Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, to be fair, it was only about a 30 second flashback sequence in X2, and we can't expect the studio/writers/whoever to act like die-hard fans like we do.

...Still, they could've at least tried to do something grittier, even if no
one remembered that particular sequence. :cmad: Hello, source material!

Oh I know but you'd think they'd at least look at what was done in the past 2 films ... for continuation sake!!

We get one flash back where he is all brutal and covered in blood, yet when we see it now we just get a comedy sketch of him running around naked!

Come on!?!

:doh:

Oh I know but you'd think they'd at least look at what was done in the past 2 films ... for continuation sake!!

We get one flash back where he is all brutal and covered in blood, yet when we see it now we just get a comedy sketch of him running around naked!

Come on!?!

:doh:

Him running around naked was just to please the teenage girls and the older women. I know it sounds weird and everything, but the character of Wolverine has become a sex symbol rather than a complex character. The closest we'll ever get to the true Wolverine is the first and second film.

Origins had some glimpses of him in a feral state. The procedure and when he was charging at Stryker reminded me of comic/animalistic Logan.

As I said, it was just a missed opportunity. When you think about it, since this was about his beginnings they could've not watered down his beginnings and shown why "He's the best at what I do, and what I do isn't pretty."

Yea and right now what is he that best at?!

Running around .... crying?!

The game was a better version.

Just tired of him been watered down just so young kids can go and watch it.

Him running around naked was just to please the teenage girls and the older women. I know it sounds weird and everything, but the character of Wolverine has become a sex symbol rather than a complex character. The closest we'll ever get to the true Wolverine is the first and second film.

I think teenage girls are too busy gaping at Robert Pattinson than Hugh Jackman. :cwink:

And I know 'older' women who avidly read the comics and and were disappointed that it seemed watered down from the previous films (I was too). I mean yeah, those scenes in the movie were fun, but on other forums I read, there are plenty of female fans out there who are also clamoring for an R-rated film too, even though most are resigned to the fact that it probably won't happen.

I think teenage girls are too busy gaping at Robert Pattinson than Hugh Jackman. :cwink:

And I know 'older' women who avidly read the comics and and were disappointed that it seemed watered down from the previous films (I was too). I mean yeah, those scenes in the movie were fun, but on other forums I read, there are plenty of female fans out there who are also clamoring for an R-rated film too, even though most are resigned to the fact that it probably won't happen.

Truth be told I know plenty of teenage girls who fawn over Hugh Jackman too. :cwink:

The more I think about it, the more I come to the perspective that an R rating isn't absolutely necessary. But they could've did more than what was portrayed on the screen. It's almost as if they're either ignoring continuity or watering down certain sequences, events, or themes on purpose or they are assuming no one will notice.

With that said I would like to see a sequel to fix the mistakes that were made. But I don't know if a sequel will change the damage. They missed an opportunity to portray Logan's beginnings in a horrific, gritty, and brutal fashion to the point to where people say "Now, why is he tortured again?"

Truth be told I know plenty of teenage girls who fawn over Hugh Jackman too. :cwink:

What can I say...we've got good taste. :oldrazz:

Honestly though, if I had to choose between that scene or a better movie that was closer to the comics, I would have taken the better movie. I did enjoy the film (it was downright Shakespearean next to TF2, which I loathed), but man, they could have blown it open a whole lot more than they did.

I think they should have extended out the Team X scenes - the stuff they had was really good, and Logan needed to do more than stand around disapproving of all of it. Also, I would have had him do a whole X2-style takedown of that prison at the end.

I loved Liev as Victor, would have liked to have scene more of him. I wasn't all that familiar with Deadpool so I wasn't freaked out about those changes like a lot of people were, but Ryan Reynolds was gold and I thought he should have had a bigger part.

The Weapon X stuff from the comics probably would have pushed the PG-13, but it at least should have matched up with the stuff we saw in X1 and X2. My biggest issue with the bullet is that it's obvious in X1 that there are no bullet holes in his skull when Jean is looking at his x-rays. Unless they explain that away in a sequel, it's a big plot hole.

I was fine with it being just movieverse Origin rather than comicverse Origin because a lot of what they established in the previous films was already different, and Wolverine's backstory is so convoluted anyway that they really needed to create their own story. It just needed to be a stronger story. They never even explained why he's called Logan.

In the end, I did enjoy a lot of it and thought it was a far cry better than X3, but it should have been a whole lot better. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get much better while Fox is calling the shots on these films.

Soooo it looks like there will be 2 delted scenes and 1 alternate ending... both deleted scenes should of been in the movie imo... One is baby storm, the other is sabretooth over a dead/defeated blob gaining info on where john wraith is.

the alternate ending is stryker telling wolverine he can erase his memories... and wolvie un characteristically accepts. (that makes the magic bullet look amazing) so glad that wasn't included

the alternate ending is stryker telling wolverine he can erase his memories... and wolvie un characteristically accepts. (that makes the magic bullet look amazing) so glad that wasn't included

That's how the Wii game ends - they start to do it, then he realizes they're going to kill Kayla and he breaks out and goes after Victor. It was totally bizarre...why on earth would he volunteer for anything Stryker offered again?

Maybe they just filmed it to make everyone appreciate the bullet ending. :oldrazz:

That's how the Wii game ends - they start to do it, then he realizes they're going to kill Kayla and he breaks out and goes after Victor. It was totally bizarre...why on earth would he volunteer for anything Stryker offered again?

Maybe they just filmed it to make everyone appreciate the bullet ending. :oldrazz:

haha, probably...

i'm really hoping the movie looks better in non HD on my TV lol... the cgi bothered the hell out of me. o well.. we shall see tomorrow...

haha, probably...

i'm really hoping the movie looks better in non HD on my TV lol... the cgi bothered the hell out of me. o well.. we shall see tomorrow...

It was playing digitally when I saw it, the cgi was almost painfully obvious in a few scenes. I'll never understand why they needed CG claws in that bathroom scene.

that and the horrid greenscreening of the kids running to xavier... *shakes head* i reallllllly hope it looks much better on the small screen

The Weapon X stuff from the comics probably would have pushed the PG-13, but it at least should have matched up with the stuff we saw in X1 and X2. My biggest issue with the bullet is that it's obvious in X1 that there are no bullet holes in his skull when Jean is looking at his x-rays. Unless they explain that away in a sequel, it's a big plot hole.

I was fine with it being just movieverse Origin rather than comicverse Origin because a lot of what they established in the previous films was already different, and Wolverine's backstory is so convoluted anyway that they really needed to create their own story. It just needed to be a stronger story. They never even explained why he's called Logan.

There you get Fox just making it up as they go along.
Its like they've forgotten they made 3 other x-Men films, and showed his origins like what 3 or 4 different ways now.
Ok X1 and X2's flashbacks were close so I will let it go.

But to show us an awesome version in X2 then give us this child-friendly bull is terrible.

I wonder I Hugh or anyone mentioned it at the time "Hay guys we've done this before, can we not make it look more like that!?"

Just caught this on Blue Ray. I am so happy I have Netflix and did not pay for a movie ticket to see it. This movie was just flat out horrible on just about every level. What they did to Deadpool was a travesty, the weapon X program went from being cool and dark to just being a joke, and Huge Jackman’s attempt and feral Wolverine comic book poses were just awkward and ill timed/shot. This film was devoid of any sophistication whatsoever and was hardly better than some of the lesser syfy original movies.

In comparison to quality comic films like the first 2 Spider-Man film, Iron Man, Hulk, and the Christopher Nolan Batman franchise this was a steaming pile of X-crap.

The entire Fox X-line has been subpar to begin with and this one just takes the cake. I would rank it right up there, wedged in between Batman and Robin and Spider-Man 3. I gave it a 3 only because I could not rank it lower due to existance of films like Steel, Elektra, Daredevil, Cabwoman, and the aforementioned Batman and Robin. If it were not for those turds this movie would be actually ranked lower.

I watched it again. It's my first time with the finished Special effects.

I actually find it worse on my second viewing.

The stupid cliched riddled, non-sense story is even more pronounced this time out. The dialogue is beyond ridiculously clunky and Jackman isn't even as good in the film as he was in the pass three movies. And the finished special effects are quite bad.

Geez, could the claws look any worse? What was up with that terrible looking CGI puppet Wolverine bouncing off the back of that truck? And why did Prof X look like warmed over s**t?

I can't think of one truely good Special effects shot...thats ridiculous!

Also does the wirework have to be awful in every X-men movie?

Honestly, the first part is harmless but dumb but the last half is just dumb and kills the movie for me. I should probably never watch the second half again.

Rating for the leaked version: 5/10

Rating for the finished version: 4/10

This movie could've probably been a lot better if they didn't try to make it such a giant action spectacle. Just a nice gritty movie with a budget of $70-80mil and more focus on Weapon X and the Team.

This movie could've probably been a lot better if they didn't try to make it such a giant action spectacle. Just a nice gritty movie with a budget of $70-80mil and more focus on Weapon X and the Team.
Agreed. There was no need for all of the cameos. No need at all.

I liked the movie it was good, hugh jackman did a great job as wolverine and all the other actors(don't know their names) did a good job as playing thier characters. i want to see this movie again, it was that good.

Egh, putting Daredevil amongst the likes of Elektra and Batman and Robin is just epic fail.

Haven't Daredevil and Elektra mixed together in stories for a long time now? I know next to squat about Daredevil, but my impression was that she was a reoccuring character, so the above statement seems strange to me.

I mean the quality of the films.

Daredevil the film, doesn't deserve to lumped with the absolute atrocities that are Elektra and Batman and Robin.

But yea you are right Elektra and Daredevil are linked in the comics.

Finally watched it. Here are my thoughts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - --

The very beginning with the Howlett family (Wolverine's family as a child), was extremely rushed.

As were the war scenes. I was expecting more. Instead, all the war scenes are mitigated to the opening titles. The trailer really gave a false impression in that respect.

Deadpool.... Wade Wilson... wasn't as funny as I heard he would be in this film. He gets a handful of lines that are chuckle-worthy at best. Ryan Reynolds is a good actor, and is slated to play Green Lantern on the DC side of the fence. He was always my choice for Flash, but I have no doubt he can pull two comic characters off from opposing companies.

The story in this film is almost constantly moving. You don't get your first breath of fresh air until the film skips ahead in time six years after Jimmy/Logan/Wolverine leaves his team of trained assassins for moral reasons; we see him briefly living with a partner (Silver Fox) in the Canadian Rockies. For whatever reason, this is where I most identify with Wolverine. he wants to live in peace, he wants to live a normal life. but the past is always sliding back to haunt him.

One of my favorite scenes was Wolverine in the laboratory having the adamantium fused to his skeleton. Talk about highly dramatic!

An action oriented scene that gets the adrenaline pumping is the chase scene between Wolverine on a motorcycle, several military hummers, and a helicopter. It was damn riveting.

By the third act, it degrades into little more than something too closely resembling a video game. what little story there is in the first place takes a back seat so we can have mindless action. this is a comic book film, so I can forgive it mostly for that.

The film gets superficial, so I will judge the third act superficially: the actress playing Emma Frost, the tactile telekinetic who can also turn into diamond form, is cute. But not drop-dead gorgeous as Emma is meant to be. I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but Emma should be distractingly beautiful.

Near the end we get a cameo from Professor X, in a rendition that is so obviously CGI that I gave a heavy sigh while watching. the thought was nice, but the execution was a sloppy after-thought.

Another note is we get to see an awkward, teenage Scott Summers taking his first steps towards becoming a leader.

Two issues with this film that kept coming to mind even while watching: 1) Why did Wolverine just seemingly leave Silver Fox's body laying there? If he had bothered to at least come back to her body and attempt a proper burial, she may have awoken from her Juliet-esque sleep with him there. of course if that had happened, the plot would've been screwed... still, it kept bugging me. 2) Why is Wolverine so dim-witted as to not see that Stryker was playing him for a fool by offering him adamantium to exact his revenge on Creed? I would think Wolverine would be intelligent enough to know that something fishy was going on.

Also, there's an issue that didn't occur to me until after watching this. What was the point of Gambit returning to the island after his role in the plot was already fulfilled? You can't tell me it was just to stop that chunk of wall from falling on Wolverine (something that's borderline deus ex machina as is). Wolverine could have believably dodged aside from the wall at the last second.

The film is good, but far from great. It's really Jackman's performance that saves it. He understands the character he is playing, plays him to a T, no questions asked. He is Wolverine.

I rate "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" 6.5/10.

Last edited:
When it comes to rating it on the poll, I'm rounding down when taking into account I'm going to be partial to Wolverine anyway, and I am in a rather generous mood today. On a more objective level, it's a 6.

I'm not by any means defending the Emma Frost actress that they did get (if you perused through on this site, I know I might have complained about the choice a couple of times...) but it has been heavily hinted at in the comices that Emma has had a lot of cosmetic surgery done to look as supposedly stunning (yes I hate the character :whatever: LOL) as she does.

And i can think of many things that can be altered in Tahyna Tozzi (atleast the Tahyna Tozzi that was in the film) to make her an acceptable Emma. :hehe:

And since they seem hellbent on making her one of the First Class, the plastic surgery could be a good excuse for them to recast.

Just watched it again today as I FINALLY got my blu-ray, I can now look past its flaws and enjoy it.

I think sometimes been a comic book fan and knowing the ins-and-outs of characters can be a bad thing when watching a film, they are never gonna be as good as we expect ... well Iron-Man is pretty spot-on in my books.

Its a good summer blockbuster, it set up Wolverine for hopefully a less child friendly film next, come on Fox a little blood please!

From a 5.5/10 to a solid 6.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"