Days of Future Past "Only have one more new character" in sequel says Vaughn

Angel's not in an X-Men uniform. He's in a white or grey long sleeve tee.

That's exactly what I saw too !

Also anyone remember Mystique's bob in the promo pic ? That was also horrible !

I suppose they told Ben Foster he would have this amazing character arc, and then they cut out most of his scenes. What a waste...

What they did with Angel stands out to me as the worst part of X-3.

What they did with Angel stands out to me as the worst part of X-3.

Really? Not knocking, just surprised.

I remember I showed the trilogy to my friends girlfriend. He doesn't like X-Men, and her and I are close friends. She had never seen the X-Men movies so her and I watched em all so I could convert another soul :)

After we got done with the trilogy, she went into detail about how she thought Angel was the best character in the trilogy, and gave me this in depth analysis of the themes and stuff she thought Angel stood for. I was rather shocked at how someone who got so butchered by fanboy standards stood out so much to someone who was experiencing X-Men for the first time.

I think they should have done more with Angel to be certain, but id still say the worst thing about the movie is killing Cyclops.

Really? Not knocking, just surprised.

I remember I showed the trilogy to my friends girlfriend. He doesn't like X-Men, and her and I are close friends. She had never seen the X-Men movies so her and I watched em all so I could convert another soul :)

After we got done with the trilogy, she went into detail about how she thought Angel was the best character in the trilogy, and gave me this in depth analysis of the themes and stuff she thought Angel stood for. I was rather shocked at how someone who got so butchered by fanboy standards stood out so much to someone who was experiencing X-Men for the first time.

I think they should have done more with Angel to be certain, but id still say the worst thing about the movie is killing Cyclops.

Despite its obvious narrative flaws, I truly believe the handling of Cyclops in this movie in relation to the Phoenix story line is really the only reason why I can't watch this movie. Shoehorning Wolverine into his role just really sticks it to me as a long time Cyclops fan. After all these years, it still hurts to think about.

With the exception of this, I don't find the movie to really be any worse than First Class and has really the same main flaws as all the X-men movies. Too many characters, underdeveloped ideas, clunky action scenes etc.

Despite its obvious narrative flaws, I truly believe the handling of Cyclops in this movie in relation to the Phoenix story line is really the only reason why I can't watch this movie. Shoehorning Wolverine into his role just really sticks it to me as a long time Cyclops fan. After all these years, it still hurts to think about.

With the exception of this, I don't find the movie to really be any worse than First Class and has really the same main flaws as all the X-men movies. Too many characters, underdeveloped ideas, clunky action scenes etc.

I really find this to be the crux of the hatred for the movie.

And its not totally unwarranted. Killing off arguably the lore's most important character (not popular) in a story that should have featured him really hurts. Itd be like killing Aragorn and making Legolas the new king.

Outside of that (and a couple other examples here or there) I think its just fine. It falls below in some regards to Singer's films, and it excells in other areas. That was just such a huge change in the source material that as a fan its hard to get past.

Cyclops isn't my favorite, but he's probably a top 5 character for me.

And that's why Fox doesn't listen to fanboys and fangirls. They want their favourite character to get ample amount of respect and screentime when it simply isn't possible.

To me the stories of x-men movies have a lead protagonist surrounded with supporting actors.

In X1-X3, Wolverine was the lead protagonist. All other mutants were supporting characters.

If you try to make everyone a hero in the movie then frankly speaking it will be a giant mess.

That's why I am worried about The Avengers. Captain America will and should be the hero. But the fans of iron man, thor, hulk, hawkeye, black widow and Nick Fury are going to complain a lot if their characters don't have much screentime or don't get to do awesome stuff.

I hope Joss Whedon pulls it all somehow.

In X-1, it was an ensemble movie, Wolvie had minor lead protagonist time.

I agree with most mentioned so far about X3. I'm in the group that liked it, probably because it was more aggressive action-wise and seemed more dynamic. It did have it's many faults though.

IMO, one glaring issue was the movie needed to focus on one plot: Phoenix or The Cure. I think if the story was about one or the other, we would have had more balance.

I believe the cure should have been the main story with Jean returning, all-Phoenixy, to the X-men as a substory. Ultimately, I still would've ended the movie with the big smackdown at Alcatraz, all scenes happening except: Jean vs Magneto, Storm would've lost her powers but still kicked Callisto's ass (nod to the comic book), I would've had Rogue leave to take the cure but change her mind and show up to help the team, Jean would manifest the Phoenix in taking down Mags. The set up for the next triology would be about Dark Phoenix rising.

I didn't think either plot distracted from one another honestly. I thought both plots worked well together, it's just the way it was handled that was horrible.

We sure have strayed from X-Men: FC. What's the BO now? Do you guys thinks it is high enough to guarantee a sequel?

I didn't think either plot distracted from one another honestly. I thought both plots worked well together, it's just the way it was handled that was horrible.

I agree. Overall, I thought the 2 plots themselves were fine, and worked well together. The problem with the movie wasn't the big picture, I thought that was great, the problem was the details along the way, the way some of the plot elements played out. I.E.: killing Cyclops. Curing Rogue.

I also have to say I wasn't a huge fan of the demolecularization aspect of Jean's powers. I get it, but it wasn't executed well I don't think.

We sure have strayed from X-Men: FC. What's the BO now? Do you guys thinks it is high enough to guarantee a sequel?

I don't think it's guaranteed. But I think it's a good shot.

My biggest issue with X-Men 3 was the fact that Prof. X lied to Jean about the extent of her powers and keeping it from her for years.

My biggest issue with X-Men 3 was the fact that Prof. X lied to Jean about the extent of her powers and keeping it from her for years.

That's cos she was dangerous. Can't blame him for being cautious! Also, he knew all about Wolverine's past and kept that secret too (as we discovered in X2).

And that's why Fox doesn't listen to fanboys and fangirls. They want their favourite character to get ample amount of respect and screentime when it simply isn't possible.

That's being very generous to FOX. While it's true everyone wants more of their favourite character and that can't work; Wolverine was shoe-horned into another character's shoes in X3 for the sake a large role. Cyclops fans are justified in their anger for this reason. He was killed and marginalised and not at all for the sake of the story.

That's being very generous to FOX. While it's true everyone wants more of their favourite character and that can't work; Wolverine was shoe-horned into another character's shoes in X3 for the sake a large role. Cyclops fans are justified in their anger for this reason. He was killed and marginalised and not at all for the sake of the story.

James Marsden was on the other side of the world filming Superman Returns, which may have spawned a new Superman franchise. Fox couldn't sit there hanging around either for Marsden (or Singer) at that point.

Killing off his character may not have been the best possible choice in terms of pleasing the fanbase but I don't see what else they could have done. Having Cyclops leave the team and go off to 'find himself' (as he did after Phoenix's death in the comics) seems rather unsatisfying and meaningless.

While the original comic book Phoenix saga does involve Cyclops, of course, there are also at least two instances in the comics where Wolverine kills Jean/Phoenix. One is in Endsong, the other in New X-Men when they are hurtling towards the sun.

Yeah true. I understand the reasons behind some of the decisions made. Sadly, the reality of scheduling conflicts does little to ease the awkwardness on-screen.

X-men 3 should have been green lit immediately though. I know that the cast had only been signed for two movies, unlike three in every other superhero franchises case so its possible that the scheduling conflict is what made the delay in the first place. I mean the X-men movies have given a career to a lot of people so they were all busy.

But I don't know, I feel like the only X-men movie that Fox really ever got behind was Wolverine. All the others there has been a strange reluctance that I've never understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"