BvS Skepticism Regarding the Film - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
c68d7bb8b7cedc1fb0a2c401fd20cd7d.jpg

I have to disagree. I said it in my review, but I felt the acting was good. Every single actor did the absolute best they could with the dreck they were given.

The problem with Superman is not Henry Cavill, who I sincerely believe understands the character. The problem with Superman is Zack Snyder.

You need to see The Man from UNCLE. That movie was flawed, but Henry was amazing.

Thank you! He proved in that interview that he isn't even close to being a comic guy! I've always read Batman comics, but Batman Begins is what drove me to become a comics fan in general. And I know more than Zack...

Preach!

Hammer > Cavill in UNCLE for me.

Hammer > Cavill in UNCLE for me.

Eh, fair enough. I thought they were both phenomenal in UNCLE, to be honest.

But I like Henry Cavill as an actor in general, so that's just my bias.

See, of all the problems I had with this film, the acting was not one of them. I said this on Facebook and I'll post it here, too:

You know what the saddest part of Batman v Superman is for me? All of the actors deserved better, especially Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill, and Amy Adams. They all deserved so much better. They (and basically every other actor involved in the film) gave it their all and did their absolute best. But they were given almost nothing to work with.

Not one of the actors deserves to be blasted for their performances because, at least to my eyes, they really put forth their absolute best efforts with this. They so wanted it to be phenomenal and they deserved to have their work and performances praised. But that's not going to happen because of this mess of a film.

It is so upsetting to me, and I wish I could hug them all and tell them that, as much as I disliked the movie, I thought they all were great.

Watched BS on Thursday. It should have been called Batman: Knightmare, because it was so nightmarish and strange. Felt like Watchmen 2 or something, not a Batman or Superman movie...

A year ago, I joked about Batman murdering people, since it's a Zack Snyder film. "Batman is going to use a machine gun and blow people's heads off:hehe: just kidding, he can't be that stupid after the MOS stuff!:woot:"

A year later, I sit in a theater and almost laugh my butt off as Bat-Rambo rips people to shreds with a machine gun, blows a guy up, stabs people etc. But that's not all:

- I can't believe that they killed Jack! He was my favorite character.

- Superman kills (or cripples) a guy by slamming him through walls.

- Dream sequences, and more dream sequences. Probably inspired by Synder's own dreams when he fell asleep behind the camera.

- Young Bruce's face when he falls in slow motion. "Noooooooo!"

- Mark of Zorro. Great movie...why did they have to include it here?

- The guy with no legs who climbs and vandalizes the Superman statue. The policeman says something like: "get down from there!" But he lets him finish it. The stuff where he turns into a suicide bomber is also hilarious

- I was curious to hear Superman speak during the hearing, but the Zack Synder cameo (a jar of piss) ruins everything. Images of Lex Luthor with his his wiener in one hand and a jar in the other flashed before my eyes before everything exploded.

- Superman standing in the flames, like: "damn...I forgot to return those DVD's I rented"

- Superman's sad face when he flies off. Why didn't he just stick out his lower lip?

- Angry Batman's sexy training montage. "Look girls, he's almost naked". Reminded me of all those 80s movies with cheesy music by Bill Conti.

- The Knightmare sequence. Bad coreography...the guy in front of me laughed when the Parademon knocked out Batman. I wonder what non-comic readers thought when they witnessed that scene..."I don't like the scary mutant flies!"

- The hobo Flash. "Yaaaarggh, Breeewwsss!" Did regular moviegoers understand what the heck just happened?

- The other superhero cameos were equally silly and unnecessary. Again, I bet many regular moviegoers found it confusing. "Why did the crazy black guy play around with the torso? I'm scared!"

- Martha Kent polaroids. Sick and awful. The blurred photo with white eyes...Synder has issues:funny:

- Batman changes his mind when he hears "Martha". Reminds me of my school days when I was 6-7. "what, you're a fan of Super Mario Bros too? Let's be friends". Maybe the guy you shot to death last week had a father called Thomas, Batman.

- Lex Luthor's kindergarten arguments in his God speech made me roll my eyes. Did the writer really win an Oscar?

- Lex Luthor bakes his own Doomsday with Zod's body and some blood. Ding ding!

- Synder talked about exploring Doomsday's "mythology"...was that it?

- How did Batman survive Doomsday's energy blasts?

- Superman's first death when he looks like Michael Jackson in Thriller.

- Wonder Woman's theme.

- Superman's "thing from another planet" line. Sounds like he's aware that BvS is like a cheesy b-movie.

- The fight was better than the one in MOS, but hard to follow. Too much crap happened at once.

- And then, Superman dies again. Synder actually killed Superman in his second appearance, and we didn't even get to know the guy. Bagpipe music, Tobey Maguire-ish crying...and suddenly the dirt starts to move! Superman is alive again...what a surprise.

- Finally, we see the story behind the bald Lex pics...they shaved his hair in prison. That's...not interesting at all.

I'm not saying everything about it is bad. I liked Ben Affleck as Batman, a lot of the action scenes were good, Jeremy Irons is a good Alfred (but in the wrong Batman movie). I wanted to like it, and it's sad that it failed.

It was entertaining...like a bad Steven Seagal movie. 4/10

Is there a good Steven Segal movie? :oldrazz:

I like the romantic drama where he plays a struggling artist who falls in love with a rich man's daughter. I always cry at the end, when I find out that the movie doesn't even exist.

See, of all the problems I had with this film, the acting was not one of them. I said this on Facebook and I'll post it here, too:

The acting saved this movie for me.

- why did they include a (well almost) naked Amy Adams in a tub at the beginning? Not a big fan of nudity in movies, but crap like that is almost worse. More of the "Superman isn't a virgin in this universe" stuff from Synder, perhaps.

- I think it was a bit stupid to introduce a powerful villain like Doomsday in this...how are they going to top that? It's like in MOS when they destroyed everything. Maybe Superman will destroy entire planets in the next one.

- Read today that the guy that got killed at the beginning is supposed to be Jimmy Olsen. Seems to me that Superman characters doesn't mean a lot to Synder. They're just killed off like that...

- Wonder Woman wasn't bad.

- The Aquaman cameo was very bad.

- The movie needed some more Alfred.

- I can only remember two or three lines from Cavill. Had the same problem with MOS. Who the heck is this guy?

- The "do you bleed" part...people said "there's going to be more dialogue...it's edited lol!". Wrong, it's just as stupid as in the clip they released. Batman acting like a little kid.

- Like I said, someone laughed when Batman got his ass kicked by the parademons aka Teenage Mutant Ninja Beetles, and that was the only time I heard laughter during the movie. I also heard: "mom, I'm scared".

You know, I've been saying "f*** Snyder" for the past couple days but the more I think about it, the more I'm also like, "f*** Affleck too." I have no proof of this, but it sure as hell seems to me like once he got involved, everything started to become about Batman. And supposedly he would sit there on set and rewrite his lines. And we know he's the reason Terrio got involved. It seems like the three of them just got together and tried to make the best Batman movie they could and didn't want to waste their time on Superman. And it sucks.

Also, people who actually think Routh's acting in SR was better than Henry's in this... give me a break. Part of the reason I hated this movie was because its treatment of Superman REMINDED me of SR. The only difference here is that at least Cavill can display emotion. Routh couldn't even do that. His Superman reminds me of that line Tyler Durden says in Fight Club about oxygen getting people high during a plane crash: "Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows." He was completely blank through that whole movie. He had very little experience as an actor and it showed.

To be fair, I actually think Routh could play a decent Superman now; he's clearly improved since then. But that's beside the point. This is another reason why BvS sucks so much; it's making people go back and look at crap like SR with rose-colored glasses. Ugh.

WB hired Terrio, not Ben. And really? Dude was the best thing in and outta the flick.

WB hired Terrio, not Ben. And really? Dude was the best thing in and outta the flick.

You really think it's just a coincidence that they hired the guy who wrote Affleck's award-winning film to rewrite the script?

Look, maybe Goyer's script was sh**. But as flawed as MOS was, we at least had glimpses of a Superman who wasn't 100% tormented and depressed and he at least SPOKE when people talked to him. That's more than I can say for what Terrio wrote.

The movie writers really do seem to have trouble writing dialogue for superman. I wish one of the great comic writers for him, like Morrison or Waid, would come on board for a superman movie and help the screen writers.

You really think it's just a coincidence that they hired the guy who wrote Affleck's award-winning film to rewrite the script?

Look, maybe Goyer's script was sh**. But as flawed as MOS was, we at least had glimpses of a Superman who wasn't 100% tormented and depressed and he at least SPOKE when people talked to him. That's more than I can say for what Terrio wrote.

Yeah at the end of the day this movie didn't have scenes like Clark talking to a priest (Trying to homage, but completely missing the point of "For Tomorrow"), or lines like "dicksplash", "I think that only counts when you're kissing a human" (Whilst making out on top of the corpses of THOUSANDS) or "evolution always wins".

The dialogue was a vast improvement.

You know, I've been saying "f*** Snyder" for the past couple days but the more I think about it, the more I'm also like, "f*** Affleck too." I have no proof of this, but it sure as hell seems to me like once he got involved, everything started to become about Batman. And supposedly he would sit there on set and rewrite his lines. And we know he's the reason Terrio got involved. It seems like the three of them just got together and tried to make the best Batman movie they could and didn't want to waste their time on Superman. And it sucks.

Also, people who actually think Routh's acting in SR was better than Henry's in this... give me a break. Part of the reason I hated this movie was because its treatment of Superman REMINDED me of SR. The only difference here is that at least Cavill can display emotion. Routh couldn't even do that. His Superman reminds me of that line Tyler Durden says in Fight Club about oxygen getting people high during a plane crash: "Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows." He was completely blank through that whole movie. He had very little experience as an actor and it showed.

To be fair, I actually think Routh could play a decent Superman now; he's clearly improved since then. But that's beside the point. This is another reason why BvS sucks so much; it's making people go back and look at crap like SR with rose-colored glasses. Ugh.

First off, you do realize that the reports of Ben Affleck rewriting the script were largely exaggerated, right?

Second... I'm not even sure the writing is the major problem. I really, truly believe that everything wrong with BvS can be chalked down to one thing: the same thing that was wrong with MoS... Zack Snyder.

The movie writers really do seem to have trouble writing dialogue for superman. I wish one of the great comic writers for him, like Morrison or Waid, would come on board for a superman movie and help the screen writers.

I'm pretty sure this is a choice. He has lived much of his life apart from humanity and is almost unsure how to communicate. Notice how much more he talks as Clark and with Lois. This is an issue to be sure, but the issue is not that they can't write dialogue.

I'm pretty sure this is a choice. He has lived much of his life apart from humanity and is almost unsure how to communicate. Notice how much more he talks as Clark and with Lois. This is an issue to be sure, but the issue is not that they can't write dialogue.

He works as a journalist in his private life. You mean to tell me it makes sense he's incapable of communicating well?

Then the issue is they've chosen not to write dialogue for him, which is just as bad IMO. I'm not even asking for long speeches from him (I've never thought supes to be the wordy type); just a few sentences here and there would make all the difference in communicating his views and personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"