BvS Skepticism Regarding the Film - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then the issue is they've chosen not to write dialogue for him, which is just as bad IMO. I'm not even asking for long speeches from him (I've never thought supes to be the wordy type); just a few sentences here and there would make all the difference in communicating his views and personality.
After this film, I've lamented on all the harsh criticism I threw Routh's way. Cavill has two films under his belt now, and I can't say definitively he's made a huge mark on the role any more than Brandon. Not as much as I initially thought anyway. Henry's still better and carries more potential, but these films are not letting him stretch his chops at all.

It's starting to look like "darker" directors such as Singer and Snyder seem to shy away from truly exploring the character. Or don't know how to tackle the "man" separate from his demigod status. Roger Eberts SR review still rings true in part with BvS:

"It's strange how little dialogue the title character has in the movie. Clark Kent is monosyllabic, and Superman is microsyllabic."

I like the romantic drama where he plays a struggling artist who falls in love with a rich man's daughter. I always cry at the end, when I find out that the movie doesn't even exist.

Thank you for the chortle. I, in retrospect, I too/also weep at the end of said pictur that is "not-real"

The worst thing is that both Batman and Superman had so much potential in this movie. It seems so simple; make Superman's story be about how he never falters or doubts his commitment to the people of Earth, no matter what they say about him. He symbolizes hope (it freaking says it on his chest!) in a hopeless world. Make Batman's story be about a man who has lost all hope. Cynical and suicidal, he seeks to bring down the alien and redeem himself. Stuff happens and the movie ends up with Batman being inspired by Superman to become a hero again, and Superman's faith in humanity is rewarded. The movie shows that Superman can indeed inspire hope and goodness in humanity, and it all starts with converting Batman, who was the most hopeless of them all.

There were bits and pieces of that, but it is downright infuriating how badly Snyder messed it up. The story basically writes itself.

Last edited:
The worst thing is that both Batman and Superman had so much potential in this movie. It seems so simple; make Superman's story be about how he never falters or doubts his commitment to the people of Earth, no matter what they say about him. He symbolizes hope (it freaking says it on his chest!) in a hopeless world. Make Batman's story be about about who has lost all hope. Cynical and suicidal, he seeks to bring down the alien and redeem himself. Stuff happens and the movie ends up with Batman being inspired by Superman to become a hero again, and Superman's faith in humanity is rewarded. The movie shows that Superman can indeed inspire hope and goodness in humanity, and it all starts with converting Batman, who was the most hopeless of them all.

There were bits and pieces of that, but it is downright infuriating how badly Snyder messed it up. The story basically writes itself.

Bingo.

I'm pretty sure this is a choice. He has lived much of his life apart from humanity and is almost unsure how to communicate. Notice how much more he talks as Clark and with Lois. This is an issue to be sure, but the issue is not that they can't write dialogue.

People really like making excuses for this movie. We just want the Superman we know and love. Stop writing it like this if it means we have to assume the reason he's basically a mute is because he has trouble communicating.

The worst thing is that both Batman and Superman had so much potential in this movie. It seems so simple; make Superman's story be about how he never falters or doubts his commitment to the people of Earth, no matter what they say about him. He symbolizes hope (it freaking says it on his chest!) in a hopeless world. Make Batman's story be about a man who has lost all hope. Cynical and suicidal, he seeks to bring down the alien and redeem himself. Stuff happens and the movie ends up with Batman being inspired by Superman to become a hero again, and Superman's faith in humanity is rewarded. The movie shows that Superman can indeed inspire hope and goodness in humanity, and it all starts with converting Batman, who was the most hopeless of them all.

:hmr::jd::wowe:

That's more or less what happens. :huh:

Then Snyder did an absolutely horrid job of telling that story.
How one takes the execution is what it is, I've no qualm leaving that untouched.

Surely there can be a consensus though that is what precisely what happens as the events transpire? I was curious why so many were agreeing.

How one takes the execution is what it is, I've no qualm leaving that untouched.

Surely there can be a consensus though that is what precisely what happens as the events transpire? I was curious why so many were agreeing.

Hence why I said there were bits and pieces. Also why I said Snyder completely ruined it.

Nothing will beat the original "Hello darkness, my old friend..." version.

Man reading the positivity thread....critics don't matte, audience perception doesn't matter, people just don't get subtlety....

I'm genuinely convinced if you were to remove the capes and costumes from this film more people would see the flaws a lot clearer.

Last edited:
Then the issue is they've chosen not to write dialogue for him, which is just as bad IMO. I'm not even asking for long speeches from him (I've never thought supes to be the wordy type); just a few sentences here and there would make all the difference in communicating his views and personality.

What happened to the Superman who stood confident in his suit/skin as he spoke to General Swanwick in the desert at the end of MoS. He had no issue articulating and making his feelings known firmly and clearly.

What changed for him to make him the Superman who, after offering the briefest of smiles, looks away from the adoring crowd in Mexico with such a pained expression, who doesn't address people outside of Lois, who doesn't say even one word to any civilian in the movie, that it's seemingly not worth the bother.

I'm pretty sure this is a choice. He has lived much of his life apart from humanity and is almost unsure how to communicate. Notice how much more he talks as Clark and with Lois. This is an issue to be sure, but the issue is not that they can't write dialogue.

For all the excuses you've made for each of the films flaws I think this is definitely the lamest.

What happened to the Superman who stood confident in his suit/skin as he spoke to General Swanwick in the desert at the end of MoS. He had no issue articulating and making his feelings known firmly and clearly.

What changed for him to make him the Superman who, after offering the briefest of smiles, looks away from the adoring crowd in Mexico with such a pained expression, who doesn't address people outside of Lois, who doesn't say even one word to any civilian in the movie, that it's seemingly not worth the bother.

Thats what irritates me, man! We were supposed to see a more confident Superman not an even more brooding one. Ugh.

Snyder and Terrio wrote this Superman like Dr Manhattan, plain and simple. The blank expression he gives after the courthouse thing happens says it all.

Thats what irritates me, man! We were supposed to see a more confident Superman not an even more brooding one. Ugh.

Snyder and Terrio wrote this Superman like Dr Manhattan, plain and simple. The blank expression he gives after the courthouse thing happens says it all.

Superman really was like Dr Manhattan in the capitol building bombing sequence. He enters the building and everyone backs off and keeps their distance. He doesn't acknowledge and make eye contact with anybody. As the fires rage around him, he has this 'now this is why being around people is troublesome' expression, the not-too-similar grimace he wears throughout the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"