Site Changes--Part Two! Please Vote!

jaguarr said:
But at least all the spam threads wouldn't be cluttering other boards. I don't think posts should count in the game threads, anyway. The time + posting approach Drak's come up with is a much better system and sort of renders the idea of spamming your way to an avatar pointless.

jag

So there's no incentive to spam in the game threads. So why shouldn't posts there count then? It would be more likely that people would be playing the games because the legitimately want to play.

I'd rather be done with those game threads all together.

I feel sorry for all the crappy posters.
Drakon's initiatives remind me of when the Germans bought Homer's plant and actually expected people to work and even know how to do their jobs.

Drakon comes from the land of chocolate, you know.

Also reminds me of the Germans because:
"You ver caught hoarding bread for ze sick prisoners. GUARDS! Take him to ze Gameyard and shoot him!"

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Also reminds me of the Germans because:
"You ver caught hoarding bread for ze sick prisoners. GUARDS! Take him to ze Gameyard and shoot him!"

Haben Sie Gehort Das Deutsche Band? Heil You-Know-Who!

Themanofbat said:
I just have ONE question before I cast MY vote.

Since 2001, I have created 3 threads called "The CountDown Game" that I have put appropriately in the Spider-Man Comics forum.

I didn't really create this idea... that came from long-ago SHHype mod Reader, but he gave up on it after less than 100 days.

Basically, when there was 441 days left for Spider-Man 1, a cover of Amazing Spider-Man #441 was posted along with the comic's credit info. The next day, when there were 440 days remaining, the same was done with Amazing Spider-Man #440. Every day, this is done until we get to "zero" days. Along the way, I would add other Spider-Man monthly titles when the numbers jived with the days remaining. For example, when there were 290 days left, I posted the credits for both Amazing Spider-Man #290 as well as Spectacular Spider-Man #290. As the days dwindle, more Spidey monthlies get added.

I did this for the first Spider-Man movie, I did it for Spider-Man 2, and I'm doing it again for Spider-Man 3.

I kept the name "CountDown Game" in the thread title because the thread's creator named it so, and I keep it out of respect. Even though I wouldn't call it a game, because it's more of a "viewing" thread and it's a cool way for us uber-geeks to count the days away for Spidey 3. I seldom miss a day, and I've started the recent rendition with 526 days left.

Since the viewing option has been added, I get to see every day how many new views my thread gets, so I know it's pretty popular amongst the Spidey Comics crowd.

I don't want this particular thread moved into some generic "game forum" nor do I want my posts to "not" count when I do this. It's been 275 days since I started it, and I have yet to miss a beat (it gets difficult when I'm away).

So if my thread & posts counts therein will remain unaffected, I will then cast my vote.

I'm not linking the thread for fear of Community banter entering what is a pretty clean viewing thread.

Thanks for your time Drakon.

Mike :)

Keep the TMOB game thread in the spidey section, I've been a loyal observer since spidey 2, plus I get to find out other posters views on certain comics when they originally came out. It gives me the ability to buy comic for my back issues and such :o :up:

Drak's next idea is awesome! Put all the spammers in camps and tattoo numbers on their wrists so we can keep track of them. :)

If I hear one more thing about Tmob's thread it will be the FIRST to go! :cmad:

DOG LIPS said:
Drak's next idea is awesome! Put all the spammers in camps and tattoo numbers on their wrists so we can keep track of them. :)

If I hear one more thing about Tmob's thread it will be the FIRST to go! :cmad:

TMOB's thread! TMOB's thread! TMOB's thread!!!!!!! :cmad:

jag

I don't think we should keep track of posts at all.

What's the criterion for deciding what belongs in the Game forum and what doesn't? I can see some posters raising Holy Hell because one thread was moved, but another wasn't, especially if posts don't count in the Game forum.

Lurk said:
What's the criterion for deciding what belongs in the Game forum and what doesn't? I can see some posters raising Holy Hell because one thread was moved, but another wasn't, especially if posts don't count in the Game forum.

It's all up to the moderator who sees it.

Drakon said:
Hmm. To be honest, that be a hard one. Could you link me to the thread?

I'm thinking it like this---

The "game" itself seems rather had to just spam with, since you can discuss that issue of the comic, and it psyches people up for the movie. If the "Gameyard" has posts that count, then it could probably stay where it is, providing it doesn't fall into that line where people just post "cool, lol" or spammy posts. But if the posts DON'T count, then it could be a deterrent for people to spam in there. It'd be hell to have it moved to the Gameyard just because of a few spammers, so it'd work out well for everyone to work together to prevent the spam.

I PM'ed you the link.

:)

imdaly said:
I'm all for the game threads to be moved to their own section, and the posts not counting.

But TMOB's "The Countdown Game" is a staple of the Spidey sections and should never be touched. It's a very cool thing to see the days count down in terms of issue number, and it's been this way since, like TMOB said, Spidey 1 was being released. To move it somewhere else would kill it. There's really not too much conversation about it, no, and that's cool with me. A point I think is valid to concider is, you really can't concider it a spamming thread, since TMOB only increases his count by 1 every day using that thread. That'd be some pretty poor spamming lol.

So yeah. I vote for the first option with the condition that TMOB's "Countdown Game" thread is untouched. :up:

Thanks man... :)

Iceman/Psylocke said:
:D I say whatever else happens, TMOB's countdown thread should be deleted. :D

It's too bad that England never really makes it far in the World Cup, eh? :)

;)

Erundur said:
Keep the TMOB game thread in the spidey section, I've been a loyal observer since spidey 2, plus I get to find out other posters views on certain comics when they originally came out. It gives me the ability to buy comic for my back issues and such :o :up:

Thanks for watching. :up:

:)

^ TMOB's lonely spamming again? This isn't the Countdown thread you know. :p

Themanofbat said:
It's too bad that England never really makes it far in the World Cup, eh? :)

;)
That was too easy :(;):(

I feel there should be two categories of posts.

Those counted towards post counts...and those that dont.

These *if we implemented it now would look like this*
- Those that DONT increase your Post Count
The Community Forum

- Those that DO increase your Post Count
All other forums

I figure separate it like that...simple and effective...

I realistically dont see people have a game thread for all the rapid posting threads like what are you wearing...etc...
It would last a few weeks, then die...

This is a SuperHero Board...Why not make only Superhero talk count?

Malice said:
I feel there should be two categories of posts.

Those counted towards post counts...and those that dont.

These *if we implemented it now would look like this*
- Those that DONT increase your Post Count
The Community Forum

- Those that DO increase your Post Count
All other forums

I figure separate it like that...simple and effective...

I realistically dont see people have a game thread for all the rapid posting threads like what are you wearing...etc...
It would last a few weeks, then die...

This is a SuperHero Board...Why not make only Superhero talk count?

But your logic implies that there is NO worthwhile conversation in Community, which really isn't true once you weed out the spam.

jag

I kinda voted for Option 2

...on accident. :O

As long as you keep track of how long I've been here and I have my 100X100 avatar I don't see why post count means anything.

jaguarr said:
But your logic implies that there is NO worthwhile conversation in Community, which really isn't true once you weed out the spam.

jag

True, but unfortunately....there is no way to separate them, and I am not going to create four forums for different type of posts that qualify for Community, but need to be separated.

It simply would be a administration and moderation nightmare.

So, are you shooting down the Gameyard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"