The Force Awakens Star Wars: Episode VII Fan Art and Manips

Do people honestly think Chewie will be in these films? I don't. Although, it all depends on if once again Lucas completely ignores Expanded Universe canon. Chewbacca is dead. Mara Jade is killed by Jacen.

Now, they're going to have to explain these things to an audience who doesn't know any of this via either by the opening crawl or by pictures, flashbacks, you name it. I personally want Lucas to stay FAR AWAY from this as much as possible, and allow J.J. Abrams and Kennedy to do their own thing albeit I do worry Abrams might add in some time-travel B.S. or lens flares, or whatever, but I trust he'll make a good call.

To me, the core players should be Luke, Leia, Han, the droids, Lando, and the kids. That's it. :jedi

They are going to ignore the EU, so they don't have to explain anything.

Pff far from it. The EU became so convoluted and (a lot of bad stories) after the Thrawn Trilogy. There were some gems in there but far more the bad outweighed the good. I don't want them bogging themselves down creating mediocre stories because they are trying to stay in line with third tier cannon (as Lucas put it) where it is just authorized fan fiction. The movies trump over all and always have. Even the Thrawn Trilogy had some once canonical stuff taken out when the PT came out. The films will always be the deciding factor of the stories, not the other way around.

Pff far from it. The EU became so convoluted and (a lot of bad stories) after the Thrawn Trilogy. There were some gems in there but far more the bad outweighed the good. I don't want them bogging themselves down creating mediocre stories because they are trying to stay in line with third tier cannon (as Lucas put it) where it is just authorized fan fiction. The movies trump over all and always have. Even the Thrawn Trilogy had some once canonical stuff taken out when the PT came out. The films will always be the deciding factor of the stories, not the other way around.

Unless they set the whole thing in an era where those "convoulted" things(Yuuzhan Vong War, Jacen Solo's time as Darth Caedus and subsequent death etc etc) are a long distant memory and would only come up when it really needs to. Noted examples of how this was done before was during A New Hope where the Clone Wars was briefly mentioned but never talked about in great detail. We knew other stuff happened in the galaxy and that's it. This was also done in KOTOR where the Mandalorian Wars were talked about and that's it.

If you look on wookiepedia's galactic timeline(http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_galactic_history) you'll find that the era between 44 ABY-127 ABY is largely unwritten. I suspect that is when Episode VII-IX will be set and George Lucas himself probably said that era is to be off-limits as well as definitely saying that the deaths of Luke(Remember the Vector Prime controversy?), Han and Leia and maybe Lando are off-limits for all EU writers until the time is right(ie 2015). It's set far enough such that the whole galaxy settled down after all those other novels and still early enough such that the big 3 are still alive. As for Chewbacca, maybe he wasn't really part of Lucas' original plans which is going to influence the script I imagine?

The EU wouldn't be retconned so easily, if it was then what's next? KOTOR & Revan becomes a fictional fairy tale within the galaxy?

Last edited:
Your going to be in for a massive disappointment. It is a million times easier just to erase it. The reason being they are not going to make these films that far into the future ect. There is too many intricate things that fans would be like...."Oh that's not how it happened that can't happen ect." Also your examples still don't work. Because they were fleshed out later. After the fact not before.

They are not a long distant memory. These films are suppose to take place 20-40 years after ROTJ. That is not a long distant memory.

They are/need to erase the post Jedi stuff. I think some are going to have to realize that the films trump all and always will. So yes the EU will be retconned easily. And again, 90% of those events were just poorly written/poor ideas to begin with. I'd rather them have professional writers/Lucas ideas actually make for a better post Jedi universe. Like I said some of the EU stuff was okay, pretty much the Thrawn Trilogy post Jedi. Other than that there was not many great ones. Lucas has said it a million times and I will say it again. The films cannon always trumps everything else. Get use to it.

EDIT:

That and Disney wants to do new EU. Like I've said some of the EU was good, but a lot of it was not. They would just rather start a whole new EU especially post Jedi. They have already confirmed that EA will be making 3 new Star Wars games that will be in this side of the universe including Bioware (makers of KOTOR). I'd rather them have a clean slate, especially if Lucas/Arndt (which I bet will be the case) had much better ideas then the Eu ever did. Lucas always warned people that don't cling too much to the EU. And this is why. They not only want to create a new film free of the ties of some horrible/decent/fewer good ideas they want to create a whole new EU books, TV shows, Video games ect.

Also I believe they said they already have gone to Zahn to make more books in this era too.

Last edited:
They are not a long distant memory. These films are suppose to take place 20-40 years after ROTJ. That is not a long distant memory.

Yeah it is, at least for the children who will be center stage, who probably would not have been born or just really really young when all that went down.

As for the adults like Luke, Han and Leia, they'll probably bring them back in order to finally kill them off.

Last edited:
The only stuff that that could happen to is the really early EU stuff that took place 5-10 years Post Jedi. Other than that the kids will start to have grown up. 90% of that stuff you talked about mainly with the kids of Han and so forth take place like 40-60 years after Jedi. So again that would not work. They have already stated that it will be the next generation of Skywalker, so their kids. Hence all the stuff you mentioned above is no longer and could not work.

The only stuff that that could happen to is the really early EU stuff that took place 5-10 years Post Jedi. Other than that the kids will start to have grown up. 90% of that stuff you talked about mainly with the kids of Han and so forth take place like 40-60 years after Jedi. So again that would not work. They have already stated that it will be the next generation of Skywalker, so their kids. Hence all the stuff you mentioned above is no longer and could not work.

What if the whole sequel trilogy is set 40-60 years post-Jedi to line up with Hamill's, Ford's and Fisher's ages? Another thing, please fix your spelling and punctuation and your English overall. I had to read this at least 3-4 times to understand what you are saying.

(my last post was not well written I'm on a mobile I will admit that).

I'm having trouble understanding where you are going with this thought process. You keep repeating yourself in the thought process that some how the EU (post jedi) will be kept for the most part, when all the clues and news has pointed the other way. The ideas would not work as well and would make things more convoluted. You're clinging to the EU too much. Again for the ONE MILLIONTH TIME Lucas for years has stated all of that is third tier, the films come first, TV second, the rest can (and has in the past) be re-written.

But again it's not going to take place that far. Already most reports have said it's taking place 30 years after. So again, the next generation of Skywalkers. It's probably not going to be the "grandkids" of Skywalker. So again they said the next generation of Skywalker. Not the one after. We don't want them having to deal with all that terribly written EU stuff in there. Only a handful of it was any good. Why would you limit yourself to so many bad ideas that were made in the EU when Lucas has the power to change it, and has said this before.

Last edited:
But again it's not going to take place that far. Already most reports have said it's taking place 30 years after.

That is probably not verified, what are these reports you speak of? Do you even question the sources you read? It's still 2 years away Maybe it was already set 40+ years post-ROTJ and you were fed false information?

It will feature the first generation of the Skywalker/Solo legacy in the form of Ben and Jaina. Sure there was convolution in the past but over time it has reduced(ie by killing Mara Jade, Jacen Solo, Anakin Solo, resolving the big Yuuzhan Vong war with their exile etc etc). Now we are in a unique position where all that is now a distant memory to them and we have only Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Ben and Jaina, with the first 3 likely to die. We can create a fresh "original story" set away from the EU where all the past stuff will have little to no influence. It'll be probably mentioned in passing if it's convenient and that's it.

And "Good" is merely a point of view.

And isn't George Lucas taking a back seat to all this where he has very little influence? Maybe Abrams will have different standards to what goes in rather than what George Lucas feels is cannon-worthy. I mean isn't Abrams a Star Wars-fanboy? He would've come across the EU at one point in his life.

Last edited:
That is probably not verified, what are these reports you speak of? Do you even question the sources you read? It's still 2 years away Maybe it was already set 40+ years post-ROTJ and you were fed false information?

It will feature the first generation of the Skywalker/Solo legacy in the form of Ben and Jaina. Sure there was convolution in the past but over time it has reduced(ie by killing Mara Jade, Jacen Solo, Anakin Solo, resolving the big Yuuzhan Vong war with their exile etc etc). Now we are in a unique position where all that is now a distant memory to them and we have only Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Ben and Jaina, with the first 3 likely to die. We can create a fresh "original story" set away from the EU where all the past stuff will have little to no influence. It'll be probably mentioned in passing if it's convenient and that's it.

And isn't George Lucas taking a back seat to all this where he has very little influence? Maybe Abrams will have different standards to what goes in rather than what George Lucas feels is cannon-worthy. I mean isn't Abrams a Star Wars-fanboy? He would've come across the EU at one point in his life.

Sources of Kathy and them talking about the next generation of the Skywalker family is enough for me. I doubt they are "mis-leading us". So I'm not going to go down that road. I'm not going to play conspiracy theory.

The reason mainly is because George did write the sequel trilogy outline during ESB's production. Leia was not Luke's sister. "The other" that Yoda spoke of was a sister of Luke's that had not been introduced yet. They were going to make her the forefront of the new trilogy. Mark even talked about at the 30th Anniversary of ROTJ (last week) that he was very disappointed to see them shoehorn Leia in to be Luke's brother when originally it was going to lead into the next trilogy.

Lucas gave them the outline from that time period, and they will go from there. And all of that pre-dated all of the EU stuff. So again I will bet my signature on this forum that it will be erased. Because the stuff in the EU was written way after Lucas had some of the outline ideas for the ST.

And again my main source is Lucas saying the books are third tier cannon,and the films will always trump all. There was ideas/things in the Thrawn trilogy that talked about the Clone Wars that were no longer considered cannon after Lucas made the PT. It has happened before and it will happen again mainly since most the EU made has been post Jedi.

This is the wrong thread to talk about this but yes, Solidus is right. It's been documented since October that the films will take place (at least) 30 years after 'Return of the Jedi' and will not be based on any existing story, including the EU. The EU, in which Lucas will cherry pick ideas from sometimes, will be heading into 'elsewhere' land by the time 'Episode 7' comes out.

Unless I'm wrong, that means no Ben Skywalker, Mara Jade, etc. This new trilogy will be based on the original notes of George Lucas, written by Michael Arndt, and supervised by JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan.

That being said, Star Wars fandom is huge. So huge and deep, it's like getting lost in Reddit's many sub-forums. Or if you wanna get old-school..a Russian Doll. You know...when you open a Russian Doll, you have another one inside. Open that, there's an even smaller doll. And so on and so on. That's the EU: A giant rabbit hole. An endless vacuum where the most obscure background character in Episode I can have 10 books dedicated to him.

Fans of the EU, not just Star Wars, are an interesting bunch. Very dedicated but very niche. JJ and the crew aren't interested in adapting; they're interested in telling new stories where you don't know what's going to happen (Kasdan and Simon Kinberg stressed this out). That was the magic of the original trilogy, that the prequels lacked, by just it's narrative handicap of being an origin story.

So yes, by ignoring the EU, it'll piss off a lot of fans. But only the niche variety, where as the very casual Star Wars fan or the General Audience wouldn't care who Thrawn was in the first place.

This is the wrong thread to talk about this but yes, Solidus is right. It's been documented since October that the films will take place (at least) 30 years after 'Return of the Jedi' and will not be based on any existing story, including the EU. The EU, in which Lucas will cherry pick ideas from sometimes, will be heading into 'elsewhere' land by the time 'Episode 7' comes out.

Unless I'm wrong, that means no Ben Skywalker, Mara Jade, etc. This new trilogy will be based on the original notes of George Lucas, written by Michael Arndt, and supervised by JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan.

That being said, Star Wars fandom is huge. So huge and deep, it's like getting lost in Reddit's many sub-forums. Or if you wanna get old-school..a Russian Doll. You know...when you open a Russian Doll, you have another one inside. Open that, there's an even smaller doll. And so on and so on. That's the EU: A giant rabbit hole. An endless vacuum where the most obscure background character in Episode I can have 10 books dedicated to him.

Fans of the EU, not just Star Wars, are an interesting bunch. Very dedicated but very niche. JJ and the crew aren't interested in adapting; they're interested in telling new stories where you don't know what's going to happen (Kasdan and Simon Kinberg stressed this out). That was the magic of the original trilogy, that the prequels lacked, by just it's narrative handicap of being an origin story.

So yes, by ignoring the EU, it'll piss off a lot of fans. But only the niche variety, where as the very casual Star Wars fan or the General Audience wouldn't care who Thrawn was in the first place.

But my hunch of what I hope will happen in Episode VII-IX does not involve any EU story and is quite original.

This is I hope it is in a nutshell and tell me it any of it involves any "convoluted" EU story.

1) New Sith/bad guys appear
2) Jedi/Galactic Alliance fight Sith/antagonists, leading the front lines is none other than Luke, as well as maybe Han and Leia
3)Luke+Ben/Jaina(maybe) face off against the antagonist
4)They realise he's too powerful and Luke dies saving Ben
5)Sometime during the battle, they get overrun and Han and Leia also die in the ensuing chaos
5) Bad guys leave and pretty much take over and go on a galaxy wide manhunt for Ben and Jaina
6)It now falls to Ben/Jaina to save the Skywalker/Solo legacy and escape

That's the story so far, it's kind of a throwback to the opening of the TOR game which I loved and hope I would get to see something like that happen. Did I bring up anything from any novel or any EU lore so far? If they could they could maybe have a Yuuzhan Vong cameo somehwere(as an Easter Egg they'll never revisit) or something else or who really knows. I never said I wanted a movie which refers to "insert novel and page number here". I just want a movie everyone(mostly everyone) hardcore EU fan or casual fan alike will enjoy like The Avengers.

Now tell me that's something J.J. Abrams/Kathleen Kennerdy/Michael Ardnt does not want to do.

You also further proved my point saying that the movie will take place at least 30 years since ROTJ and I'm pretty sure 40+ can be included in that range. We'll probably find out more until later in 2014 at least.

P.S. Yes I do understand that this is the wrong thread to talk about this sort of stuff, and yes we should move this.

EU is firmly out. And I honestly don't know why people find this offensive in some way. Well, I do actually. They've been reading and liking it for a long time so they're attached to it, but still... Lucas always made it clear he considers it pretty far down the food chain and that he disagrees with lots of it's points, big and small. The only reason he allowed them to get away with so much is because he thought he'd never make the REAL sequels to Return of the Jedi. Now they're happening, and they shouldn't have to conform to, as some above called it, "authorised fan fiction".

And yeah, it is pretty convoluted now. Not to mention miserable.

I saw this posted on the site that should not be named.
Pretty cool. Not my work.
qi5Hfge.jpg

Nailed it.

The Falcon one is really awesome.

I really like those, though I doubt we will see too much of the Imperial Remnants, that imagery is just pure awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"