RoboCop Reboot - Part 7

This movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm happy they kept the original theme song in it. Overall, it was very meh. Doesn't really excel at anything, but I don't think anything in the movie was actually bad. Just mediocre and unmemorable.

I would prefer just a Robocop movie that loosely exists in the original film series' timeline.

Given a sequel to this looks unlikely does anyone think they should try to make a sequel to the original? Could be set 30 years later or something.

Interesting concept but I think there's even less chance of that occurring than a sequel to the most recent one.

Given a sequel to this looks unlikely does anyone think they should try to make a sequel to the original? Could be set 30 years later or something.

Paul Verhoeven had that idea where far in the future Robocop is found de-commissioned in the back of a factory and is woken up. Would love to see that but don't ever see it happening.

That'd be crazy. Will never happen, but it's fun to imagine.

Yeah that's what I think the story would have to be. An offline Robocop been revived. In many ways I could see it like a Dark Knight Returns style story which is funny given the similarities with that and the original aswell as the fact Miller wrote 2 and 3 (of course there were rewrites of his scripts and a comic book etc).

Nah. Just leave it alone.

They couldn't make decent sequels. They couldn't even get the reboot to make an impact (much as I liked it myself).

When even the reboot fails, it's time to let it go.

A few reasons the reboot didn't connect we're they dumped it in February with little to know marketing and they didn't let the director wholly make his vision.

What's annoying is post Deadpool I think they'd have done an R rated Robocop.

I really enjoyed the reboot, it didn't feel like a soulles like other remakes (looking at you A Nightmare on Elm Street). I honestly think with better marketing and a Summer release it would fave done fairly well.

I do feel there is mileage in this character. There are more good Robocop stories to tell do I don't think they should just leave the character as a memory.

A few reasons the reboot didn't connect we're they dumped it in February with little to know marketing and they didn't let the director wholly make his vision.

What's annoying is post Deadpool I think they'd have done an R rated Robocop.

I really enjoyed the reboot, it didn't feel like a soulles like other remakes (looking at you A Nightmare on Elm Street). I honestly think with better marketing and a Summer release it would fave done fairly well.

I do feel there is mileage in this character. There are more good Robocop stories to tell do I don't think they should just leave the character as a memory.

Agreed, I actually liked the re-boot a lot. Probably the 2nd best Robocop movie, shame we won't get a sequel.

I enjoyed the reboot also, and really expected not to - I thought it would be a farce if they tried to capture the wit, cultural/contemporary views and so on of the original, lightning can't strike the same place twice.

But instead they went a different route and instead of having Alex Murphy be 'born' as Robocop and then slowly regain his human consciousness, they took the opposite approach and had him be recreated (in Robocop form) with his full human consciousness, but slowly lose himself to his programming. It was an interesting way to do it, and the updated tech/aesthetics used in the film was all pretty spot on.

I think the film deserves a sequel but not entirely sure where it would go. Robocop 2 pursued the concept of creating a second, or third - or more - Robocops - if the project was ultimately successful once, why not do it again? But I felt the story was very flawed in that they used a criminal as the subject, and the robot body itself was totally different. An interesting concept for me in a sequel would be to have another cop be badly injured in the line of duty and be transformed into an almost identical Robocop to Alex Murphy, and have Murphy act almost as a mentor to him in helping him with the transition. But he would discover that the guy was a corrupt cop and a liar, and is unable to control himself, abusing the power that comes with his new body. As he sees Murphy as the only threat to him, he manipulates the public and police into seeing Murphy as the dangerous one who must be powered down. Ultimately Murphy would have to clear his name and there would be a one-on-one between them.

As Robocop - as a concept - is essentially a human 'reborn' in cybernetic form, you could explore the angles that parallel those in human development - how we learn things, nature vs nurture, and so on. It wouldn't have to be completely black and white. The 2nd cop could be nuanced; maybe with having a second chance at life and being given great power, he would have good intentions but would struggle to handle it responsibly and end up giving in to his darker side.

Last edited:
That's a really good idea for a sequel to both the original and the re-boot, shame we didn't get that.

That's a great idea and I really do feel a sequel would have to truly be Robocop vs Robocop.

Thanks. It would be a bittersweet story really, Murphy would initially feel less isolated by meeting someone who's cybernetic just like him - only to be forced to (possibly) end his life later in the film. Probably some shades of Superman/Zod, but in the end it would only reinforce Murphy's acceptance of himself for who he is.

I didn't think much of the reboot at first (except for the new visor which is very cool), but on subsequent viewings it's won me over. It's perfectly contemporary; as we're all surrendering our lives to phones and ipads, he's an iRoboCop. The cleverest bit is that Murphy believes he is in control, but it's actually the software controlling him. How many friends do you have who think they use their phone to manage their lives, when in fact their phone is an end in itself?

The main problems with the film are that it's not very effective as an action movie, and it concentrates on Gary Oldman's character almost as much as Murphy, even though his character arc is simplistic and predictable. I'd love to see a sequel though...

...or how about, as there's another aging cyborg franchise in need of resurrection, RoboCop vs Terminator?

Last edited:
I'd love to see Robocop vs Terminator, but I think it would benefit best when both franchises are at their peak rather than struggling as they are now.

I'd love to see Robocop vs Terminator, but I think it would benefit best when both franchises are at their peak rather than struggling as they are now.

What would be the story about?

I loved the GameGear game RoboCop vs Terminator. It doesn't' even need a plot.

robocop-versus-the-terminator-usa-europe.png

That's probably the easiest franchise crossover possible. The comic of the same name even realized OCP could eventually lead to SkyNet, so now RoboCop + all the other drones in this reboot are just the beginning of the Terminator program.
Those 2 companies could be rivals like Apple & Microsoft OR it was just a name change.

I'd love it, get Weller and Arnie in for one final film. Shame they didn't do this in the 90s as they'd need to use some CG to make Arnie look younger. I think to sell it you'd need to get Cameron and Verhoeven on board too. Cameron producing with Verhoeven directing. Man I'd be all over that!

Infact you could even merge it with Verhoeven's idea of Robocop been resurrected in a warehouse. Maybe you do it in the thick of the war between man and machines. There's only a small group of humans left and they find Robocop and bring him back online to take on the machines.

That's probably the easiest franchise crossover possible. The comic of the same name even realized OCP could eventually lead to SkyNet, so now RoboCop + all the other drones in this reboot are just the beginning of the Terminator program.
Those 2 companies could be rivals like Apple & Microsoft OR it was just a name change.

Boom nailed it!

Last edited:

Well Robocop and the Terminator (in their respective franchises) exist in 2 different time periods, so you essentially have to have the Terminator either travel back to Robocop's time - or Robocop is somehow still alive in the Terminator's time.

Terminator travels back - you could have Robocop somehow encounter John Connor during his police work, which sets the scene for a potential encounter between him and the Terminator. Robocop would no doubt act as a guardian to John but this may essentially be too similar to T2.

Robocop in Terminator's time - now this I would find very interesting. What if Robocop was far enough away from the main nuclear blast areas that his reinforced body is strong enough to withstand the effects - effects which wipe out most humans - but the EMP effect knocks his systems out, and his biological components goes into some kind of stasis or self preservation aided by whatever changes were rendered to him when he was first transformed into Robocop. He could be awakened years later either by humans who consider him a threat but eventually accept him, or a fascinated Skynet who sees him as the answer to their inability to make Terminators totally convincing as humans - lacking the biological side which provides humour and so on.

Robocop vs Terminator could be sssssoooooo good if done right. With both franchises feeling stale it may be the best place to go.

I might try this movie a third time. I really liked it on first view, thought it was underwhelming on second view.
Nah. Just leave it alone.

They couldn't make decent sequels. They couldn't even get the reboot to make an impact (much as I liked it myself).

When even the reboot fails, it's time to let it go.
I see potential in going the Planet of the Apes route of making an improved reboot a decade or more after a failed one.

Robocop vs Terminator could be sssssoooooo good if done right. With both franchises feeling stale it may be the best place to go.

Regardless of how people feel about it it worked for Freddy vs Jason. That film was a big blockbuster hit for the studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"