Sequels Vanderbilt Talks Spider-Man 4!

thejon93

Forever Haunted
Reaction score
Zodiac Screenwriter James Vanderbilt Talks Spidey 4!
Source: IGN
http://movies.ign.com/articles/849/849075p1.html

IGN.com has an exclusive interview with WGA nominated screenwriter of Zodiac, James Vanderbilt who is currently set to write the script for the upcoming installment of the superhero franchise, Spider-Man 4. Vanderbilt to IGN that it had felt weird being the screenwriter for this installment because "you're sitting down with people who made the first three and going, 'Well, let me tell you what to do,' which always odd." For more, visit the the link above for news on how the film's script is being affected by the writer's strike, etc.

every month they bring in a new writer... at least they'll have many different inputs... but how many is too many?

IGN.com has an exclusive interview with WGA nominated screenwriter of Zodiac, James Vanderbilt who is currently set to write the script for the upcoming installment of the superhero franchise, Spider-Man 4. Vanderbilt to IGN that it had felt weird being the screenwriter for this installment because "you're sitting down with people who made the first three and going, 'Well, let me tell you what to do,' which always odd." For more, visit the the link above for news on how the film's script is being affected by the writer's strike, etc.

Awesome :woot:

Intersting, I thought they hired somebody else? :huh:

I like James Vanderbilt. :up:

Awesome! It's good to know Vnaderbilt loves the Spidey films and that he's eager to get to work on Spidey4. :up:

He speaks...

Someone of importance needs to drill "The Lizard" and "Kraven The Hunter" into his mind, before we lose him within the midst of things! :cool:

I thought Vanderbilt has been signed on for a while?

hopefully he will give Spider-Man a good murder-mystery to solve.. darker territory..villain choices: Morbius, Man-Wolf, Lizard..

Yeah, right. And I have more money than Bill Gates.

hopefully he will give Spider-Man a good murder-mystery to solve.. darker territory..villain choices: Morbius, Man-Wolf, Lizard..
I would really like to see Shocker(Herman Schultz) played by Javier Bardem; I'd like to see them transform Schultz from petty thug to a sadistic mob-lord who sets a bounty to kill Spider-Man for interfering in his criminal affairs, but as Spider-Man tries to overthrow them he must protect his best friend Max Dillion from Schultz's attacks upon him so he can make a testimony against Schultz for drug-trafficing, homicide, and armed robbery. A little serious for a comic-book film I know but it would finally set Spider-Man up against a psychological villain who plays his cards to his favour as much as he can. A while all of that goes on they have a build-up for Dr. Connors alternate-ego known as The Lizard where throughout the movie you see him begin to transform physically as well as psychologically into The Lizard. I think that would be a great film with a fresh new take on the comic-book universe.

I would really like to see Shocker(Herman Schultz) played by Javier Bardem; I'd like to see them transform Schultz from petty thug to a sadistic mob-lord who sets a bounty to kill Spider-Man for interfering in his criminal affairs, but as Spider-Man tries to overthrow them he must protect his best friend Max Dillion from Schultz's attacks upon him so he can make a testimony against Schultz for drug-trafficing, homicide, and armed robbery. A little serious for a comic-book film I know but it would finally set Spider-Man up against a psychological villain who plays his cards to his favour as much as he can. A while all of that goes on they have a build-up for Dr. Connors alternate-ego known as The Lizard where throughout the movie you see him begin to transform physically as well as psychologically into The Lizard. I think that would be a great film with a fresh new take on the comic-book universe.
Except for the fact that Max Dillon is Electro. Plus, Shocker was always used as an easy beatup doll for Spider-Man and never really proved to be a huge threat.

every month they bring in a new writer... at least they'll have many different inputs... but how many is too many?

What are you talking about? Vanderbilt was hired over three months ago.

Except for the fact that Max Dillon is Electro. Plus, Shocker was always used as an easy beatup doll for Spider-Man and never really proved to be a huge threat.
I never said he would have to become Electro because his alter-ego is in it, no that's pulling a Spider-Man 3 on the fans... again where Eddie Brock Jr. was introduced as a minor character but later on becomes the main villain, bull-crap.

That's why I said "I think that would be a great film with a fresh new take on the comic-book universe". As in they make Shocker more than just a punching bag, for years comic-books have set new boundries for themselves, so why not a movie? For better or worse they have to take a chance at something new and fresh instead of relying on the total anthology of a comic-book it's based on. I'm not saying that it should pull a X-Men 3, I'm just saying that they should try to shock and stun not only the general audience, but the comic-book audience as well while still staying true to the comics.

^The more you deviate from the source, the more pissed fans will get. Completely changing Max into a best friend might be a little too far IMO. Making Shocker a more prominent villian isn't a bad idea. But, him being a mob boss with goons is too far.

"It's sort of an odd process because you're sitting down with people who made the first three and going, 'Well, let me tell you what to do,' which is always odd."
So, is he the one who decides what villain(s)/story gets used?

So, is he the one who decides what villain(s)/story gets used?
Yes. Remember when Raimi said he didn't want to molest any of his ideas and just wanted to see his take on the series and then they would go from there. Raimi didn't want anyone to interfere or give plot lines/characters...just let Vanberbilt have at it.

^The more you deviate from the source, the more pissed fans will get. Completely changing Max into a best friend might be a little too far IMO. Making Shocker a more prominent villian isn't a bad idea. But, him being a mob boss with goons is too far.
People will always have their doubts until proven wrong, nothing you can do about that. People should take a chance here, movies are movies, comics are comics, movies should always have a chance to make something of their own imagination by using the origins and what-not of other sources(in this case comic-books). All I'm saying is to give this film a chance to be much more than a comic-book adaption.

People will always have their doubts until proven wrong, nothing you can do about that. People should take a chance here, movies are movies, comics are comics, movies should always have a chance to make something of their own imagination by using the origins and what-not of other sources(in this case comic-books). All I'm saying is to give this film a chance to be much more than a comic-book adaption.
I have been saying that forever:o

But there is a fine line between going a different direction and completely molesting the character and something unique that still keeps true to the source.

Yes. Remember when Raimi said he didn't want to molest any of his ideas and just wanted to see his take on the series and then they would go from there. Raimi didn't want anyone to interfere or give plot lines/characters...just let Vanberbilt have at it.
Interesting, so that means that this guy may not even like The Lizard or don't think he'll work well on screen, and completely discard him altogether. We may not even see The Lizard in SM4, think about that. That's a lot of power. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"