Site Changes--Part Two! Please Vote!

Malice said:
True, but unfortunately....there is no way to separate them, and I am not going to create four forums for different type of posts that qualify for Community, but need to be separated.

It simply would be a administration and moderation nightmare.

I still think Drak's solution is a viable compromise to the problem, personally.

jag

I'm not crazy about the idea of a "Community Gameyard" but I think I'll have to live with it... I've always thought of the entire Community as a giant game.

We shall see, I will have to discuss with Drakon, maybe I am not understanding his vision clearly.

Malice said:
We shall see, I will have to discuss with Drakon, maybe I am not understanding his vision clearly.

It's his Jesus Impersonator persona, isn't it? It radiates so much that you sometimes get lost in it's glow and can't focus on what he's saying.

jag

Malice said:

Watch out for the Pickled Pepper ass kicking your Marauders are going to receive in SHHFFL IV Week One... :cmad:

:csad:

This make's no sense, the gameyard with posts will allow people to spam in an area that doesn't screw up everyone elses discussions. If they don't then it'll just be empty and unused. What we really need is a spam section so if you want to be a **** and spam your way to an avatar you can without encroaching on proper discussion. If they don't count then why would spammers go in there?

I don't understand....:confused:

jaguarr said:
Posts shouldn't count in the Gameyard. All this spamming your way to Valhalla needs to stop.

jag

It doesn't matter.
They'll just go to place where their spam will count for post counts and nothing will be achieved.

twylight said:
It doesn't matter.
They'll just go to place where their spam will count for post counts and nothing will be achieved.

See the other part of Drak's plan for details on how the spamming will be rendered much less effective. Love the new avvy, btw. :up:

jag

jaguarr said:
See the other part of Drak's plan for details on how the spamming will be rendered much less effective. Love the new avvy, btw. :up:

jag
Yeah, I am agreeing more and more with the time idea rather than post count. :)

DOG LIPS said:
Drak's next idea is awesome! Put all the spammers in camps and tattoo numbers on their wrists so we can keep track of them. :)

*pulls up sleeve*

I'VE BEEN HIT! I'VE BEEN HIT!

jag said:

jag

Is it the join date thing?

And don't flatter me, this means war ya know...:cmad:

:cwink: :oldrazz:

ultimately, does anyone actually look at a persons post count to test the valiidity of their arguments. I just repond to what people say. Whether you've got 10'000 posts or two a good argument is a good argument and bad ones make you a figure of ridicule (cue the piss takes). Now that I think about it I say jack in the post count all together and do it solely off of time since registering.

hippy fascist said:
ultimately, does anyone actually look at a persons post count to test the valiidity of their arguments. I just repond to what people say. Whether you've got 10'000 posts or two a good argument is a good argument as you say and bad ones make you a figure of ridicule (cue the piss takes). Now that I think about it I say jack in the post count all together and do it solely off of time since registering.
I agree with most of your argument but it applies to registration date as well. Whether a poster is old or new a good argument is a good argument as you say and referring to either post count or reg date before making a judgement on their post is pathetic. The only reason I can see to keep either would be if the site owners want to provide rewards for long term actively contributing posters through avatars, sigs etc.

As far as monitoring and moderating goes the 'gameyard' would remove the kind of threads that can easily be and regularly are abused due to the fact they require little if any reading, can be as short as one word posts and can be continually spammed, sometimes even without a response. With post counts disabled within them it should require only minimal monitoring while allowing people who genuinely want to play the games to continue.

To combat spamming that may move to other forums as a result of this policy, give culprits warnings (friendly at first) when they break rules and start the punishments (eg reset count) as soon as they break the rules again. I would think if you get harsh reasonably early you can rule out most of these problems.

Is it possible that in the gameyard that every 100 posts or something is equal to 1 post that is contributed to your actual post count. Not that i spend a lot of time in those type threads, but certain people seem to spend a good amount of time there.

I hate being a libra, always trying to be fair and balanced. :mad:

hippy fascist said:
ultimately, does anyone actually look at a persons post count to test the valiidity of their arguments. I just repond to what people say. Whether you've got 10'000 posts or two a good argument is a good argument and bad ones make you a figure of ridicule (cue the piss takes). Now that I think about it I say jack in the post count all together and do it solely off of time since registering.

In the Pre-Spam era of SpiderManHype, a higher post count DID sort of represent a sign of seniority and respect. It didn't necessarily win any arguments, but it meant something.

That being said, I like the post count... comes from my comic book buying roots. Certain posts are milestones, ie 1000 th post, etc... And while I admit to my share of "silly posts", I'd like to think that I've earned my 25 538 posts here at the Hype in under 6 1/2 years of being here. 5000 posts used to be the mark of getting your own personalized title, and it took me close to 2 years to get it because the majority of my post contributed to something (at least I'd like to think so).

I'm a math guy, so I like the post counts. :)

The voting is still fairly close on this, I don't think it's going to be an easy policy to decide. :)

hippy fascist said:
I have 31,135 posts and you only have 1,080 so ****!:cmad:

I don't tink anyone spams just to get priveledges either. I don't think anyone's ever done that:confused:

Darren Daring said:
I don't tink anyone spams

popeye.png

:confused:

Disaster strikes, I just bounce back. That's what I do.
I'm like that Destiny's Child song, only come to life as a...Caucasian male.

Holly Goodhead said:
I'm finally seeing Snakes On A Plane tonight.
What thread is this?
I'm finally seeing "Feed" tonight.
I can't wait.

This is Drakon's "Mirko sucks, let me show you how we do it uptown." thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"