....from the latest trailer.

It's one thing if you're to say that the "theme" isn't as memorable as Williams' which is totally a valid argument, but if you're going to make a statement such as that there's no recognizable theme then you better make it clear that you're judging the music ONLY BY THE SAMPLES that were just posted and NOTHING ELSE.

Is there a report that the trailer music is even in the film? Usually trailer music is just for the trailer. So far, due to the people asking, I'm guessing the music being in it is basically speculation.

I am actually surprised by how good most of the samples are. The only one that pissed me off was "Oil Rig"; it sounds too similar to the drumming in some of the Batman themes.

Anyone who thought there would be a full-blown theme is an idiot, by the way. That's simply not how Zimmer and most modern composers work nowadays.

Anyone who thought there would be a full-blown theme is an idiot, by the way. That's simply not how Zimmer and most modern composers work nowadays.

I'd say Batman has some sort of theme. Elfman did it with Spider-Man, though clearly not as memorable or just to Darth (unsure). Harry Potter had one. Hell, Fantastic Four had one - the films just weren't that great. As I've said before, hopefully the building tunes build up into an explanation point because then that would be the theme. It's somewhat hard to see due to the way they are lined up. But, as I've already stated -- if, and hopefully is, what Darth pointed out with three to four tracks is the theme then I can see that possibly working when expanded upon which it seems is just cut off.

I'd say the main difference is now a' days the theme is more built into the music whereas in the past it was often purely just a "march" or that seem purely solo.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd argue that Begins had more of an actual Batman theme than either sequel, and the MoS trailer music certainly sounds like a candidate for a Superman theme.

And the MoS trailer music certainly sounds like a candidate for a Superman theme.

If that's the theme, the trailer music? I'd be more than excited. I loved the piece of music. Just hoping it's not "trailer music" - made for trailers and for trailers thereafter to use it. A guarantee on that and I'd seriously be a happy camper.

Yeah, I'd argue that Begins had more of an actual Batman theme than either sequel, and the MoS trailer music certainly sounds like a candidate for a Superman theme.

Right now MOS sounds more like TDK to me. Imo, BB & TDKR (somewhat tied, but BB > TDKR) > TDK. TDK seemed to be more ambience while BB and TDKR seemed to be orchestral or those are just the key beats I recall.

Even if the exact track from the trailer isn't in the movie, you'd think something similar would still be in the score. Why would Zimmer come up with a track that's totally unrepresentative of anything in the movie?

Is there a report that the trailer music is even in the film? Usually trailer music is just for the trailer. So far, due to the people asking, I'm guessing the music being in it is basically speculation.

Hans Zimmer tweeted a link to the trailer as soon as it debuted and said, "Tell us what you think." Implies the music is his.

Also, the fact that we have already been told the MOS score uses tons of drums and some guitar motifs, both of which are present in the trailer music and in the score clips on Amazon... it's kinda common sense.

Wait, why didn't anyone call up James Newton Howard? If anyone can create genuinely good music without any gimmicks, it's him.

The DKR soundtrack was basically lifeless because of his absence.

Wait, why didn't anyone call up James Newton Howard? If anyone can create genuinely good music without any gimmicks, it's him.

The DKR soundtrack was basically lifeless because of his absence.

Have to disagree there, I thought the TDKR score was a big step up from TDK.

That said, I do generally love James Newton Howard's work.

A piece of advice....if you are getting nowhere fast....stop.

The petty arguing is getting nowhere fast.......so guess what I say to do about it.

Well, I think it depends on why he did it. Was it for the film or did Zach Snyder hear it and just like it and it was originally just meant to be sold as trailer music? It's rare that the music in the trailer winds up in the film, but with that said - it does happen. And that's hopefully the case here.

-----------

Due to the above, I'm cautiously optimistic but not going to get my hopes up. Hopefully it will be in it. But, due to the way trailer music usually works... I'm just hoping that it is and will wait for the official confirmation. It's rare, but it does happen.

----------

Here's an excellent example of an AMAZING song, or at least in my opinion that wasn't in the film 'Inception':

But, used in all the marketing campaigns.

----------

I wouldn't say TDKR -- that was more orchestral, but I would agree with that sentiment with TDK. I get the "crazy" vibe that it was going for and it worked well with the film. But some of the tracks aren't that great. That being said, others are.

Last edited:
Hans said it was from his demo piece of the score. So I doubt it will be in the film exactly as is. But he did say it would be on the soundtrack, so there's that.

TDKR was by far the worst soundtrack in the trilogy, in my opinion. Some of the tracks felt like the musical equivalent of being hit over the head by a hammer... repeatedly. Furthermore, even as an in-film experience it is an annoyance for me - the soundtrack is mixed way too loud over the dialogue in numerous places.

The best of the trilogy is TDK, especially with the Harvey Dent track, with its heartbreakingly beautiful final minutes (which are strangely absent from the film itself). TDK in general got the balance right. I dislike the Joker theme but I can skip that.

Hans said it was from his demo piece of the score. So I doubt it will be in the film exactly as is. But he did say it would be on the soundtrack, so there's that.

Cool cool. With all those asking if the trailer music was going to be in the film or not earlier, I was unsure on where things were with that.

----

I think I just rank TDKR over TDK because I didn't really like the ambience found in TDK with the Joker theme, but liked the take on Bane's theme and the chanting. Chanting typically gets to me for some reason. Even if it's as something simple as chanting "cookie!" over and over again lol (Rise of the Planet of the Apes reference).

Last edited:
"A Dark Knight" is still my favorite track of all of the Nolan Batscores, so that alone puts TDK's score above the other two for me. "Watch the World Burn," "Harvey Two-Face" and "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" also help.

Actually, I take back what I said about TDKR. I forgot about the epic track, "Why Do We Fall?"

I still stand by the idea that way too many tracks are recycled from the first two scores, however.

Can anyone confirm that Hans Zimmer is writing the score for MOS?

What do you mean by writing?

I might be wrong about this, so forgive me if I am, but this day and age usually composers always do both (write and conduct) and it's just the band songs that typically have someone outside of the band write it while the band itself plays. I don't think that's ever happened in movies that way, but I might be wrong. I'm not even sure if Hans Zimmer plays an instrument (or other composers for that matter, and if they do I think it's rare) they're more just the writers/conductors. If it's where the music goes in a film, I think that's all up to the director. A composer might write a song cue for one area of the film and the director might opt to use a different one and use that cue later on or earlier in the film.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back