Rotten Tomatoes/Critical Reception Thread

True that.

Rises gets a lot of points for unintentional comedy though!

tumblr_mmy7nadJAk1qzrlhgo2_250.gifv
At the moment, with 167 reviews, TDKR and The Batman have the exact same RT score and average rating. And as we all know, TDKR is the worst movie ever made.

It will forever be my head canon that Talia actually didn't die and that Nolan will come back in about 20 years to give us a legacy sequel about Damian Wayne on a quest to uncover the secrets of his lineage.

It's head canon, it can't be wrong! :oldrazz:

It will forever be my head canon that Talia actually didn't die and that Nolan will come back in about 20 years to give us a legacy sequel about Damian Wayne on a quest to uncover the secrets of his lineage.

It's head canon, it can't be wrong! :oldrazz:
That's why she had to fake her death, Katherine Hepburn style. :o

169 reviews, 88% like it, average score of 8/10.

Not a bad change, it might eventually end up on a higher liking percentage than the other two Nolan Batflicks, if not siding with one of them. It's fair to assume it won't land below 80% territory.

All the negative reviews I’ve seen are a joke and most are them just complaining about the dark tone, being too serious, bla bla

They actually make the movie sound better to me lol

And if the movie is well received like the Joker was, then I seriously doubt WB will make Reeves lighten up the tone. Don’t make the same mistake they made with Burton after Batman Returns

There's a very particular breed of checkmark American/UK-based critics that have hated the movie for its tone since the trailers, so I think that the score will go up when international critics start coming in because the vast majority of those complaints come from them.

It will settle around 80-85%, pretty good score all things considered. I think the early surge of reviews and 96% out the gate set the expectations really high, so people are a little disappointed. I don't see anyway this drops in the 70s, that would be in the ball park of a WW84-esque collapse.

80%-85% would disappoint me a bit though. I know a lot of masterpieces' scores are in that range. including Best Picture nominees, but I can't help but think it's lower than Wonder Woman, Homecoming, etc.

It'll likely end up in the 80 percentile range and I suspect it'll do well at the box office. There is literally zero cause for concern right now.

No offense to anyone in particular, but the vibe I'm getting from this place is that some people were expecting 90%+ and for this to be an undisputed masterpiece. Remove the preconceived expectations and the film is scoring well despite some strong opinions against the tone.

Yep, the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. People here get a little obsessed with numbers. Only reason why is because they want it to validate their opinion lol.

Though I do get the grievances from people who are annoyed with critics complaining that it's "too dark," as I often find those complaints silly for a movie like this.

80%-85% would disappoint me a bit though. I know a lot of masterpieces' scores are in that range. including Best Picture nominees, but I can't help but think it's lower than Wonder Woman, Homecoming, etc.

I really liked Homecoming, though I do think Wonder Woman is a middle of the road superhero movie that got inflated reviews because of it's cultural significance (something similar with Black Panther, but the latter movie is actually a really good movie).

But ultimately, the legacy of this movie will be by how it's embraced by fans and audiences.

I don't think 80-85% should be considered a disappointment. It's not the TDK level critical masterpiece that some were expecting, but considering the disastrous reception of the Batfleck movies, this is a darn good course correction.

I really liked Homecoming, though I do think Wonder Woman is a middle of the road superhero movie that got inflated reviews because of it's cultural significance (something similar with Black Panther, but the latter movie is actually a really good movie).

But ultimately, the legacy of this movie will be by how it's embraced by fans and audiences.
Not trying to blame them. They're good movies, but I just feel movies like The Batman, Infinity War, Batman Begins, Dune, etc. having lower scores than something like Homecoming, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, etc. just feels not right. Again, that's just my opinion, and the latters are all very good movie.

That doesn’t really mean anything though. WW and Homecoming and damn near all of the MCU have higher RT%s than films that easily blow them clean out of the water when it comes to quality and artistry.

The only people that would really go to RT to say something is better or more valuable are people who only watch these types of films. You see it all the time on Twitter.

Not trying to blame them. They're good movies, but I just feel movies like The Batman, Infinity War, Batman Begins, Dune, etc. having lower scores than something like Homecoming, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, etc. just feels not right. Again, that's just my opinion, and the latters are all very good movie.

LOL. Come on son.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. First of all talk about jumping a gun. Second BVS had a score in the 30s the correction was needed. Hell it wasn't enough for most people...

The Batman is certified fresh and is gonna be majorly profitable. Even mentioning it in the same breathe as Snyder film reactions is disingenuous at best.

WB is getting everything they want they aren't gonna tinker.

I notice you ignore Batman Returns to try to make my post out to be disingenuous but ok. You do you.

If you have faith in the decisions of WB execs thats good for you. Ive seen them make numerous stupid decisions beyond Snyder and beyond even Batman. I dont trust them, and I dont trust their track record.

Okay. This tired topic needs to be put to bed forever. WB sucks. We know lol

I notice you ignore Batman Returns to try to make my post out to be disingenuous but ok. You do you.

If you have faith in the decisions of WB execs thats good for you. Ive seen them make numerous stupid decisions beyond Snyder and beyond even Batman. I dont trust them, and I dont trust their track record.
This isn't the 90s anymore.

Not gonna lie, I was expecting TDK/BP level reception

I don't think 80-85% should be considered a disappointment. It's not the TDK level critical masterpiece that some were expecting, but considering the disastrous reception of the Batfleck movies, this is a darn good course correction.
People need to remember that it is actually right in line with Begins and there are many around here who will quite respectably argue that Begins is a better Batman movie than TDK. We are at the very least in the same position we were in in 2005. We have a new, ambitious Batman film, with strong reviews, that washes away the stink of a disastrous previous interpretation and opens the door for a sequel to build on a great foundation. I am more than happy with another Begins.
I don't get the last decade or so where 75% = SUCKS, 80%-85% = MEH, OKAY...and 85%-90% = GOOD, NOT GREAT.

This is the case in gaming, as well.
Yep, I know that I have found games that have landed in the 80s like the Wolfenstein and Tomb Raider reboots much more fun and unique than many of the safe, cookie cutter AAA games that land 90+ scores on the basis of their pedigrees.

Even then, it is not a one for one with Rotten Tomatoes. Rotten Tomatoes Fresh Percentages just tell you what proportion of people like the movie, not how much they like it. What is better a film like Batman Begins that is 84% fresh with an average score of 7.7 or something like Ant-Man and the Wasp at 87% fresh, but an average score of only 7.0?

The former is a flawed, but genuinely great film and definitive cinematic Batman origin story from the blockbuster auteur of our generation, the later is an inoffensive, forgetably mediocre film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"